Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='The Crotch']Trust me, I'd be a happy motherfucker if the game really was single-player.

/pout[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']Even if there were a lot of people on you wouldn't see them thanks to their instancing. Though on your factions space station you'll see a lot more people as I believe instancing is a little bit different there than everywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Now this is what is worrying me.... I don't want to drop 40-50 dollars on a game then pay 15 bucks a month to play what feels like a single player game and not met new people and so on.

[quote name='Draekon']Even if there were a lot of people on you wouldn't see them thanks to their instancing. Though on your factions space station you'll see a lot more people as I believe instancing is a little bit different there than everywhere else.[/QUOTE]
Depending on the server, this simply isn't true. Yes there's lots of instancing but rarely is it used outside of class quests. On my server, every area was bustling throughout the three characters I leveled to 50. Either they rolled on a dead server or things are beginning to slow down since many subs expired this week. Server mergers should be a priority at this point, but they never developed the tools prior to launch (and due to the complexity of the legacy system, the game might die before they're able).

Here's a general census of PvP servers during prime time as of March 1st:
generalpvppop1.png

[quote name='Jodou']Depending on the server, this simply isn't true. Yes there's lots of instancing but rarely is it used outside of class quests. On my server, every area was bustling throughout the three characters I leveled to 50. Either they rolled on a dead server or things are beginning to slow down since many subs expired this week. Server mergers should be a priority at this point, but they never developed the tools prior to launch (and due to the complexity of the legacy system, the game might die before they're able).

Here's a general census of PvP servers during prime time as of March 1st:
generalpvppop1.png
[/QUOTE]

I think what you're thinking of is different than what I'm thinking of. While it's essentially the same thing, they're used in entirely different situations. I'm talking about load balancing instancing of zones that separates the population and causes you to see less than what's actually in the zone.

I still remember that time I was stuck on Illos 2 by myself... The joy of being told to "Get to X point to complete your daily, I'm waiting!" only to arrive and realize there's nothing happening and you're off in your own zone wide instance.

[quote name='Draekon']I think what you're thinking of is different than what I'm thinking of. While it's essentially the same thing, they're used in entirely different situations. I'm talking about load balancing instancing of zones that separates the population and causes you to see less than what's actually in the zone.

I still remember that time I was stuck on Illos 2 by myself... The joy of being told to "Get to X point to complete your daily, I'm waiting!" only to arrive and realize there's nothing happening and you're off in your own zone wide instance.[/QUOTE]
I haven't seen instances of world zones since the first month of release (except for Ilum but never more than two instances), and that's on The Fatman (#1 populated server). Even with the free weekend, it's highly unlikely the zones were that overloaded.

Well if they toned it down/removed it, then that's good. I couldn't say for certain because sometimes the planet wide whois wouldn't show which instance you were in. One patch you would see "Illos" on everybody and the next you would see "Illos 1" and "Illos 2".

I made the difficult decision to start from scratch on one of the more populated servers because I couldn't find anybody to raid with and my guild cancelled all future raids on Bondar Crystal. At most there were typically about 40-50 people on the fleet in the evenings. New server had 3 times that on just the starting planet and last night there were over 200 people on the fleet and another 170 on the planet I was questing. I hope that eventually I can migrate my lvl 50 GS and Sage over to merge with my new toon.

On the note of subs/server pop comparison, I tried WoW again over Spring Break and during peak hours I found a handful of servers with Standard load (none higher) but most were Light. I found 1 person in my starting area twice from levels 1-10 and one of them was the friend who urged me to try it again looking for me.

[quote name='woodcan']I made the difficult decision to start from scratch on one of the more populated servers because I couldn't find anybody to raid with and my guild cancelled all future raids on Bondar Crystal. At most there were typically about 40-50 people on the fleet in the evenings. New server had 3 times that on just the starting planet and last night there were over 200 people on the fleet and another 170 on the planet I was questing. I hope that eventually I can migrate my lvl 50 GS and Sage over to merge with my new toon.

On the note of subs/server pop comparison, I tried WoW again over Spring Break and during peak hours I found a handful of servers with Standard load (none higher) but most were Light. I found 1 person in my starting area twice from levels 1-10 and one of them was the friend who urged me to try it again looking for me.[/QUOTE]
Yours is a typical sob-story that is posted daily on the general forums. They overestimated the success of the game with roughly half the servers WoW currently has and ~1/10th the population. As for WoW, it's in a lull state until MoP which happens every expansion. Once you hit the ceiling, there's no reason to keep playing. TOR just happens to get there way too fast and the nerfs coming in 1.2 have already driven tons of people away.

