Star Ocean IV - The Last Hope - Gen. Discussion & Info

Even though I know I'm going to buy it and it will become one of my favorite games, like the others in the series, I refuse to buy it until I get solid info on the Skill and Item Creation systems. And on principle, they should finish the official website already.

Either way, I started Eternal Sonata about 2 weeks ago and want to finish it before starting a new game. Hopefully, I'll have the info I want and maybe a price drop by then.

I beat the first boss thus far.

I'm not really digging the game.

The art direction and the characters are beyond hideous and the voice acting doesn't match the characters at all. It also has very corny dialog. The battle system is decent, but the camera is pretty bad.

The UI is a eye sore and I wish we would have got the Japanese style menus and character portraits. I think I'd like this game a lore more if it was cel shaded. The doll looking characters are seriously making it hard for me to enjoy this game.

I'm hoping it gets better, SO2 is one of my favorite games and I had high hopes for this one. I play it for a couple of more hours tomorrow and see if it catches me, but so far, I'm not sure if I'll make it past disc one.

I'll tell you now, but you're going to hate the next party member that you come across.

Anyways, have you tried using a fixed battle camera?

Also I actually like the menu over the japanese version. The colors were overly bright in theirs and that tends to get to my eyes. Whether you could change it or not like other SO games, I have no idea.

Game isn't quite as polished as Vesperia, that's for sure. However I'm still finding it better than most of the other crap we've gotten on the console. It's not really any worse than the comedic joke of Lost Odyssey which I know other will disagree with me on.

Ya, when I saw some of the trailers of this game of some catlike character reacting to a monster, watching the reactions and hearing the voice acting, right then I decided I would not be buying this game right away. It was just soooo bad and annoying. Really, the only 2 RPGs I've really liked so far are Tales and ME. Lost Odyssey was ok, but I also think it was really dull in some areas and disc 2 was plain crap. I don't know how people can even compare that game to Tales...

I agree that the emotionless, doll characters creep me out.

Also, the auto-targeting system is pretty bad. I can't tell you how many times I get hit because I can't change targets myself.

The camera can be a bit frustrating, but I think I'll adjust to it.

I like the UI, it's pretty and easy on the eyes.

So far, I feel Tales is better. We'll see if that changes later.

Finally wandered into the creation room, which has probably been available since after I left the first planet (I'm now leaving the second; Second boss was much more difficult than the first).

How it works is, you start up and have two options. The first is "Invent New Recipes" and the second is "Create Items". In the invent new recipes screen, you can put your aquired characters in up to four groups of three. Each have their own pluses and minuses on various types of creation (Smith, Cook, Alchemy, Artistry, Engineering, Crafting, Compounding, and Sense). Then once you've put together the desired group, you click 'start' which will have groups think up new recipes until they can't think of any more. Each rotation of the clock takes 1 Party SP. Recipes that are discovered are completely random and I don't know if it's possible to discover recipes you've already learned. However I do know that you can't discover recipes that are higher than the character's create skill. Since each character is unique, you don't have to worry about leveling up every single character in every type of item creation.

As for the second option, create it's split into the same categories as mentioned above with one exception. Instead of sense, there's synthesis and it doesn't say "Recipes #" next to it like the other seven do. Beyond that it's just about selecting the recipe you want to craft (Greyed out items you don't have the materials for) and it will be crafted. It doesn't look like there's a chance of failure either. As for the stats, rarity, and materials required for the items you crate, they are all listed in the toggle windows.

Ebgames are failures. Everyday this week they have said "tomorrow for sure". Today they claim it has been bumped back and they will (read: won't) call when it comes in. I'd go somewhere else but I've already put my money down on the pre-order. Never Again!

[quote name='will52']Ebgames are failures. Everyday this week they have said "tomorrow for sure". Today they claim it has been bumped back and they will (read: won't) call when it comes in. I'd go somewhere else but I've already put my money down on the pre-order. Never Again![/QUOTE]
Just get your money back then, its your money - they can't say no?

[quote name='Dijital']Just get your money back then, its your money - they can't say no?[/quote]

Yea, I'm going tomorrow to either get my game or my money.

Or, just get your money back when it actually comes, then when you go and pick it up, say you'd like to return it when they give it to you :D

The fourth destination in game... is... awesome. Well it's an awesome concept that's got me quite excited. Here's to hoping they pulled it off.

But why green hair..?!

[quote name='assasin4hire']The third character you get might be the most annoying party member i've ever seen. As well as having the creepist voice overs i've ever seen.[/quote]

I've read that her appearance and way of speaking is explained later.. I'm kind of curious as to what they come up with. I've already muted her battle voice, though :twoguns:

Creepy? In what way? Like...annoying, or no lip synching just volume coming from the character...or what? XD

[quote name='Spades22']Creepy? In what way? Like...annoying, or no lip synching just volume coming from the character...or what? XD[/quote]

Completely emotionless.. and the way she talks is somewhat annoying.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Does anyone have the guide? Is it good or is it subpar like the Tales one was?[/QUOTE]

The guide for this game is really good. Walkthrough have detailed maps, good tips/tricks, list all available sidequests/customization during story missions, good private action coverage, and detail monster drop list(good for item customization). I'm not sure how they handle the big sidequests near the end of game. I'm no where close to that area. It seems like you can get all the endings with one shot when I was browsing the last boss section.

