SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

I'm unfamiliar with warranty and PSR warranties, What is the best store to purchase the slim from when talking of getting a warranty on it? I'd want a PSR warranty but will settle for a regular old warranty. Best buy, target, walmart (preferably not but will do if best), etc?

What about bonuses? Any stores offering incentives for buying the slim? Gamestop exclusives? Nothing?

$299 for the slim is actually a pretty decent deal. If sony did this say a year ago it might be in better shape.
smile.gif
Oh well...

[quote name='Master Ninja']Yeah Woot Miami love major cities.

- Port of Miami very busy port ships coming in
- Miami International Airport 3rd busiest in world

Best Buy manager said the shipments will be in by Wed. WOOT!! that they will hit the warehouse then come in maybe by tomorrow.

FYI, here in MIA alot of forgein tourist are and the British Pound GBP and the Euro are worth more than the U.S. dollar so a PS3 Slim is like half price here, than buying it in London, or Berlin.

anyways, some guy bought 140 PS2's the other day, I was shocked the store even had 140 PS2's on hand.

And that our local store will get 43 PS3's Slims.

Note: ALL of the FAT PS3's $299 sold in 2 days all 40 of them. And the 25 160 GB $399 Models 2 are left.

Thats how fast product is moving.

The PS3 Slim EASILY will get you $400 on Craigslist or ebay on DAY 1, 100% Sell out Nationwide.

So when Gamestop, SEARS, or Walmart or, Best Buy opens. DAY 1 it WILL Sell out with in hours.

Don't expect any on Day 2.

Update: I called 2 Gamestops around Miami. 100% they are getting the SLIM PS3 tomorrow around 12PM[/QUOTE]

How much are you willing to bet? :)

As much as I want one I don't see them selling out where I live. If you're just talking MIA then you might have a point, but definitely not a nationwide sell-out.

For everyone who gets upset by IAmTheCheapestGamer: Here's a friendly suggestion to save everyone a lot of aggravation and keep this tread "cleaner." Add him to your ignore list and never read his posts again! Then maybe after all this discussion regarding firmware updates, PSN, BC, and a whole slew of topics is resolve, you'll feel like un-ignoring him.

I'm suggesting this for the sake of both IAmTheCheapestGamer and everyone else who gets incensed by his comments (wacky though they may be).

[quote name='bsmack']How much are you willing to bet? :)

As much as I want one I don't see them selling out where I live. If you're just talking MIA then you might have a point, but definitely not a nationwide sell-out.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes Sony looks like is pulling a page out of Nintendo's play book.

limited supply create a huge buzz

[quote name='Ecofreak']For everyone who gets upset by IAmTheCheapestGamer: Here's a friendly suggestion to save everyone a lot of aggravation and keep this tread "cleaner." Add him to your ignore list and never read his posts again! Then maybe after all this discussion regarding firmware updates, PSN, BC, and a whole slew of topics is resolve, you'll feel like un-ignoring him.

I'm suggesting this for the sake of both IAmTheCheapestGamer and everyone else who gets incensed by his comments (wacky though they may be).[/QUOTE]

I was just replying to someone else's post(Thomas96) with my own experiences and feelings about the firmware thing and I wasn't trying to 'incense' anyone with them. But if people get so riled up over someone not wanting to add things they find to be useless and wishing the updates were optional, then they'll get incensed over even more meaningless shit.

You can't please everybody and I'm not about to sit here and be told to 'shut up' just because my opinion differs from someone else's.

As for me, I refuse to ignore anyone and have only ever added ONE person to that list on CAG, who I believe I removed from that list after a week or two.

I'm open to listening to other people's views and discussing on a civil level, but when I'm told to 'shut up' or as some put it 'shut the fuck up', then I will respond in kind in a not-so-nice manner as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was just replying to someone else's post(Thomas96) with my own experiences and feelings about the firmware thing and I wasn't trying to 'incense' anyone with them. But if people get so riled up over someone not wanting to add things they find to be useless and wishing the updates were optional, then they'll get incensed over even more meaningless shit.

