SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

[quote name='SynGamer']These $100 'price drops' aren't actually price drops, they are sales by the retailers trying to clear out stock for a new model. Sony hasn't dropped the price on the PS3 from $399 yet. I'm expecting $349.99 (maybe with a game?)...it just makes financial sense for Sony. They can't continue to lose money on this thing and expect to stay afloat. I'm still hoping for $299, but I just don't see how they can do it...[/QUOTE]

They can do it by giving solid support to software. The issue has always been that the high price tag would be okay if it was followed by formidable software and quantity. I mean I remember when the GAME BOY was $300. Yet it had the software and brand recognition to sell systems. The Playstation brand has easily the highest install rate next to Nintendo as a whole. Everyone loved and almost everyone owns a PS2. The PS3 going to a lower price reaffirms the install base from PS2. It's not a matter of how they can, It is that they have to or this will be another bust holiday for Sony.

Thing is, I can see Sony pricing the Slim at $349.99 and then letting retails offer the deals for $299. The retailers get a pretty nice discount when they buy from Sony (last I checked it was roughly 30% but that's a bit old) so That means if they buy a PS3 Slim for $349.99 from Sony, they are paying roughly $244.99. So they can price the PS3 at $299 and still make money while Sony may finally start to break even...

Just throwing it out there.

[quote name='SynGamer']They can't continue to lose money on this thing and expect to stay afloat. I'm still hoping for $299, but I just don't see how they can do it...[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that manufacturing costs of the PS3 had decreased substantially and a $299 price point was very reasonable.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think its unreasonable at all for people to complain that it took nearly 3 years for the PS3 to reach the maximum acceptable launch price for home consoles. I'm not in the market for one so it doesnt personally matter to me what the price is, I'm just an observer here.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause:BRAVO!!

Doubling the launch price of a console from one gen to the next FTL!! I still get a kick out of the fact that Nintendo is kickin' ass and they only did a 'minor upgrade' from the GC to the Wii. The $300 pricetag was hard enough to stomach, asking for twice that has been virtual suicide for Sony. They went from first to third. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Great deal, I'm still waiting until I finish some more of my xbox games I went on a huge spending spree the past few months and have like 30 games to play, because of this site haha. When I'm done with a good amount I'm definitely going to hop on this or the slim or whatever the best value is at the time. Thanks OP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:applause::applause:BRAVO!!

Doubling the launch price of a console from one gen to the next FTL!! I still get a kick out of the fact that Nintendo is kickin' ass and they only did a 'minor upgrade' from the GC to the Wii. The $300 pricetag was hard enough to stomach, asking for twice that has been virtual suicide for Sony. They went from first to third. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.[/QUOTE]
You get what you pay for. The wii shouldn't even be counted with the other consoles anymore cause it's in a market of it's own. The reason it sells so well is because of all the non gamers who buy it. Your telling me next gen you would love it if ever console followed the wii formula of going casual?

[quote name='Ryukahn']I was under the impression that manufacturing costs of the PS3 had decreased substantially and a $299 price point was very reasonable.[/QUOTE]

But retailers don't pay $299 if that is the MSRP.

I'm really confused why people are so cranky about me wanting backwards compatability (I'm glaring at you Lokizz.) I have a bunch of PS2 games I want to play still, is it so terriible for me to want to be able to play them still? Software emulation would be fine. My wife has even given me permission to buy one when I find a BC for that price.

I was just at Besbuy picking up Fallout 3 collector's edition for $20. I noticed there were no PS3s anywhere in the store. The slim must be on its way.

Or more 80gb units are. But with a lower price so retailers don't lose their asses on the units they have.

Also, Fallout 3 GOTY edition is still a better deal than $20 Fallout 3 CE because of the DLC.

[quote name='Gillespee']I'm really confused why people are so cranky about me wanting backwards compatability (I'm glaring at you Lokizz.) I have a bunch of PS2 games I want to play still, is it so terriible for me to want to be able to play them still? Software emulation would be fine. My wife has even given me permission to buy one when I find a BC for that price.[/QUOTE]

Tell your wife that I give you permission to buy whatever you want with the money you've earned. ;)

[quote name='jrsmaster411']You get what you pay for. The wii shouldn't even be counted with the other consoles anymore cause it's in a market of it's own. The reason it sells so well is because of all the non gamers who buy it. Your telling me next gen you would love it if ever console followed the wii formula of going casual?[/QUOTE]

everytime I talk to a non gamer about the Wii, they find it fun and the price is low enough to where it isn't a issue. They find 249 reasonable, also, the Wii looks MORE reasonable when the other two options are (were) 399, and 599. Unfortunately, everone can't follow the Wii's formula.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']You get what you pay for. The wii shouldn't even be counted with the other consoles anymore cause it's in a market of it's own. The reason it sells so well is because of all the non gamers who buy it. Your telling me next gen you would love it if ever console followed the wii formula of going casual?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would love it if they keep it CHEAP($300 MAX for a console).

