SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

Beta is running a lot smoother tonight versus last night.

How do I equip a silencer? Is that in the same category as the grenade launcher?

[quote name='Mojimbo']Beta is running a lot smoother tonight versus last night.

How do I equip a silencer? Is that in the same category as the grenade launcher?[/quote]

I just found this out. On the attachements part 1 or 2, press over right to go through the various parts on the gun, very similar to MGS4 if you've played.

You lose accuracy and range when using a silencer.

Remember that they don't have a set damage model for SOCOM, which is interesting. Bullet damage is based on the basic bullet damage then modified by things like range, location hit, how many and what kind of objects the bullet passed through. In fact, you can shoot someone in the arm and have the bullet go through the arm into his torso causing extra damage.

I tried on the suppressor and it seems to improve accuracy according to the stats layout. Haven't been able to try it out though.

I "applied" to be apart of the CAG clan, not sure who gets it but I was browsing the community and through PSN: StarKat (naempht sp?) I applied so whover, add me! user: JizzyFTW

I noticed my settings like controller and original view is not saved when you first start the match. I have to go into settings and controller settings but they're already changed but when I exit out they revert to what they are saved as. annoying.

[quote name='Malik112099']you tap O to change fire type (single, burst, auto, etc) and to switch to the grenade launcher....when you tap it you will cycle through the fire types (shown as bullets) and then you will come to the grenade launcher which looks like this:

-----
..+
-----

as for switching weapons...hold O and choose one weapon you will use a lot and then do it again for a second weapon...after that if you press L1 you will quick change between the two[/quote]
Thanks for the explanation Malik. Hopefully I get a chance to try this out tonight.
I am also going to try a ranked server. I suspect no respawn games are much more tactical than the run'n gun games I have been playing.

at this point the beta has saved me from buying the full release and being dissappointed.
its hard to know how different the retail version will be. and how much of my experience is related to connection issues. in a tactical game i want presice controls and movement. im not getting that.
if it was a fluid as ghost recon itd be perfect.

this beta makes my ps3 reboot randomly. I might be getting out of a match and going back to the lobby or getting out of the game. very scary.

JizzyFTW add me as a friend.

I cannot add anyone to the clan b/c there are too many pending invitations.
Please check your clan page, Invites are out to most people on my list

wow frisky I'm surprised. I just got another voucher from gamestop and entered it in on publicbeta.socom.com and got the beta e-mail from them a minute later, no joke.. so I have d/l code. Do you want a code? b/c I'm pretty sure you're gettin missed/screwed. I'll share one with you if you promise only to use one of the downloads. I have friends that are unable to get the beta preorder so I went and pre-ordered another GS for them for the code. PM me.

[quote name='aznguyen316']I just found this out. On the attachements part 1 or 2, press over right to go through the various parts on the gun, very similar to MGS4 if you've played.[/quote]

Nice. Didn't even notice that. I never hit right/left, just went with default areas.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Never played a socom before, but it looks like a larger scale 3rd person shooter Counter Strike. Am I anywhere near close?[/quote]

Thats the vibe I was getting. Definitely in the same ballpark.

[quote name='paz9x']at this point the beta has saved me from buying the full release and being dissappointed.
its hard to know how different the retail version will be. and how much of my experience is related to connection issues. in a tactical game i want presice controls and movement. im not getting that.
if it was a fluid as ghost recon itd be perfect.[/quote]

If you're basing a final opinion on a beta then you're not the kind of person that should be playing a beta.

I'd wait for a demo, or reviews, or a rental before making a final decision because betas are for fixing those exact problems you mention. Things like connection, controls, and graphics issues and more.

And I don't know what you're talking about with GRAW's fluidity of controls. It may have seemed fluid, but GRAW's controls could get very sluggish at times.

[quote name='smiggity']Any interest in getting a game going tonight? I could probably host a 4on4 CAG match if you guys want.[/quote]

If I can stay awake, sure :D Just accepted the clan invite (must of not seen it yesterday when I was on, nor did I see the game invite). Anyways, now we have 5 CAGs.

On a side note, anyone know how exactly the rankings go? Some have the silver stripe while others have the butterfinger (hopefully some ol Socomer's know what I'm talking about). I figured it's because the rankings haven't been implemented yet, but still wondering. Any thoughts/ideas?

This game is broken. I seem to always die and never get any kills!

Anyway, I hope they fix this lag for the real game. Playing the beta gave me that SOCOM rush.

[quote name='smiggity']

Thats the vibe I was getting. Definitely in the same ballpark.[/quote]

I've gotta get my ass in this beta then. Can you still preorder to get in?

[quote name='DarthPuma']I've gotta get my ass in this beta then. Can you still preorder to get in?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can as long as there are vouchers available. Call your local gamestop if they have it, then yeah. I submitted a voucher code at publicbeta.socom.com today and got the e-mail only a minute later so you're still good to go. According to the voucher you must redeem by 9/23/08

So I'm kinda late downloading this, even though I had my code since 9/5. Someone fill me in on the new shit, cause I'm too lazy to go read all 15 pages :lol:

[quote name='Vanigan']If you're basing a final opinion on a beta then you're not the kind of person that should be playing a beta.

I'd wait for a demo, or reviews, or a rental before making a final decision because betas are for fixing those exact problems you mention. Things like connection, controls, and graphics issues and more.

