Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cancelled my sub a while ago after I hit 50 and being forced to go Veng to be a vialbe Jug tank and then clearing most of the normal end game and getting bored. I tried to bring myself back during the free week but I just couldn't do it. The armor still looks like shit, the supposed armor updates they are coming out with looks even worse and I didn't even feel like trying out Lost Island.

Yeah, once you break the cycle there's no going back. The game just doesn't have legs at 50 and they've already begun the grind cycles by artificially inflating content with rewards/titles. If I wanted that, I'd go back to WoW where at least they have combat logs and world PvP.

There's going to be a huge dropoff at the end of June/beginning of July for people (like me) that bought a 6 month subscription. I already cancelled and haven't touched my account in a couple months.

[quote name='tcrash247']There's going to be a huge dropoff at the end of June/beginning of July for people (like me) that bought a 6 month subscription. I already cancelled and haven't touched my account in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

Really? Is it not any good? I haven't actually tried it yet but I've been tempted to give it a go for a while but my wife warned me off on it since she knows about MMO's and their life destroying nature. Now I'm pretty glad I didn't do it right away, they'll probably lower prices within a year or 18 months.

EA previously stated that they only need 500k subscribers to keep the game running and 1 million to have a nice profit. They're still over that for now.

[quote name='Blaster man']Really? Is it not any good? I haven't actually tried it yet but I've been tempted to give it a go for a while but my wife warned me off on it since she knows about MMO's and their life destroying nature. Now I'm pretty glad I didn't do it right away, they'll probably lower prices within a year or 18 months.

EA previously stated that they only need 500k subscribers to keep the game running and 1 million to have a nice profit. They're still over that for now.[/QUOTE]

For me its not that it isn't good its that you are essentially paying a monthly fee for a single player experience with a few mmo additions. It doesn't seem to implement the multiplayer aspect of it in a very meaningful way.

[quote name='pROvIs']For me its not that it isn't good its that you are essentially paying a monthly fee for a single player experience with a few mmo additions. It doesn't seem to implement the multiplayer aspect of it in a very meaningful way.[/QUOTE]

Aren't there the gazzilion man end game raids like in WoW?

[quote name='Blaster man']Aren't there the gazzilion man end game raids like in WoW?[/QUOTE]

There are raids and I have not made it to end game so I can't really comment on that portion but I know the mid game ones I've had trouble finding people to do them with. My general understanding from other people though is that the end game content of SWTOR is its biggest failing.

[quote name='pROvIs']There are raids and I have not made it to end game so I can't really comment on that portion but I know the mid game ones I've had trouble finding people to do them with. My general understanding from other people though is that the end game content of SWTOR is its biggest failing.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a huge disappointment then. Do you have a 6 month subscription?

My problem is that's it's a WoW clone but doesn't do anything better than WoW other than story telling, but MMO's live and die by the end game. Plus, the end game in SWTOR was beaten within the first week of release, something that should never have happened. It's not the smoothest game either, there were a ton of bugs and glitches that plagued it while I was playing. Not to mention the only thing kept me going was my class story but at level 44 it got so stupid and boring that I had no reason to keep playing so I stopped. It's just not worth the investment, in my opinion.

[quote name='Blaster man']Looks like a rapid decline in user base. They lost 400,000 subscribers in the Jan-March months.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea...ars-takes-hit-2012-05-07?reflink=MW_news_stmp

"But “Star Wars: The Old Republic” showed signs of weakening. EA said active subscribers totaled 1.3 million at the end of the quarter — down 24% from the 1.7 million reported at the end of the December period, when the game first launched."[/QUOTE]
So where was that quote that they hadn't lost any subs, just less players during peak? What a bunch of fucking liars.

[quote name='Daniel Erickson']According to Erickson subs haven't dropped, but concurrent users at peak times have - this is something BioWare is doing "anything and everything" to sort out.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']Well that's a huge disappointment then. Do you have a 6 month subscription?[/QUOTE]

I have the initial 30 days, and I have redeemed a 60 day sub which expired last month. I have another 60 day sub I haven't redeemed yet. I've been waiting to get through Mass Effect 3 and after my Wedding coming up at the end of June to make it worth while for me again. I was going to sign up for a longer 6 month subscription but the savings isn't too much and you can find the cards discounted at retailers for a better price or at least on par.

I have played above 3-4 characters to LVL 10-15 and I have a Level 34ish Jedi Sage which is my main character. Again, the main character story is definitely worth experiencing but it is a bit long in the tooth at times. Its not that its a bad game, its just a huge time commitment and I don't have any friends playing it really. I think I would have preferred an offline KOTOR sequel.