As for the 'casual' and 'non gamer' being the ones buying a Wii more, who are YOU to say who is a gamer and who isn't? Are they playing a video game when they play the Wii? Yes. So that makes them a gamer.

If the 'hardcore' gamers wanted Blu-Ray and a more expensive console, then great, make one for them and give those of us frugal gamers our gaming the way we want it.

With how many confusing SKU's Sony and MS have gone through, they could've done just that by now. Make a 'core' model of the PS3 for the non HD inclined(I still game on an SDtv) and a BR model for those with the HD sets.

That alone would've probably knocked off a hundred or two from the launch price.

At 250, the Wii is one of the cheapest but worst deals on the market. Outdated GC hardware, 1 wiimote and a nunchuk for that much money? Seriously, there's no way that hardware is worth more than 20 dollars.

Also, can someone explain how they got the HTML PSN trophy cards to work here? This site only takes bb code

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I would love it if they keep it CHEAP($300 MAX for a console).

As for the 'casual' and 'non gamer' being the ones buying a Wii more, who are YOU to say who is a gamer and who isn't? Are they playing a video game when they play the Wii? Yes. So that makes them a gamer.

If the 'hardcore' gamers wanted Blu-Ray and a more expensive console, then great, make one for them and give those of us frugal gamers our gaming the way we want it.

With how many confusing SKU's Sony and MS have gone through, they could've done just that by now. Make a 'core' model of the PS3 for the non HD inclined(I still game on an SDtv) and a BR model for those with the HD sets.

That alone would've probably knocked off a hundred or two from the launch price.[/QUOTE]
It's easy to say you wish stuff was cheap but making a good console doesn't come cheap. If Sony sold the ps3 at 250 at launch they'd be losing more money than they are today, even if they sold like the wii, and don't give me that "who's to say who's a gamer and who isn't" everyone knows the wii is mostly owned by people who don't play games on a regular basis and would rather buy wii fit and wii sports over metroid and mario. Your thinking small minded and not of the big picture. Your praising the wii for being cheap but it's actually the most overpriced console on the market. Just be careful what you ask for.

[quote name='Gillespee']I'm really confused why people are so cranky about me wanting backwards compatability (I'm glaring at you Lokizz.) I have a bunch of PS2 games I want to play still, is it so terriible for me to want to be able to play them still? Software emulation would be fine. My wife has even given me permission to buy one when I find a BC for that price.[/QUOTE]

im annoyed with all the whining. everyone has known for a while now ( a few years) that bc was going to be taken out of the ps3s and if you wanted a bc system why not just look or ask here on the site for any good deals on bc systems. they can still be found whether its full or partial bc theyre there and they can be had at very good prices but most people would rather complain about it than do research.

bc was a huge deal for me too which is why i got in on one when it was available at a discount why people want to whine about not having it now when it can be had if you just do the searching to find it is beyond me.

a number of people really seem to think theyre going to get a ps3 with all the bells and whistles for 200 bucks or less and even more seem to feel they are entitled to get it even when they dont have a ps3 at all or dont want to shell out any money for one. even at 300 bucks with what theyve taken out of current model ps3's youre getting a hell of a deal imo.

Yeah, I'm personally looking forward to Backwards Compatibility as well. The God of War franchise, Shadow of The Colossus, Final Fantasy Games, Kingdom Hearts series... there's many I still wanna play.

price is still too high for me

199 is the buy point i will buy.. or 299 if it was backward .... but without it being able to play ps2 games no reason for me to buy it..

Hell i dont even play my xbox 360 (got it for 70 off amazon thanksgiving hick up)

now if it was 2 or 3 years ago maybe (when i still played system games) but now i only mostly play handhelds

the CAG community comes through once again, as the source for breaking news, oswalds is the first Legit evidence the PS3 will soon drop to $299.

no where else

[quote name='tenma']I understand your point, but...seriously, a used ps2 is like $60 on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Understood, and I own a slim, but for convenience's sake and for better display on an HDTV, PS2 BC makes a lot of sense on PS3. Add on the fact that unless it's a software solution, committing to hardware without PS2 guts inside for BC means that buyers of these PS3 models will NEVER have PS2 BC, and you understand why a lot of people feel trepidation in jumping into the platform.

