SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

[quote name='lokizz']the bc 80gbs have super audio cd support someone posted a link about that somewhere here i think all bc systems have sacd. as far as linux goes i was under the impression that only the new ps3 couldnt use it but you could still use it with older consoles does anyone know for sure about this or when the new fw update comes will everyone be unable to use linux?[/QUOTE]

Linux will still work with the old one even after the FW update.

Theres a rumor going around from some German gaming magazine that Sony is going to introduce BC (software, like 360) to ALL PS3s with FW 3.0 when it drops on 9/1.

The slim is everywhere here. I went on a run this morning and saw them at Target, Gamestop, TRU, and Walmart.

[quote name='mwynn']The PS3 is a multimedia system, maybe you should have brought a wii. Or stayed last gen.

Why would I want to play movies and music on my pc?[/QUOTE]

We don't want a multimedia system. If you do, go buy an entertainment center and leave console gaming alone. There's no need to shove all that crap into a gaming system because it's just more to break down or places to go wrong.

I do have a Wii, 2 weeks after launch. I also have all my old consoles. Their success is proof that we just want to play games.

Why not? Movies are terrible and I play music all the time on my PC. You already paid for the features once so why would you want to pay again?

[quote name='Thomas96']YES!!! The PS3 was behind.. and honestly, if it wasn't for the RROD the 360 would be a great system. There was a lot of things that the 360 did right (cheap price, great library, unified online system, achievements, HD) and I think we need to give it credit for things that it did well.

In game music isn't pointless.... if you're listening to music and relaxing.. why should you have to stop listening to music just to go into the PSN store, of if you're playing a game... sometimes if you're playing a RPG and you're leveling up... sometimes you want to just listen to music and relax. Its up to the users to determine what features go in and out of the system... It doesn't hurt YOU for these features (cross game chat, continuous music playback) to be added to PS3 menu.. so I don't understand why you'd be against it. Sony lost your business of some games that weren't on the PSN.... that doesn't have anything to do with Sony adding XMB features... its up to the devs to get the games on the console. What game is it that you felt the PSN was missng (for me it was castle crashers). Bottom line if customers want the feature then I think that Sony should give them what they want.[/QUOTE]

It was never behind. The PS3 was just fine from the start save for maybe having a few extra launch titles. The main reason I waited until the following year to get one is because I was still trying to finish all my PS2 games and when I heard they were cutting BC I had to grab a 60 at that time.

Nah, there's nothing it did right. All the best games are multiplatform. The cheap price should have been a warning if anything. Achievements and trophies are just a gimmick, you don't really get anything from them. HD is overrated too.

My point there was you can't spend that much time in the shop to need music. A few minutes to get the games and DL them. It's like needing a CD to go to the bathroom. My biggest gripe of it all is Sony is wasting time doing pointless things when they could find ways to help games reach the shelves or become authorized for PSN. The fact these gimmicks are forced and keep me from PSN isn't helping either.

Ok, well I don't want it so we shouldn't have it. Good enough?

I just called my Best Buy and they have 50 of them in stock!!!!!!!11!!iii!!!!111

...and then I checked my Best Buy.com order and it was too late to cancel it. :cry:

Oh well, I'll just have to tough it out.

[quote name='DPsx7']HD is overrated too.[/QUOTE]

52813030.png

Be sure to check out the following comparison if you need more proof; http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/writings/dvdimage-unleashedsdhd.html

[quote name='Master Ninja']So far I have called 5 South Florida Best Buys, and all have TONS of PS3 Slims. So if you are in Florida go to Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

WHAT? You mean to tell me that your prediction of a nationwide sellout on day one is not happening? I have been deceived by you saying 100%, which means something would actually happen. :roll:

Well without going into the whole HD thing, it's not worth the price. Minor differences and some widescreen aren't worth $2000+ and the PS3 doesn't even require it. Nothing else I own is compatible anyhow so why pay to make everything look worse, ya know? I don't watch movies or sports, those are like the only 2 reasons to bother.

But back to the updates, they aren't wanted and we need a workaround soon.

[quote name='DPsx7']I don't want a multimedia system. If you do, go buy an entertainment center and leave console gaming alone. There's no need to shove all that crap into a gaming system because it's just more to break down or places to go wrong.

I do have a Wii, 2 weeks after launch. I also have all my old consoles. Their success is proof that we just want to play games.

Why not? Movies are terrible and I play music all the time on my PC. You already paid for the features once so why would you want to pay again?[/QUOTE]

Fixed that first sentence. You brought a multimedia system. I don't watch movies or play music on my computer. It has a keyboard, so I just use it for typing. Why does it even have speakers? I don't need those for anything. In fact I really don't need this computer, a typewriter will be just fine. Oh wait that is way to high tech, pencil and paper for me.

