Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I need your advice
I got the CE but I'm thinking of selling it.
Should I sell it piece by piece or sell the whole thing entirely?

[quote name='korn4004']Guys, I need your advice
I got the CE but I'm thinking of selling it.
Should I sell it piece by piece or sell the whole thing entirely?[/QUOTE]

entire thing

So, can anybody tell me anything in regards to the physical disc not installing on my PC? I know that it isn't the drive, as the soundtrack played fine, so what else could it be? I just updated Java to 30, but that didn't do the trick. I turned off all of my firewalls/antivirus and that didn't do it either. I have an Asus G74, so it isn't the computer. What could be going on?

[quote name='lmz00']Sell it to me. :)

And can't you just download it?[/QUOTE]

I am selling! PM me and let's work something out! It's open, but everything is just as it came to me!

i'm hooked, up to level 18 and will play later this weekend.

right now i have 22 of the collector's editions pre ordered, mostly from different best buy and gamestop b&m stores, also snagged one from amazon. if i had been thinking i would have got at least a hundred, I will sell most of them now, keep a couple of them sealed, sell one of the sealed copies in 6 months, and then the other in a year or 2.

[quote name='dracula']i'm hooked, up to level 18 and will play later this weekend.

right now i have 22 of the collector's editions pre ordered, mostly from different best buy and gamestop b&m stores, also snagged one from amazon. if i had been thinking i would have got at least a hundred, I will sell most of them now, keep a couple of them sealed, sell one of the sealed copies in 6 months, and then the other in a year or 2.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you are joking...

[quote name='dracula']i'm hooked, up to level 18 and will play later this weekend.

right now i have 22 of the collector's editions pre ordered, mostly from different best buy and gamestop b&m stores, also snagged one from amazon. if i had been thinking i would have got at least a hundred, I will sell most of them now, keep a couple of them sealed, sell one of the sealed copies in 6 months, and then the other in a year or 2.[/QUOTE]
Can't tell if trolling or just stupid.

I got my collectors edition from Amazon yesterday. The statue has a piece broken off and it's missing the light saber piece. Amazon only offered me $15 as they don't have any to replace it. :(

[quote name='Superstar']I got my collectors edition from Amazon yesterday. The statue has a piece broken off and it's missing the light saber piece. Amazon only offered me $15 as they don't have any to replace it. :([/QUOTE]

You sure it's missing the lightsaber? The blade is seperate, it's wrapped up and looks somewhat like a piece of packaging plastic. Double check for that part.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You sure it's missing the lightsaber? The blade is seperate, it's wrapped up and looks somewhat like a piece of packaging plastic. Double check for that part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it was missing to, and just barely found it. Stupid packaging.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You sure it's missing the lightsaber? The blade is seperate, it's wrapped up and looks somewhat like a piece of packaging plastic. Double check for that part.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I looked at the package after I google'd it and it wasn't there. Thanks though!

Am I the only person waiting to play the live version of this? I beta tested this game (before the pre-order people could do the weekends) and I can only imagine that all the game's servers would be totally bogged down with a massive influx of players once it went live. I'll probably revisit it in a few months when the server queues are gone.

What I did play, I totally enjoyed. Well, except for the crappy character creator. Seriously, its STAR WARS, I want to play an ALIEN, not a freaking blue/red/normal skinned human with horns, an antenna sticking out of their head, or a blind human. Where are the Wookies? Trandoshans? Mon Calimari? In this respect, I think SWtOR is worse than the now dead Star Wars Galaxies. (Plus I imagine the voice over cutscenes with a Wookie player would have been hilarious. No real words, just "aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooogaaaaaaaaaaaaarrr").

I ended up just making a blind human (Miraluka) female with most fucked up make up possible. Because I imagine if a blind person were to apply cosmetics, it would look all messed up.

I was thinking that myself in the beta. Human, human with metal eyepatch, blind human, blue human, other blue human, red human, and human with horns? But now I think I know what's going on. You have to wait for The Old Republic: Heart of the Swarm for wookiees.

Bothans and Gamoreans will be in Legacy of the Void.

They probably didn't want to deal with the armor issues that aliens with non-humanoid, or less humanoid, body structures would cause (As well as the language issue that you mentioned). Looking at the official forums now, people are complaining because twileks don't have hoods on certain chest armors that normally have them.

