SOCOM: Confrontation *General Discussion Thread*

Cool, that's nice.

But there's other stuff. I put an ACOG attachment on my gun. I figured that would allow me to scope but can't seem to be able to.

Spent 30 minutes trying to get into a game, had trouble finding one and when I did I would get kicked while trying to join, finally just gave up. Any one know why I was being kicked?

There's a lot of networking issues with SOCOM right now, it was likely that it was just a network error that caused you to automatically get kicked by the server.

One thing I noticed with SOCOM is that the dpad controls are a lot tighter. I was playing Resistance 1, Insomniac's first foray into big FPS games and the way stick moved the view just felt off. Fast forward now to CoD4 and now SOCOM and it looks like first party developers have really figured out the proper sensitivity, deadzone, and other settings for the sticks. Oh and it's all configurable too.

Oh and the motion control options are very cool and handled pretty well. You can turn it off completely, use it for leaning, and even use it for changing over which shoulder the camera positions itself instead of using a button. Motion controls are also configurable as well.

Awesome fcuking news.

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/09/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-130-Patch-Incoming.aspx

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We are happy to announce that the eagerly anticipated SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Public Beta 1.30 Patch will be released on Thursday, September 18th, at 12:00 GMT/UTC (8am EDT, 5am PDT, 1pm BST, 9pm JST/KST).[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The SOCOM: Confrontation 1.30 patch addresses the following issues:
[/FONT]

• [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Abnormally long network synchronization issues when some users in a game have a poor network connection. This issue causes 4-7 minute (or longer) load times when late joining a game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where respawn game late joiners were sometimes stuck in spectator mode and could not respawn into the game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Removed the latency detection network test which was causing some users with poor network connections to receive the network latency icon (red X).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where clients with different client versions (patches) could play together in a default medley game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where if the session master leaves the game, late joiners could not "green up" and late join into the game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed corrupt characters in the European and Japanese EULAs and Server News.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed many join game issues and made joining a game quicker. We are still optimizing this.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where if you add and then remove someone from your block list they were still unable to send you a message.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Improved accuracy while moving (based on user feedback). Partial implementation. More improvements to come.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Reduced the encumbrance penalty (based on user feedback).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Changed the default round time for Medley games from 8 minutes to 6 minutes (based on user feedback).[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We are still looking into the following issues and they will be addressed in a future patch:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some late joiners have really bad framerate (5fps) and crash if they exit the game from the start menu. This happens at approximately 1/50 frequency.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some late joiners will get stuck on the round complete screen. This is timing dependent.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some users will crash in-game. This happens at approximately 1/100 frequency (games).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Some late joiners get stuck on the loading screen, loading into a game. This happens at approximately 1/100 frequency.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Green or corrupted particles appear for RPG, C4 and AT4 explosions. This happens at approximately 1/4 frequency (users).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Further tuning and tweaking based on user feedback.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Once the patch is released, we will continue to keep an eye out for any additional issues which may arise.

Regards,
SOCOM: Confrontation Online Team

I'm AMPED! Glad they're listening to feedback and implementing changes. Def keeping this on my pre-order list.
[/FONT]

[quote name='smiggity']Outstanding. What is "encumbrance penalty" by the way?[/quote]

when you customize your character, changing your body armor and gear
raises or lowers your mobility.

[quote name='aznguyen316']Awesome fcuking news.

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/09/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-130-Patch-Incoming.aspx

I'm AMPED! Glad they're listening to feedback and implementing changes. Def keeping this on my pre-order list.
[/size][/font][/quote]

I'm pumped for this too. Can't wait. I'm really glad to see them listening to the people.

As for what encumbrance is, it is how fast/slow you walk. The more armor you have on (ie. heavy/medium/light), what weapons you carry (ie. 50 cal sniper riffle, m14, etc) and what kind of extras you have (ie. AT4, Smoke, M67). The more stuff you carry, the slower you walk. Granted, with heavy armor, you are more likely to take a few shots more, but move slower.

[quote name='chex20']I'm pumped for this too. Can't wait. I'm really glad to see them listening to the people.

As for what encumbrance is, it is how fast/slow you walk. The more armor you have on (ie. heavy/medium/light), what weapons you carry (ie. 50 cal sniper riffle, m14, etc) and what kind of extras you have (ie. AT4, Smoke, M67). The more stuff you carry, the slower you walk. Granted, with heavy armor, you are more likely to take a few shots more, but move slower.[/quote]

Thats kind of bullshit that they lowered it. The campers with heavy armor and already in abundance. That blows.

No stat tracking, and I doubt it will be implemented into the beta.

Played a couple of matches today. Load times are a little bit more better with the new patch. Didn't experience much lag while I was in a match.