Blah blah sony hater, but I actually was kinda wanting one this holiday but I'm still just getting a very "meh" feeling from it. Maybe I'll get one by the end of the year. Maybe.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I would love it if they keep it CHEAP($300 MAX for a console).

That alone would've probably knocked off a hundred or two from the launch price.[/QUOTE]What do you mean by that?PS3 with dvd drive and one with a blu ray drive?

Backwards compatibility whiners:

37482319.ps2scph700001.jpg

It's called a PS2.

$100 new, much less than that used.

Buy one. Then, dry your tears, and stop your pathetic whining.

Or you could've bought a PS3 when they had BC, instead of sitting around in a puddle of your own salty tears crying and throwing a baby fit about the price.

[quote name='lokizz']im annoyed with all the whining. everyone has known for a while now ( a few years) that bc was going to be taken out of the ps3s and if you wanted a bc system why not just look or ask here on the site for any good deals on bc systems. they can still be found whether its full or partial bc theyre there and they can be had at very good prices but most people would rather complain about it than do research.

bc was a huge deal for me too which is why i got in on one when it was available at a discount why people want to whine about not having it now when it can be had if you just do the searching to find it is beyond me.

a number of people really seem to think theyre going to get a ps3 with all the bells and whistles for 200 bucks or less and even more seem to feel they are entitled to get it even when they dont have a ps3 at all or dont want to shell out any money for one. even at 300 bucks with what theyve taken out of current model ps3's youre getting a hell of a deal imo.[/QUOTE]

I agree. People don't seem to understand the PS2 used the Emotion Engine. Whereas the PS3 uses Cell processing which are two different architectures unlike the Xbox. Its not as simple as loading software to emulate the PS2. Firmware emulation might work, but I doubt they would still get 100% compatibility just like with the software 80gig SKUs.

Backwards compadibility was part of the game in 2007 and it was dropped to save on manufacturing costs. The public voted with their wallet and wanted a $399 PS3 and here we are now at the cusp of a $299 PS3. Which is a fantastic deal nonetheless.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll have to wait until the PS2 reaches end of life to see a firmware solution.

[quote name='slidecage']price is still too high for me

199 is the buy point i will buy.. or 299 if it was backward .... but without it being able to play ps2 games no reason for me to buy it..

Hell i dont even play my xbox 360 (got it for 70 off amazon thanksgiving hick up)

now if it was 2 or 3 years ago maybe (when i still played system games) but now i only mostly play handhelds[/QUOTE]
If this is true for you then I don't see why you would want a PS3 at any price point. Sounds to me like your in the market for a PS2

[quote name='jrsmaster411']If this is true for you then I don't see why you would want a PS3 at any price point. Sounds to me like your in the market for a PS2[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He said he would haven't been in the market for a 360 if it were not for a hiccup.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Backwards compatibility whiners:

It's called a PS2.

Or you could've bought a PS3 when they had BC, instead of sitting around in a puddle of your own salty tears crying and throwing a baby fit about the price.[/QUOTE]

I have an 80GB PS3. My PS2 broke. I'm not buying another one. Why should I pay that much for a feature that should be included in the system? I already spent fucking 500 bucks on the damn thing.

[Picture]

It's called a PS2.

Or you could've bought a PS3 when they had BC, instead of sitting around in a puddle of your own salty tears crying and throwing a baby fit about the price.[/QUOTE]

This.

/end No BC QQing.

[quote name='snakelda']What do you mean by that?PS3 with dvd drive and one with a blu ray drive?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I meant. Who asked for a Blu-Ray drive, which was new tech, which was one of the reasons why the price got so jacked up.

Oh and Rouzhokuu, the reason many of us 'whine' about the lack of BC is because Sony was initially touting it as one of the selling points of the PS3.

I know of at least ONE thing(Blu-Ray) that they could've taken out that would've reduced the console by about the same amount as removing the PS2 components.

Instead, they removed the PS2 components and some of the extraneous crap(memory card ports, 2 USB ports), rather than sacrifice the trojan horse of Blu-Ray.

