SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

What did you end up selling your 40gb for, osugsxr? I'm just wondering, since I want to grab a slim(so that way then I'm covered by a warranty for at least a year)and maybe sell my 40 gb off.

[quote name='io']That's great - but does anyone have a good source for a cheap component cable? I see mention that the PS2 component cables can be used - is this for sure? It just seems odd there are so many PS3 component cable packages if they are really the same. I guess that is just marketing, though, if they are really the same ;).

I see the official Sony ones are $16 on Amazon. I may just go for that - though damn, I shoudld have checked if GS had any used ones when I was there tonight (edit: they are $10 used and it shows my closest GS has some - could be any brand though so we'll see. It might be easier just to spring for the new ones at Amazon).

I could just yank the cords off my PS2 I guess. But then since this thing isn't BC I'd like to keep that hooked up... I had bought some nice component cables on clearance at Target around Christmas but since I ended up getting a new TV (with HDMI) for the 160GB PS3 I picked up then, I didn't think I'd need them. Now that the Slim is going on the older downstairs TV I need them again. Too bad I returned 'em #-o.[/QUOTE]

100% sure you can use the PS2 component cables. That's what I hook the PS3 to my son's cheap HDTV (no hdmi) with.

*EDIT*

Here's a cable at monoprice for $3.12, but on backorder until 9/7.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083003&p_id=4009&seq=1&format=2

sold the 40gb with 2 controllers and 1 game for $325....had it bundle with about 30 blurays for 500, plus there were a few more games. No takers on that...only reason I sold it is b/c I traded in a wii bundle towards the 360 60gb....zero out of pocket during a promo trade in....
had blu rays and no way of watching then, found 60gb on cl at 200.....

Damn. Well, I don't have my SixAxis that came with my system anymore, so I'm only able to offer one controller with my PS3 I have for sale. I offered up like 4-5 games with my PS3 too, though most of them are older ones that are like $15 each at GS and other stores.

I could've had a 60gb from someone up near Syracuse(NY) about 6 months ago. I found an ad on CL offering one up that needed a BR drive for $60-70, but unless I'm headed up that way for work I normally wouldn't drive the two plus hours up to there.

i have a 20gb, 80gb upgraded. not sure what im going to do. i do use the ps2 bc so i doubt i would sell it. it is a launch system and ive had it nearly 3 years!!

Is there really a drastic difference in power usage? I have a 60 and it works fine. The heat doesn't bother me as my PC is the same way, both just need to vent the air. But if the launch model is that much more a power hog over the slim that might convince me to get one when I find a good deal.

I still have my PS2. While BC is a great feature I don't absolutely need it. I would miss the 4 USB ports unless I got a hub. The card reader doesn't matter, nor most of the other non-gaming gimmicks tucked in there.

[quote name='Darknyss']It uses about 50% less power.

Link[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing as the article (about 90-100W for games on the Slim). Seems heat output is reduced a good amount as well. 38.5C down from 47C, that's 101.3F compared to 116.6F...

anybody notice the lighted up buttoms and the difference with how fast the xmb icons load up? I thought that was pretty nice. I'm also liking the look of it more than my 60 GB phat. The press release pictures doesn't do the slim justice. Then there's this little PLUS:
aRcmFR1NlsZITHc1.large

"Much to the relief of users worldwide, the power supply is designed for inputs ranging from 100V to 240V AC."

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim/1121/2

[quote name='Master Ninja']Hah you are gonna replace it with an SSD, that costs more than the PS3 itself, pure fail.

Plus check you tube IGN or someone actually installed an SSD in the PS3. And the SSD was faster for PSN game, But when they tried it for normal games like MGS4 the standard SATA hard drive was faster.[/QUOTE]
Its going to get cheaper every year. I will prob put a 500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive in my PS3 for now, but I want my console to last. So when SSDs get cheap I can put one in my PS3 and know that the SDD will last longer than a regular hard drive.

OT, but until Sony releases a firmware patch that makes optimal use of how the PS3 writes to the hard drive, I don't think you'll see much of a performance difference between SSD and mechanical drives. Also, I dunno how many games actually install everything to the drive as opposed to streaming/reading off the disc. If you've got an older system with the 1x BR drive, it won't make installs much faster either.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Sorry im a noob to the scene... been busy with work and such. I have a ps3 fat that i got with the motorstorm bundle.