Picked up a slim today. Gamestop said I had the only preorder at their store. I'm very satisfied with the console. It looks great, and the price point is perfect. The one gripe I have is that is does not come with a dual component/composite cable, but only the composite cable. Is this standard with Playstation 3 consoles? You would think they would include some high def inputs for a machine that doubles as a Blu-Ray player.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']Picked up a slim today. Gamestop said I had the only preorder at their store. I'm very satisfied with the console. It looks great, and the price point is perfect. The one gripe I have is that is does not come with a dual component/composite cable, but only the composite cable. Is this standard with Playstation 3 consoles? You would think they would include some high def inputs for a machine that doubles as a Blu-Ray player.[/QUOTE]

Yep -- Sony only includes composite cables.

Monoprice.com is a fan-favorite for getting HD cables for cheap that work well.

BTW, I'm surprised there are no videos showing the insides of the PS3 slim yet. I'm really curious to see how Sony slimmed (bam!) things down.

Engadget has an article that links to a couple of tear downs.

I might just swap the component cable I've been using for my PS2 since the TV I'm going to use the Slim on doesn't have an HDMI port (it's an older, cheap 720p model).

Along with south FL BBs, the Gamestop's all had preorder consoles and a few for those whom did not preorder. I got my system a few hours after I got Batman (for 360) and since it's just way too much fun, I didn't even set up my ps3 yet.. rofl.

Anyone transfer data from one he'd to a slim yet? I'm thinking of upgrading, but I already have a 60gb ps3. How would gameshares work also?

Woot!! Got My Slim Today!! about a week early than 9-1-09

Best part is on my way to Best Buy I found laying on the street $20 Bucks ( I have never found $20 laying on the street)

So my math was like Dis.

$299.99 + 7% Tax = $320 - $20 (street find) =$300 - $150 BB Gift card = $150

$150 for a slim PS3 Paid for with $200 from Wii sale. I am left with $50 Net profit.

And my $150 BB Gift card was from, them taking back my 120GB 360 hard drive I got for Free from Amazon. Yes Best Buy took it without receipt, and gave me full Credit.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Woot!! Got My Slim Today!! about a week early than 9-1-09

Best part is on my way to Best Buy I found laying on the street $20 Bucks ( I have never found $20 laying on the street)

So my math was like Dis.

$150 for a slim PS3 Paid for with $200 from Wii sale. I am left with $50 Net profit.

And my $150 BB Gift card was from, them taking back my 120GB 360 hard drive I got for Free from Amazon. Yes Best Buy took it without receipt, and gave me full Credit.[/QUOTE]

you like saying woot alot lol. congrats on your ps3, i will pick one up soon, probbably this weekend

edit, ohh and dont post that you return stuff to stores they werent bought from. some people on here get really pissy about it, personally i dont care what you do but just to let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Master Ninja']

And my $150 BB Gift card was from, them taking back my 120GB 360 hard drive I got for Free from Amazon. Yes Best Buy took it without receipt, and gave me full Credit.[/QUOTE]

Really?

[quote name='Master Ninja']Woot!! Got My Slim Today!! about a week early than 9-1-09

So my math was like Dis.

You know, you keep bragging about committing RETURN FRAUD(returning something to a store without a receipt when you didn't get it from that store in the first place).

You must be very proud of yourself.

Return fraud(definition from Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

Sorry im a noob to the scene... been busy with work and such. I have a ps3 fat that i got with the motorstorm bundle.

From my understanding the slim doesnt have a sd card reader correct? Also, the other thing is the slim only has 2 usb ports right?

Is there any sense of me upgrading?

IMO it seems nice and "new" , but I like having sd card and 4 usb ports. Once rockband beattles is out it will be nice to use dual mics and drums / how would two usbs handle this?

Any insight would be great.

Ah well, back to madden.

Well it could have been a gift that someone found using their Rewards card number. They looked it up, I used a buddies who had bought a 120GB HDD, and since its not a unique serial number, they said ok heres a gift card.

Only bad part is, Best Buy now thinks my buddy returned his HDD, No biggie he alreayd opened it and loves it.

Just a small minor loop hole. I have discovered.

And on a side note, YES 100% Best Buy will accept some unopened items and give you full store credit.
I mean theres no harm in talking about Best Buy store policy, Max is $100 anything over that need manager approval. And Some Best Buy may not even do it at all.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Sorry im a noob to the scene... been busy with work and such. I have a ps3 fat that i got with the motorstorm bundle.

