SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

[quote name='gbpackers94']I don't think PS3 should have a price drop. It's a shame that a 360 with 20 GB is the same price as 80 GB PS3. The PS3 is obviously the superior hardware. It may not be the better experience but it at least the thing isn't a piece of ****.[/QUOTE]

Could you wipe your nose, it's got something brown on it. I mean, I know the 360 has a hell of a problem, but SO DID THE PS2(DRE, disc scratching, other problems) and people still bought the shit out of that atrociously flawed piece of hardware.

Personally, I think Sony NEEDS to drop the price and SOON. It was overpriced when it launched and it's STILL overpriced now. If not for having cheap credit in spades and having just sold a shitload of last gen games when I did for the price I did, I would've never bought my PS3 at all.

Four hundred to six hundred bucks is just too fuckin' much for a game console. Nintendo had the right idea this gen. Keep it simple, keep it cheap, sell like crazy. Hopefully, both MS and Sony paid attention and know that they don't need all the fancy bells and whistles next gen and to keep the price reasonable if they wanna make sales.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Right now(and apparently until next January)Target has an ACER LCD monitor that will work with the PS3. It has ports for VGA, HDMI and one other input method(which eludes me right now).

It's only $189, which is even cheap enough for me. However, it's only a 21" model, but that's more than enough for me.[/QUOTE]

Go to www.newegg.com and search under the monitors. You'll find something much better for that price =]

I just checked other news sites (mostly via Gametab) and it doesn't look like anyone else has picked this up yet. Being the internet, I'm surprised it hasn't spread like wildfire.

[quote name='johnnypark']I just checked other news sites (mostly via Gametab) and it doesn't look like anyone else has picked this up yet. Being the internet, I'm surprised it hasn't spread like wildfire.[/QUOTE]

Its the weekend, the bloggers are too lazy to pick it up. Once Monday rolls around this will blow up.

It is the weekend. Give it till tomorrow for Kotaku to get it then Monday for everyone else. That's what happened to the post about the new install sizes for the new NXE, at least.

I already have my PS3 (20GB model) but I do have a friend that's been waiting for a price drop before he gets it for his family. Once we have a solid date for this, I'm pretty sure he'd be happy about it and get it sooner than he originally planned. Thanks again, Oswald, for the post.

One thing I'm wondering about, and I apologize if this would be the wrong place to bring this up, would be the new price for the remaining 60GB Xbox 360 models. We already have pics showing the 120GB price drop and pics showing the new Arcade boxes that omit the Pro version. If/When the Elite drops to $300, Microsoft will want to price the Pro version to move out as quickly as possible and depending on the price given by either Microsoft or retailers, it could offset any sales boosts Sony would have with this current price drop.

I am sure there are many anti-Sony fanboys posting on here that don't care if the PS3 drops to $299, $199, or even $99. They will still continue to complain about something. I wish I could just reach out and smack them all at once with a broomstick for every dumb reason they give or for every lie they make. It's like watching a townhall for health care reform in a red state. At least the taint is a bit lighter here as opposed to trying to read non-deleted comments on N4G.

I do believe this story to be true, and I really had no idea FYE actually sold consoles. The FYE at my local mall has eliminated games altogether. I've read too many rumors and leaks about the PS3 slim to not believe that it will come out and a price drop is in the works to move older PS3 models, considering they already had tangible price drops for the 80GB to $380 and the 160GB to $450 at Newegg some time ago. I highly doubt the PS3 slim would be a gimped version of the original, considering the PS2 slim wasn't gimped and Sony has a reputation to keep up. They may be price-conscious, but not trying to look like the local Wal-Mart branded goods.

The inclusion of PS2 support for the PS3 was probably just a bad business decision early on that they have rectified since their PS2 platform is still very healthy and still selling like hotcakes. I don't think the original removal of the emotion engine chip and CPU was done for cost savings at all. The PS2 slim had been $129 for the longest time and now $99 for quite a while now, so anyone who really cares enough to play the great games of last generation would have already bought one or owned one by now. It's even cheaper than a DS or a PSP.

Good. I've been waiting for the PS3 to drop in price so as soon as this goes live i'll snag one. Hopefully we get more news on how many games the backwards compatibility will cover.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Could you wipe your nose, it's got something brown on it. I mean, I know the 360 has a hell of a problem, but SO DID THE PS2(DRE, disc scratching, other problems) and people still bought the shit out of that atrociously flawed piece of hardware.

