SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

[quote name='starmask2k3']so what was the point of preordering now to get the beta[/QUOTE]

About the same as buying Qore ep 1 just for the beta when it came out....

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/08/Sneak-Peek-More-Beta-Info.aspx

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Seth announced the details of the public beta last week, and I'm here to drop some more information on you on what's going into the beta.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As planned right now, the beta is going to involve Crossroads and Crossroads Large, the 16 and 32 player variations. You've seen the screens and videos, and maybe even figured out the general layout of the map, but you'll get a month to play on it yourself.[/FONT][FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Beyond that, you'll have access to the full range of game modes. Extraction, Elimination, Suppression, and everything else are going to be represented. You'll be able to adjust the settings how you like, as well. Lock out certain weapons, or even entire weapon classes, if you like. If you hate M4s for some reason, you can shut them out of your game.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Character customization will be in, as well, from body armor to camo to headgear and beyond. There will also be clan support and stat tracking, but be aware that these will all be reset at launch.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Think of the beta as a test drive. It'll be the first time the gaming community at large, and SOCOM.com members in particular, get a crack at the game. The month'll let the team check gameplay, server stress, and a host of other important things. It'll be an interesting ride.[/FONT]

Any Bluetooth headset should work but the sound quality will vary. I had trouble using my Motorola H3 Bluetooth with the PS3 as it had horrible sound quality and would give me feedback.

[quote name='Malik112099']shit...i need a headset for the beta...any blue tooth headset will work on the ps3, right? (im still VERY new to this console)[/quote]

correct

[quote name='Razzuel']Does anyone know when GameStop will be emailing the beta codes out?[/quote]

I e-mailed them a few days ago and got a reply on Thursday saying they would be e-mailed within the next 24-48 hours, which would be by today. I haven't seen anything in my inbox or spam folder yet though. Guess I'll just wait until Monday and ask them again, though I bet they'll just end up giving me the same response.

Wow, look at the latest poll on their site:

Which Confrontation will you buy?
Options:
PSN (393) 6%
Disc (898) 14%
Bluetooth Bundle (5023) 80%
Total of votes : 6314
Surprised PSN is so low.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I can get it on the PSN tax free, but then again there is the resell value factor. But if I play it a long time and they keep adding updates, like warhawk, I wonder if I will ever get around to trading it for a decent value.

Only reason I'm doing the $60 version is for the headset. I didn't like the one that came with Warhawk too much, but it's good enough to be my phone's headset in case I ever need one for it.

[quote name='smiggity']I wonder how it is working with Qore ep 1[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as well since I have a free download code from Playstation the Official Magazine. Going to start downloading it in a minute.

I'm not sure which version I want, I want the bundle because of the headset; but I have TWO BT headsets that i'm not completely satisfied with, and I am also thinking of getting the disk version just incase I would want to sell it later..

[quote name='freshzen']I'm curious as well since I have a free download code from Playstation the Official Magazine. Going to start downloading it in a minute.[/quote]
Qore doesn't get in to the beta until the week after it starts.

[quote name='help1']Sort of disappointed that Qore gets it a week later.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Oh, well. I'm still looking very forward to see how the game is, because I've never played socom before.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are you really expecting the codes right now? The beta doesn't start for another two weeks.[/quote]

Yeah, though I'm talking about the voucher code since I pre-ordered with in-store pickup online.

Edit: Just called GameStop customer service and they told me to bring my receipt to the store I pre-ordered it at with in-store pickup for my voucher. Guess I'll go do that today.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are you really expecting the codes right now? The beta doesn't start for another two weeks.[/quote]

Yeah sort of, I was expecting the voucher code soonish, but only because GameStop's description is ambigious.

I mean then again it is ambigious so who knows when they will send them out:

"Online / In-Store Pickup Customers: Your code and instructions will be emailed to you. Please provide a valid email address at time of reservation."

I have never really played Socom. I played it for the PS2 single player and I really didn't like it (didn't get a chance to play online). I am mostly interested in the new headset since my Warhawk one sucks. Will I enjoy the game? How was Socom online?

Just recieved this e-mail.

Dear SOCOM Recruit,
Thank you for reserving SOCOM Confrontation from GameStop/EBgames.com. This e-mail contains your orders and top-secret Beta clearance code (so don't lose it).
First things first, go to publicbeta.socom.com to redeem your Beta clearance code (see below) and register for the SOCOM Confrontation Public Beta. You will need to provide your PLAYSTATION Network Online ID and PSN email address. To accept this mission you will also need to agree to the Public Beta Trial Agreement. Once the Public Beta is available, your Beta Promotion Code will be emailed to you at the address you provided when registering your PLAYSTATION Network account.
IMPORTANT: Redeem your beta promotion code first on the PLAYSTATION Network, and then share the code with two friends to join you in the Public Beta.

So are people really going to be getting three codes for the beta to hand out to friends? If this is the case and anyone here would be willing to give me a code I would really appreciate it =)

does anyone know if we have to do anything besides go to that site included with the e-mail and register there? do we have to go on psn and do something? directions are very weak :whistle2:/

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, you get one code that can be used twice. You really shouldn't be begging for codes here either.[/quote]

twice more once you use it (just clarifying for people who aren't familiar with this)

and yes...begging for codes is :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I already asked numerous times in various threads about people sharing their beta codes with me. Just saying. I don't expect any favors though (because my luck is terrible). Just trying to help grow the CAG community for PS3 games.

I canceled my amazon order and pre-ordered at Gamestop. Once I get the code, I'll be inviting 2 lucky CAG members =)

People should have something in the contest section for extra codes, or maybe donate them to cheapy/wombat or the shipwrecks to give away if you want to help the cag PS3 community. Maybe we can even get cheapy to join the cag clan, he's a socom fan if I remember correctly.

I'm still wondering if I'll really play this already owning and enjoying warhawk and COD4 and with resistance 2 and killzone 2 in the near future. I never thought I'd say that PS3 has too many shooters.

This is probably a dumb question but...is there Single Player?
Because my PS3 is messed up on NAT3 so if I can't fix it theres pretty much no point in me buying it.

[quote name='Azumangaman']This is probably a dumb question but...is there Single Player?
Because my PS3 is messed up on NAT3 so if I can't fix it theres pretty much no point in me buying it.[/quote]

no single player socom this time...

[quote name='Malik112099']no single player socom this time...[/QUOTE]
didnt see this so i thought id try you guys here. is this going to be playable via lan?

bread's done
Back