They should have spent six years balancing and fine-tuning their MMO, not recording VO.

Free trial weekend for anyone who cares. You have to create a new account, but no CC is required and level cap is 15. Seems they're desperate to attract new customers given the string of free trial weekends.

Has anyone seen the numbers for March? That's a question, not a statement because they've been (unsurprisingly) quiet.

Seriously, Nadd's Sarcophagus (WC PvP) is barely hitting 40 people during peak hours in the fleet.

The game has things to like (ie. Star Wars stuff) but EA needs to back off and let Bioware/Mythic do their thing. 1.2 will not bring people back, lack of people= lack of PvP game, which means it takes even longer for me to get my BM gear. I don't want to wait 40 minutes just to play one game of warzone where everyone quits once they are down by a few points.

They are trying to give you a taste of their drug, the sad part is their drug only starts when you get off the first world. Then it fades away quickly after getting close to end game. For some it fades almost immediately.

I just want to play the story bits.

That's all.

I don't care that the stories aren't particularly mind-blowing. I don't care about the other assholes running around with pallette swaps of my companion. I don't care how absurdly repetitive the gameplay is. I don't even care about my character not closing to range when I tell him to hit thing with other thing even though that's stupid as fuck.

I just want to play the story bits.

[quote name='j-cart']Seriously, Nadd's Sarcophagus (WC PvP) is barely hitting 40 people during peak hours in the fleet.

The game has things to like (ie. Star Wars stuff) but EA needs to back off and let Bioware/Mythic do their thing. 1.2 will not bring people back, lack of people= lack of PvP game, which means it takes even longer for me to get my BM gear. I don't want to wait 40 minutes just to play one game of warzone where everyone quits once they are down by a few points.[/QUOTE]
Reports from PTR are that testing is failing miserably because there's not enough players copied or on at a time to queue for rated warzones as well. They get a ton of matches that end after 2 minutes because it's 6v3 or worse. I was also reading that due to low pops, rated games will match against normal queues lol. I can't even fathom how that makes sense since you'd never match arenas versus random BG's in WoW, or rather couldn't anyway.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think EA has any part in this failure? This has always been Bioware's game to fuck up and they're doing a wonderful job so far. I knew the writing was on the wall years ago when it kept sounding like a SP experience. That and they took a game with "Wars" in the title and created a themepark where you never kill the other player faction.

I mean, how fucking stupid can Bioware be?[quote name='The Crotch']I just want to play the story bits.[/QUOTE]
Lol, you could probably watch the entire class quests on youtube for that.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, you could probably watch the entire class quests on youtube for that.[/QUOTE]
I don't want a Let's Play. I want to play the game. I'm counting on them going properly free-to-play at some point. Maybe by the time I get back to civilization in the fall.

[quote name='Jodou']
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think EA has any part in this failure? This has always been Bioware's game to fuck up and they're doing a wonderful job so far. I knew the writing was on the wall years ago when it kept sounding like a SP experience. That and they took a game with "Wars" in the title and created a themepark where you never kill the other player faction.

I mean, how fucking stupid can Bioware be?
[/QUOTE]

EA's notorious game release time tables.

This game should have not been released back in December. Legacy, rated warzones, guild banks and the such should have been shipped at launched. Rated warzones would give PvP people a reason to keep playing at end game (which would totally mean more people queued up for WZs at end game). As of right now I totally understand the meaning behind "there is nothing to do at end game."

[quote name='j-cart']EA's notorious game release time tables.

This game should have not been released back in December. Legacy, rated warzones, guild banks and the such should have been shipped at launched. Rated warzones would give PvP people a reason to keep playing at end game (which would totally mean more people queued up for WZs at end game). As of right now I totally understand the meaning behind "there is nothing to do at end game."[/QUOTE]
They had six years to develop this; I'd blame mismanagement of resources on Bioware honestly. The legacy system is useless fluff and adds nothing to endgame but emotes, skins, and signature moves from other classes (which I feel is a huge mistake). Rated warzones would not have kept me interested, as our PK guild enjoys world PvP over battlegrounds any day (we used to make people trading in Ilum rage so hard when we killed all the Reps, it was amazing).

No, I think it's more the lack of respect they have for the elder gamers who know what works best. I mean, no combat log? Zero UI customization? There's a laundry list of glaring faults that players told them about and were ignored. For as much as they copied WoW, they sure got a lot wrong.