[quote name='Jodou']So where was that quote that they hadn't lost any subs, just less players during peak? What a bunch of fucking liars.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen that quote but depending on exactly what they knew when they said it, how far into the year it was, etc, that may have been a crime to lead investors astray with information they know is bad (especially if management was selling shares during that time).

I'm not a lawyer but I do know it's not legal to lie to investors then sell your shares after the stock is pumped.

[quote name='Blaster man']I haven't seen that quote but depending on exactly what they knew when they said it, how far into the year it was, etc, that may have been a crime to lead investors astray with information they know is bad (especially if management was selling shares during that time).

I'm not a lawyer but I do know it's not legal to lie to investors then sell your shares after the stock is pumped.[/QUOTE]

Technically I have unsubscribed, but at the same time I am still an active user (since I have time left on my sub). Pretty sure this is what they mean by how it is worded.

Funny thing happened over this weekend. It was about 5am PST and my buddy and I (not in a sober state of mind) decided to see if we could get into a FP. Login, ask around and wait. My buddy then decides while we wait he will see what is happening on WoW. Guess what? He gets into a raid @ 5am in the morning in less than 5 minutes, while I am just sitting in an empty fleet.

Content is there, the means to get people to play the content isn't. I'll come back if they come out with some better means of getting groups. The game was fun, but there is no way for me to keep having that fun at the end.

[quote name='j-cart']Technically I have unsubscribed, but at the same time I am still an active user (since I have time left on my sub). Pretty sure this is what they mean by how it is worded.[/QUOTE]
Lie by omission is still a lie. Either way, they originally sold 2.1 million copies and retained 1.7 of that after the 30 day trial. At 1.3, they've lost nearly half their playerbase in the span of four months. If they stay the path, it will dip to just 900k by next quarter bringing them under the profit margin they'd like to sustain. Without the game having any staying power and their sluggish response to server transfers, I can't see anything else but this outcome.

Ho ho ho, boy do these guys have a foot in mouth disease.
Meanwhile, Bibeau said that retention for the game had been good among core MMORPG users and the subscribers loss were casual players.
Oh really? I can name 10 guilds on our server alone that have since left and are FAR from casual gamers. These guys are so out of touch with reality and vilifying the casual crowd as the deserters is hilarious. This game was built from the ground up with casual gamers in mind; so much so it makes me sick and ultimately why I left.

So I have to ask, if your target audience is casual players then why in the fuck do you readily dismiss them? You're clearly not targeting core gamers, like me, because if that were true I might have stayed.

Got it on day one, played so many hours from launch until beginning of March. Haven't touched it since.

They got so desperate I got a free month from whoever is in charge of SWTOR. (Subscription management, dunno if EA or BioW). Unsubcribing. Got tired of going to Ilum and doing the same shit every day. Making new characters didn't ad anything.

I was apart of Fist of the Empire on Veela, and I don't see many people anymore on Ventrillo. Oh well.

No true sandbox = limited appeal. I'd rather go back to Star Wars Galaxies than play anymore SWTOR.

wow...you guys are bashing it ...yes last time I played the free weekend it felt like a single player game....does it still feel that way?

[quote name='Calipso']No true sandbox = limited appeal. I'd rather go back to Star Wars Galaxies than play anymore SWTOR.[/QUOTE]You know what really fucking pisses me off? The fact they shut down SWG to make way for TOR. I mean, maybe the game wasn't profitable anymore but without a doubt it was the looming cloud of two SW MMO's competing that killed it. TOR is already reaching for an early grave and SWG was still kicking at older than WoW. I still talk to buddies about the game and go on for hours how amazing it was. It was truly the golden days of MMOs back then.
[quote name='ITDEFX']wow...you guys are bashing it ...yes last time I played the free weekend it felt like a single player game....does it still feel that way?[/QUOTE]
All the way to 50. My first character I soloed everything, mostly in part to the fact that I'm hardcore and was in empty zones for almost all five days it took me to level. It's very much KOTOR 3 that everyone wanted, but with weak storylines and co-op. If you tried leveling now, you'd more than likely find the same ghost towns I did back then. Everyone has either already quit or got to 50 and just run PvP/instances all day.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow...you guys are bashing it ...yes last time I played the free weekend it felt like a single player game....does it still feel that way?[/QUOTE]

It only felt like a MMO when I was running around Ilum with my guild looking for repubs. Most of my storyline I did myself.

[quote name='Jodou']You know what really fucking pisses me off? The fact they shut down SWG to make way for TOR. I mean, maybe the game wasn't profitable anymore but without a doubt it was the looming cloud of two SW MMO's competing that killed it. TOR is already reaching for an early grave and SWG was still kicking at older than WoW. I still talk to buddies about the game and go on for hours how amazing it was. It was truly the golden days of MMOs back then.