And I don't know what you're talking about with GRAW's fluidity of controls. It may have seemed fluid, but GRAW's controls could get very sluggish at times.[/QUOTE]

i shouldve been more clear. the demo saved me from my pre-order/day one purchase. i will indeed wait to ensure those issues are corrected.

my reference to graw was aimed towards how fluidly you move and sight-in/switch shoulder views. imo theres an increased break in targeting when switching.
in fairness i pointed out i wasnt sure how much of my problems where connection related.

Just got around to trying it out (thanks again, aznguyen316!) and here's the results:

-Got to game with a free spot, joined, waited the 10 minutes for it to load, saw a minute of gameplay before the end of the round, heard people talking at the score screen, and after a few minutes, I realized it had frozen when I noticed that I hadn't heard anybody talk for a few minutes.

-Loaded up again, went into the same room, and it froze while trying to see if I could add myself to my own friends list.

So, yeah. :lol:

played again late last night, two different times.. one I was stuck in wait room for about 15 min before giving up lol, I just banged online while i waited, quit for about an hour and a half.

second I waited about 4-5 minutes to load, and played through an entire game (6 rounds each side) on demolition and then we went back to lobby and reloaded into another entire game (once again 6 rounds each side) of terrorist extraction. I didn't do great but it was fun! I think this was better b/c it was about 2AM EST less stress on the servers.

I'm still working out my weapon loadout figuring out what works best for the mercs. Any suggestions? I've tried ak47 and m16 both are decent weapons but not great. On either weapon I only have one attachment (scope) so yeah any suggestions would be great. For commando I have m4a1 w/ suppressor and front grip.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just got around to trying it out (thanks again, aznguyen316!) and here's the results:

-Got to game with a free spot, joined, waited the 10 minutes for it to load, saw a minute of gameplay before the end of the round, heard people talking at the score screen, and after a few minutes, I realized it had frozen when I noticed that I hadn't heard anybody talk for a few minutes.

-Loaded up again, went into the same room, and it froze while trying to see if I could add myself to my own friends list.

So, yeah. :lol:[/quote]

I got the same issues as Frisky. Saturday was really bad and I couldn't get into a game. It would freeze at the loading screen. When you try to quit, it shut the system off. Sunday morning I finally got into a working game after some loading.

It seemed ok. I had quite a bit of laggy matches so I'll reserve judgment on graphics and performance for now. Controls were confusing at first. About customizing controls, can you not map FIRE to R2?? Not that R2 is perfect, but I wanted to see what it would be like. I tried to move things around but it wouldn't let me switch those two.

Main issue...I had no sound, voiceover or ambient. I'd get the occasional background music but that's it. Anybody else have probs w/ sound?

It's too early to say, but it seems like the kind of Socom I like. Just not sure it's gonna hold up w/ all the games coming out this holiday season. If they fix it up a bit, I'd be on board for $40. We'll see if the beta gets better.

smiggity: The game crashed and I didn't go back in after it crashed twice. I'll check my invites later to free up space.

I sent an application to cag once again but this time looking through your profile smiggity. not sure what else I have to do or if you need to do whatever for me to get into the clan lol

Besides it taking a long time to get in a game, I haven't had an issues.

It's pretty damn fun too. Thanks for the beta code, Mykee :)

Couple of questions after seeing the first page of this thread...

1. Will I be able to buy the game WITHOUT the headset...? I have one already.
2. Is there anyway to get a beta code still?

Thanks

[quote name='aznguyen316']I sent an application to cag once again but this time looking through your profile smiggity. not sure what else I have to do or if you need to do whatever for me to get into the clan lol[/quote]

Couldnt find it when you applied through Starkkat, Im booting up right now to get a couple rounds in before class.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Couple of questions after seeing the first page of this thread...

1. Will I be able to buy the game WITHOUT the headset...? I have one already.
2. Is there anyway to get a beta code still?

Thanks[/quote]

1. Yes. $39.99 standalone disk or PSN download.
2. If your Gamestop/EB has codes left, you can get one by reserving. Sites like Eurogamer and the Playstation Underground are done giving away keys for now, but check again. There might be another round of codes given.

[quote name='seanr1221']Besides it taking a long time to get in a game, I haven't had an issues.

It's pretty damn fun too. Thanks for the beta code, Mykee :)[/quote]

I played on english speaking - 16v16 medley ranked last night. was alot of fun but man i suck.

[quote name='typeRJ']1. Yes. $39.99 standalone disk or PSN download.
2. If your Gamestop/EB has codes left, you can get one by reserving. Sites like Eurogamer and the Playstation Underground are done giving away keys for now, but check again. There might be another round of codes given.[/quote]

Sweet thanks!

I find the no respawn games are very intense and fun, but for beta purposes and the horrible loading I am playing mostly respawn games just so I can get more playtime over waiting on loading and rounds to end. Especially good since I suck.

[quote name='aznguyen316']Yes you can as long as there are vouchers available. Call your local gamestop if they have it, then yeah. I submitted a voucher code at publicbeta.socom.com today and got the e-mail only a minute later so you're still good to go. According to the voucher you must redeem by 9/23/08[/quote]

No gamestop. Oh well, I can wait a month to play it.

I can't wait for the full game to some out since these load times will likely be resolved and I just feel as thought they didn't pick that great of a map for the beta.

Anyone know if the Qore thing will let people give invites to friends? Then I might be able to hook up 2 more CAGs.

I also hear there is a way to put your SOCOM beta on 5 more consoles...

I have not really been able to get into a game at all and when I finally did it froze after 10 mins...

bread's done
Back