SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

[quote name='A Happy Panda']=/ Then there's no way the Slim launches at $299 now...sad face. Unless this $299 thing is just to simply clear out stock....then Sony has a ton of pissed off customers complaining that they just bought a PS3 for $299, then they come out with a better, slimmer model for the same price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suspect you're right about where the slim price is gonna fall. Still, if the slim is flat-out BC, then at least we can wait for a drop on *that.*

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']lol if this turns into another fake post/ Kotaku freakout fiasco...[/QUOTE]

lol that would be funny if this was another fake

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']lol if this turns into another fake post/ Kotaku freakout fiasco...[/QUOTE]

4 real...

Is this package finally going to include an HDMI cable? or do I have to wait a week and buy a HDMI cable at Monoprice :lol:

Oswald has been on that PS3 price drop and now he finally has his proof. Way to go man.

[quote name='Oswald9599']PS3 $299 and Xb360 $299, now the real holiday console wars begin.[/QUOTE]

Yup, specially with the Elite becoming the new $299 model.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']=/ Then there's no way the Slim launches at $299 now...sad face. Unless this $299 thing is just to simply clear out stock....then Sony has a ton of pissed off customers complaining that they just bought a PS3 for $299, then they come out with a better, slimmer model for the same price.[/QUOTE]

This is what is holding me back from getting ready to purchase one. It's most likely the slim will come out at $399 and I won't be able to stand having gotten the older model.

you know theres always the possibility that the ps3 slim doesnt exist and the "rumor" of it existing was a way to do a price drop and sell some ps3s. if it does exist though theres no way it'll be 299 when things tend to get smaller they often go up in price. like flat screen tvs.

[quote name='JJSP']We're so getting sued again.[/QUOTE]

We? No, I just post here. The cat who paid $10K to be on Howard Stern is getting sued. He can afford a classy attorney to look into this. Does he want to? No. Can he afford it? Appears so.

[quote name='[email protected]']$199.99 oR SHaLL CONTINUE tO iGNORe...[/QUOTE]

Christ almighty, honeybunch, if you type like that all the time I hope the PS3 never hits $199.99.

Keep drinking that haterade. I am a guerrilla journalist with no photoshop skills,if this is fake, I would be damn proud of how good of a fake it is. Im sure Cheapy wouldnt have put it on the front if he didnt feel my info and source were not valid.

Thanks for your opinion though xGunCrazyx

Great find, man. For those who are quick to put down this find, just wait. Im sure you'll find yourselves wrong soon.

[quote name='oasisboy']4 real...

Is this package finally going to include an HDMI cable? or do I have to wait a week and buy a HDMI cable at Monoprice :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh heck, just do it anyways. It's about $7. Good to have ready to go. You can use it to discipline children to stay off your lawn until then.

At $299, the PS3 is something I can afford. Thank you, Sony, for making the choice between PS3 and Xbox much much easier.

Unfortunately, I can't afford it right now. BUT, I am confident I'll own a PS3 before the year ends. I hope by then it will have BC enabled.

Two questions:

1.What is the image to the right of the Uncharted game in the 120 gig picture?

2. How well does the PS3 play PS1 games as compared to the PS2's BC??

[quote name='mykevermin']Christ almighty, honeybunch, if you type like that all the time I hope the PS3 never hits $199.99.[/QUOTE]
He used his email address as his username, so you might be right on about his typing skills.

I guess they're finally clearing out the 160 GB SKU, which good since that was a dumb move in this economy. With Uncharted being a GH now means those were less of a deal than before, so they need to finally get rid of them.

[quote name='Cage017']At $299, the PS3 is something I can afford. Thank you, Sony, for making the choice between PS3 and Xbox much much easier.

Unfortunately, I can't afford it right now. BUT, I am confident I'll own a PS3 before the year ends. I hope by then it will have BC enabled.

Two questions:

1.What is the image to the right of the Uncharted game in the 120 gig picture?

2. How well does the PS3 play PS1 games as compared to the PS2's BC??[/QUOTE]

1. i think it comes with PAIN PSN game

2. i think only the 20gb/60gb can play ps1 games, they play them the same as the ps2, but u can get full screen

i got my ps3 like.. 2.5 years ago for $400 with 2 games and 2 controllers woo!

thanks for notifying the nation oswald, too bad u dont have a website or else ud get so much traffic.

[quote name='Furashu']1. i think it comes with PAIN PSN game

2. i think only the 20gb/60gb can play ps1 games, they play them the same as the ps2, but u can get full screen

i got my ps3 like.. 2.5 years ago for $400 with 2 games and 2 controllers woo!

thanks for notifying the nation oswald, too bad u dont have a website or else ud get so much traffic.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I know. Now because of this I'm going to make one, and hopefully I can get some of you CAG's to write for me.