For the most part it seems like the guide isn't really needed. The only difficult part of the game seems to be figuring out where quests start at. Oh and I guess knowing battle trophies beforehand would be nice too.

EDIT: AUUUUUUUUGH ANGEL CHICK VOICE IS THE DEVIL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got the game. It's pretty good so far. I'm 3 hours in and have downed the first boss.

My only complaint so far is the cameras. I think they may have wanted to sit down and play Tales of Vesperia when they were designing the cameras. But I'll get used to it I guess.

Some heals would be nice, but from what I've read that's coming.

Just got the game today. Looking forward to digging into it. I wanted to get the guide, but they were sold out. It sounds like this game is selling relatively well. That's good!

I am just past the first boss as well. Edge is level 9. The camera is about the biggest complaint I have as well, but otherwise the game is great.

I think I'm probably going to wait for the first good deal I see on this and then jump on it. Not a game I would mind paying full price for per say, but my backlog is so big it will probably be on sale for cheaper by the time I get to it.

Quick question: How familiar will I have to be with the first 3 in order to enjoy this? I own all of them, though it's been years since I played them (making my way - slowly - through the PSP remakes now). Is it a good idea to replay all of them again to refresh my memory, or does IV pretty much stand on its own?

[quote name='bvharris']Quick question: How familiar will I have to be with the first 3 in order to enjoy this? I own all of them, though it's been years since I played them (making my way - slowly - through the PSP remakes now). Is it a good idea to replay all of them again to refresh my memory, or does IV pretty much stand on its own?[/quote]

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is a prequel to all of them that starts shortly after Earth gains the ability of Warp. Although none of the games need to be played in any specific order anyways. So there really isn't anything specific to worry about.

EDIT: Synthesis is pretty useful, wow. And damn, I'm so close to obtaining all recipes on pretty much all the creation skills but a few I can't learn. I guess they must be found in the game as a recipe memo? (Example: I'm a level 10 alchemist and have 27 or the 28 possible recipes. I've also used all possible character combinations and still can't discover a new recipe for it)

Last edited by a moderator:
About 3 hours in. The game is lots of fun. I doubt i'll get many achievements but regardless i'm having a blast

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the dungeons in the game? They all feel so boring and uninspired. I like other aspects of the game though.

I'm about 10 hours in and I'm a little unsure about this game. I like it but I don't love it. So far I don't like any of the characters and the story is just okay. The fighting isn't as addictive as I thought it would be. Plus there's too much shit going on in battles, it's like the game tries to be complex for the sake of being complex. I'll continue to play but if things don't pick up it's going back to Gamefly. Then maybe in a year or two I buy it cheap when I have nothing else to play.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm about 10 hours in and I'm a little unsure about this game. I like it but I don't love it. So far I don't like any of the characters and the story is just okay. The fighting isn't as addictive as I thought it would be. Plus there's too much shit going on in battles, it's like the game tries to be complex for the sake of being complex. I'll continue to play but if things don't pick up it's going back to Gamefly. Then maybe in a year or two I buy it cheap when I have nothing else to play.[/quote]

I'm almost at 30hours, the Story is OK, but your right, some of the worst/retarded character I have ever seen, just really annoying and pointless dialogue, I really wish the little girl to shut up or die, is that wrong ?

One major issue i'm having with the game is that the boss fights aren't spaced apart far enough. Story wise they are, but battle wise they're not. I'm finding myself level grinding before almost every single boss because the dungeons are three, or maybe four floors long. At my current point in the game I just finished off Roak and decided instead of doing any side-quests i'll just advance the story a bit. About ten minutes later i'm in a boss fight again.

[quote name='assasin4hire']One major issue i'm having with the game is that the boss fights aren't spaced apart far enough. Story wise they are, but battle wise they're not. I'm finding myself level grinding before almost every single boss because the dungeons are three, or maybe four floors long. At my current point in the game I just finished off Roak and decided instead of doing any side-quests i'll just advance the story a bit. About ten minutes later i'm in a boss fight again.[/quote]

The only grind I did was at the very beginning of the game by attacking everything along the way and was level 13 at the first boss. After that I've only fought to get an enemy into the Monster Book or because they managed to attack me while I was going through the place for chests and what not. I didn't have any major problem with any bosses, but there aren't really that many bosses.

All the bosses have ??????? HP and give achievements for them. The rest are just suped up enemies that are more powerful due to different ability sets and their AI set to be more aggressive. I'd probably term them sub-bosses at best as they're nowhere near the same level as a boss except one fight in particular on disk 2. So if anything, I felt bosses were quite far apart and it's nice that each one required a different strategy to defeat without taking forever and a day. Since sub-bosses weren't very plentiful either, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about either with fighting them so often.