I don't really agree with it, because I'd love to roll a Mon Cal, but I see why Bioware did what they did.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, they could go the KotOR route and just not let wookiees wear any armour.

Worked there.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't make a wookiee character in KOTOR.

You do get them as companions, as you do in this game.

[quote name='Blade3D']Anyone know a place I might be able to grab a copy of the collectors edition?[/QUOTE]

I'm selling mine. Haven't posted it at Ebay yet. PM me if you are interested

The beta had perfect FPS, and 2 days ago it was fine...but there are RANDOM times when the FPS is unplayable even at 4am....heard to turn off the shadows but it was still unplayable.

Checking now if it turned out to be any better....waiting on que -_-

Man, when everyone logs in on Tuesday, it's going to be a madhouse. Last night at 10 PM, I waited at the queue for 30 minutes. Then it kicked me out with the 1003 error. I gave up logging on after that.

Hey guys,

I have a complete noob questions. To even call myself a beginner with PC gaming would be an exaggeration. Outside Plants vs Zombies I have really no PC gaming experience since running DOOM via DOS on my windows 3.1 computer.

I picked up the Old Republic CE as I thought I'd finally get back into it but it just won't be practical as I don't have the time to commit to the game. I thought I'd have time to cancel the CE but amazon shipped them earlier so I decided to list it on eBay.

I sold mine to a buyer in Australia for a good amount of money ~ $240. He messaged me and requested that I open it prior to shippping and:

before you go and ship it whether you could find the activation, game time and collector edition content codes in the box and email them to me so I can use them for the early access while I wait for the package to arrive.

Does his request make sense? Could he play the game early using those codes? Again I have no PC gaming background so I don't know if he would be able to run the game while the rest of the items were in transit using these codes or if this is a scam attempt.

I just don't want to have him open a SNAD claim once he receives the package because it was "open".

[quote name='GBAstar']Hey guys,

I have a complete noob questions. To even call myself a beginner with PC gaming would be an exaggeration. Outside Plants vs Zombies I have really no PC gaming experience since running DOOM via DOS on my windows 3.1 computer.

I picked up the Old Republic CE as I thought I'd finally get back into it but it just won't be practical as I don't have the time to commit to the game. I thought I'd have time to cancel the CE but amazon shipped them earlier so I decided to list it on eBay.

I sold mine to a buyer in Australia for a good amount of money ~ $240. He messaged me and requested that I open it prior to shippping and:

before you go and ship it whether you could find the activation, game time and collector edition content codes in the box and email them to me so I can use them for the early access while I wait for the package to arrive.

Does his request make sense? Could he play the game early using those codes? Again I have no PC gaming background so I don't know if he would be able to run the game while the rest of the items were in transit using these codes or if this is a scam attempt.

I just don't want to have him open a SNAD claim once he receives the package because it was "open".[/QUOTE]

He needs the early access preorder code, so if you have the valid one, send him that. That is all he needs to play early. DO NOT OPEN IT!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']He needs the early access preorder code, so if you have the valid one, send him that. That is all he needs to play early. DO NOT OPEN IT![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response. Is the game disc-based?

Also, are preorder early access codes unique to one particular game? I ordered two, got two codes, and caught one of the CE's early enough to cancel before it shipped but I'm not sure which code belongs to which CE.

[quote name='GBAstar']Thanks for your response. Is the game disc-based?

Also, are preorder early access codes unique to one particular game? I ordered two, got two codes, and caught one of the CE's early enough to cancel before it shipped but I'm not sure which code belongs to which CE.[/QUOTE]

Early access is download-based, but once it launches, it will be disc-based. The codes are specific to each game, so you'll have to find which one is which. Or send both, as the one is cancelled, anyway.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Early access is download-based, but once it launches, it will be disc-based. The codes are specific to each game, so you'll have to find which one is which. Or send both, as the one is cancelled, anyway.[/QUOTE]

The game isn't disc based ever. The only time you would ever use the discs is to install the game, and you don't even need the discs to do that.

Early access just needs the pre-order code that Amazon sent you. It doesn't matter which one you use. He might ask you to send him the codes in the package as his access to the game will stop on the 22nd unless he has the boxed code, it's your choice if you want to do so or not, but I probably wouldn't to minimize risk of Paypal fraud.

Was on Iron Citadel, 2 hour queue last night, Left for a new server. Not worth it when I have an hour to play maybe two and 80% of that time is spent waiting to login.