Lots of e-thugs on the US West Channel. So annoying when they keep abusing the word $$$$a, like a machinegun :roll:

Funny moment - (Mercenary spawn point) Beginning of the game; most of my teammates went to the left, while me and one other dude were heading for the Mercernary side bridge on the right. The guy decided to go ahead of me and camp under the bridge, while all of a sudden I hear *boom*, the bridge collapses on top of him. I'm thinking, this guy is dead. So, I left the collapsed bridge and then I saw his name pop up on the mic and he said, "what the hell, I can't get out of this bridge, I'm stuck". Some of my teammates and I went to his location, we tried everything from shooting our guns and throwing grenades at the debris to kill the guy, therefore he can spawn back at base. Nothing worked and he was stuck under the collapsed bridge throughout the entire match.

It seems they improved accuracy a bit too much. I was getting popped with SMG headshots from 100 yards away, and the other person was moving around

Waiting for over 3 mins to join a match right now, I think I'll try a different one.

Any CAG clans in the beta? If not, let's start one.

*edit* next one I tried to join was a bit better on load time, but then the game froze.

[quote name='smiggity']It seems they improved accuracy a bit too much. I was getting popped with SMG headshots from 100 yards away, and the other person was moving around[/quote]

Oh, glad it's not just me then... I had a tOOl spawn camping and I couldn't hit him with an M14 laying down, but he ran around and killed me with a sniper rifle...

Funny part was when I relocated in a different area and he thought he had the drop waiting for me and I continued to shoot him in the back. lol

[quote name='Methadon']Waiting for over 3 mins to join a match right now, I think I'll try a different one.

Any CAG clans in the beta? If not, let's start one.

*edit* next one I tried to join was a bit better on load time, but then the game froze.[/quote]

Message Smiggity aka Smog It up on PSN, he's beta CAG clan leader.

The beta now is nearly unplayable for me.. I'm freezing like crazy! Never had these issues before, it sucks. I've only gotten a bout 10 minutes of gameplay to 2 hours of either loading, freezing or bad framerate/no sound glitch. BLAH

Well 3 of us are online now, any interest in joining a room together? I will be playing either way so holla

English Speaking
Muts Nuts

Its been playing fine for me as long as I stick to 8v8 matches
for some reason any more than that results in a system freeze

Just to let everyone know, the community have been gimped in the latest patch. Only about 3/4 of my PSN friends show up in Socom, so I cant invite anyone to the clan. Supposedly they have something special planned for the community features of the Beta before it ends, but with all the other issues they may not do it.

The first game I played last night was very laggy and I got knocked out just before the last round so I never saw my final score. I played a second game and ended up quitting around 2 am. When I did quit, through SOCOM's menus, my PS3 reset to the start up screen (PUSH the PS button). Strange! I suspect the PSN version will be worked on right up to release, while the blu-ray version will require a massive update upon release.

[quote name='Zyzomys']The first game I played last night was very laggy and I got knocked out just before the last round so I never saw my final score. I played a second game and ended up quitting around 2 am. When I did quit, through SOCOM's menus, my PS3 reset to the start up screen (PUSH the PS button). Strange! I suspect the PSN version will be worked on right up to release, while the blu-ray version will require a massive update upon release.[/quote]
No doubt about that. I think they've already started burning the discs for the game or will in a week or two.

Tried again Saturday night and it went pretty well. No lag what so ever in 8x8 matches. Did not try and 16x16 tho. I suck at it tho, getting killed more than kills.

[quote name='osugsxr']heres a socom beta code if anyone wants to use it: w3p743d3[/quote]

Has anyone use this yet?

Since the new patch, I have not had one freeze yet. Where before I had numerous freezes and looonng load times.

Not only do I have a lot of lag / frame rate drops... now I don't have any sound. wonderful...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also had many more problems since the most recent patch. I am getting complete PS3 freezes requiring a hard reset (twice last night - finally turned if off and played some Halo 3), and/or game drop outs. It was weird. Everything would seem to be going well, except for the constant stuttering, and than either a complete freeze, or I would get a screen saying I have been disconnected from the game. I have quite mixed feelings about this game: if it worked it would be fun but right now it is exasperating experience. I cannot believe there are this many network problems this close to launch. :wall:

[quote name='VipFREAK']Not only do I have a lot of lag / frame rate drops... now I don't have any sound. wonderful...[/quote]

I had the same sound issue the other day, bugged the heck out of me because I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Everything had been going smooth up until sunday. Things would be fine until I tried to
check the in-game menu to see who was alive and check stats, then the game would freeze.
It would also do this whenever I tried to change my weapon set-up

New Patch Incoming!