You can't please everybody and I'm not about to sit here and be told to 'shut up' just because my opinion differs from someone else's.

As for me, I refuse to ignore anyone and have only ever added ONE person to that list on CAG, who I believe I removed from that list after a week or two.

I'm open to listening to other people's views and discussing on a civil level, but when I'm told to 'shut up' or as some put it 'shut the fuck up', then I will respond in kind in a not-so-nice manner as well.[/QUOTE]

I know you're not trying to pick a fight and your points are absolutely valid from your frame of reference.

And you said it yourself, "You can't please everyone." Well the same thing goes for Sony. Even though they're primary concern is the bottom line, they're likely just as concerned about delivering a compelling gaming experience for those who own a PS3. Why? Because it builds brand loyalty, which = more games purchased, which = more money for Sony. And we understand that you don't like how Sony handles a great many aspects of their system.

Everyone clearly understands your confusion and frustration with Sony, but I think many are boggled that you so very clearly and forcefully decry many parts of the PS3 and yet still support it. The cognitive dissidence is so severe that it's like raking finger nails across a chalk board for many CAGers.

I just suggested the option of ignoring in the hopes that passions cool down after a few days or weeks and we can all go back to being a happy CAG family.

I've suggested it multiple times as well, but it seems like it falls on deaf ears(or eyes in this case), since it seems the same folks write back with an inflamed post as soon as I reply to someone else's post and say anything negative about anything with the PS3.

I still don't get why the hell people take this shit so personally. It's just stupid to get so worked up over someone having a different opinion.

Hi, yeah, uh, I'd like to buy a new car, but could you take out the heating and A/C. And while you're at it, take out the spare tire, I don't need it. Don't forget the two back seats, I'm makin' this a coupe bitch! Hell, take out the stereo, I've got me an iPod so no need for that either.

Now, I'm assuming you'll throw in free gas for 10 years, shave $5,000 off the tag of $4,999, and you'll give me free blow jobs for life...deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again with the insane and over the top response? I mean, I understand the example there and while it's overblown(like every response of yours to my posts), you have every right to make it.

How about we just agree to disagree and you put me on ignore? Or do you like the attention? You must, since you KEEP responding like I slapped your mother or something when I talk bad about Sony and their practices.

My BestBuy.com order was showing a release/ship/whatever date of the 25th, and now it says the 26th. Hopefully they won't keep bumping it back.

[quote name='Pyramid Head']My BestBuy.com order was showing a release/ship/whatever date of the 25th, and now it says the 26th. Hopefully they won't keep bumping it back.[/QUOTE]

Lame. I tried pre-ordering from Kmart.com but they don't accept gift cards on pre-orders ("at this time")...my Sears doesn't carry gaming anything and I'd prefer to avoid GameStop for now. Oh, and my local Walmart has no idea when they'll be getting it.

Still no systems in my area. I talked to a handfull of GS and FYE's. Nothing. Though not official, most people took pre sales saying it would be available 8/25. Hopefully it's a late day shipping.

Edit: Im in Washington DC. So I called the NOVA area and most of the DC/Maryland stores.

Must use $150 Gift card from best buy they took back as a return my 120GB 360 Hard drive. That I got from Amazon for 50% off using the $50 Trade in Deal.

Remember trade in $50 worth of junk games and get a $50 Gift card the value you traded in plus 50% a game accessory.

Best Buy took my 120GB Hard drive and gave me a full price gift card. Yes BB accepts returns with out a receipt. It was unopened of course.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Must use $150 Gift card from best buy they took back as a return my 120GB 360 Hard drive. That I got from Amazon for 50% off using the $50 Trade in Deal.

Remember trade in $50 worth of junk games and get a $50 Gift card the value you traded in plus 50% a game accessory.

