Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably shouldn't have spent the $10 on it, and it does lack TJ&E, and the frontend isn't the best, but I did get the Genesis Collection. I just couldn't resist having Alien Soldier and Gain Ground, legit, on Steam. That's too cool.

[quote name='houdinilogic']touche. who do we petition to get a treasure (or cave) collection on steam?[/QUOTE]

A cave collection would be great! Bring on some Deathsmiles!

[quote name='Terlan']Doesn't look like they're having on this week. It's usually up by now.[/QUOTE]
I'mnot giving up hope yet. Ill be on my PC all night waiting for them to put it up :drool:.

[quote name='Kiddcade']Any idea how long the Genesis/Dreamcast Collection sales will run? I'm getting some dosh on the first and need to know whether I should try and go for it now.[/QUOTE]

The news item says 10am on April 1.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I probably shouldn't have spent the $10 on it, and it does lack TJ&E, and the frontend isn't the best, but I did get the Genesis Collection. I just couldn't resist having Alien Soldier and Gain Ground, legit, on Steam. That's too cool.[/QUOTE]

And Gunstar Heroes right? Right?

How are the ports? I'm on the edge of picking it up, just worried about the emulation.

Does it play it 4:3 or stretch the image? Or options for either?

[quote name='Terlan']Doesn't look like they're having on this week. It's usually up by now.[/QUOTE]

Just speculating here, but for what it's worth, skipped midweek deals sometime precede larger sales events.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Just speculating here, but for what it's worth, skipped midweek deals sometime precede larger sales events.[/QUOTE]

After trading it my copy of BFBC2 for xbox I have been looking for a deal on PC. I doubt it will be it but i am keeping my fingers crossed.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Seems like there is no weekend deal either, could this mean were being led into a spring sale?[/QUOTE]

doesnt the weekend deal usually go up closer to 4pst?

I have a question concerning if theirs any risks of buying a steam game from another region. For example Russian Steam is selling Men of War Assault Squad for 9.99 opposed to US 39.99. Is their a way to buy it, and if I were to find a way, could I get in trouble?

[quote name='Cornkrise']I have a question concerning if theirs any risks of buying a steam game from another region. For example Russian Steam is selling Men of War Assault Squad for 9.99 opposed to US 39.99. Is their a way to buy it, and if I were to find a way, could I get in trouble?[/QUOTE]

This question would be better answered on the Steam forums. You'll just get speculation, here, and not a lot of support for ways to subvert the system.

Hmm. No midweek deal... possibly no weekend deal...

I know they don't usually do this, but it'd be cool if they had a goofy sale for April Fool's day. Or just Spring in general.

[quote name='Cornkrise']I have a question concerning if theirs any risks of buying a steam game from another region. For example Russian Steam is selling Men of War Assault Squad for 9.99 opposed to US 39.99. Is their a way to buy it, and if I were to find a way, could I get in trouble?[/QUOTE]
I wouldnt risk it, I think they lock your account.

My advice on the above circumvention is to go thru the Steam deals thread and look for people who were looking to buy (i.e. receive gifted codes) games bought by people from different regions and privately ask how their transactions went.

I can't imagine that in a legit transaction between friends in different regions, where for example someone from Eastern Europe buys a gift for their American friend, they would lock accounts.

[quote name='cheapo72']Happy #PotatoFoolsDay ![/QUOTE]

I just noticed, all those games are from this leaked game pack that never occurred in December.

Indie Potato Pack (yes, that's what it's called, don't ask me): AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

:lol:

I was hoping they were planning an awesome April Fools sale instead of potato themed updates.

I'm tempted to fire up Killing Floor, SMB, and Defense Grid to see what the potatoes are.

There's a shitstorm brewing over on the Steam forums, from people on extremely limited bandwidth caps, who have just had several gigabytes worth of updates download for the potato gags.

I don't really know if this was an incredibly good idea.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There's a shitstorm brewing over on the Steam forums, from people on extremely limited bandwidth caps, who have just had several gigabytes worth of updates download for the potato gags.

I don't really know if this was an incredibly good idea.[/QUOTE]

I would be more mad that I have internet caps, but yes, that would be annoying.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Why the hell if you have a cap would you not make sure you turn off auto updating on your games.[/QUOTE]
I imagine those people still want to keep their games updated, just not with frivolous "jokes".