Updated with extra pic. Shows branding which I kept out originally to protect certain parties. Hope this quells some of the hate, but once again thanks to all of you who are supporting this.

That's assuming that the Slim is the same as the standard PS3 model , aside from being smaller. Word going around seemed to imply that the slim would either lose USB ports and/or loose wi-fi functionality out of the box (ie , make it just like the 360). If either of those end up being true , then those that pick up an older unit at the new price would make out better than someone who picks up a slim at that price.

As for me , I really don't care whether it ends up being a slim model or not , $299 is a price I can live with for the PS3 , now I just need to wait for the drop itself (and to finally get around to getting an HDTV to use with it , as well as my 360).

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, yes. Thanks, Oswald - for being the next martyr speedy.[/QUOTE]

aww man. I miss speedy.

I'll hold out for three things.

1) The Slim being $299.99. I don't need Wi-Fi since I live in A apartment so no big deal there. USB ports? lol.

2) Dell.com. It's only a matter of time before they put the old PS3's at even lower then $300 or the slim being discounted at say $280 or something.

3) Christmas cash or early purchase next year. No need to rush to get a slim. Wait for the kinks to be mentioned and when those are in mass production. I think even at $300 the 360 will still outsell the PS3, at least in the US. Europe and Japan will be different stories.

I don't think the Slim will have features taken out, USB ports are needed, at least 2.
And wi-fi is a big need for a lot of people who have consoles in different rooms from routers

Isn't Sony going for the value added approach?

Good to know Sony has finally pulled their head out of the sand a bit. I grabbed mine at $399, but $299 will still be too much for most consumers. Needs to be $250 or less by the end of the year IMO.

[quote name='RudyPants']Good to know Sony has finally pulled their head out of the sand a bit. I grabbed mine at $399, but $299 will still be too much for most consumers. Needs to be $250 or less by the end of the year IMO.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but seeing how a Wii is 250 dollars still I think Sony finally got it at the best price point.

I'm also wondering if it will beat MS in terms of holiday sales. I know a few people (myself included) that were waiting for a hefty PS3 price drop before getting one.

Also wonder how it will effect Wii sales to.

There's no doubt in my mind that the PS3 will outsell the 360 if this is true.

What's the difference in total sales? 7 million?

Depends who you ask. Dr. Mario Kart probably knows better.

I know that on average this year the 360 has been outselling the PS3 by quite a bit monthly. While the Wii just eats everything up as usual.

Don't forget that the 360 Elite is going to be $300 at the end of the month
I'm gonna be grabbing one to replace my launch premium for sure lol

btw, kudos for OP putting FYE logo in the photo now :)

I got my sealed uncharted 160bg bundle last december for $300 on craigslist! I'm suprised all the people "holding out" on here for the past 3 years that havent found their own deals till now. maybe i got lucky i only searched for a week for that deal...

If they hold out, the sales will always have to be cheaper than the actual price, so now PS3's could be gotten for under 300 easily

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm also wondering if it will beat MS in terms of holiday sales. I know a few people (myself included) that were waiting for a hefty PS3 price drop before getting one.

Also wonder how it will effect Wii sales to.[/QUOTE]

Well...Microsoft's probably going to do their 2 game bundle this year. But the question is what games? But if Sony counters with a game/movie it could be much more interesting. If they don't, Microsoft wins. But the $100 price difference made Sony close to/beat Microsoft for a few months last year. When that $200 price difference hit again, Microsoft blew them out of the water.

Wii...they have NSMB for Wii and Wii Fit Plus. The unholy alliance of system sellers is on their side this season. Oh, and probably something about shortages and them talking those up. Wii sales have been dipping because they're on shelves in abundance right now. If they limit supply just a tad, they'll go back up.

Code:
	   360	   ps3
2005	  607,000
2006	3,925,000--688,000
2007	4,619,000-2,558,000
2008	4,807,400-3,544,900
2009	1,823,500-1,241,500
Total  15,781,900-8,032,400
7.7 million difference is harder to make up than you might think.