Best Buy took my 120GB Hard drive and gave me a full price gift card. Yes BB accepts returns with out a receipt. It was unopened of course.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on committing return fraud. Now at least people will be bitching at you instead of me for a bit. Returning stuff without a receipt to a store you didn't get it from is FRAUD and people on CAG tend to rip those who perpetrate it a new one.

He's talked about doing it before, but with Walmart and $20 Street Fighter IV's from GS in his thread about worshiping him for selling his Wii.

It wasn't on our "in-transit" today, so I'm not expecting a shipment in tomorrow. Maybe Wednesday? Who knows anymore. It's possible Sony is overnighting them. It'll definitely be this week though because a friend that works at the Hollywood DC told me they have them in the warehouse.

[quote name='Ecofreak']For everyone who gets upset by IAmTheCheapestGamer: Here's a friendly suggestion to save everyone a lot of aggravation and keep this tread "cleaner." Add him to your ignore list and never read his posts again! Then maybe after all this discussion regarding firmware updates, PSN, BC, and a whole slew of topics is resolve, you'll feel like un-ignoring him.

I'm suggesting this for the sake of both IAmTheCheapestGamer and everyone else who gets incensed by his comments (wacky though they may be).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='SynGamer']Hi, yeah, uh, I'd like to buy a new car, but could you take out the heating and A/C. And while you're at it, take out the spare tire, I don't need it. Don't forget the two back seats, I'm makin' this is coupe bitch! Hell, take out the stereo, I've got me an iPod so no need for that either.

Now, I'm assuming you'll throw in free gas for 10 years, shave $5,000 off the tag of $4,999, and you'll give me free blow jobs for life...deal?[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!!!

Why? He's right you know. These updates need to stop and soon. I really would like to get some files from PSN and sent numerous notes to tech support but so far they were no help and I always choose no when it asks me to update. They don't give us anything worthwhile and waste time and drive space. Not to mention every time you do this you risk your console. Since I own a 60 model I refuse to let Sony break it and charge me $150.

[quote name='DPsx7'] They don't give us anything worthwhile and waste time and drive space. [/QUOTE]

A portion of the drive is set aside for firmware updates. You never actually can use that portion. How is that wasting drive space?

[quote name='DPsx7']Why? He's right you know. These updates need to stop and soon. I really would like to get some files from PSN and sent numerous notes to tech support but so far they were no help and I always choose no when it asks me to update. They don't give us anything worthwhile and waste time and drive space. Not to mention every time you do this you risk your console. Since I own a 60 model I refuse to let Sony break it and charge me $150.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I wasn't saying they should COMPLETELY stop, but we should be allowed to pick and choose what we want and what we don't want. Why should I have to download crap like the photo album icon(which didn't even DL the actual program)when there's a rare chance I'll EVER use it?

As for the wasting drive space, I never had the full 40 gb's to begin with on my console, so I didn't really miss the 3gb or whatever it was that I was missing as soon as I got my PS3 out of the box(and had to download innumerable FW updates before I could even play it).

I can understand you being leery about downloading updates because of prior FW that crashed people's BC models, but Sony DID cover those ones that did crash because of the bad FW I believe.

There's been a lot of FW updates because Sony had to bring the system out of the stoneage (when compared to the xbox 360 features). They've been playing catchup on every feature that the FW updates brought to the system. Sony needs updates ASAP because their consumers were missing features that should have been on the system since day ONE! PS3 still needs cross game chat, and a music player that works while you're playing ANY game, and doing ANYTHING.. when I go to the PSN store, I'd like to listen to some music while I shop. Also, PS3 needs to incorporate the External HDD better, so that you can access it and listen to music from there at anytime. THe FW are absolutely necessary on PS3, but at least Sony made so that you don't have to DL them, and you can still play games on line and access PSN without the newest FW. They can still make the process better if they could improve the speed of the download from their servers.. the download speed for FW, Movies, Games, Demos... is also stuck in the stoneage... sometimes I wonder if Sony is still using dial up.

If they can make it so the updates ALL become optional(except for ones that fix bugs or glitches in the system), that'd be just fine by me.