I'm betting the people with bandwidth caps are Canuckian and otherwise love to sneer about their "free" health care. Gee, too bad that same government that taxes the hell out of them for their "free" stuff also imposed the bandwidth caps.

[quote name='cdancause']Looks like a theme weekend. I just fired up The Ball, and "the ball" is now ... a potato.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, Meat Boy is now too a potato...

[quote name='rybrad']I imagine those people still want to keep their games updated, just not with frivolous "jokes".[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but if I had a cap I would manually check when I went to play a game or keep just a few I play often auto updated.

To be fair the "do not keep this game up to date" option is notoriously buggy. There is always a thread on the steam forums complaining about it.

[quote name='Xealot42']To be fair the "do not keep this game up to date" option is notoriously buggy. There is always a thread on the steam forums complaining about it.[/QUOTE]

This. I have tried to keep games from updating in the past, simply because I was not playing them at the time and did not want the constant stream of updates clogging my bandwidth. Didn't matter. Every day I restarted Steam, everything reset and mass downloads began again.

If they actually fixed this feature, then I imagine there would be less complaints.

I have all of the ones I want so it is a bit hard for me to give an opinion on whether or not they're all worth $40 in total. I think I got Killing Floor, Meat Boy, Bit Trip, Defense Grid, Toki Tori, and Audio Surf for around $15 or less total over the last few months. Amnesia has been as low as $5 and the others as low as $2.50. Additionally a lot of the games are ripe for inclusion (or have already been included) in those 5 for $5 themed indie packs.

So... I guess... overall I would say not an insanely good deal but not bad. If you only want half or so specific ones I would just wait it out.

Good deal if you don't have any/most of them. I own 9 of them, I'm semi interested in SMB but and that new 123 game looks neat but bleh.

Guess it is a good thing, just bought a warhammer 40k dreadnaught model lol

The Potato Pack is actually up now. Tons of games for 75% off in the pack, and you can gift the extras, or 50% each. And of course, there is a fucking TF2 hat involved.

I'm going to get 1 2 3 Kick It (I swear, Dejobann picks the most annoying names, haha), though, because I've been looking forward to it for a while.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I'm betting the people with bandwidth caps are Canuckian and otherwise love to sneer about their "free" health care. Gee, too bad that same government that taxes the hell out of them for their "free" stuff also imposed the bandwidth caps.[/QUOTE]
Good job finding a completely bizarre excuse to ramble about your anti-tax politics or whatever it is you're doing here.

Wow, I can't believe the Potato Pack is finally a reality. Nothing for me this time since I own more than half the pack. However, if you don't this is a good deal.

The SEGA Genesis Classics Collection is listed on the main page as on sale. But I don't see the collection in my actual steam browser, only on the website and the its not showing as on sale on the site. Was this a very short deal or something?
NM I found the sale listing. Crap I missed it. I was looking forward to playing Sword of Vermillion again.

[quote name='Sulik2']The SEGA Genesis Classics Collection is listed on the main page as on sale. But I don't see the collection in my actual steam browser, only on the website and the its not showing as on sale on the site. Was this a very short deal or something?
NM I found the sale listing. Crap I missed it. I was looking forward to playing Sword of Vermillion again.[/QUOTE]

lol Sullik, that was on sale for SO long. i cant believe you missed it.

[quote name='Kurina']This. I have tried to keep games from updating in the past, simply because I was not playing them at the time and did not want the constant stream of updates clogging my bandwidth. Didn't matter. Every day I restarted Steam, everything reset and mass downloads began again.

If they actually fixed this feature, then I imagine there would be less complaints.[/QUOTE]

I usually uninstall games I'm not playing. Jes' sayin'.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Good job finding a completely bizarre excuse to ramble about your anti-tax politics or whatever it is you're doing here.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
Also, Comcast has caps.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']and you can gift the extras, [/QUOTE]

SO TEMPTING.

Already own everything except 1 2 3 Kick It, Bit.Trip Beat, and Wonderful End of the World. Not sure I wanna pick 'em up at $5 each though, even for a glorious potato hat. Guess I could buy the whole bundle and try selling the individual extra games off at 75% off since that would cover the few I'm missing, but that also would be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Might end up skipping this one, though it's a hell of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back