[quote name='Jodou']They had six years to develop this; I'd blame mismanagement of resources on Bioware honestly. The legacy system is useless fluff and adds nothing to endgame but emotes, skins, and signature moves from other classes (which I feel is a huge mistake). Rated warzones would not have kept me interested, as our PK guild enjoys world PvP over battlegrounds any day (we used to make people trading in Ilum rage so hard when we killed all the Reps, it was amazing).

No, I think it's more the lack of respect they have for the elder gamers who know what works best. I mean, no combat log? Zero UI customization? There's a laundry list of glaring faults that players told them about and were ignored. For as much as they copied WoW, they sure got a lot wrong.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the game being bare bones for a MMO. I had fun with the story, but I want to kill other players :D

[quote name='j-cart']I agree with the game being bare bones for a MMO. I had fun with the story, but I want to kill other players :D[/QUOTE]
The one saving grace for us was huttball being same faction almost 24/7. We love FFA games where we can kill whoever we want and then shit talk them in gen chat. We were undefeated vs pugs or premades so we got a lot of hate in Imp fleet lol.

[quote name='Jodou']The one saving grace for us was huttball being same faction almost 24/7. We love FFA games where we can kill whoever we want and then shit talk them in gen chat. We were undefeated vs pugs or premades so we got a lot of hate in Imp fleet lol.[/QUOTE]

If all you want to do is FFA, why don't you guys just go to the Outlaw's Den? Why ruin WZ's?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']If all you want to do is FFA, why don't you guys just go to the Outlaw's Den? Why ruin WZ's?[/QUOTE]
You could spend hours there and never see anyone. Without cross faction communication or server forums, it's pretty hard to set anything up as well. Trust me, we'd always go out there and then just hit the Rep town northeast of there for a few hours but 50's would never come. Ilum was the only viable option where we knew we could find a fight 24/7 but that zone was so fucking lame after they put up invisible walls of death at their base. Here's how we Regulators roll, with three other 10+ years elder PvP guilds: Sinister, Valor, and Havok.

[quote name='Jodou']You could spend hours there and never see anyone. Without cross faction communication or server forums, it's pretty hard to set anything up as well. Trust me, we'd always go out there and then just hit the Rep town northeast of there for a few hours but 50's would never come. Ilum was the only viable option where we knew we could find a fight 24/7 but that zone was so fucking lame after they put up invisible walls of death at their base. Here's how we Regulators roll, with three other 10+ years elder PvP guilds: Sinister, Valor, and Havok.[/QUOTE]

Outlaw's Den has same faction PVP combat, you wouldn't need cross faction communication.

Although, if you're idea of fun PVP is spawn camping people, I don't really know what to say to that.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Outlaw's Den has same faction PVP combat, you wouldn't need cross faction communication.[/QUOTE]
The one and only time the server tried organizing a tournament (which we were planning on crashing, hehe) nobody showed up except us lol.

1.2 better drop soon, my subscription goes up in 8 days and I will only re-sub if I get a chance to play it first.

Either way D3 is only a month away!

[quote name='j-cart']1.2 better drop soon, my subscription goes up in 8 days and I will only re-sub if I get a chance to play it first.

Either way D3 is only a month away![/QUOTE]
It's coming tomorrow actually. I'm actually eager to see how the patch is received. I can imagine this is a huge turning point for the game and the impact will be big. I'd really like to see their sub numbers because I have a feeling there was a sharp dropoff they don't want us to know about lol.

Epic fucking LOL! 1.2 is out today sans ranked warzones, easily the highlight of what subscribers were looking forward to. They kept this so quiet that only once the patch was out did they say, "Oh, by the way. . ."

Not only that, but the change designed to prevent matches ending after 2 minutes because of imbalanced games went live and has people raging HARD on the forums. To illustrate: imagine you enter a game with 5v8 and everyone leaves on the 5 player side. Now previously, the game would end after two minutes because there's obviously no challenge in killing 1-2 players. With 1.2, you're stuck in the game if you want credit or medals only you can't get any medals if there's nobody to kill. So eventually, everyone will leave because nobody wants to sit for 15 minutes and get no credit except a warzone win for the daily.

When GW2, Tera, and Diablo III are out, this game is done.

I enjoy this thread entirely because of Jodou's beatdowns.

Not that the game doesn't deserve it, but goddammit Jodou's gone to town on it. Good stuff. Give 'em hell!

[quote name='Jodou']When GW2, Tera, and Diablo III are out, this game is done.[/QUOTE]

So is Tera actually worthy of investing time? I believe I have two beta keys for it but haven't been bothering to actually create a beta account.