I, for one, will NEVER use my PS3 as a movie player and even if I someday DID, it would be to play DVD's until BR discs drop to $5-10 each NEW, so Sony could still shove BR up their ass as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='wwe101']i wonder if the lbp and killzone bundles at bestbuy will be $299 also?[/QUOTE]

If you can find them, they sell like hotcakes. Even the LBP/Wall-E bundle I have not seen in awhile now.

It's called a PS2.

ORrrr orrrrrrr maybe,just maybe,people didn't have that kind of money at the time to spend on the BC ps3's when they came out and by the time they did have the money it was like 700 to buy one or a 399 non bc one.

Paying 300 dollars extra for something that shouldn't of been takin out and the fact I got a ps2 no thanks not worth it.Think before you speak next time.

I dont agree that you should buy a PS2 just for BC, but the fact is that BC is not really the big selling point for these consoles anymore imo. Look at the 360 the last BC update was NOV 2008. If I remember correctly MS was preaching BC support throughout the 360's life cycle, but that didnt happen and it's still a great system for $300. Im going back to my software point. If Sony bundles God Of war 3 with a PS3 for $349.99, or even markets PS3 with god of war separately at $300, they will see results.

Blu-ray is never getting removed, all of the retail games depend on that

So no there won't be a version with just DVD, that's crazy talk

[quote name='Oswald9599']I dont agree that you should buy a PS2 just for BC, but the fact is that BC is not really the big selling point for these consoles anymore imo. Look at the 360 the last BC update was NOV 2008. If I remember correctly MS was preaching BC support throughout the 360's life cycle, but that didnt happen and it's still a great system for $300. Im going back to my software point. If Sony bundles God Of war 3 with a PS3 for $349.99, or even markets PS3 with god of war separately at $300, they will see results.[/QUOTE]

Yep. BC is not a deal-breaker to the mass market since the PS3 library is very much up to snuff. They didn't pay for BC when it was $499. The hard cores did however as the MGS4 bundle didn't last long either. What the mass market does like is PS1 titles like Final Fantasy VII available to download.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's exactly what I meant. Who asked for a Blu-Ray drive, which was new tech, which was one of the reasons why the price got so jacked up.

Oh and Rouzhokuu, the reason many of us 'whine' about the lack of BC is because Sony was initially touting it as one of the selling points of the PS3.

I know of at least ONE thing(Blu-Ray) that they could've taken out that would've reduced the console by about the same amount as removing the PS2 components.

Instead, they removed the PS2 components and some of the extraneous crap(memory card ports, 2 USB ports), rather than sacrifice the trojan horse of Blu-Ray.

I, for one, will NEVER use my PS3 as a movie player and even if I someday DID, it would be to play DVD's until BR discs drop to $5-10 each NEW, so Sony could still shove BR up their ass as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]
How dare they use technology to advanced for me. Put it on floppy disks and charge me less. Your argument is completely ruined by the fact that every game is on a blu-ray disk. If all you care about in a console is the price tag then you should be buying a ps2 or wii.

[quote name='technole']Yep. BC is not a deal-breaker to the mass market since the PS3 library is very much up to snuff. They didn't pay for BC when it was $499. The hard cores did however as the MGS4 bundle didn't last long either. What the mass market does like is PS1 titles like Final Fantasy VII available to download.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, if they were really going to support BC 100% 24/7 there would be little to no need for XBOX ORIGINALS or a PS1 section at the PSN store. The fact is that dlc is the way that these markets are looking to strive a backlist business, and it works. FF VII is clear proof of that.

It's called a PS2.

Funny thing is, the PS2 has a whole lot more (good and perhaps better) games than the PS3.

Why not expand the PS3's limited library and welcome the MASSIVE user base (PS2) that supported your company last generation?

But no, go ahead and continue to have the PS2 outsell it's big brother.

And you wonder why PS3 is in last place this generation?

-Price of Console
-Game Library
-Game Prices

It's called a PS2.

Why buy the PS2 and have two consoles taking space, when one console could do the job of both.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']How dare they use technology to advanced for me. Put it on floppy disks and charge me less. Your argument is completely ruined by the fact that every game is on a blu-ray disk.[/QUOTE]

Which don't play or look any differently than the ones on 360. When are we going to see the Blu-Ray difference? Probably never.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's exactly what I meant. Who asked for a Blu-Ray drive, which was new tech, which was one of the reasons why the price got so jacked up.