I don't need to waste 20 minutes to an hour waiting for some crummy update that's going to add XYZ thing that I'll never use to my PS3. Just give me the bare essentials to keep my PS3 running and that's it.

All these updates are the thing I'm looking forward to least about getting my Slim next week. Sounds like I'm going to be downloading for half a day before I can even begin to use my PS3.

Actually, I believe they said it will come with FW 3.0 installed on it, which is the newest FW that's supposed to be released on Sept. 1st. So, you may be lucky and get a system that's fully up-to-date upon buying it.

Best Buy local Miami location in stock now, they are holding one for me.

I will be rocking my MotorStorm 2 Pacific Rift $4.99 Copy from HWV and MGS4 later on.

[quote name='orntar']i cant find where i read it, but it was stated that 3.0 will be a day one download for slim users, it wont ship on the hardware.

found it: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/firmware-3-00-features-in-development-pre-nxe/[/QUOTE]

Jeff @ the psblog just mentioned in reply to a post about fw 3 available soon because of maintenance today that fw 3 would not be available until September.

Can't write for shit on ma phone.

Basically according to http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/24/playstation-network-regular-scheduled-maintenance-2/ FW 3 will not be out until september.

So no fw on launch.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Jeff @ the psblog just mentioned in reply to apost about fw 3 available soon because of maintenance today that fw 3 would not be available until September.

So no fw on launch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the press really messed up during Gamescon or Sony mis informed as usual.

#1. Kaz said the slim had all the functionality of the current PS3's during his speach, it does not.

#2. I know i read and saw that the PS3, will have Firmware 3.0 but it does not

[quote name='Master Ninja']Yeah the press really messed up during Gamescon or Sony mis informed as usual.

#1. Kaz said the slim had all the functionality of the current PS3's during his speach, it does not.[/QUOTE]

? What features are missing?

[quote name='SynGamer']? What features are missing?[/QUOTE]

Linux is missing for one. Also I don't think the Slim PS3 After firmware 3.0 can do Folding@Home, Sony has not confirmed if the Slim can still upscale standard DVD's to 1080p. The Slim can no longer Play Super Audio CD's

Some of these are up in the air, but the Linux and Super Audio CD I know for sure.

Also Note: This is a Community wide Red Alert......PS3 Slim 100% on Sale confirmed at Best Buy in Miami, currently sitting on store shelf.

Hialeah location...(305) 819-0722. This is pretty much State wide, YMMV at your local BB.

SA-CD was removed long before the slim. 80GB and 40GB versions don't have support for it.

I have no idea where you are basing your folding @ home and no dvd upscaling speculation from... that's all stuff that was included in FW updates.

Also, no one gives a fuck about Linux on their PS3.

Called my local GS in Mesquite, TX and they said they have them. Sent my g/f to pick one up for me, since I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours.

Where do you get your fake information from master ninja?

You're the only person on the internet to mention the folding at home and dvd upscaling crap.
And as pointed out before, SACD support was gone a long time ago.

Just picked up a PS3 slim at the Gaithersburg, MD Best Buy. They had at least 9 more.

No joke the label below them said "PS3 Mis Ship" :lol:

Didn't go with the $40 extended warranty - wonder if that was wise but oh well. Happy to be a PS3 owner, the best console this gen hands down - now on to the games!

[quote name='Thomas96']There's been a lot of FW updates because Sony had to bring the system out of the stoneage (when compared to the xbox 360 features). They've been playing catchup on every feature that the FW updates brought to the system. Sony needs updates ASAP because their consumers were missing features that should have been on the system since day ONE! PS3 still needs cross game chat, and a music player that works while you're playing ANY game, and doing ANYTHING.. when I go to the PSN store, I'd like to listen to some music while I shop. Also, PS3 needs to incorporate the External HDD better, so that you can access it and listen to music from there at anytime. THe FW are absolutely necessary on PS3, but at least Sony made so that you don't have to DL them, and you can still play games on line and access PSN without the newest FW. They can still make the process better if they could improve the speed of the download from their servers.. the download speed for FW, Movies, Games, Demos... is also stuck in the stoneage... sometimes I wonder if Sony is still using dial up.[/QUOTE]

Look, the 360 is an awful system in every regard so I wouldn't use that for comparisons. And I'm a game collector so that says something.

