SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

[quote name='metaly']When do you guys usually play? I've been meaning to trade away my bundle but it's been sitting here on my desk and I keep thinking about trying it out. I've never played a SOCOM before though.[/quote]

You should. I think you would like it.

Edit- West 7 8v8 Ranked Medley 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking of getting into this game but have a few questions.

When you all say "skill" do matches generally go to the fastest finger/best aim or best tactics? I play other shooters, but ever since leaving the PC I find myself at a distinct disadvantage without my mouse. I take a very tactical approach to my shooters, but find it tough to overcome the lack of precision in joystick controls.

Also which of the old games would give me a good idea of what this one is like?
I am tempted to buy it for just the mic, but as a member of the RLS if I wait long enough I could get one for free. I like the idea of the customization, but I am worried about the gameplay.

HOw

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I have been thinking of getting into this game but have a few questions.

When you all say "skill" do matches generally go to the fastest finger/best aim or best tactics? I play other shooters, but ever since leaving the PC I find myself at a distinct disadvantage without my mouse. I take a very tactical approach to my shooters, but find it tough to overcome the lack of precision in joystick controls.

Also which of the old games would give me a good idea of what this one is like?
I am tempted to buy it for just the mic, but as a member of the RLS if I wait long enough I could get one for free. I like the idea of the customization, but I am worried about the gameplay.

HOw[/quote]

Best tactics are seriously rewarded in this game. Although gunplay skill is still evident, the team with the most teamwork will beat the more skilled team every time. Easily the most tactical shooter on consoles bar none.
Some people compare it to Counterstrike, but really unless you have played Socom 2 not much compares. I guess maybe a mix of MGO and GRAW? I dont know. It is the best realistic shooter out though thats for sure, even with the missing features.

Yeah I play ranked 4on4 every night pretty much. Im sure mdamore would be down too. Just post whatever time you can make it and we will meet up.

i tend to play this at least twice a week now, send a friend request to zychi if you want to play tonight. ill be on for sure, so ill play with whoever is serious about having some fun.

[quote name='t_durden']I picked up the game and am interested in playing. Where would you guys recommend I start at so I don't piss people off.[/quote]

What he said :) I just got the game, haven't even tried it yet, but know that I will really, really suck at it for awhile. I will take the advice mentioned. I'd be happy to join the CAG group once I get up to speed or if you need a sacrificial lamb for anything!

Keith
psn - cusemanKeith
feel free to add/invite me

[quote name='lt_homer']i tend to play this at least twice a week now, send a friend request to zychi if you want to play tonight. ill be on for sure, so ill play with whoever is serious about having some fun.[/quote]

Sent. Lets finally get it poppin tonight

Pending Friend Invites to- Goldbug74, LethalGod and zychi Once you guys accept I will add you to the clan. Regardless we are playing tonight at 10 or 11pm EST. Which works better for everyone? Post here...

[quote name='m_d_amore']sounds good

America v Europe can be fun cant find the smokosplifo srvr :([/quote]

Haha

America vs Europe 8v8 medley ranked 1
Squad Up!

[quote name='woodcan']Can't get on until now....looks like I missed it :whistle2:([/quote]

Yeah :cry: Good news is we may have picked up another player in MGS4_Ocelot.

Sorry for dipping out like that mdamore, I froze up after getting killed

[quote name='toocool17']I was ready to play last night, I logged in and joined the game, and my internet went out. Let me know when you guys are playing again.[/quote]

Yeah dude that sucked. As soon as you joined the room too. Ill be on today so if you hop on send me a message and we can team up

I ordered this 'bout a week ago and I believe it's waiting on me back at campus, so if anyone is up for a game Monday night, add me :). Besides the ones on PSP, this is my first console Socom game, soo... :/

PSN: kagethebest (I believe this is it)

[quote name='Darklighter']Is this worth $25? How is the multiplayer experience now (I know there were tons of issues at launch)?[/quote]

I'd like to know as well. I enjoyed the beta very much but wanted to wait it out for a few patches/trophies..

Since new update looks to be coming soon I may pick it up soon but if it keeps doing a system freeze where I have to hold the power to shutdown, then I'm a def no go, not worth it.

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah :cry: Good news is we may have picked up another player in MGS4_Ocelot.

Sorry for dipping out like that mdamore, I froze up after getting killed[/quote]

I was horrible the other night. I usually don't do that badly. I am not saying I am great either. Anyway, sorry for dropping out too. That was the second time it froze so I just went to sleep.

[quote name='Darklighter']Is this worth $25? How is the multiplayer experience now (I know there were tons of issues at launch)?[/quote]

Most issues have been taken care of. The actual gameplay is pretty much bug free now. In case you didnt know, it is MP only. But there is no MP experience like Socom. Best shooter on PS3 for sure.

[quote name='aznguyen316']I'd like to know as well. I enjoyed the beta very much but wanted to wait it out for a few patches/trophies..