I, for one, will NEVER use my PS3 as a movie player and even if I someday DID, it would be to play DVD's until BR discs drop to $5-10 each NEW, so Sony could still shove BR up their ass as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the BC only because it WAS something they were touting at the launch of the PS3. With the current patents for emulating PS2 games via the Cell and RSX, I have no doubt that PS2 BC will be coming back in some form...however;

Are you fucking retarded? Sony is a BUSINESS. They are in this for the long-run to make money. Winning the HD format war with Blu-ray brings them royalties, and that will only increase with time. Blu-ray also allows developers to never have to worry about storage space this generation as well as including some nice extras. Look at the Stranglehold CE, it included Hard Boiled (the movie) on the game disc (Blu-ray). That's fucking awesome if you ask me (and others I'm sure). But how can you honestly expect Sony to remove Blu-ray when PS3 games REQUIRE it to be played...didn't really think that one through did you, now?

Just because you don't want or like Blu-ray doesn't mean others don't. After watching a movie on Blu-ray on a nice 52" HDTV (1080p), there's no going back after that. But you seem like the type of person that doesn't understand business sense what-so-ever so I doubt any of us telling you that you are wrong will change your mind. I'm sure Sony can go without your support. Hell, I don't even have a PS3 yet and I've already bought four games for it.

[quote name='antlp89']Funny thing is, the PS2 has a whole lot more (good and perhaps better) games than the PS3.

Why not expand the PS3's limited library and welcome the MASSIVE user base (PS2) that supported your company last generation?

But no, go ahead and continue to have the PS2 outsell it's big brother.

And you wonder why PS3 is in last place this generation?

-Price of Console
-Game Library
-Game Prices[/QUOTE]

The problem is that most people will buy those PS2 games at GameStop, used, meaning Sony gets no money. So what is in it for them? Selling PS2 games on PSN is the way to go for Sony to make money right now.

[quote name='Blackout']Which don't play or look any differently than the ones on 360. When are we going to see the Blu-Ray difference? Probably never.[/QUOTE]
MGS4 says hello, as time goes on you'll see more devs use the whole 50 gigs on PS3 exclusives. Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, even small games like jrpgs can include both japanese and english audio because they have the space.

RAGE is going to be on one disc , compared to the 360's 2.
Final Fantasy 13 will be on multiple discs on 360

Exactly.

[quote name='gcantu77']Fellow Cags,

As of 8/14/09, I found these systems marked down @ Fry's Electronics in Las Vegas.

If only backwards compatibility was fully integrated... Holding out until God of War 3, though, it's difficult with such temptations.[/QUOTE]

I just called the Fry's in LV and they said it was still $399, though? Huh.

[quote name='Hestar']ORrrr orrrrrrr maybe,just maybe,people didn't have that kind of money at the time to spend on the BC ps3's when they came out and by the time they did have the money it was like 700 to buy one or a 399 non bc one.

Paying 300 dollars extra for something that shouldn't of been takin out and the fact I got a ps2 no thanks not worth it.Think before you speak next time.[/QUOTE]

if you dont have the money for it and want it then you have some options. you can do like i did an save for it till i could buy it or you work extra somewhere and then when you have the money buy it. i agree 600 pluss was too much for a ps3 imo so i waited till the mgs4 bundle came out at 499 ( came with 2 games and a ds3 controller) and ive been happy since.

again its that weird sense of entitlement that sony has to put in ps2 bc in their systems. they did it and people didnt want to pay what they were asking for it so to make systems cheaper they got rid of that and the card readers and some usb slots and still people are complaining.

considering the ps3 has bc with both of its previous incarnations youre getting alot for your money if you had went and gotten one of the 3 or 4 diff bc versions of the ps3. i dont know how much bc you get with the 360 or wii but in the end if bc is that damn important go find a system that has it.

the systems now 300 and people are still whining about what it doesnt have and you can easily go get a system with everything in it but you dont want to pay the premium for it. with some folks you cant win for losing and nothing sony does will be enough.

[quote name='Microshock']RAGE is going to be on one disc , compared to the 360's 2.
Final Fantasy 13 will be on multiple discs on 360

Exactly.[/QUOTE]

This is a valid argument to those who groan at the idea of having to get up from their couch and switch discs once every, what, 7 hours?

Blu-Ray is a better storage format - no one disagrees with that. We just have yet to see a major difference between it and DVDs when it comes to videogame realism in my opinion.

bread's done
Back