And as of no no transfers and no plans to offer transfers.

[quote name='Gannikus']The beta had perfect FPS, and 2 days ago it was fine...but there are RANDOM times when the FPS is unplayable even at 4am....heard to turn off the shadows but it was still unplayable.

Checking now if it turned out to be any better....waiting on que -_-[/QUOTE]

THIS.

I was one of the people that got invited into an early wave of beta. There were maybe a couple hundred of people on at any one time. My experience at the time was wonderful--I've beta tested various games and this has been the most stable beta stage MMO I've ever played. Good FPS, few glitches, no crashes. Then servers were opened for basically public beta/pre order weekend people were allowed in and the servers were flooded and everything went to hell (not that I'm blaming them, this happens with every new MMO). Hence my plan on waiting it out to play the live version, since literally millions of people are going to be cramming those live servers.

I've played quite a few new MMOs at launch date, and this happens with all of them--there WILL be server overcrowding, there WILL be queues, there WILL be bad FPS, lag, and glitches due to these issues. Since I now refuse to pay money to wait in a server queue to play a game, I just wait it out a couple months until these issues get hammered out. I've gotten so over this new "early access for people who preorder MMOs" trend due to these kinds of issues.

I probably shouldn't mention this but since I didn't have as much time to play this game as I would have liked due to work schedules...I did share my beta account with a friend (we had an agreement to play on alternating days), who is a BIG Star Wars fan, big into all the lore and that. He shared the same experience with me about the game testing, and waiting it out to play later on live. AND the character creator...it was so funny, we would make the most fucked up looking characters as possible, so logging on was always hilarious. It will be kind of disappointing when I finally log in on live and not see a random fugly character on the character select screen.

The single player stories for each class are wonderful. Even if you don't like MMOs, or plan on partying/hate grouping with strangers, a single player could probably play through each of the class stories over a few months and still have a wonderful time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously people, you guys didn't expect queues during the launch of the biggest MMO since WoW?

I admittedly didn't expect them until the actual release date, but this was totally expected.

And I imagine there will be server transfers in the future, but they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Got an email from Amazon claiming they shipped my CE on Friday, but UPS has no record of it (other than "shipping label created"). It's disappointing, as I had changed to 1-day shipping to hopefully get it on Friday, but now I won't even have it today, which was their promised date per the Amazon post on their forums, even with 2-day shipping.

Glad Bioware came back around and instituted (re-instituted?) the grace period they promised when they announced the pre-orders. :roll:

Well I played about an hour worth of it earlier today because I figured it would be my only way to play it for free without picking up my pre-order (which I already cancelled at Gamestop but for some reason I was still permitted access to the early access?). My initial impressions were that I think I'll just stick to WoW for my MMO fix.

Aside from the performance issues that have already been mentioned which did kind of irk me there was another thing that ended up bothering me much more than I thought it would. While I thought the cutscenes for every quest thing would be kind of cool, it ended up not being. As I sat there listening to the questgiver drone on about some stupid bugs I had to kill I realized that I rarely ever read the quests in WoW for one reason, it takes too long and they're almost all completely inconsequential to the overall story.

Other than that it seemed just ok, no better or worse than WoW (well with the exception of the opening cinematic which was AWESOME).

You can skip the dialogue by hitting the space bar (by default). Some of the quest stories are a little overkill, but the class quest cutscenes are part of the reason I love the game.

If you are thinking you are missing anything, all of the quest dialogue ends up in the "other" tab in your chat box.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well I played about an hour worth of it earlier today because I figured it would be my only way to play it for free without picking up my pre-order (which I already cancelled at Gamestop but for some reason I was still permitted access to the early access?). My initial impressions were that I think I'll just stick to WoW for my MMO fix.

Aside from the performance issues that have already been mentioned which did kind of irk me there was another thing that ended up bothering me much more than I thought it would. While I thought the cutscenes for every quest thing would be kind of cool, it ended up not being. As I sat there listening to the questgiver drone on about some stupid bugs I had to kill I realized that I rarely ever read the quests in WoW for one reason, it takes too long and they're almost all completely inconsequential to the overall story.