From my understanding the slim doesnt have a sd card reader correct? Also, the other thing is the slim only has 2 usb ports right? [/QUOTE]

correct, but, to my knowledge, the newer phats only had 2 usb ports as well.

Is there any sense of me upgrading?

IMO it seems nice and "new" , but I like having sd card and 4 usb ports. Once rockband beattles is out it will be nice to use dual mics and drums / how would two usbs handle this?
a usb hub.

[quote name='orntar']correct, but, to my knowledge, the newer phats only had 2 usb ports as well.

a usb hub.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was unaware the newer phats had only 2 ports.

By the way love the avatar.

BOB SAGET!

What do you mean a Bird!?!?

[quote name='Master Ninja']Well it could have been a gift that someone found using their Rewards card number. They looked it up, I used a buddies who had bought a 120GB HDD, and since its not a unique serial number, they said ok heres a gift card.

Only bad part is, Best Buy now thinks my buddy returned his HDD, No biggie he alreayd opened it and loves it.

Just a small minor loop hole. I have discovered.

And on a side note, YES 100% Best Buy will accept some unopened items and give you full store credit.
I mean theres no harm in talking about Best Buy store policy, Max is $100 anything over that need manager approval. And Some Best Buy may not even do it at all.[/QUOTE]A loop hole?
No, it's fraud.

I just got my PS3 slim and I played it for about an hour and noticed that it got hot pretty fast. Did the fat ps3's get pretty hot as well? Other than that, I love the PS3 slim....It's so awesome.

[quote name='DestroVega']are people actually rebuying PS3's just to have a slim??[/QUOTE]

Yes in huge numbers. Especially for the Slim, it uses way less power over the course of a year a slim PS3 can save you $50 over a fat Unit with a 90nm CPU.

In reality the PS3 Slim is NOT so Slim at all.

The PS3 Was made so big because the Motherboard had to accomodate extra space for the PS2 Chipset.

Now that all the PS2 chips are gone, it is way smaller.

Plus since its cooler and uses less energy, they can shrink the cooling system down

the Fan went went a 120mm fan to a 95mm Fan..

[quote name='Shaq-Funaki']I just got my PS3 slim and I played it for about an hour and noticed that it got hot pretty fast. Did the fat ps3's get pretty hot as well? Other than that, I love the PS3 slim....It's so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Actually yeah, the back of the case by where the fans pump out the warm/hot air after about 20-30 minutes got warm to the touch on my 40gb model and a friend told me his 60 gb model sometimes gets too hot to touch in the lower right corner on the front of the console.

[quote name='Shaq-Funaki']I just got my PS3 slim and I played it for about an hour and noticed that it got hot pretty fast. Did the fat ps3's get pretty hot as well? Other than that, I love the PS3 slim....It's so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you define "pretty hot." My PS3 Phat gets about as hot as my car's steering wheel after sitting in the sun early summer. I notice the heat but it's not terribly significant.

Yea I had the same experience with mine, I was worried so I checked what people were saying on the official playstation forums. Apparently they get pretty warm. It was the bottom of the system that really worried me but it seems that is where the power supply is located so it should be standard. I didn't own any of the previous PS3's so I don't really know how hot they got but I think I'm gonna get myself a vertical stand when they are released for piece of mind.

Believe me, I've been worried bout my PS3 ever since I got it and noticed how warm it gets after like 30 minutes of playing it. But as long as it's out in the open and well ventilated, it should be ok.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Believe me, I've been worried bout my PS3 ever since I got it and noticed how warm it gets after like 30 minutes of playing it. But as long as it's out in the open and well ventilated, it should be ok.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reassurance. Like I said I have little to no experience with them and that makes me feel better.

[quote name='DestroVega']are people actually rebuying PS3's just to have a slim??[/QUOTE]

lol seems like it. its just like people buying new ds's because of the diff colors but i can see why someone would sell their ps3 if it was one of the later models. you lose only a few things and come away with more harddrive space and possibly a more sturdy system ( meaning less likely to die out on you but i guess that remains to be seen). if i didnt have one id go for a slim wonder if microsoft will come out with a slim xbox or if nintendo will come out with a slimmer ( guess since its already thing maybe they will call it an anorexic) wii.

[quote name='Wooten']Thanks for the reassurance. Like I said I have little to no experience with them and that makes me feel better.[/QUOTE]

No problem. But I look at how warm/hot this thing runs as a plus/bonus in the winter time. You can keep the heat at 65-70* and just turn on and play the PS3 for 2-3 hours to compensate.

It literally made my room about 5 degrees warmer last winter. :D

I will preffer a New PS3 Slim I like the PS2 style alot.

