so why exactly is MS still charging us $50 a year for live? [enough arguing]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Littlefields']What? It just so happens Xbox Live is the biggest online gaming community on consoles. 12 year old children and assholes are always going to be on mics and game rooms universally. So yes, less people playing = less possibility of screaming kids. That goes without saying regadless of "if you have to pay or not."[/QUOTE]

Add to the fact that 360's come with free mic headsets. Other systems on the other hand you have to buy either a separate headset or one that comes bundled with a games of course you're gonna have more annoying people on there.

[quote name='DPsx7']Why can't you just admit Live is nothing more than a collection of children? I'm not saying the smack talk NEVER happens on other systems but it's far less infrequent and like was said you're not paying for it. If you're thick enough to throw away money on this shouldn't you get SOMETHING that isn't available on every other console? Oh, besides ads of course.[/QUOTE]

I can deal with the smack talk as I did often when I had my ps3 60gb and would play mgs4, socom and especially on cod 4. But it was free so can't really complain nor expect much out of it. Sure, the 360 has party chat, netflix streaming but you have to pay for it, better xbl arcade games and a few other things but it's not worth paying retail price for an xbl subscription so as I stated if you can find it cheaper then even better. Also, I never said it didn't happen on other systems because it does. But all I do is just talk smack or ignore them just depends on how i'm feeling at the moment. But being able to upgrade ya hard drive on the ps3 is good and use bluetooth headset which some people already have is awesome too. I really like my 360 but having to pay for every accessory like a headset, rechargeable battery pack, then the plug n charge kit or even the rechargeable stand is ridiculous. Everything starts adding up and your gaming addiction becomes costly. Good thing for cag though you save alot.

[quote name='DPsx7'] If you're thick enough to throw away money on this shouldn't you get SOMETHING that isn't available on every other console? Oh, besides ads of course.[/QUOTE]

Well, for about the 50th time the Netflix streaming right to my TV without having to buy a Netflix box or hook up a PC or use the streaming program etc. is worth the $35 a year I've been paying by itself. I'd pay a good bit more just for that service and convenience by itself.

[quote name='TheRock88']Add to the fact that 360's come with free mic headsets. Other systems on the other hand you have to buy either a separate headset or one that comes bundled with a games of course you're gonna have more annoying people on there.[/QUOTE]

There are annoying people everywhere. Especially on the 360! Oh and I bought the warhawk bundle with the bluetooth headset for $20 so it's not a bad deal and the 360 arcade don't come with a headset. I had to buy a wireless one separate along with a hard drive separate. You should just stop while your ahead. Unless you own or have owned all the consoles I don't think you should try and speak on it just makes you look like a fanboy. :applause:

[quote name='intoxicated662']There are annoying people everywhere. Especially on the 360! Oh and I bought the warhawk bundle with the bluetooth headset for $20 so it's not a bad deal and the 360 arcade don't come with a headset. I had to buy a wireless one separate along with a hard drive separate. You should just stop while your ahead. Unless you own or have owned all the consoles I don't think you should try and speak on it just makes you look like a fanboy. :applause:[/QUOTE]
You do realize he has a PSN tag right?

[quote name='intoxicated662']There are annoying people everywhere. Especially on the 360! Oh and I bought the warhawk bundle with the bluetooth headset for $20 so it's not a bad deal and the 360 arcade don't come with a headset. I had to buy a wireless one separate along with a hard drive separate. You should just stop while your ahead. Unless you own or have owned all the consoles I don't think you should try and speak on it just makes you look like a fanboy. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Uh, I do own all the systems.

Playing online is key and it is okay on xbl. Bust you can't honestly justify the $50 price tag microsoft charges you for the various reasons stated previously is what i've been saying all along. Racism, cheating, lagging, modders, etc. I have setup games before in cod 4 on ps3 by going to a pre game lobby, inviting them, then starting a game. The only difference is there's no party chat but it's no biggie. Besides, I go online to play. I don't care about what my friend and his wife or gf are arguing about in the background. Not everyone is like that. But i just don't justify paying that much for live. It is better because of a few other features that the ps3 don't have but those are optional. Am just answering the op by stating why I think it's not worth paying or. Also, every time I log into xbl and after matchmaking I always get people asking for 48 hour trial codes, a month etc. Even message me saying they'll boost me for a 1 month. Lol some of the corniest things people do.

[quote name='TheRock88']Try setting up a game of Call of Duty 4 with some friends over PSN and then with Live and tell me which one is better.[/QUOTE]

CoD4 for 360 > CoD4 for PS3

PS3 never even got an update for rumble, lol. 360 even had a beta.

