Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Announced

Golden Axe Warrior is a pretty good Zelda I clone for those who never played it. I'm psyched for the arcade version of Space Harrier - that was my favorite game on 32X back in the day. All in all, this is a very well thought out collection by Sega - a definite pick-up.

[quote name='PhrostByte']No S3&K? :lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

If it turns out to not include the locked-on versions of Sonic and Knuckles, I'll be pretty disappointed. Maybe they're not counting them as separate games.

I'll still get this for other stuff, I already have versions of the Sonic games on other collections. I wonder if I've ever gotten to play the arcade version of Alien Syndrome. I know my friend had the SMS version back in the day.

I like it! Thank God for Phantasy Star I!!!!

I would wish for Knuckles Chaotix, but in truth, it is nothing to write home about (those damn special stages were so cheap)

Picked one up at Best Buy this afternoon.
So far the emulation or whatever runs the thing is nothing short of disappointing.
Within the 1st 10 minutes of play I've experienced massive interlacing issues with
Gain Ground and a pretty bad control issue with Phantasy Star II (after returning
to the game from options menu, the characters/game would only advance/walk
in super slow motion and only if I held down the circle button). Entering and exiting
a building a few times remedied the latter. Haven't tried much else.

Played a bit of Alex Kidd, Shinobi III, Shinobi Arcade, Altered Beast (Genesis and Arcade,) SWAT, PS II, III, and IV and have had no problems. Unlocked some stuff already, good times.

[quote name='Borei no Shi']Picked one up at Best Buy this afternoon.
So far the emulation or whatever runs the thing is nothing short of disappointing.
Within the 1st 10 minutes of play I've experienced massive interlacing issues with
Gain Ground and a pretty bad control issue with Phantasy Star II (after returning
to the game from options menu, the characters/game would only advance/walk
in super slow motion and only if I held down the circle button). Entering and exiting
a building a few times remedied the latter. Haven't tried much else.[/quote]

I feel like such a jerk, but that slow walking in Phantasy Star 2 is not a glitch. They really do walk slow as hell. Though what makes me feel even stupider is that I went through the entire game three times, yet never finished it. All at that maddeningly slow pace where the guy in the hot dog cart looks like a tuned up bentley.

[quote name='Paco']I feel like such a jerk, but that slow walking in Phantasy Star 2 is not a glitch. They really do walk slow as hell. [/QUOTE]

Though they may walk slow normally, what I described was a glitch. The game froze unless I held
circle, and then with circle held it would move pretty much 1 frame of movement every 5 or 6 seconds.
This was definately not the regular speed of the game and did not encompass only the movement of
the characters (text boxes opening in stages, npcs, images coming up...).

[quote name='Nohbdy']There's no lock-on games for any of the Sonic games and NO GODDAMN SONIC CD.

Pathetic.[/QUOTE]There's no Sonic CD because it's a Sega CD game, NOT a Genesis game.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's no Sonic CD because it's a Sega CD game, NOT a Genesis game.[/quote]

Yea? Well there are SMS and arcade games so you just failed slightly hard. There's no Sonic CD because the developers are lazy fucks who don't give a fuck about the fans.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Yea? Well there are SMS and arcade games so you just failed slightly hard. There's no Sonic CD because the developers are lazy fucks who don't give a fuck about the fans.[/QUOTE]Sonic CD will probably be saved and used elsewhere, that's usually the situation.

I was just referring to the main games included in this collection, which are technically Genesis games. Just chill out.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Sonic CD will probably be saved and used elsewhere, that's usually the situation.

I was just referring to the main games included in this collection, which are technically Genesis games. Just chill out.[/quote]

Main games? Who cares if it's a main game or not? They could have easily included Sonic CD and S3&K. They don't care.

just cause 1 game you wanted wasn't included doesn't mean the developers are lazy. jeez. I played some gain ground last night and had no issues. Its great being able to play so many old games so easily, with wireless controllers, all in one spot and for so cheap.

There was an interview with the producer on retronauts who hinted that he'd like to do a sega cd collection including the shining force game, sonic, etc. Not sure how many other gems are really on that system though.

[quote name='Rooster752']just cause 1 game you wanted wasn't included doesn't mean the developers are lazy. jeez. I played some gain ground last night and had no issues. Its great being able to play so many old games so easily, with wireless controllers, all in one spot and for so cheap.

There was an interview with the producer on retronauts who hinted that he'd like to do a sega cd collection including the shining force game, sonic, etc. Not sure how many other gems are really on that system though.[/quote]

It's not just 1 game I wanted. Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are two halves of one game. They're lonely without one another.

S3&K were meant to be a single game. Either the devs should have included it as another game or just plainly ignore the individual Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles games and just include the single Sonic 3 & Knuckles game.

