Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='plutoknight']I want Guild Wars for that price..........but I was hoping the Trilogy would be 10 as well. Is it a pretty good MMO, all-things considered?

Something casual-ish a la WoW would be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I only ever played the original game (none of the expansions) and thought it was very solid.

Really tempted by Stalker: CoP. Been eyeing it for awhile and $3.75 is a damn good price. That said, I bought Stalker: SoC for $2.50 so I might wait until the holiday sale given my backlog. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='kross036']Thinking about picking up one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Does CAG recommend one over any of the other?[/QUOTE]
Start with Shadow of Chernobyl. It's an amazing game. I played it vanilla (no mods), and almost beat it but I deleted my save file when reformatting my hard drive. I honestly would play through it again.

You save $0.01 if you buy the Deus Ex games separately instead of that 2 pack Deus Ex collection deal, haha.

Looked into King Arthur. For $4.50 I am totally in, for a Strategy Roleplaying game with fucking Dinosaurs in. Plus I don't expect it to get any cheaper for a long while (since I will play it when I upgrade).

Also in for Beat Hazard because I want the DLC.

If anybody has a left-over Frozen Synapse you'd want to sell, let me know. I'll be working outside until later tonight, but am very interested. Thx, gang.

[quote name='alangee']Do people still play CoD4? And how cheap was Civ V on GamersGate?[/QUOTE]

It was $11 in GG weekly sale.

This day is not for me either, I only bought few games during the last day of Steam sale. I think I'm gonna check GG tomorrow to see what deals they gonna make. Hopefully the deals is much better than Steam.

for comparison from the last deal
Bully: GG=$3 Steam=$3.++
Civ V: GG=$11 Steam=$24.99

Well, I hope Steam put Batman:GoTY under $4 because the last week in GG it was $4.4
C'mon Steam!!!

[quote name='kross036']Thinking about picking up one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Does CAG recommend one over any of the other?[/QUOTE]
Pripyat. That or the first one.

[quote name='Isurus']To buy them all (GW Trilogy, EotN), it costs 24.99. No thanks! What a shitty deal IMO.[/QUOTE]I paid 49.99 for each Guild Wars title as they came out. Stop complaining, boy.

Also, guys, everyone buy Guild Wars. I've spent at least 250 hours on it. Dudes. Seriously. Do it. It's like WoW, only with less trading and PvP and more storylines and Kari Wahlgren.

Kari Wahlgren, guys.

I highly suggest trying on the demo on Steam of AI Wars. It is a great game, especially co op. The devs are great and support the game giving it free content and paid for expansions.

[quote name='topplehat']Was thinking about Monday Night Combat, but I already have TF2 so I don't see the point.

Guild Wars, on the other hand is tempting. I only ever owned the first game.[/QUOTE]

Whereas TF2 is rather staple FPSing (well, objective FPSing) MNC is more DOTA/LOL from a third person shooter angle. Pick a class that augments how you want to play, but it's still tower defense and either defending your core against attackers or trying to push through to an opposing team's core.

Beat Hazard is a MUST buy. Seriously the game is just such a great little experience. The gameplay is fun and that it uses your own music just makes it 10,000x better.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Guild wars is decent. Not as good as WoW but for $15 for a lifetime sub and 3 games that be completed (as of each game has a storyline and a beginning and end), it's not too shabby. Actually to be fair guild wars is the price of a month of WoW and has a lot of content.[/QUOTE]
That's a fair point, I think I'll get it.. Was interested in the Stalker games and Deus Ex, but I'm sure they'll be on sale again by the time I get around to playing them so I'll pass for now. Thanks!

[quote name='Bonobos']

for comparison from the last deal
Bully: GG=$3 Steam=$3.++
Civ V: GG=$11 Steam=$24.99

Well, I hope Steam put Batman:GoTY under $4 because the last week in GG it was $4.4
C'mon Steam!!![/QUOTE]

Agreed. Is GamersGate going to have a sale soon? I was so disappointed that I didn't buy Batman, and I missed Civ V ENTIRELY.

[quote name='fishphoenix']So should I get just Deus Ex GOTY or the collection that also includes Invisible War?[/QUOTE]

Invisible War isn't really a terrible, or even bad game. It's fairly fun. (At least, I had fun with it) The only problem is how blatant the console-port-itis was with that one. A lot of features dumbed down such as unanimous ammo/biomods, password management, etc.

If you don't have a massive backlog and think you'd have the time to get to it after beating DX1, by all means. $2.50 is a great price for a fairly good game. =)

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Bought Monday Night Combat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky, and COD4. Wasn't planning to get COD4 at all, until I saw this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dToRs1Jmg08

Star Wars COD. I can't resist such a combination.[/QUOTE]
Mother of God.. Might need to bite the bullet and pick up COD4 now as well. Never heard of this, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

For anyone considering S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and who might be hesitant due to stories about numerous bugs and/or bad graphics, I recommend this mod:

STALKER Complete

It completely overhauls the graphics and makes the game extremely beautiful. Pretty much all bugs have been fixed by it as well. The gameplay is unaltered so if you want to experience the the game's story in it's original way this is still super. It greatly improves the atmosphere in the game, which is already fantastic.

