Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The voice acting was an attempt to get non-MMO players into a MMO game. This freemium model that opens this fall might bring in those that are usual MMO players.

Either way, I just want details on what changes are going to be made in PvP.

[quote name='j-cart']The voice acting was an attempt to get non-MMO players into a MMO game. This freemium model that opens this fall might bring in those that are usual MMO players.

Either way, I just want details on what changes are going to be made in PvP.[/QUOTE]

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You'll have a limit on your matches per week if you're a free player.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You'll have a limit on your matches per week if you're a free player.[/QUOTE]
Now that's interesting. It could force people to do actual PvP in the world. Bah, who am I kidding: they'll quit or sub before getting ganked in world PvP.

As for endgame, if you're not paying, you're not playing. What a joke.

[quote name='Jodou']As for endgame, if you're not paying, you're not playing. What a joke.[/QUOTE]

Every other FTP game does that too. That shouldn't be surprising.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Every other FTP game does that too. That shouldn't be surprising.[/QUOTE]

There is no gated content in Star trek online. The only stuff that costs $ is storage space and additional costumes/ships/gear.

And none of that stuff is required to play. My understanding is that's how F2P MMOs work in Asia, and STO is owned by an asian MMO comnpany.

So what would I get if I purchased a retail copy of the game today? Would it be a waste? I can not find anything under the ftp page that answers this.

An example.

If you purchased lotro retail disks you got what came with it. IE MoM gave you the 2 extra classes and did not make you pay to unlock them.

The Old Republic, including new, more frequent content updates that Free-to-Play members will have to buy.

Why does this sound like f2p would have to pay for updates?

If you join The Old Republic now, you will start earning Cartel Coins for every month you are subscriber. In addition, in August we will be launching new content and plan to provide more frequent Game Updates going forward.
For more information on Cartel Coins and the rewards program visit:

Not a very exciting bonus.

The game continues to be available online via digital download. For $14.99 (available on August 7, 2012) you can purchase the Standard Edition, which includes the game download and 30 days of unrestricted game time. Purchasing the game now means you may earn monthly rewards in the form of Cartel Coins. Cartel Coins are a new virtual currency that may be used to buy gear, boosts, and specialty items from our Cartel Market.

I might just wait till August 7th. :)

[quote name='sundrop']So what would I get if I purchased a retail copy of the game today? Would it be a waste? I can not find anything under the ftp page that answers this.[/QUOTE]

30 "free" days of sub time. With the price of the game dropping to $15, this basically makes it the same as the sub cost anyway.

As detailed in this link http://www.swtor.com/free/features free players will be have some limitations. Subbing removes all of these, and gives you a monthly stipend of coins to use in the cash shop. Getting the game before the FTP launch gives you a bonus of 250 coins, and the monthly subscription gives you 200 coins a month until the FTP launch. (They haven't specified how many coins you get for your sub once the game goes FTP.)

That said, I have no idea what the actual cash equivalent of coins is when you just buy coins, so it's hard to gauge how good of a "deal" this is at this time.

Why does this sound like f2p would have to pay for updates?

LOTRO does it.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Do people get bonuses for referring new players?[/QUOTE]

You get a speeder. Cheap bastards don't even give you the 30 days free that WoW gives you.

[quote name='Jodou']Our guild pretty much confirmed our fears for the game: great single-player experience online. Granted it's a great game if you like the whole loreLoL, RP nonsense. And actually, one of our more weird members who does live streams of BW games just for the RP, HATED it after 3-4 hours. All that can be said really is it's fucking Star Wars, but hardly worth the cost EA has put into it. The game will not have staying power and after you 'beat' the game, people will likely return to old habits of waiting for the next MMO or going back to WoW.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd still rather play SWG in its current state than TOR but that's for the PvP aspect alone.[/QUOTE]
So this is what I predicted about a year ago and here we are present day with articles like this.
The problem Old Republic faced was that it’s ultimately a single-player RPG at its heart, and no one’s going to pay a subscription for a game after they’ve beaten it.
Maybe I should apply to be the next Michael Pachter?

At any rate, just a well-written article for anyone looking to check it out when it does go F2P. I suspect barely anyone will sub at that point except for the first month or so its out.

Played the trial and I must say I really am enjoying it, just purchased standard edition to keep playing, graphics are great and frame rate is excellent on max settings.

If anyone wants to "refer" me, I'll use your link to sign up. Send me a PM!

Edit: nobody responded, so I made one on my own!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrfossey']I've made the jump to the game...The Ebon Hawk.[/QUOTE]

I'm on that server. If you're looking for a friendly guild to join on the Republic, then PM sometime.