All the way to 50. My first character I soloed everything, mostly in part to the fact that I'm hardcore and was in empty zones for almost all five days it took me to level. It's very much KOTOR 3 that everyone wanted, but with weak storylines and co-op. If you tried leveling now, you'd more than likely find the same ghost towns I did back then. Everyone has either already quit or got to 50 and just run PvP/instances all day.[/QUOTE]

When I was talking about SWG, I was talking about Pre-CU. Mostly SWGEmu. However, even the last version of SWG was probably far superior than SWTOR. The game had a very limited life to it for me. You couldn't real do much in this game from a creation standpoint. The storyline I had was f'n awesome as a Sith Warrior. I had a lvl 50 Sith Juggernaut with full battlemaster gear. You have to ask yourself after even getting champion gear.....what now?

It's most likely my last MMORPG. I'm done with theme park MMO's and I can't stand the genre at all anymore.

God damn it .......MMO's are just not worth it these days.... I was so excited for ST Online and this game but now I am like meh. Guess I will save my money then.

Sadly have to agree with everything said in the last few posts, Wow Clone but doesn't do anything better than Wow, running around Ilum the whole time basically doing nothing, being charged MMO rates for a single player focused experience, etc etc.

The end game is pitiful in this game too, they went to heavy on the gear transactions what with the badges and all that garbage, the reason why I got so hooked into wow those many years ago because it took time to invest and you got rewarded (gear from raids and content downs) and not EVERYONE could do it. SWTOR rewards everyone for doing everything then lets them spend their reward tokens however they want it so you can clear all raids or someone can farm hard modes(which most aren't that hard) and get the same exact gear with badges. Don't get me started on how easy it is to carry people in content either or the itemization in general, it all was utter shit.

Hopefully GuildWars 2 lasts longer.....

[quote name='hustletron']
The end game is pitiful in this game too, they went to heavy on the gear transactions what with the badges and all that garbage, the reason why I got so hooked into wow those many years ago because it took time to invest and you got rewarded (gear from raids and content downs) and not EVERYONE could do it. SWTOR rewards everyone for doing everything then lets them spend their reward tokens however they want it so you can clear all raids or someone can farm hard modes(which most aren't that hard) and get the same exact gear with badges. Don't get me started on how easy it is to carry people in content either or the itemization in general, it all was utter shit.
[/QUOTE]

^^ This x10, my guild which finished 8/16 man nightmare KP/EV was bored to death and we basically waited till 1.2 and then we all decided it was not worth it. There is really no sense of accomplishment in SWTOR.

I'm hoping TSW last longer than SWTOR, in open beta now and looking good.. the game is not for people who like easy mode.

Anyone notice in the EA presentation they announced a higher level cap? Haha, they haven't even balanced the game properly for 50 and now they want to add the extra stress on their devs of a new plateau? Nevermind the fact they're barely six months out the gate. These guys are trying to move way too fast and it will come back to haunt them.

Hey guys! So I picked up the game for 20 the other day when was a deal of the day at best buy. I've read that it's going to be F2P up to level 15 in July. Here is my question.
Lets say I wait for the F2P to hit..play the game up to level 15..activate my subscription, level up as much as I can within 29 days then cancel my subscription. Will the game still be able to be F2P and allow me to keep my level 50 some character?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Hey guys! So I picked up the game for 20 the other day when was a deal of the day at best buy. I've read that it's going to be F2P up to level 15 in July. Here is my question.
Lets say I wait for the F2P to hit..play the game up to level 15..activate my subscription, level up as much as I can within 29 days then cancel my subscription. Will the game still be able to be F2P and allow me to keep my level 50 some character?[/QUOTE]

No it would not be F2P, it's only
F2P up to level 15.

[quote name='j-cart']What have I done? Resubbed because it's star wars! Hello The Bastion.[/QUOTE]

I'm still having a great time with it. Server transfers have also really boosted population.

I'm also really looking forward to the 1.3 Allies update going live today!

Not really. Still sub-based after level 15, so it's just an automated trial at this point; no more weekend invites.

Also, they've given us veterans a week of free play (ending 7/17) to try out their latest patch. I couldn't care less as I'm enthralled with Dragon's Dogma atm.

Still Free 2 Play for all. No money down and you can play around. That's good for enough for me...besides this is the first step to full on F2P :)

I loaded the game last night and began playing around with a human smuggler. The story stuff seems fun, but the combat is already feeling pretty tired.

It's also a shame that you can't chat with other players without subscribing.

[quote name='Swift900']I loaded the game last night and began playing around with a human smuggler. The story stuff seems fun, but the combat is already feeling pretty tired.
[/QUOTE]

That is because you have only about 4 or 5 skills. I have 4+1 (cover action bar) skill bars filled. The game offers a lot of depth to how you want to play your character when you start placing points into the skill tree.