There's a complete mod for SoC and Clear Sky and I think they're working on a CoP at the moment.

TLDR: STALKER is awesome, go get it and download the mod to enhance awesomeness.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Beat Hazard is a MUST buy. Seriously the game is just such a great little experience. The gameplay is fun and that it uses your own music just makes it 10,000x better.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's just pure fun. I'll probably pick up the Ultra expansion today.

[quote name='alangee']Agreed. Is GamersGate going to have a sale soon? I was so disappointed that I didn't buy Batman, and I missed Civ V ENTIRELY.[/QUOTE]

You can still get Civ V from Amazon its $16.96 and you can register the key in Steam.
Ironic isn't it? 1 game, both with Steam DRM, but you can find it cheaper outside Steam :D

Edit: I think GG gonna give us sale tomorrow, finger crossed.

I think the Stalker loyalty program is still in effect for Pripyat. I'm seeing a price of $3.74 if you own either of the previous STALKER games. Or is that the price for everyone?

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Invisible War isn't really a terrible, or even bad game. It's fairly fun. (At least, I had fun with it) The only problem is how blatant the console-port-itis was with that one. A lot of features dumbed down such as unanimous ammo/biomods, password management, etc.

If you don't have a massive backlog and think you'd have the time to get to it after beating DX1, by all means. $2.50 is a great price for a fairly good game. =)[/QUOTE]

A fairly good game, but a terrible sequel to one of the most innovative and open games of its time. Deus Ex is still one of the only games that made me feel like I could do things the game didn't want or intend for me to do and get away with it. I wish there was a modern game that allowed you to look at the plot and go 'no, I refuse to let this character die, even if the odds are against me.' Instead we have Mass Effect and its forced choices that can't be altered (basically choose who dies, etc).

[quote name='SamusXtreme']I paid 49.99 for each Guild Wars title as they came out. Stop complaining, boy.

Also, guys, everyone buy Guild Wars. I've spent at least 250 hours on it. Dudes. Seriously. Do it. It's like WoW, only with less trading and PvP and more storylines and Kari Wahlgren.

Kari Wahlgren, guys.[/QUOTE]

I bought the original for 49.99 and beat the game years ago. It's a good game, but come on, these prices are not the best they could do. The last expansion came out in August 2007 according to wikipedia.

I'm reluctant to spend half of what it costs to buy a new game on something so old, despite how good it may be. Other great games are much cheaper and much newer.

I've been eying King Arthur for a long time and I just can't pass up $4.50 for the whole collection. Back when I played the demo it felt like almost a more storied Total War game.

[quote name='cornyt']I think the Stalker loyalty program is still in effect for Pripyat. I'm seeing a price of $3.74 if you own either of the previous STALKER games. Or is that the price for everyone?[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. I was about to ask why the newest game was cheaper than the first. Looks like it is $3.74 with the loyalty promo and $7.49 without.

[quote name='etcrane']A fairly good game, but a terrible sequel to one of the most innovative and open games of its time. Deus Ex is still one of the only games that made me feel like I could do things the game didn't want or intend for me to do and get away with it. I wish there was a modern game that allowed you to look at the plot and go 'no, I refuse to let this character die, even if the odds are against me.' Instead we have Mass Effect and its forced choices that can't be altered (basically choose who dies, etc).[/QUOTE]

Oh definitely not disagreeing in the least! I think at that point i'd rewritten my couple sentences there a few times, and decided to keep my post simple. =P

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is Monday Night Combat 100% online or is there an offline mode?[/QUOTE]

There's an offline mode. It's the core defense vs incoming waves of bots with you as the only defending player. As you can imagine though, like with most games this style it's definitely meant to be played in multiplayer.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Bought Monday Night Combat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky, and COD4. Wasn't planning to get COD4 at all, until I saw this trailer:

Star Wars COD. I can't resist such a combination.[/QUOTE]

well, i wasn't planning on anything today but it looks like im going to pick up COD4. COD4 + Star Wars is sure to be an awesome combination!!!

[quote name='Isurus']I bought the original for 49.99 and beat the game years ago. It's a good game, but come on, these prices are not the best they could do. The last expansion came out in August 2007 according to wikipedia.

I'm reluctant to spend half of what it costs to buy a new game on something so old, despite how good it may be. Other great games are much cheaper and much newer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,

EDIT: Totally wrong on that. Eye of the Storm seems like its the first expansion...but its the 3rd? o_O. weird.