Personally, I think Sony NEEDS to drop the price and SOON. It was overpriced when it launched and it's STILL overpriced now. If not for having cheap credit in spades and having just sold a shitload of last gen games when I did for the price I did, I would've never bought my PS3 at all.

Four hundred to six hundred bucks is just too fuckin' much for a game console. Nintendo had the right idea this gen. Keep it simple, keep it cheap, sell like crazy. Hopefully, both MS and Sony paid attention and know that they don't need all the fancy bells and whistles next gen and to keep the price reasonable if they wanna make sales.[/QUOTE]

Honestly i had a launch PS2 that was picked up day one w/ 0 problems that died about 2 years ago after heavy use. I've already gone thru one 360 console with RROD. So yeah, i can understand where he is coming from.

I'm just glad i paid retail for it and bought it from Costco as they have a lifetime warranty. They will continue to replace it for free if it ever breaks again.

[quote name='Brian9824'] Hopefully we get more news on how many games the backwards compatibility will cover.[/QUOTE]

When was the PS3 backwards compatibility confirmed?

My two local FYEs don't carry games anymore, so I guess if I want one(I'm still on the fence, the only exclusive out right now that I really want to play is Infamous) I'll have to wait for this to spread to other retailers.

The most I've ever paid for any new console is $200. I paid that for my original PS2, my original Xbox and my 360 Arcade, so I'm not about to start paying $300 for a phat PS3 when details on the new slim model will likely come out soon.

If it's important to you to own a console early in its lifecycle, you're welcome to pay $300+ for the privilege, but I've got a big enough backlog of last gen games to keep me occupied until this hardware generation's asking price reaches the $200 threshold.

I don't know about other retailers, but at Target we have a video playing on multiple screens in a continuous loop convincing people to buy Blu-Ray. Seeing as how the 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray, people are going to go for this new priced PS3 fast. And it occured to me that the whole idea of the PS2 slim could be to a) take up less room on top of your PS3 so b) Sony wouldn't need to add an app for BC. Maybe this PS3 slim is merely some rumor after all.

Speaking of BC, my copy of RE3 plays better on my PS1 than it does on my PS2. I was curious if the PS3 uses the same chip/hardware to play PS1 games as the PS2 or if it's new hardware all together.

C'mon Amazon follow FYE by the end of the month. I got that $75 off console coupon burning a hole in my pocket. My luck they will lower the price the first week of September. I know they don't price match after purchase any more but I will be fighting for it.

I saw the sign up with the new prices a few days ago (wednesday, I think) at the FYE in the Mall of America while I was in Minnesota. I didn't think anything of it, I haven't been keeping up with the prices since I've had one for a while.

[quote name='swissmr']I got my sealed uncharted 160bg bundle last december for $300 on craigslist! I'm suprised all the people "holding out" on here for the past 3 years that havent found their own deals till now. maybe i got lucky i only searched for a week for that deal...[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been looking forward to a price drop not so a new console can be purchased more easily, but so the used prices fall even more. If so many of the great games weren't multi-plat I probably would've bought a PS3 by now.

I suppose that's the key question right now - how much will the PS3 slim cost (assuming it is real)?

Should people still be waiting?

Aaaaaaand Cease and Desist letter(s) coming from FYE and/or Sony in 5...4...3...2...

Followed by bullshit threats from Sony and FYE legal departments, demands for Oswald9599 's identity, blah blah blah. Film at 11

Seems funny that they'd put the regular prices in the ad if it's an official drop. Those wouldn't be the regular prices anymore...

[quote name='silverwolf0']What is it with spy photos and blurry cell cam pictures? This doesn't even look covert.[/QUOTE]

Iphone+Shaking hand+limited time=blurry pic.

Man theres a celebration on NEOGAF after seeing this,

Sad part is this Confirms the SLIM will NOT be $299 because Sony can't do.

Old hardware $299
new hardware $299 its not good financial sense.

So the 80GB will be $299 soon, IF you can find one, stores are selling out fully because Sony stopped making them

[quote name='Master Ninja']Man theres a celebration on NEOGAF after seeing this,

Sad part is this Confirms the SLIM will NOT be $299 because Sony can't do.

Old hardware $299
new hardware $299 its not good financial sense.