From my understanding the slim doesnt have a sd card reader correct? Also, the other thing is the slim only has 2 usb ports right?

Is there any sense of me upgrading?

IMO it seems nice and "new" , but I like having sd card and 4 usb ports. Once rockband beattles is out it will be nice to use dual mics and drums / how would two usbs handle this?

Any insight would be great.

Ah well, back to madden.[/QUOTE]

A USB memory card reader will work with the PS3.

Like another poster said, USB hubs will do the trick. Also, the Rock band 2 instrument adapters also have USB ports built into them. You can easily daisy chain all of your adapters together to support multiple instruments.

I went to 3 walmarts to get a slim today but none of them had any on the shelves, and all said to pre-order online. I have some credit at Walmart and want to buy it there. Bastards. Also, i heard there is an ad somewhere for a Slim and get the ps3 bluetooth remote free, does anyone know which ad that is from?

Anyone have a comparison on power used on the fat models vs the slim model in terms of cost in electricity? I wonder how cheaper it is per month to go with the slim.

the 50% power savings alone, is worth it to me.

I have seen and read calculations about the FAt PS3 power usage. Being like $50 a year with average use. Thats $25 a year you save plus $100 upfront savings

But then again, if you want to do a real cost per kilowatt hour you will need a few things.

#1. Some power companies charge more for electricity per day, and a lower fee at night time.

#2. Once you go over 1,000 kilowatt hours a month useage whole house power companies start to charge you a little more it adds up.

#3. based on useage do you play 4 hours a day or 8 hours?? Or some days not at all like me.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/27/it-only-does-everything/

Thew new PS3 Slim ad campaign. Heh, I think it is pretty good. I love that guy (he was originally on Scare Tactics as an actor) he is really talented, I'm still waiting for him to do some big movies.[/QUOTE]

See, this is what Sony needs to start doing. Get the word out there. They should also make an ad highlighting that it's slimmer now.

[quote name='SynGamer']Remember, MSRP is 'suggested'. Retailers can sell them at whatever price they want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I understand that, but so far no retailer I've seen is offering Slims at suggested MSRP, and I'm just saying that I find it a little odd that Sony chose to make the MSRP an even number. These days, that's an unusual price for any item.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/27/it-only-does-everything/

Thew new PS3 Slim ad campaign. Heh, I think it is pretty good. I love that guy (he was originally on Scare Tactics as an actor) he is really talented, I'm still waiting for him to do some big movies.[/QUOTE]

I always felt that humor is one of the most effective means of selling a product.

This is a Win for Sony, and about freakin' time they're marketing may actually be effective.

It seems like Sony has really turned the ship around in terms of media perception. And it's only been ~1.5 weeks since the announcement of the Slim, to boot, and it's not even officially out yet.

"What is this, 1992?" :rofl:

[quote name='perdition(troy']I gotta throw this out there, but is it worth getting a ps3 just to play demon souls? Because that game looks amazing...[/QUOTE]

That depends on how difficult you like your games. If you like a game that has no checkpoints and no in-game save feature that allows you to have the joy of starting back at the beginning of a level when you die(and you'll die ALOT), then Demon's Souls is the game for you.

I bought it from someone from CAG who imported it via PlayAsia and I played it for about a month and I'm STILL on the first level. :roll:

Of course, it didn't help that the majority of that month was spent playing GTAIV, Saint's Row 2 and Prototype more than I ever played DS.

But yeah, this game has a difficulty level like I've never seen before in ANY game.

Thing is, the US release isn't due out until October, so you have like 2 months to decide. Watch some YouTube videos of the game in action and decide for yourself.

Wow Sony really needed to reboot the whole Playstation brand, from First place to dead last their arrogance really blew up in their faces.

#1. New console design
#2. New Game packaging
#3. New Ads

its like they want to forget the last 3 years even happened, the PS3 has been such a money drain and failure for Sony that part of me thinks they want to speed things up and get this entire console generation in the past. Like everything they intended to do with Bluray and its space advantages happened in reverse, like Extra PS3 only DLC, or more Exclusives because developers want to fill up and use the Bluray. Actually they got fewer exclusives, lost most of the exclusives they had for years, and got less DLC.