[quote name='pacifickarma']If anyone wants to "refer" me, I'll use your link to sign up. Send me a PM!

Edit: nobody responded, so I made one on my own![/QUOTE]

Damn, I should check this thread more often :cry:

Welcome to SWTOR! Which server are you on? I'm on Canderous Ordo and part of a family friendly guild that raids 4 nights a week without required attendance.

With the mega-server merges population has increased alot. Then on top of that 1.4 releasing a couple weeks ago boosted population on our server even more. For the past week we've had 5 instances of the Republic Fleet alone on Jedi Covenant.

The Bastion has been pretty stagnant. We use to have great set of teams running Ranked Warzone, but now it has kind of dwindled. Could be related to the fact that school and the such is back in session. Regular WZs pop all the time, though it has been filled with a lot of full max/min Warheroes. I have 5 pieces so I can hang with them. My random 14k life 900 expertise pugger usually can't :)

1.4 sure as hell didn't help for PvP. The resolve system was fine before, but now it is a complete CC/Stun fest. Of course if you are on the other end of the CC, then its all fun and games :D The buff in Smash spec has been hilarious as well. I've seen Guardians and Juggernauts criting for 6k+ and usually getting around 500 to 700k in damage per warzone.

I have however been going through some of the Story Mode Operations. Denova and Eternity Vault were pretty fucking awesome :D

Haven't been keeping up with the game or this thread, is this free to play already? Been thinking about giving it a spin again since I invested so much time into my SW Jugg but I refuse to resub.

No F2P yet. Besides the initial news that the game will be F2P this fall, EA/Bioware has announced nothing so far on how F2P will implemented.

This is all the details that have been released:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

The game certainly has been fun for me. PvP has been awesome and is a very team oriented game. Think along the lines of DotA in terms of having team composition and throw in a designated healers. The only difference is that this is an MMORPG, there is a gear grind. People so far have been QQing a lot because they can't handle the gear grind. That fortuantely is not my problem :D Learn to play, find some friends, and play. You aren't going to beat me and my team that I have been rolling with for the past 6 months :) We know how to play and communicate.

From the looks of it, not paying and having a level 50 character is going to be tough to actually get gear. Having limited access to Warzones/Flash Points and being locked out of Operations basically puts a block on endgame.

[quote name='j-cart']From the looks of it, not paying and having a level 50 character is going to be tough to actually get gear. Having limited access to Warzones/Flash Points and being locked out of Operations basically puts a block on endgame.[/QUOTE]
AKA not worth playing. They limit everything you can do at endgame, which is designed to get you paying again. Their idea of F2P is a joke, considering what GW2 offers or any other F2P game for that matter. However, for anyone who just wants to play KOTOR 3, then you can't beat free til 50. That's when the fun stops anyway.

There is certainly plenty to do at endgame now. Nothing remotely close to WoW status, but 8 HM Flash Points, 4 Operations (8 or 16 man depending on difficulty) and Ranked Warzones, those alone are content that the majority of players have yet to do. Learning the Operations for Story Mode (8 man) is a challenge, gearing and learning a 16 man Operation requires some awesome team communication.

I can understand people not wanting to gear grind. Just means that MMOs are not your game. At the same time, SWTOR end game content is VERY group oriented. Sure there is a group finder, but you really need to be on coms with the people you play with. Coms in Warzones are a must.

The level experience for SWTOR was still pretty damn awesome. I think I spoiled myself when I played the Agent story first, think evil 007 style story.

[quote name='j-cart']I can understand people not wanting to gear grind. Just means that MMOs are not your game. At the same time, SWTOR end game content is VERY group oriented. Sure there is a group finder, but you really need to be on coms with the people you play with. Coms in Warzones are a must.[/QUOTE]
What gear grind? The only gear grind was for PvP gear but that only takes a couple weeks. For PvE, you can walk in your first night and come out with full T2 pending drops. Unless they nerfed drops or made whatever they're on now harder to obtain, then gear progression is a joke. Nightmare mode isn't even that hard either; the only thing that was holding up many, many guilds on progression was the AWFUL bugs. It was so bad they were making Funcom look good.

[quote name='Jodou']What gear grind? The only gear grind was for PvP gear but that only takes a couple weeks. For PvE, you can walk in your first night and come out with full T2 pending drops. Unless they nerfed drops or made whatever they're on now harder to obtain, then gear progression is a joke. Nightmare mode isn't even that hard either; the only thing that was holding up many, many guilds on progression was the AWFUL bugs. It was so bad they were making Funcom look good.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider it a difficult gear grind MMO at all. Just saying that the large venting outcry on the SWTOR forums is mainly about the gear disparity.