You're a retard and what are you applauding? Yourself?

[quote name='intoxicated662']Playing online is key and it is okay on xbl. Bust you can't honestly justify the $50 price tag microsoft charges you for the various reasons stated previously is what i've been saying all along. Racism, cheating, lagging, modders, etc. I have setup games before in cod 4 on ps3 by going to a pre game lobby, inviting them, then starting a game. The only difference is there's no party chat but it's no biggie. Besides, I go online to play. I don't care about what my friend and his wife or gf are arguing about in the background. Not everyone is like that. But i just don't justify paying that much for live. It is better because of a few other features that the ps3 don't have but those are optional. Am just answering the op by stating why I think it's not worth paying or. Also, every time I log into xbl and after matchmaking I always get people asking for 48 hour trial codes, a month etc. Even message me saying they'll boost me for a 1 month. Lol some of the corniest things people do.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me, but my balls really aren't going to lick themselves.

On PS3, there would have been at least a 15 minute wait while my trolling installed itself to your hard drive. Thanks to XBL, you got that shit instantly.

[quote name='TheRock88']Oh cause that never happens on other online services like PSN or pc games. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It's kinda hard to lag switch when the PS3 has dedicated servers. It's also hard to have host advantage when it's companies that own the servers instead of your internet connection being the host. Though I will agree on racism on both consoles. It's just far more common on live. For every insult I hear on PSN, I hear about fifty on live. I actually do find it kind of funny in a way because every once in a while, you hear some really unique really out there kinds of insults.

I'd gladly pay $30 or so a year for an online experience like Xbox Live on the Wii. Just thinking about games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl combined with XBL is :drool::drool::drool:

[quote name='Ryukahn']I'd gladly pay $30 or so a year for an online experience like Xbox Live on the Wii. Just thinking about games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl combined with XBL is :drool::drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

And in TWENTY YEARS. Nintendo MAY consider it!

[quote name='Paco']It's kinda hard to lag switch when the PS3 has dedicated servers. It's also hard to have host advantage when it's companies that own the servers instead of your internet connection being the host. Though I will agree on racism on both consoles. It's just far more common on live. For every insult I hear on PSN, I hear about fifty on live. I actually do find it kind of funny in a way because every once in a while, you hear some really unique really out there kinds of insults.[/QUOTE]

After beating a guy on live in SF4, he ragequit before i got the last hit, then he messaged me with "you're a fuckIN PORCH MONKEY!!"

Its comments like that, that give Xbox Live the Zest it has today. Deeeelicious.

[quote name='Paco']It's kinda hard to lag switch when the PS3 has dedicated servers. It's also hard to have host advantage when it's companies that own the servers instead of your internet connection being the host. Though I will agree on racism on both consoles. It's just far more common on live. For every insult I hear on PSN, I hear about fifty on live. I actually do find it kind of funny in a way because every once in a while, you hear some really unique really out there kinds of insults.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit, a lag switch has nothing to do with the server type, it is a switch that puts your modem in standby for a few seconds and allows you to teleport basically. The huge downside to a lag switch is that you basically have to find a good spot to hide if you want to go long distances on the map or you will basically only get 1-2 people tops before your body gets shot in the spot you are standing at (I experienced these issues on the PS2 back when SOCOM 2 and 3 were the newest games). BTW, even though the PSN runs on dedicated servers from the companies, they still pick a host (I have watched and played the PS3 version of CoD 4 in which the host ended the match). It is still P2P hosting for the actual matches at least in some games, so there is a host advantage as well. The only difference is once the company gets sick of maintaining those servers the game gets shut down where as only EA titles and maybe a couple of games have ever done that on the 360. Please stay misinformed and argue false points, I don't mind proving you wrong.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Deeeelicious.[/QUOTE]

2462601788_675e168557.jpg

[quote name='blitz6speed']After beating a guy on live in SF4, he ragequit before i got the last hit, then he messaged me with "you're a fuckIN PORCH MONKEY!!"

Its comments like that, that give Xbox Live the Zest it has today. Deeeelicious.[/QUOTE]

And if anyone had a headset on the PSN you would hear the same damn thing. I heard plenty of this stuff back in my PS2 days, it is not only XBL.

I find that people on PSN are a lot more quiet. It's a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, you kind of want that interaction with other people, on the other hand, when there is interaction (like on xbl) it's usually nothing but BS.