#1. Make the Power supply external (like the Ps2's)
#2. Shrink the motherboard more, all the current slim is a smaller mobo because Sony got rid of all the PS2, Emotion Engine and other useless PS2 chips. It can go slimmer and It will, because Sony is still lossing money on each Slim sold.
#3. Make the Hard Drive (non removeable 120GB is enough) like the Xbox 1 fixed in place, get ride of the cage etc, that should slim it even further.
#4. Have it be more artistically square, and Center the DVD Slot, why is it offset to the right?? There is no more CF, and SD slots on the left a centered DVD slot would have been cooler.

Shrink all that, reduce costs, and have better asthetics and sell it for $199.99

$299.99 is still too high, I got crazy and sold my SLIM on Craigslist $400 bucks in my pocket.

some lady said she needed it for a wedding gift asap, Luckily I never opened it.

Some day I will buy a PS3, for Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, but until I see 100% confirmation of a true MGS4 Sequel on the PS3 and $299 is still high. Didn't Sony or Konami announce a new Metal Gear Solid game for the PS3 at E3 2009 or not?

I know they are making an exclusive Metal Gear Solid game for the Xbox 360.

Maybe the God of War 3 bundle in April 2010 will convince me. But I have a gut feeling Sony will Delay God of War 3 til after E3 2010 and Not release in April 2010, I mean how are they gonna roll into E3 2010 having blown their load 2 months prior. Sony need E3 Hype God of War 3 vs Gears of War 3 if they stick to their word and release God Of War 3 on time, then E3 2010 gets owned by Gears of War 3, and then Sony has nothing for Holiday 2010.

Heck they have nothing for Holiday 2009, no blockbuster that will drive christmas sales.

I love to get a slim PS3, but not until my fat goes out. The fan is pretty big (looks like its almost a 120mm) and since its put on top of the processors shooting cold air straight down at them it should keep the system cooled alright. Also the bottom of the system is gonna be warm/hot no matter what due to the power supply (which is covered), hard drive, and the motherboard itself.

[quote name='Master Ninja']I will preffer a New PS3 Slim I like the PS2 style alot.

#1. Make the Power supply external (like the Ps2's)
#2. Shrink the motherboard more, all the current slim is a smaller mobo because Sony got rid of all the PS2, Emotion Engine and other useless PS2 chips. It can go slimmer and It will, because Sony is still lossing money on each Slim sold.
#3. Make the Hard Drive (non removeable 120GB is enough) like the Xbox 1 fixed in place, get ride of the cage etc, that should slim it even further.
#4. Have it be more artistically square, and Center the DVD Slot, why is it offset to the right?? There is no more CF, and SD slots on the left a centered DVD slot would have been cooler.

Shrink all that, reduce costs, and have better asthetics and sell it for $199.99

$299.99 is still too high, I got crazy and sold my SLIM on Craigslist $400 bucks in my pocket.

some lady said she needed it for a wedding gift asap, Luckily I never opened it.

Some day I will buy a PS3, for Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, God of War 3, but until I see 100% confirmation of a true MGS4 Sequel on the PS3 and $299 is still high. Didn't Sony or Konami announce a new Metal Gear Solid game for the PS3 at E3 2009 or not?

I know they are making an exclusive Metal Gear Solid game for the Xbox 360.

Maybe the God of War 3 bundle in April 2010 will convince me. But I have a gut feeling Sony will Delay God of War 3 til after E3 2010 and Not release in April 2010, I mean how are they gonna roll into E3 2010 having blown their load 2 months prior. Sony need E3 Hype God of War 3 vs Gears of War 3 if they stick to their word and release God Of War 3 on time, then E3 2010 gets owned by Gears of War 3, and then Sony has nothing for Holiday 2010.

Heck they have nothing for Holiday 2009, no blockbuster that will drive christmas sales.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I like the internal power supply because I dont have to mess around with a big ass brick. I like removable hard drive because I might replace it with a 500GB or an SSD. Last the disc drive is to the right because the huge black shroud (I think thats the word) keeps the airflow of the fan going in one direction.

Metal Gear Solid Rising is gonna be on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank Future Crack in Time, and most third party games on Xbox (RB Beatles, Brutal Legend, COD4). Hell maybe even Eye pet will sell well.

[quote name='mwynn']Amazon has an hdmi listed for 5 bucks, shipped if you have prime.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2ZSTDEXO9VTZF&v=glance[/QUOTE]

That's great - but does anyone have a good source for a cheap component cable? I see mention that the PS2 component cables can be used - is this for sure? It just seems odd there are so many PS3 component cable packages if they are really the same. I guess that is just marketing, though, if they are really the same ;).