On the subject of price drops, looking at the trends after the Gamecube and XBOX price drops dont give me any reason to believe that it will make a big difference now in the case of PS3. Spikes of up to 300% occured, within a year they were back to where they were pre-drop. You have to understand that once you are on a decline, theres only so much you can do to offset it. PS2 hit its peak in 2002, but year over year drops were small.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Microshock']If they hold out, the sales will always have to be cheaper than the actual price, so now PS3's could be gotten for under 300 easily[/QUOTE]
oh ok got ya makes sense, the peeps that only had/wanted to spend 200 ish have a better shot. got ya. i was happy with the $499 to $300 at the time. It honestly is a system that warrents any price...meaning I'm all for price drops but it is a $500 feeling system. although i am from the kid nes generation, all systems now are soooo amazing.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
Code:
       360       ps3
2005      607,000
2006    3,925,000--688,000
2007    4,619,000-2,558,000
2008    4,807,400-3,544,900
2009    1,823,500-1,241,500
Total  15,781,900-8,032,400
7.7 million difference is harder to make up than you might think.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that for America only though?

Tempting, but I think I'm still gonna wait. They've gotta add back-compat in again at some point, right? Otherwise I'll have to get a 60gb off eBay...

Correct, thats NPD (US). In Japan, PS3 leads 3 million to 1 million. Europe is hard to get good numbers for, but 360 probably has a fractional lead overall due to strength in the UK in particular.

The chances of PS3 overtaking 360 worldwide is very slim.

It is interesting to note that 2nd place in Japan has been 3rd worldwide for over 20 years.

Wii: first in Japan, first worldwide
PS3: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

PS2: first in Japan, first worldwide
GC: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

PSX: first in Japan, first worldwide
Saturn: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

SNES: first in Japan, first worldwide
PC Engine: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Correct, thats NPD (US). In Japan, PS3 leads 3 million to 1 million. Europe is hard to get good numbers for, but 360 probably has a fractional lead overall due to strength in the UK in particular.

The chances of PS3 overtaking 360 worldwide is very slim.[/QUOTE]

America is an uphill battle, especially when you already got the poor frat boys and essentially uneducated masses with your system, but I say it has a chance to even out when you consider it worldwide.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Correct, thats NPD (US). In Japan, PS3 leads 3 million to 1 million. Europe is hard to get good numbers for, but 360 probably has a fractional lead overall due to strength in the UK in particular.

The chances of PS3 overtaking 360 worldwide is very slim.

It is interesting to note that 2nd place in Japan has been 3rd worldwide for over 20 years.

Wii: first in Japan, first worldwide
PS3: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

PS2: first in Japan, first worldwide
GC: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

PSX: first in Japan, first worldwide
Saturn: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide

SNES: first in Japan, first worldwide
PC Engine: second in Japan, 3rd worldwide[/QUOTE]

The N64 was second in Japan not the Saturn. The N64 sold more since the Saturn was prematurely killed.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm showing Saturn running from 1994 to 2000 in Japan. I dont have exact hardware numbers, but I have top 100 software from 1996 forward and Saturn murders N64. Maybe they were just really hardcore :)

For example.
Code:
1996:   Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn	33	8655960	
Nintendo 64	4	1642921

1997: Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn	20	4398103	
Nintendo 64	8	2330510

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'm not so sure about that. I'm showing Saturn running from 1994 to 2000 in Japan. I dont have exact hardware numbers, but I have top 100 software from 1996 forward and Saturn murders N64. Maybe they were just really hardcore :)

For example.
Code:
1996:   Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn    33    8655960    
Nintendo 64    4    1642921

1997: Titles in top 100 - Units
Sega Saturn    20    4398103    
Nintendo 64    8    2330510
[/QUOTE]

To be fair the saturn DID have a lot of those hentai games..........

Considering the fact that more U.S. households have 360's than a PS3, it only makes sence that with this drop the PS3 will outsell the 360 this holiday season. If they can't do it this year they might as well give up.

[quote name='StarKnightX']That's assuming that the Slim is the same as the standard PS3 model , aside from being smaller. Word going around seemed to imply that the slim would either lose USB ports and/or loose wi-fi functionality out of the box (ie , make it just like the 360). If either of those end up being true , then those that pick up an older unit at the new price would make out better than someone who picks up a slim at that price.

As for me , I really don't care whether it ends up being a slim model or not , $299 is a price I can live with for the PS3 , now I just need to wait for the drop itself (and to finally get around to getting an HDTV to use with it , as well as my 360).[/QUOTE]

Right now(and apparently until next January)Target has an ACER LCD monitor that will work with the PS3. It has ports for VGA, HDMI and one other input method(which eludes me right now).

It's only $189, which is even cheap enough for me. However, it's only a 21" model, but that's more than enough for me.

I don't think PS3 should have a price drop. It's a shame that a 360 with 20 GB is the same price as 80 GB PS3. The PS3 is obviously the superior hardware. It may not be the better experience but it at least the thing isn't a piece of ****.

wow. if this price drop happens before the end of the month on amazon, people that still have there $75 console coupon will be very happy with a $225 ps3.

bread's done
Back