[quote name='Draekon']So is Tera actually worthy of investing time? I believe I have two beta keys for it but haven't been bothering to actually create a beta account.[/QUOTE]
I personally have no interest in it, but it appears to be a hit with the PvP crowd. I just threw the name in the hat because I'm sure it will poach at least a few gamers from TORtanic.

Apparently guild banks were erased with the new patch as well? People lost millions in credits and items and mats without any warning. lol Not sure if this is intentional or not. I don't really follow TOR just saw some stuff on reddit about this.

[quote name='Bioware']A SPECIAL GIFT FOR OUR LEVEL 50 PLAYERS – 30 DAYS OF PLAY TIME ON US!

As a thanks for being one of our most valued players, every active account with a Level 50 character as of April 12th, 2012 at 12:00PM CDT / 5:00PM GMT, will receive thirty (30) days of game time** in appreciation for your support and loyalty.[/quote]
Holy shit, I smell desperation. They obviously anticipated a mass exodus with the announcement of no rated warzones and myriad of nerfs. This is the most dire move I've ever seen to retain subs in the history of MMOs, and I'm not even being sensational. Additionally, we all get a free week to check out 1.2 starting today and if you re-up before the end of the trial, you get the taun-taun pet all active subs already got.

Nothing else to say really. Forums are good for laughs and all rage posts. I almost feel sorry for BW. Almost.
[quote name='TLPRIME']Apparently guild banks were erased with the new patch as well? People lost millions in credits and items and mats without any warning. lol Not sure if this is intentional or not. I don't really follow TOR just saw some stuff on reddit about this.[/QUOTE]LMAO, if true then the forums are going to have a field day with this one. It's like BW backed up the TORtanic and then rammed into the iceberg a second time. You just can't make this stuff up lol.

EDIT: OMFG! I'm literally in shock and can't stop laughing. Apparently the new patch (from today) either broke or rolled back a ton of 1.2 features. I can't even begin to imagine what went wrong because people are reporting they can't even log in since the Black Hole (IRONY!) daily quest area is just GONE. I'm just, totally speechless.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck this game. The code is so badly written that every time I play this shit it sends my gpus into nuclear meltdown. Even with v-sync on my computer still resets. I can play skyrim and crysis 2 with all hd texture packs, but this game is the one to send my cards over? Ima try to play on my laptop because I was enjoying the atmosphere, but who the fuck did bioware hire to do the code wrangling for this game?

[quote name='Jodou']Holy shit, I smell desperation. They obviously anticipated a mass exodus with the announcement of no rated warzones and myriad of nerfs. This is the most dire move I've ever seen to retain subs in the history of MMOs, and I'm not even being sensational. Additionally, we all get a free week to check out 1.2 starting today and if you re-up before the end of the trial, you get the taun-taun pet all active subs already got.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's the second most dire. The most dire was Final Fantasy XIV. Not much can top that.

Damn, I'd beg around to borrow someone's account and try to grind out a bunch of single-player content in those thirty free days if I wasn't off for the swamps of northern Alberta so soon.

[quote name='Draekon']Nah, it's the second most dire. The most dire was Final Fantasy XIV. Not much can top that.[/QUOTE]
Mmm, true they did let players keep playing for what, half a year? They never started the billing cycle though, so it was really just F2P during that time. Tough call, I forgot about that though.

[quote name='Jodou']I personally have no interest in it, but it appears to be a hit with the PvP crowd. I just threw the name in the hat because I'm sure it will poach at least a few gamers from TORtanic.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that PvPers aren't happy with Tera, with smaller characters getting an advantage in PvP due to smaller hitboxes with no penalty to their melee range. Also the obvious problems of lag, and the fact that the developers think PvP is an afterthought, with them not launching with battlegrounds.

As for SWTOR, I still can't believe they only gave the 30 days free game time to people with level 50 characters. I wouldn't have one if not for my friend who pressured me to powerlevel one guy to 50 so I could be in his damn raid group, only to quit 2 days after I did it because everybody basically said "We're waiting for GW2 now". Bioware basically just said "fuck you alt-o-holics, we don't care about you because you don't hate the game yet, as you haven't reached endgame."

I feel forced to buy GW2 because all my friends are, but I'm sick of goddamn fantasy MMO's. I don't understand how that setting is more appealing than sci-fi.

[quote name='Jodou']Mmm, true they did let players keep playing for what, half a year? They never started the billing cycle though, so it was really just F2P during that time. Tough call, I forgot about that though.[/QUOTE]

More like a year and a half. They only started charging people again for FFXIV 2-3 months ago.