For me, PSN is enough. I actually don't play online that much since I've run into way too much cheating and junk. It just isn't fun. So I stick to playing against the cpu.

I still think xbl should be free. I know people are saying that they've added a lot like netflix streaming, but MS did it for its own benefit, as they want to be the middle of your living room. All part of the MS eco-system.

[quote name='distgfx']CoD4 for 360 > CoD4 for PS3

PS3 never even got an update for rumble, lol. 360 even had a beta.[/QUOTE]

That's the one game I played on both consoles back when I had a 360 and they seemed exactly the same to me.

[quote name='KingBroly']I could think of a few other games that could have servers die instead of Chromehounds. Also...I didn't think any XBL game could remove online play except Sports games.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure that SEGA would have had an option to allow MS to run the servers, but chose not to in order for there to be more players (see P2P basically only allowing 16 players max). I could honestly be wrong since I never touched the multiplayer on Chromehounds, but from reading the thread about them shutting the servers down it seems they hold a decent amount of people at once.

I can't believe people still botching about $50 a month when they subscribe to cable/satellite and only watch a fraction of the channels, pay monthly for faster Internet than they need, pay monthly for a cell phone with more features than they use, etc. All of these things I bet cost more a fucking month than XBL costs in a year yet you still bitch about the price of what is hands down the best online console experience you can get.

There's a whole lot of choice in CHOOSING to pay for Live.
It's a service, it's what they offer, and until PSN offers a comparable experience there really is no comparison.

Xbox Live puts itself first...even before the console whereas PSN has taken a different approach.

Vibrancy vs. Selective Choice...

people seem to prefer the vibrant interaction of Live and what it offers.

but then I found a 13 month card for $28 so I'm not upset at all.

[quote name='whoknows']That's the one game I played on both consoles back when I had a 360 and they seemed exactly the same to me.[/QUOTE]

Oh... really? Must of just had a bad experience here then. I didn't play it like crazy, lol.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, for about the 50th time the Netflix streaming right to my TV without having to buy a Netflix box or hook up a PC or use the streaming program etc. is worth the $35 a year I've been paying by itself. I'd pay a good bit more just for that service and convenience by itself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...if you've already got a Netflix account, or if you're willing to pay more per month to set up that subscription.

Netflix may be nice if you've got it for your 360, but it's also the single worst way to justify the cost of Xbox Live. You can do the same on your PC without spending $50 a year for Live.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']To: Everyone

Your console of preference sucks.

Sincerely,

Whoknows[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, the PS3 does suck.[/QUOTE]

360 and PS3 sucks.

Supergun 4 lyfe yo

You guys are like Fox news. You bitch about shit for gold (specifically getting shit first on multiplatform games) and then I show you one fucking example of what you were bitching about and then instead of being like "Oh, well I guess you DO get that sometimes as a gold member" you instead bitch about/make fun of it. WTF? You people are going to have great careers working for Fox News.

[quote name='Malik112099']You guys are like Fox news. You bitch about shit for gold (specifically getting shit first on multiplatform games) and then I show you one fucking example of what you were bitching about and then instead of being like "Oh, well I guess you DO get that sometimes as a gold member" you instead bitch about/make fun of it. WTF? You people are going to have great careers working for Fox News.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you like Fox News? ;)

I don't think anybody took this topic very seriously in the first place. Good effort, but still a waste in the end.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']when will people realize that online console gaming sucks and PC is and always will be the best for online play?[/QUOTE]
That's true. The PC versions of Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3 will be the definitive versions, making it easier to see which one has better online code, as opposed to playing each game on a different system's online service. OH, WAIT....:lol::lol::lol:

What I'd like to know is how in the hell does MS justify charging for Live, and then turn around and tell developers that they can't give their games (Braid, or example) or DLC (Like the upcoming L4D DLC) away for free, despite it being free on the PC. This alone is enough for me to give up on Live when I'm done with the two year cards I have left (Thank gawd they were less than $10 apiece)...and with a brand new desktop with some power and the PS3 dropping in price, it's time to explore some alternatives. :bomb:

Lol, the fact that I have to pay for live doesn't get to me, but the fact that they discontinued 1 month cards is what pissed me off. I don't play games a lot, so I used to only buy 1 month. I don't see the reason of buying 3 months when I'd hardly play it during then. That's what made me decide to look into alternatives.

So is Madden 10 free online play on PSN? I read some articles indicating they were thinking of charging extra (EA). (I know the game has tons of microtransactions, but that isn't what I am talking about.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back