Other than that it seemed just ok, no better or worse than WoW (well with the exception of the opening cinematic which was AWESOME).[/QUOTE]

Considering the story and dialogue are the biggest reasons to play TOR, at least during leveling, you might as well play WoW if you are gonna skip it.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Considering the story and dialogue are the biggest reasons to play TOR, at least during leveling, you might as well play WoW if you are gonna skip it.[/QUOTE]

I think dialog/cutscenes are great for an MMO and I primarily play any game just for the story. My only issue with the dialog/cutscenes in TOR is that there's too much of it. No one really cares about seeing a cutscene for the many "go kill X and come back to me" missions.

Now that I see there's a way to skip the dialog though its kind of a moot point. Overall my opinion is just that since I've already committed and paid (thank you Target buy 1 get 1 glitch) for one year of WoW (for free Diablo 3) there doesn't feel like enough compelling me to get this spending $60 and then another $15 a month. If I hadn't signed up for the 1year WoW commitment I probably would jump on but my interest in it isn't enough to get me on board for a second MMO.

The irony is, when I make new alt to pass the time while I wait for my main's server queue to die down, the next day that alt's server ends up full and I have to make another alt on a newer server.

I'm sure I'm the one of many who get great FPS at a certain time, then all of a sudden it drops to 15ish -_- it doesn't matter if you have a very good pc, or average...people still get bad FPS

So I've been lurking their forums and found these out to help us here in CAG

SWTOR Preff
1. One of the most important fixes atm is to turn OFF (not low) Shadows.
2. Windowed Full Screen/Windowed mode helped some of us
3. Turn off V-sync
4. Bloom Off
5. The others could be high/medium but make sure the first 4 are off

PC
Turn off V sync, Anti Aliasing

Anybdody getting textures not loading during cutscenes? Sometimes the characters eyes turn completely black or metallic. Also if I have my companion with me they are just a black figure. I get good framerate and all my settings are down to low or medium.
Again, this only happens sometimes.

I have everything on maximum and the only place I've had issues with is Taris so far. There were two areas that my famerate would go to 1 frame every 5 seconds and then the game would crash. I could log back in and get out of there without much issues but once I went back or initiated a conversation it would happen again. I tried turning off blood/v-sync and lowering shadows/shaders to low but it didn't help. There does seem to be an issue with trees in cutscenes for me too.

So all in all, my main character (Inquisitor healer; specced DPS currently) made it to level 38. Have around 500k credits, a full set of level 40 PvP gear ready, Social Level 3 (almost 4), Valor Level 22, and my crafting skills are at (Synthweaving: 200'ish; Slicing: 400; Underworld Trading: 200'ish), expanded inventory several times and expanded cargo bay. Probably would have been higher or even max, but I played nice with a friend who isn't very MMO centric and ended up going at his pace. Definitely feels way too easy to level up and after level 35 it feels like quest dialogue options are just lazy.

If this game is a hit, do you think BioWare will to d a KOTOR 3 for the PS3 and 360 or even save it for the next systems?

[quote name='Gannikus']There are level 50's already....smh[/QUOTE]
/wave

Hit 50 today and two of my boys got there yesterday. Such an epic game. Waiting for server up again so we can hit Smuggler's Run for any commendation chests. Has anyone heard what the deal is on these? Seems like they randomly show up and since we were the first on the server to go there we found four but none since.

Really disappointed with how PvP gear works since you buy a bag and it gives you a piece of gear randomly (just like gay Warhammer did in PQs) for your class with random stats. Really fucking dumb move BioWare. Whatever, people will bitch enough that they'll fix it eventually. Not that PvP gear matters much since this game is imbalanced as hell. Just glad my BH is on the OP side and not shafted like some classes.

Hello from The Fatman
Screenshot_2011-12-19_16_29_24_757393.jpg

[quote name='YKRG2013']If this game is a hit, do you think BioWare will to d a KOTOR 3 for the PS3 and 360 or even save it for the next systems?[/QUOTE]

No. They've said this is basically KOTOR 3-10. I doubt they would make a standalone game again since they are going to be producing expansion content for this game for the forseeable future.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']No. They've said this is basically KOTOR 3-10. I doubt they would make a standalone game again since they are going to be producing expansion content for this game for the forseeable future.[/QUOTE]
And this game has so much potential for expansions. New races, classes, planets, and hopefully PvP world zones like Smuggler's Run. I could totally see them putting in a battle for Hoth or something. Fapfapfap.

Grats on 50, Jodou. Even though you've only been 50 for today, does it seem like there's a lot to do? I'm hoping the end game is engaging enough to make you want to play your 50 instead of immediately rolling another character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back