So the 80GB will be $299 soon, IF you can find one, stores are selling out fully because Sony stopped making them[/QUOTE]

Im thinking the slim will be shown at gamescom and then it will all finally be out and over with.

I don't if I should get one at 299$ or wait and see what they say about BC or just get a 60GB off ebay or something.... choices. So many choices.

I find myself feeling a lot more MEH about this than I expected.

No PS2 Back Compat, no buy.

Fellow Cags,

As of 8/14/09, I found these systems marked down @ Fry's Electronics in Las Vegas.

If only backwards compatibility was fully integrated... Holding out until God of War 3, though, it's difficult with such temptations.

[quote name='jer7583']I find myself feeling a lot more MEH about this than I expected.

No PS2 Back Compat, no buy.[/QUOTE]

There's no fucking pleasing anybody
The PS3 should be 5 bucks and come with TWENTY GAMES AND like 5 controllers! OTHERWISE NO BUY!

[quote name='Microshock']There's no fucking pleasing anybody
The PS3 should be 5 bucks and come with TWENTY GAMES AND like 5 controllers! OTHERWISE NO BUY![/QUOTE]

We knew that stuff like this would happen. We are all cheap, but some people want to go that extra mile and force more people to have to close down to get you the price you want.

Like I said before, now we are finally on a competitive playing field for all three systems going into the holidays. This is good news for us all.

[quote name='jer7583']I find myself feeling a lot more MEH about this than I expected.

No PS2 Back Compat, no buy.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but...seriously, a used ps2 is like $60 on eBay.

[quote name='jer7583']I find myself feeling a lot more MEH about this than I expected.[/QUOTE]

Funny you say this, because you're bitching about Sony precisely like I expected.

Does this mean I know you better than you know you?

[quote name='tenma']I understand your point, but...seriously, a used ps2 is like $60 on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Radio Shack has new ps2's for 70.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Always knew the legitimate leak would be on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Almost every legitimate Price Drop leak is on CAG. Hopefully Sony doesn't try to do to Oswald what they did to Speedy.

[quote name='johnnyrocker360']that's a fake picture just admit it oswald[/QUOTE]

It's Real.

But I will admit that you are pretty annoying johnnyrocker.

[quote name='Microshock']There's no fucking pleasing anybody
The PS3 should be 5 bucks and come with TWENTY GAMES AND like 5 controllers! OTHERWISE NO BUY![/QUOTE]

its good to know im not the only one who gets annoyed with all the price/bc whining going on. i can undertand wanting to get a deal but fucking cmon people. its 299 now and youre still complaining. there have been and still are alot of great deals for getting a new console just do the damn work and find them. you knew and have know that they dont make systems with bc anymore so you either buy an older console or get a ps2.

people holding out for a slim if they even exist it will be more expensive than older ps3s again thats if it even exists. if youre going to buy one do it if its still too pricey at 299 then look for ways to make t cheaper from the deals sections but please for the love of God stop the damn whining already.

$300 is a pretty good price for the system. Sony would have been kicking ass and taking names if they released it at that price but I guess that would have been impossible. I really hope this isn't some clearing out stock price drop until the Slim comes out and then they jack up the price again.

I dont think its unreasonable at all for people to complain that it took nearly 3 years for the PS3 to reach the maximum acceptable launch price for home consoles. I'm not in the market for one so it doesnt personally matter to me what the price is, I'm just an observer here.

[quote name='Blackout']$300 is a pretty good price for the system. Sony would have been kicking ass and taking names if they released it at that price but I guess that would have been impossible. I really hope this isn't some clearing out stock price drop until the Slim comes out and then they jack up the price again.[/QUOTE]

Blackout

I am really worried about that as well. The biggest issue would be that this stock gets cleared out (NOTE: Most sites have stopped listing 80 gig ps3 consoles, FYE was the first one I noticed) and the slim DOES come out but at $349.99. That would be a huge slap in the face, yes it's a new model, but that constant price jumping would cause a major conflict within the retail and consumers minds.

These $100 'price drops' aren't actually price drops, they are sales by the retailers trying to clear out stock for a new model. Sony hasn't dropped the price on the PS3 from $399 yet. I'm expecting $349.99 (maybe with a game?)...it just makes financial sense for Sony. They can't continue to lose money on this thing and expect to stay afloat. I'm still hoping for $299, but I just don't see how they can do it...

bread's done
Back