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The SOCOM Confrontation 1.40 patch addresses the following issues:
[/FONT]

• [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue which was causing an abnormally large number of simultaneous kills.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Optimized the Armory so that selecting weapons, attachments and general menu navigation are much faster.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed another issue where you could get stuck in spectator cam when late joining a game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where occasionally late joiners would have very low framerate and crash when exiting a game.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed an issue where occasionally late joiners would have no audio.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Statistics improvements. Statistics are now being tracked at the team level and not the player level. This will ensure stats are tracked for dropped and late joining players.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Further improved load times for late joiners.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fixed several stability issues.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The following changes were made based on user feedback:
[/FONT]

• [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Added new burst firing accuracy tuning when moving. You are now more accurate for the initial burst while moving but accuracy deteriorates as you continue to fire more shots.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Scopes are now accurate.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The select screen scoreboard is now exited by pressing the select button.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Improved tiebreaker rules.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]New HUD animation to indicate when you are reloading.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Crosshairs now turn grey when your magazine is empty.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]We are actively looking into the following issues which are known to exist in the 1.40 patch. These issues will be fixed in a future update.
[/FONT]

• [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The select screen scoreboard, round complete and game complete screens appear blank.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Infrequently, some users loose controller functionality for a couple of seconds.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Please note, this patch also adds game logic to limit the number of people who can late join a game to 5 at a time. If more than 5 people attempt to late join the game you receive a "Game Full" error even though there are still slots in the game. This will be improved in a future update.
[/FONT]

Going to patch it now. These fixes seem to do away with all the glaring issues of the beta. People should (hopefully) be able to get in many more games.

I just checked, there is no update available right now. It is still v.1.30. I have had too many hard freezes to my PS3 - I am not playing this again until I can download the next patch.

Ah okay. Any word on whether it fixes the problems? I was always getting with with all the major bugs listed in the 1.3 and 1.4 fix list. So much so that I only got to play a single round that was problem free, and every other attempt was met with freezing, low framerate bugs, or just being unable to get out of spectator mode.

It is actually a good sign that despite the problems in the beta, people are still able to play, and that they're fixing the problems for those that have them. (assuming this patch works, that is) So with all that, I'm still interested in buying the game, especially so since it comes with the official headset.

edit: Impressions, and a sad day for me.

Alright, with the latest patch I was finally able to get a decent amount of play time, and things still aren't good.

Sad to say, but I think SOCOM Confrontation is a relic of the PS2 era. It really doesn't know what it wants to be. On one hand you have a realistic setting and all this emphasis on realism in the look. On the other hand the main tactic revolves around running full speed through levels with assault rifles and SMGs not unlike Counter-Strike. The control scheme is this clunky beast meant for 1990s era military FPS games like the original Ghost Recon or the original Rainbow Six. Meanwhile the gameplay is so fast paced that you really won't be using any of it.

At this point I'd have preferred Slant 6 had gone and made a version of SOCOM Tactical Assault (a very good PSP game similar to Full Spectrum Warrior) for the PS3.

With so many upcoming PS3 games that fulfill the fast action shooter niche (R2, CoD5, even CoD4) it doesn't look like there's much hope for SOCOM to gain a good sized audience unless they take it further in the tactical slower paced route, but then you get a lot of the fans complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1.4 Patch has fixed a few problems on my end. Lag is pretty much gone and joining a game in progress is pretty smooth now, but there are some new bugs.
The most odd one ive seen so far, during a round of demolition. My team was the mercenaries but 3 members of my team where Commandos :roll:

You know, I think I may have to try more objective based missions instead of just elimination. With an objective to focus around, it could change the game quite a bit.

At least I should do that before writing it off.

I'm currently playing through Slant 6's SOCOM Tactical Assault and I still have to say that they really should have made a version of that for the PS3 as a full fledged SOCOM game. It's just a really good game and Sony needs a real-time strategy/tactical game on their console.

Demolition is very fun, but since 1.3 I haven't played b/c of so many freezes and hard shutdowns.. sigh. Glad to hear a 1.4 came out, I'll try that soon.

I was doing Objective based gaming with no respawn last night but still had several issues: lag stuttering; no scoring after every round; missing weapons in game (people running around empty handed); Game MVP was always Player_Name; people not showing up properly (wrong team). I would still like the option for Team Balancing, and Team Randomizing like in WarHawk (in the lobby before the game starts - unless it is ranked who cares). Also showing the ping for each server/game really is not a luxury when servers are not being provided.

Well, looks like they will release another patch before the Beta ends.
I was playing this morning and there was a room on the server I was on that was shown as a 1.5 Test Room
When I tried to join the room it said I didnt have the correct version.

[quote name='Khondor']Well, looks like they will release another patch before the Beta ends.
I was playing this morning and there was a room on the server I was on that was shown as a 1.5 Test Room
When I tried to join the room it said I didnt have the correct version.[/quote]

Me too! Central 4 right? That means they will probably extend the beta as well

[quote name='smiggity']Me too! Central 4 right? That means they will probably extend the beta as well[/QUOTE]

I dont remember what server it was on as I kept hopping from one to the next trying to find
a decent game to join :roll:

I do hope they can get the bugs fixed before launch because i will not purchase this game "as is" and THEN wait for them to fix everything with more patches.

I've tried to update several times and it gets to about 20% and quits... I've pretty much given up on playing it til the release.

bread's done
Back