For those who've bought the game, how do the games look in HD, is there an improvement, or is it the same as alwyas.

[quote name='Thomas96']For those who've bought the game, how do the games look in HD, is there an improvement, or is it the same as alwyas.[/quote]

Well, I'm quite surprised to see how good most of the games looked on my HDTV. I expected major pixelation, and even without the pixelation filter they look pretty good. The Arcade titles especially look really good as well.

Anyone play streets of rage games? If its any good, I will probably pick it up.

Off topic but.
Freakyzeeky's Trophy lvl... - ITS REALLY LEVEL 11!!!!

[quote name='MiniB0ssBattle']Anyone play streets of rage games? If its any good, I will probably pick it up.

Off topic but.
Freakyzeeky's Trophy lvl... - ITS REALLY LEVEL 11!!!![/quote]

It's Level 12 as of this morning... ;)

I never played Streets of Rage prior to this collection, but for me it ran pretty good. I didn't really notice anything wrong with it when I was playing it.

The BGM for the first level of Streets Of Rage 2 sounds a bit different after the intro part. Some of the sounds have definitely changed in this collection, and it's bugging me just a little. The rest of the song sounds the same though.

I've played SOR2 forever so I can tell the difference :mad:

[quote name='Thomas96']For those who've bought the game, how do the games look in HD, is there an improvement, or is it the same as alwyas.[/quote]

It looks a little sharper, IMO, but I haven't played any of these games in a really long time. There's a "smoothing" option, which looks the same as it does on an emulator. Regardless, it's freakin' sweet to be playing old school games with a wireless controller. I'm surprised how improved it feels with the mere lack of those short, stubby wires the controllers had.

On another note: is it just me, or does Sonic the Hedgehog feel a little loose using the digital pad? I swear it does, but I might be imagining things.

Can you use the joysticks on ps3? Also does streets of rage still have the bone thugs n harmony beats? Also do people prefer the "smoothing" option?

Sure, you CAN if you want to. Don't know why you would, though.

I'm never going to be able to beat Mean Bean Machine, though. Even with the Cheat. Good lord is it fast. I'd hate to see what it is like on Hard.

BTW, this game put me up to a Level 8 on Trophies.

Oh yea, if you guys didn't already know, this game supports custom soundtracks, BUT it also removes ALL sound from any game, so no sound effects are present either.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Oh yea, if you guys didn't already know, this game supports custom soundtracks, BUT it also removes ALL sound from any game, so no sound effects are present either.[/QUOTE]

So what's the point?

One point I'd like to make that I find VERY ANNOYING is that if you remember old school games on XBLA, you know how you could stretch the little box on the screen. Well, you can do that here, for each game individually. Why couldn't this have been at the main menu? It's so annoying. Also, each save state for each game is saved separately under your Save Data Utility in the XMB. I don't get that one, either.

Also, find the mistake on the back of the box. And yes, this game supports 1080p. And yes, all but 1 Trophy (excluding the Platinum) seems to be easy to get.

I think I am going to have to rent this first for two reasons -

1) The tropys are easy and quick, I could 100% it fast and if it is not great I would never go back to it.

2) See if the kids like it and would play it.

ya - def a rent first thing for me.

I got the game yesterday. I'm really happy with it, the games are presented well here and look really good on my 42 inch TV.

I understand people are angry over no Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it doesn't matter to me either way but here's the thing. Just look at the collection in full. If I were to try to get several of the games on this disc in their original cartridge form on Ebay or somewhere like that, namely the Shining Force games and a couple of others, it would cost WAY more for them all together than the 30 bucks they are charging for this. For the sake of the angry people I hope they either patch it or include it next time. But at this point they need to look toward a Sega CD and Dreamcast compilation. I would love to see Saturn but that damn thing is near impossible to emulate so I doubt we'll ever see it :(

[quote name='Thomas96']if this collection is missing something, they go out and get the game elsewhere, shouldn't cost much.[/quote]

I think we all know what its' missing. :roll:

[quote name='KingBroly']I think we all know what its' missing. :roll:[/QUOTE]

yeah, my other genesis collection has every genesis game, from the us, japan, and europe. Hopefully, Tails, Axel, and Dr. Robotnik will come out with their own genesis collection(s).

[quote name='KingBroly']I think we all know what its' missing. :roll:[/quote]

Yeah, there's no 'Eternal Champions'... :cry:
A fighting game would have really made this collection more appealing.

fucking MEAN BEAN MACHINE!

WHY THE fuck WON'T YOU LET ME WIN!?

damnit, damnit, damnit, DAMNIT!

On a lighter note, I only need 2 Trophies more for the Platinum.

bread's done
Back