Do you just run through the dungeons without attacking any normal enemies or something then? I'm just curious how you've come to that conclusion as I felt the opposite.

[quote name='danked']I'm almost at 30hours, the Story is OK, but your right, some of the worst/retarded character I have ever seen, just really annoying and pointless dialogue, I really wish the little girl to shut up or die, is that wrong ?[/quote]

Well I guess you haven't met the featherfolk party member yet? I found her to be twice as annoying as the little girl. Granted I wanted to choke both just the same.

no I just got her, yeah her the cat and the kid, all really retarded, o yeah cant forget Welch, I just glad you don't have to listen to her all the time, but the last few time I try to create there is a dumb cut scene with her.

Love the gameplay, wish there was a "No Story" mode. :lol:

I love JRPGs but i can never understand what the characters have to be so lame. To use a bad example, this game would be amazing with the cast of Mass Effect. Hell I'd even settle for Castle crashers characters. Even Tales of Vesperia has annoying characters, but they are great compared to SO4.

Ah well, If it had story, characters and gameplay (which is amazing, cant get enough) that were all perfect, the game would be selling with Halo type numbers.

Still a great game either way.

[quote name='assasin4hire']One major issue i'm having with the game is that the boss fights aren't spaced apart far enough. Story wise they are, but battle wise they're not. I'm finding myself level grinding before almost every single boss because the dungeons are three, or maybe four floors long. At my current point in the game I just finished off Roak and decided instead of doing any side-quests i'll just advance the story a bit. About ten minutes later i'm in a boss fight again.[/quote]

Ive never had to grind, and I've plowed through every boss so far :(

I don't even plan on buying this anymore. Initally I was looking forward to it, but after watching some of the characters on some vids, and reading players' reactions towards them, I have no interest anymore. I just know I'll hate the game cause of the characters as for me the characters are really what makes an RPG enjoyable (Well...the story also can't be retarded like in symphonia and the battle system has to be decent). Tales was by far my favorite RPG. The characters were great and all decently developed, and none of them were annoying reallym and if they started leaning on the side of annoying, it turned into more of a funny, cheesy scene or something...

[quote name='Spades22']I don't even plan on buying this anymore. Initally I was looking forward to it, but after watching some of the characters on some vids, and reading players' reactions towards them, I have no interest anymore. I just know I'll hate the game cause of the characters as for me the characters are really what makes an RPG enjoyable (Well...the story also can't be retarded like in symphonia and the battle system has to be decent). Tales was by far my favorite RPG. The characters were great and all decently developed, and none of them were annoying reallym and if they started leaning on the side of annoying, it turned into more of a funny, cheesy scene or something...[/quote]

I'm the same way. I can't play a 50 hour RPG while not caring for any of the characters. I just don't understand the constant need to pack a game full of teenagers trying to act like adults. I guess since I'm getting older I just can't relate to these characters anymore.

I can't even get past the first disc of the game. I'm trying to like it, but can't get into it at all. The characters are boring and I don't feel attached. The story has potential, but they don't make it interesting. The graphics are good but not great, battle system is the only thing I can say is really good, the camera is crappy, and the dialog and sound is crappy.
I don't know if I'll even continue with it. I might play some of the other rpgs first. Not happy with this one..

I've played this game for a bit. All I have to say is that I'm truly loving it and definitely the best RPG on 360. The storyline is pretty good, characters rock, and the battle system is the most enjoyable in the series. I definitely recommend the game at $60. My only complaint is that the soundtrack just isn't as memorable as Star Ocean 3, but the battles are a lot better.

I feel anyone who likes RPGs should buy the game now.

I'd say rent it. With these mixed reviews, you won't know if you love it or hate it until you play through it a bit. No, it's not an awful game by any means, but it may or may not be an enjoyable experience for you.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I'd say rent it. With these mixed reviews, you won't know if you love it or hate it until you play through it a bit. No, it's not an awful game by any means, but it may or may not be an enjoyable experience for you.[/QUOTE]

I think this is how many people felt about SO 3. I know a friend of mine hated that game, but I really enjoyed it. I am liking SO4 now, but I think that I will hate the majority of the characters. A lot of their designs are just bad.

I don't hate it, I think I will like it if I put more into it. It's one of those RPGs you have to give or take.

There are certain aspects about this game that I enjoy but I wish I would have waited to pick it up for $30 or so because its not worth $60, imo.

Is the guide worth picking up for this game, typically i like to collect jrpg guides, but lately they have been crappy, so i wonder if i should bother.

I have only played the game for about 3 hours so far, but am really enjoying it. I just got the third party member and if I didnt have to work tomorrow I would still be playing it now.

I wish that SE would give us the option to have the Japanese audio track with subtitles. The VO is pretty decent for the english version except for Edge. His voice just does not fit.

Does anyone know if your quest completetion status carries over to a new game?
Surprised that there's no way to see what quests you have completed in the game.

bread's done
Back