I still can't figure out of Sony just blundered everything, or Microsoft out foxed them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because he's a troll, dallow. He just wants attention.[/QUOTE]
Ohh, its much more than that. This guy is a whack job.

Must have been a rough meeting over at the MS headquarters for all the paid forum posters. Key points, call sony failure a lot, talk about how sony needs this generation to end ASAP for it to have a chance of not filing for unemployment and more im sure we'll be seeing. I wonder if they serve exotic cream cheeses with the bagels at these meetings...

[quote name='blitz6speed']Must have been a rough meeting over at the MS headquarters for all the paid forum posters. Key points, call sony failure a lot, talk about how sony needs this generation to end ASAP for it to have a chance of not filing for unemployment and more im sure we'll be seeing. I wonder if they serve exotic cream cheeses with the bagels at these meetings...[/QUOTE]

no they serve lox and bagels, and I only wish I was a paid forum poster. I could use the cash. Anyways, can we face facts here? we can't disagree with is points on pure logic alone, so lets attack him personally. I expected more.

besides the new look and reboot look way better, hey when your at the bottom, theres no where to go but up.

I'm dying to get a slim ps3 all of a sudden! Does anyone think it's a good idea to buy one then sell it online making a little profit...then buying another for myself? :eek:

[quote name='sasuke543']I'm dying to get a slim ps3 all of a sudden! Does anyone think it's a good idea to buy one then sell it online making a little profit...then buying another for myself? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Most will flame your post, do what you gut tells you. Don't come here and ask it, because you will get flamed for it. On a personal note, I think it's a good idea.

still debating on wheter or not to get rid of the 60gb, sell it on craigslist and buy a slim. Dont use it for media or anything, mainly gaming and blu rays, no need for ps2 games either

I've been doing the math(and hoping that the GS trade thread prices are fairly current or still holding in value)and I'm about to get rid of 15-16 or more of my PS3 games, as well as my fat PS3 and grab a slim PS3.

If I do all that though, I'm definitely going to give GS one of the copies of Saint's Row 2 I got from Hollywood Video without real coverart or a manual, since I wanna keep the nice complete one for myself. :razz:

[quote name='sasuke543']I'm dying to get a slim ps3 all of a sudden! Does anyone think it's a good idea to buy one then sell it online making a little profit...then buying another for myself? :eek:[/QUOTE]

If you can turn a profit, good on ya.

I just don't think you will.

Yeah. That's one thing I will say, is that the slim PS3 doesn't seem to be in as short of a supply as the 20's and 60's were back when the system launched(or the Wii for a while there).

I just want one for the sake of having another year warranty. Of course, if I had a real Visa card(or one of the cards that doubles manufacturer's warranties)and used it to buy my PS3, then I wouldn't even be considering this.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Most will flame your post, do what you gut tells you. Don't come here and ask it, because you will get flamed for it. On a personal note, I think it's a good idea.[/QUOTE]

I apologize if that kind of posted I made was not allowed here. Won't do it again but thanks for the advice! :)

It really seems Sony finally learned the lesson all console makers need to learn - have enough units available on launch day!

I don't know who's calling the shots but it seems they finally got smart with the PS3 slim launch.

There was a giant pyramid of them at Fry's when I was there yesterday ;).

And Best Buy seems to be playing the "make 'em look scarce" game. I was there Tuesday and they had one on the floor. Last night the same BB had 5 or 6 out. I guess they just keep pulling them from the back to replenish the small table where they have them displayed.

FWIW, the one I ordered from Amazon is supposedly out for delivery by Fedex right now.

I went to BB yesterday and they had about 30 PS3 slim and I picked one up. When I set it up, I had to update to the latest version 2.80 I thought they're launching it with 3.00

Also tried to upgrade the HDD to my WD500GB, which worked in my fat PS3, but I tried plug and play and couldn't get the WD to work on the new slim. Wanted to know if anyone has tried upgrading yet or a link on this issue.

Unfortunately, you cannot seamlessly move the HDD from your fat PS3 to a Slim and expect everything to work. You'll need to reformat and re-install all the files from it.

bread's done
Back