Since new update looks to be coming soon I may pick it up soon but if it keeps doing a system freeze where I have to hold the power to shutdown, then I'm a def no go, not worth it.[/quote]

Definetely not freezing up anymore. Patch 1.3 with trophies and the rest of bug fixes will be here in the next 2 weeks so I would say do it. Considering how much you played the beta, I thought you would have it by now. Either way, there is a clan invite waiting for you!

[quote name='Bretts31344']I was horrible the other night. I usually don't do that badly. I am not saying I am great either. Anyway, sorry for dropping out too. That was the second time it froze so I just went to sleep.[/quote]

Its all good man. We all have our nights. Actually me and Lethal were in a room last night with 6 other peeps from another clan and just got demolished. Didnt even win a round for 2 matches. It was always me and Lethal at the top of our teams scoreboard though.;) As soon as that one guy on our team started glitching on top of the computer room, I left and went to bed.

Anyways I think I have figured out who our "regulars" are as of now:
SmogItUp
mdamore
fleshribbon
LethalGod
MGS4_Ocelot

Whenever any of you guys are on hit me up. It is so much better going into a room with another clan member. Ill be back on Sunday

I'm going to snap this up as soon as I can find the headset bundle for a reasonable price. How noob-friendly is the CAG Clan? I don't want to drag down the effort.

Noobs Welcome!!!!!!! Not serious in the least bit. Maybe when the in-game clan ladders get put in we can step it up a notch, but still no worries man.

Definetely not freezing up anymore. Patch 1.3 with trophies and the rest of bug fixes will be here in the next 2 weeks so I would say do it. Considering how much you played the beta, I thought you would have it by now. Either way, there is a clan invite waiting for you!

awesome to hear. I did have it, bought the bundle but after seeing the issues still at launch, I kept the headset and sold off the game for a good price, knowing I could pick it up later at a very reasonable price due to all the resellers for the headset. I have some extra goozex points I think I'll go ahead and use toward it. Will hit you up whenever that happens for the clan invite =D

yea guys the more the merrier . if you cant get it cheap on BF you can always get it used for like 20-25. nice price for a great MP game

I wish there was a demo for this game. It looks like a nice change of pace from all the shooters that are out right now, but I'm iffy about buying a game I haven't tried playing. Anyways do a lot of people play this? These multiplayer only games worry me. I could really like a game but be forced into "early retirement" because no one else plays, which is why I've put off getting Warhawk as well.

[quote name='arnoldhead']I wish there was a demo for this game. It looks like a nice change of pace from all the shooters that are out right now, but I'm iffy about buying a game I haven't tried playing. Anyways do a lot of people play this? These multiplayer only games worry me. I could really like a game but be forced into "early retirement" because no one else plays, which is why I've put off getting Warhawk as well.[/QUOTE]

buy it used at gamestop play it see if you like it . they have a 7 day return policy for full refund or you can rent it

theres always a bunch of servers on socom and warhawk as well dont let the online only shy you away

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah dude 2000 people still play SOCOM 2 online on PS2 everyday. Socom: Confrontation will be around for a long time[/QUOTE]The game STILL hasn't even officially launched in Europe yet (it will once Patch 1.3 gets released, since SCEE wants to release a more finished SOCOM Confrontation to Europe). Europe should bring in a lot of of people (especially since most Sony first party published games do well there).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The game STILL hasn't even officially launched in Europe yet (it will once Patch 1.3 gets released, since SCEE wants to release a more finished SOCOM Confrontation to Europe). Europe should bring in a lot of of people (especially since most Sony first party published games do well there).[/quote]

Actually it has been delayed to early 2009 in Europe. That will bring a lot of players though for sure

[quote name='m_d_amore']no doubt i see stranded online so 1 more then we cann get some 4x4 goin[/QUOTE]

I just got in the CAG Clan. How do I find you guys on line to play? I'm new to the game but started to get the hang of it last night and had a blast. I'm in the game now.

[quote name='Cigarl']I just got in the CAG Clan. How do I find you guys on line to play? I'm new to the game but started to get the hang of it last night and had a blast. I'm in the game now.[/quote]

Im about to get online now. The temporary way to invite friends is to enter a lobby and hit select to bring up your friends list. You can send invites through the game that way, or you can just message in the XMB which is usually quicker

[quote name='msilver9']Hey, smiggity, I sent you and a few other people a friend request. I just got my PS3 back along with Socom :).[/quote]

Awesome. Look forward to putting in some work this weekend. I would suggest you add mdamore as well since he plays all the time too.

[quote name='aznguyen316']has stat tracking been fixed? Does it work?[/quote]

Somewhat. If you leave a clan your stats will get messed up. However the only stat that is not tracking correctly is win %. Im at like 50% but it only says 1.1%. Everything else is good.

[quote name='81dollars']when is the patch coming???

I'm not going to play it until we get the 1.30 patch[/quote]

Probably not until next week.

bread's done
Back