Though story PvE combat is a bore sometimes, FP and Operations require more attention.

I think a game journalist could field a really interesting multi-article feature on SWTOR. In the right hands, an overview of the conception, development, release, and decline of this game would be interesting both in terms of MMORPGs (in context of gaming itself) and the value of IP/branding (in context of the industry). I'm still surprised at how this played out for EA/Bioware. It's been very interesting to follow (even though I haven't played a minute of the game).

In terms of WoW killer, yes it flopped in the numbers department. In terms of it still having an active community? People are still playing and enough of them are playing to prevent this game from becoming F2P.

Currently on The Bastion west coast PvP and the game is thriving. Current guild has 18-20 people to run ranked PvP with every night and PvE is a breeze to get groups with now. At launch the were issues, but as of 1.3 a lot of those have been addressed. Certainly not good for EA that they released the game without some key features, but PvP right now is certainly entertaining in the correct way.

MMORPGs are tough for most people to get into. For one, the learning curve and grind is there for a reason (money! okay a joke) but it is there to teach the player what it takes to keep up with the end game content.

Its value as a pvp experience or active (though not thriving) community is immaterial. I can't think of another example of an IP this big and that much development money and prestige being used on a game. They didn't set out to make an okay game that might struggle and eventually go F2P; they set out to establish a cash cow out of the gate. And they failed.

I don't know that their intent was "WoW killer," but they certainly recognized that there was an opportunity in all of those WoW monthly subscriptions. If the numbers released, this thread, and other resources are a decent measure, then they didn't retain those subs beyond a few months after release. The analogy I'd use (which may not be accurate) is that EA wanted to create a Pepsi to Activision's Coke. And again, they failed.

The story IMO isn't compelling because a reader might hate Bioware, or EA, or Star Wars, it's just interesting given the time taken, the resources used, the visibility of the project, the value of the IP, and the challenges faced. From start to finish, it's a good one.

The saddest part of this tale is it was the game that killed SWG simply because they didn't want two competing SW MMOs. I bet money that SWG would still be around right now if not for TOR and it's sad SWG was the better game, even after the NGE and eight years.

I never played SWG but everyone I talk to said it became pure crap near the end and they enjoy SWTOR much more. There were a few ideas they liked about SWG but on the whole enjoy SWTOR much more.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying SWTOR and with the server transfers the 12 main servers have been remaining well populated.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know I still haven't opened up my copy from the BB DOTD sale back in June. Should I just go ahead and return it?[/QUOTE]

I'd try to sell it. The $20 price you spent is less than it goes for right now, could prolly make $10 by selling it.

Unless you wanna play the game soon.

That will change fast when the market shifts in a month for GW2. The game will be reeling when pandas comes out, though.

I'm not happy about it but at least they're following LOTRO's FTP model. So I can still sub to the game if I choose to.

I'll wait for more details before I decide if I'm done with this game or not.

EDIT: Just looked at the FTP page http://www.swtor.com/free

I'm getting 2000 coins for their in game store right outta the bat because of my prior sub time and the CE. Gotta say that's a great way to retain goodwill among older players, I might keep my sub after all.

[quote name='Blade3D']It's going completely free to play this fall.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...old-republic-is-going-free-to-play-this-fall/[/QUOTE]
They must be in real dire straits then, moreso than even I thought. I thought for sure it would settle down into a 500k sub groove for a few years before finally shutting down or going fully F2P. I'm actually rather shocked, but the writing was on the wall after they kept losing players rapidly.

Good decision to extend the games life, but this just doesn't bode well with me as a subscriber. The whole point of being apart of an MMO is the fact that everyone is dropping the same money on the game. The better player is only based on time spent/rotation.

As long as the GTN doesn't include the use of real money, then I might be content with the game still. Though it would be fun to waste on some chumps come this fall.

[quote name='j-cart']Good decision to extend the games life, but this just doesn't bode well with me as a subscriber. The whole point of being apart of an MMO is the fact that everyone is dropping the same money on the game. The better player is only based on time spent/rotation.

As long as the GTN doesn't include the use of real money, then I might be content with the game still. Though it would be fun to waste on some chumps come this fall.[/QUOTE]

It looks like the stuff in the FTP store is gonna be convenience/cosmetic items. If the game becomes pay-to-win it will fail, and I'm pretty sure they aren't stupid enough to go in that direction.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It looks like the stuff in the FTP store is gonna be convenience/cosmetic items. If the game becomes pay-to-win it will fail, and I'm pretty sure they aren't stupid enough to go in that direction.[/QUOTE]
Hahahah, I don't know. They were stupid enough to sink $200 million on voice acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back