As of right now there are three sets of PvP gear: Recruit MK-2 < Battlemaster < Warhero < Elite Warhero (only main and off hand currently available). If you do it right, you can gear yourself a Warhero piece if a player max out their commendations before hitting level 50. Then augmenting the rest of your BM pieces will give enough stats to stay competitive. Getting complete Warhero without doing Ranked Warzones is a bit of a grind. It will take a month or so to get all of the pieces, whereas if you can get on a team to run RWZ, it will take even less.

The PvE gear has gone through some drop restructuring thus making the process of getting gear actually a progression instead of the "hey let's cheese through SM for commendations." As of now the sets are as follows: Tionese < Columni < Rakata < (No set Bonus) Black Hole < (Set Bonus) Black Hole < Campaign < Dread Guard

I was playing, or rather stopped playing, when Rakata was still the highest tier of gear, I had about half my Jugg in Rakata gear and I had only run EV a handful of times and only killed the last boss once.

I think that was the big issue when I stopped playing, you can get gear like that without even clearing EV regardless of difficulty and the last boss usually prevented his own death via the bugs. This was back when Hybrid Immortal/Veng spec was viable for tanking due to the unstoppable talent proccing from force charging in, then using whatever defensive ability it was to jump to a friendly and guard them, then force charge back in. Basically having unstoppable up every time your charge and whatever the other ability was called was off cooldown.

I have no clue if that spec is even viable for tanking anymore, but it was when I was still playing. Kind of makes me want to play again cuz that's what made it fun to tank for me again but I must resist the urge to re-sub.

EV is the lowest tier Operation. So having Half Rakata gear was more than enough to complete the Operation. EV was still a pretty damn fun Operation. Have the teams split up to solve the north and south puzzles. Then the boss fight was basically a platformer mid way through was a cool mix up too :D

If you have a Jugg, go back and do some PvP with the Smash spec. Watch your DPS chart the tops at around 500k by only doing two things: Leap and AoE Smash. Shit is so crazy now that you average 5-6k in AoE damage and some have reported 8-9k on the min/max characters.

Hilarious when you have them on your team. Unbearable when you are going against them.

[quote name='j-cart']EV is the lowest tier Operation. So having Half Rakata gear was more than enough to complete the Operation. EV was still a pretty damn fun Operation. Have the teams split up to solve the north and south puzzles. Then the boss fight was basically a platformer mid way through was a cool mix up too :D

If you have a Jugg, go back and do some PvP with the Smash spec. Watch your DPS chart the tops at around 500k by only doing two things: Leap and AoE Smash. Shit is so crazy now that you average 5-6k in AoE damage and some have reported 8-9k on the min/max characters.

Hilarious when you have them on your team. Unbearable when you are going against them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the ways they decided to fuck with PVP are largely the reasons why don't play this much anymore.

The new Operation has me interested in trying out the PVE game in the future possibly. We'll see what FTP brings to the game and go from there.

Explosive Conflicts is freaking awesome. There is this minefield section that is just pure mayhem. Communication during that sequence is key to success. The end boss and his "mech" was pretty damn cool too.

I haven't had a chance to do Terror from Beyond because of my gear, but I plan to get there hopefully before the year ends.

With the 1.4 update, PvP certainly has changed and not for the better. However my enjoyment for PvP is still there. I have never played a more team based PvP game before (and I played a ton of DotA in my time). The experience and tension that I get from the 50 bracket PvP is second to none for me.

/edit:

Free to Play users will not have any access to Operations :cry:

I bought the CE edition some time back for $20 but never activated my card... I think im at level 5 or something really low. Is now a good time to activate my key so that i can get the month of sub and also be included in the special stuff before its goes F2P?

With school, work and borderlands 2 I haven't really played a lot...

[quote name='Nintendokid54']I bought the CE edition some time back for $20 but never activated my card... I think im at level 5 or something really low. Is now a good time to activate my key so that i can get the month of sub and also be included in the special stuff before its goes F2P?

With school, work and borderlands 2 I haven't really played a lot...[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain it's going FTP in November. The next patch on the PTR has the Cartel Market in it, and they mentioned November as a target release date a few months ago.

I wouldn't want to be too late to put in that CE code, since you get 1k coins for the store with it. I've been subbed since it came out, and have the CE, and I'm only getting 2.5k coins, so you're making out really well IMO.

This thread keeps popping up and disappearing. With the new F2P launch coming soon, I wanted to start a new thread with information on the front page about the game.

As for if you sub before it goes F2P, yes you should if you care enough about space bucks aka Cartel Coins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back