If it wasn't there on day one did we really need it? Cross game chat isn't useful. I mean if you're not playing the same game than who cares? In game music is also pointless for most games because the music is designed to go with the game. Nobody spends that long in the store to need music there too.

Making these required is a foolish decision. They've lost a lot of business from me since there are a couple games I'd like from the PSN store. The only thing I use the console for is gaming. We all have PC's to do the rest, so pictures, music, movie playback, web browsing - are all redundant and uselsss. Even if it's on a dedicated part of the drive how long until they fill it and need more?

[quote name='DPsx7']Look, the 360 is an awful system in every regard so I wouldn't use that for comparisons. And I'm a game collector so that says something.

If it wasn't there on day one did we really need it? Cross game chat isn't useful. I mean if you're not playing the same game than who cares? In game music is also pointless for most games because the music is designed to go with the game. Nobody spends that long in the store to need music there too.

Making these required is a foolish decision. They've lost a lot of business from me since there are a couple games I'd like from the PSN store. The only thing I use the console for is gaming. We all have PC's to do the rest, so pictures, music, movie playback, web browsing - are all redundant and uselsss. Even if it's on a dedicated part of the drive how long until they fill it and need more?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is a multimedia system, maybe you should have brought a wii. Or stayed last gen.

Why would I want to play movies and music on my pc?

[quote name='DPsx7']Look, the 360 is an awful system in every regard so I wouldn't use that for comparisons. And I'm a game collector so that says something.

Making these required is a foolish decision. They've lost a lot of business from me since there are a couple games I'd like from the PSN store. The only thing I use the console for is gaming. We all have PC's to do the rest, so pictures, music, movie playback, web browsing - are all redundant and uselsss. Even if it's on a dedicated part of the drive how long until they fill it and need more?[/QUOTE]
Holy crap! :rofl: HOLY CRAP!

I mean seriously! :rofl:

YES!!! The PS3 was behind.. and honestly, if it wasn't for the RROD the 360 would be a great system. There was a lot of things that the 360 did right (cheap price, great library, unified online system, achievements, HD) and I think we need to give it credit for things that it did well.

In game music isn't pointless.... if you're listening to music and relaxing.. why should you have to stop listening to music just to go into the PSN store, of if you're playing a game... sometimes if you're playing a RPG and you're leveling up... sometimes you want to just listen to music and relax. Its up to the users to determine what features go in and out of the system... It doesn't hurt YOU for these features (cross game chat, continuous music playback) to be added to PS3 menu.. so I don't understand why you'd be against it. Sony lost your business of some games that weren't on the PSN.... that doesn't have anything to do with Sony adding XMB features... its up to the devs to get the games on the console. What game is it that you felt the PSN was missng (for me it was castle crashers). Bottom line if customers want the feature then I think that Sony should give them what they want.

Are people seriously picking up the Slim in stores ALREADY? If so, I SO need to give my Gamestop a call or at least go to my local Best Buy =O!

[quote name='Darknyss']SA-CD was removed long before the slim. 80GB and 40GB versions don't have support for it.

I have no idea where you are basing your folding @ home and no dvd upscaling speculation from... that's all stuff that was included in FW updates.

Also, no one gives a fuck about Linux on their PS3.[/QUOTE]

the bc 80gbs have super audio cd support someone posted a link about that somewhere here i think all bc systems have sacd. as far as linux goes i was under the impression that only the new ps3 couldnt use it but you could still use it with older consoles does anyone know for sure about this or when the new fw update comes will everyone be unable to use linux?

best buy got them today, my fed ex guy told me he delivered 8 boxes of them to bb. gamecrazy stores will get them tomorrow.

bread's done
Back