I believe they have now also changed the requirements to get the free month, you just need to be legacy level 6. Which can involve a number of different ways.

[quote name='Thongsy']More like a year and a half. They only started charging people again for FFXIV 2-3 months ago.

I believe they have now also changed the requirements to get the free month, you just need to be legacy level 6. Which can involve a number of different ways.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, they did update it. FYI:[quote name='BioWare']OR have an active subscription with a Legacy Level 6 account by April 22, 2012, 12:00PM CDT, 5:00PM GMT.[/quote]
So if you re-up by the 22nd, you get a free month. Basically $7.50 a month for those interested.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh wow, they did update it. FYI:
So if you re-up by the 22nd, you get a free month. Basically $7.50 a month for those interested.[/QUOTE]

Not everybody has Legacy Level 6 either. You need something like 2 level 45's, or 4 level 33's or something like that.

Still, it's a step in the right direction.

And I really, really hate the PVP changes to SWTOR, now that I've played a bit post-patch. My sub lasts until August with the free 30 days, but the way things are looking now, I'm not resubbing.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Not everybody has Legacy Level 6 either. You need something like 2 level 45's, or 4 level 33's or something like that.

Still, it's a step in the right direction.

And I really, really hate the PVP changes to SWTOR, now that I've played a bit post-patch. My sub lasts until August with the free 30 days, but the way things are looking now, I'm not resubbing.[/QUOTE]
Really? I was LL 27 after just three 50s so I didn't think it took that much to get there. Lots of PvP though, so I suppose that's why.

[quote name='Jodou']Really? I was LL 27 after just three 50s so I didn't think it took that much to get there. Lots of PvP though, so I suppose that's why.[/QUOTE]

From the SWTOR website:

First, you need to have passed Chapter 1 to unlock your legacy. Examples of how to get to Legacy Level 6 include:
A pair of characters Level 45 and 42
A trio of characters of Levels 45, 32 and 32
A bunch of characters Levels 35, 33, 31, 29 and 20

So, it's probably easier to simply get a single character to level 50 if you have any of those higher level characters.

Legacy level is so easy to attain its a freaking joke to say that not everyone has LL 6.. I had LL 14 with one Lvl 50 and a couple of alts < 25, sitting now at LL 30 with 2 Lvl 50s and 1 L42 and will not renew my sub. Game is a joke, no sense of accomplishment at all.. they just made a super casual easy game, EASIER.. still worth playing for the story and all.

FYI, today they have a special event going on Tatooine (who knows for how long). There are a number of new codex entries related to it, a social outbreak infection, new tokens (rakghoul dna) for special crystal and pet purchase, new armor set related to quests, and a bonus series to get a free pet.

[quote name='woodcan']FYI, today they have a special event going on Tatooine (who knows for how long). There are a number of new codex entries related to it, a social outbreak infection, new tokens (rakghoul dna) for special crystal and pet purchase, new armor set related to quests, and a bonus series to get a free pet.[/QUOTE]
Was trying to PvP last night and everyone kept giving me AIDS so I'd eventually die, right in the middle of a game. Clueless devs mixing their RPLoL in my PvP. Second time it happened, I logged off and played Batman.

Who would sub for this shit?

As I've said, I dig your rage, Jodou, keep on keepin on, but on the subject of world events and PvP, aren't you forgetting that your PvP is part of a larger MMORPG?

The complaint seems petty given the other problems the game is facing. Even with the world event's unintended side effects (i.e. tripping up PvP), and even if world events might seem desperate in context, I don't see how they're an overall negative that will turn away potential subs.

[quote name='dothog']The complaint seems petty given the other problems the game is facing.[/QUOTE]
I blew up while carrying the ball in huttball; that's a pretty big issue. And it wasn't from holding it too long, it was because the disease is designed to kill you and spread it to others.

They can keep retarded PvE events out of my PvP but you're right it's petty considering I'm probably not even going to play for the rest of my free week.

The RP sickness is hilarious, there is just a group of people at my fleet just standing together to get others infected.

[quote name='j-cart']The RP sickness is hilarious, there is just a group of people at my fleet just standing together to get others infected.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they're farming the DNA you get for dying. I guess when you reach the end of your rope in that game, there's nothing better to do.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, they're farming the DNA you get for dying. I guess when you reach the end of your rope in that game, there's nothing better to do.[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps people want the sweet color crystal and pet you can buy with those things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back