I see the official Sony ones are $16 on Amazon. I may just go for that - though damn, I shoudld have checked if GS had any used ones when I was there tonight (edit: they are $10 used and it shows my closest GS has some - could be any brand though so we'll see. It might be easier just to spring for the new ones at Amazon).

I could just yank the cords off my PS2 I guess. But then since this thing isn't BC I'd like to keep that hooked up... I had bought some nice component cables on clearance at Target around Christmas but since I ended up getting a new TV (with HDMI) for the 160GB PS3 I picked up then, I didn't think I'd need them. Now that the Slim is going on the older downstairs TV I need them again. Too bad I returned 'em #-o.

[quote name='FroMann']I love to get a slim PS3, but not until my fat goes out. The fan is pretty big (looks like its almost a 120mm) and since its put on top of the processors shooting cold air straight down at them it should keep the system cooled alright. Also the bottom of the system is gonna be warm/hot no matter what due to the power supply (which is covered), hard drive, and the motherboard itself.

Sorry but I like the internal power supply because I dont have to mess around with a big ass brick. I like removable hard drive because I might replace it with a 500GB or an SSD. Last the disc drive is to the right because the huge black shroud (I think thats the word) keeps the airflow of the fan going in one direction.

Metal Gear Solid Rising is gonna be on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank Future Crack in Time, and most third party games on Xbox (RB Beatles, Brutal Legend, COD4). Hell maybe even Eye pet will sell well.[/QUOTE]

Hah you are gonna replace it with an SSD, that costs more than the PS3 itself, pure fail.

Plus check you tube IGN or someone actually installed an SSD in the PS3. And the SSD was faster for PSN game, But when they tried it for normal games like MGS4 the standard SATA hard drive was faster.

[quote name='io']That's great - but does anyone have a good source for a cheap component cable? I see mention that the PS2 component cables can be used - is this for sure? It just seems odd there are so many PS3 component cable packages if they are really the same. I guess that is just marketing, though, if they are really the same ;).

I see the official Sony ones are $16 on Amazon. I may just go for that - though damn, I shoudld have checked if GS had any used ones when I was there tonight (edit: they are $10 used and it shows my closest GS has some - could be any brand though so we'll see. It might be easier just to spring for the new ones at Amazon).

I could just yank the cords off my PS2 I guess. But then since this thing isn't BC I'd like to keep that hooked up... I had bought some nice component cables on clearance at Target around Christmas but since I ended up getting a new TV (with HDMI) for the 160GB PS3 I picked up then, I didn't think I'd need them. Now that the Slim is going on the older downstairs TV I need them again. Too bad I returned 'em #-o.[/QUOTE]

Toys R Us has the PS2/PS3 component cables on clearance for $7.98, IO. My closest store had 1-2 of them the last time I was there.

Right now I'm using a set of Mad Catz that has the normal composite hookups(red, white, yellow), but it also has an S-Video cable on it.

I think I paid all of $.49 for them new when Movie Gallery/HWV liquidated some underperforming stores a few years ago during the last week or two of operation.

For what I have (6-7 yr old SDtv), they work just great.

But definitely check TRU, IO, since you can get the Sony brand component cable there for $8.

Back to the difference of numbers between ps3 and xbox 360. Of the 15 million systems 360 has, how many are working and in circulation? I doubt that number is correct. I had 4 systems that were fuck ed. My friend has had 12 die on him (hardcore gamer). PS3 failure rates were a lot lower. I am sure the inflated numbers are a lot closer than you think.

I am not a fanboy. I liked MS but couldn't deal with constant hardware failure.
I bought a ps3 and am happy with it. I am glad the slim is out. Now we will have more people to play with.

[quote name='dimeadz']Back to the difference of numbers between ps3 and xbox 360. Of the 15 million systems 360 has, how many are working and in circulation? I doubt that number is correct. I had 4 systems that were fuck ed. My friend has had 12 die on him (hardcore gamer). PS3 failure rates were a lot lower. I am sure the inflated numbers are a lot closer than you think.

I am not a fanboy. I liked MS but couldn't deal with constant hardware failure.
I bought a ps3 and am happy with it. I am glad the slim is out. Now we will have more people to play with.[/QUOTE]

constant hardware failure! :bomb:

recently sold my 40gb ps3, had for over 2 years never had a problem with it...came across as on craigslist for ps3 at $200....come to find out it was a 60gb model, had it for about 3 months, let it run for 24 hours straight, everything is good. As for the ps3 slim I dont really care for it, prefer look of the old ones.

bread's done
Back