Ahhhhhh.... Can't decide if I should buy just Shift 1 for $10.99, or the full NFS pack with Undercover, Hot Persuit, Shift, and Shift 2 for $34.99.... I think I'll get the whole pack, though I don't know if I'll like Undercover and Hot persuit. I've also heard the physics in Shift are no where near as good as F1 2010 or GT5 which are the 2 racing games I play... so I might be disappointed with those also =/

Might pick up Deus Ex also.

Slightly off topic question... If we spend our Summer camp tickets on prizes (was thinking of getting that Alien Breed 2 game), do we still get entered in the draw to win our top 10 games? Or do we have to keep the tickets?

[quote name='Isurus']I bought the original for 49.99 and beat the game years ago. It's a good game, but come on, these prices are not the best they could do. The last expansion came out in August 2007 according to wikipedia.

I'm reluctant to spend half of what it costs to buy a new game on something so old, despite how good it may be. Other great games are much cheaper and much newer.
[/QUOTE]Kari Wahlgren is in them, though.

Come on guys. Spread the Kari love.

[quote name='CACG']Ahhhhhh.... Can't decide if I should buy just Shift 1 for $10.99, or the full NFS pack with Undercover, Hot Persuit, Shift, and Shift 2 for $34.99.... I think I'll get the whole pack, though I don't know if I'll like Undercover and Hot persuit. I've also heard the physics in Shift are no where near as good as F1 2010 or GT5... so I might be disappointed with those also =/

Might pick up Deus Ex also.

Slightly off topic question... If we spend our Summer camp tickets on prizes (was thinking of getting that Alien Breed 2 game), do we still get entered in the draw to win our top 10 games? Or do we have to keep the tickets?[/QUOTE]
No you keep the drawings (But your chance of winning is one in a million)
I heard CoD 4 is infested with hackers but I kinda want to get it.
Damn hackers D:

[quote name='SamusXtreme']I paid 49.99 for each Guild Wars title as they came out. Stop complaining, boy.

Kari Wahlgren, guys.[/QUOTE]

Less PvP? We must have seen the game completely differently because I saw it as a great PvP game with big competitions with some crappy grindy PvE thrown in on the side to try to keep the standard MMO crowd entertained. One of the best set up PvP games if you ask me.

Sadly the game shifted more towards that grindy PvE over the years and leaves me worried about the second one.

[quote name='CACG']Ahhhhhh.... Can't decide if I should buy just Shift 1 for $10.99, or the full NFS pack with Undercover, Hot Persuit, Shift, and Shift 2 for $34.99.... I think I'll get the whole pack, though I don't know if I'll like Undercover and Hot persuit. I've also heard the physics in Shift are no where near as good as F1 2010 or GT5 which are the 2 racing games I play... so I might be disappointed with those also =/ [/QUOTE]

I am not sure if there are any demos of the games out there for shift but you might want to try them. If you prefer simulation type racers, it won't scratch that itch. I felt that Shift 1 had problems deciding what type of game it should be. It was set up with options like a sim but then all the cars just have really sticky front tires with the back end swinging around.

I hear there is a physics mod that fixes a lot of the issues out there though. Haven't tried it myself but I got a free copy of the game for PC too (I originally got it on PS3) and looked into mods a little bit.

[quote name='plutoknight']Yeah,

Not to mention, I just realized that the FIRST expansion isn't part of the trilogy, but the 2nd and 3rd expansions are. That's....kinda tricky.

This will require some thought.[/QUOTE]

Eye of the North is an add-on campaign for level 20 characters, whereas Factions and Nightfall can both be played as their own standalone games. Characters can travel between the three different games once you get to a certain point in each story, but I'd still consider each campaign more like a separate game than an expansion.

If you're interested, I would buy the trilogy, see if you like it, and then add your key for Eye of the North later -- you can grab a copy for less than $10 on eBay and it will work with the Steam version.

[quote name='CACG']Ahhhhhh.... Can't decide if I should buy just Shift 1 for $10.99, or the full NFS pack with Undercover, Hot Persuit, Shift, and Shift 2 for $34.99.... I think I'll get the whole pack, though I don't know if I'll like Undercover and Hot persuit. I've also heard the physics in Shift are no where near as good as F1 2010 or GT5 which are the 2 racing games I play... so I might be disappointed with those also =/
[/QUOTE]

F1 and GT5 are much more serious racers than the NFS games. The goals of the games are very different, so be sure to adjust your expectations for how the game should play.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Civilization V is $24.99 and the Digital Deluxe version is $29.99..

What are people's opinions on the DLC? I just got the Polynesian one but haven't played it yet. Below are all the DLC links and bundles I could find on Steam:[/QUOTE]

My personal opinion is that the DLC maps can be skipped, as you'll find lots of maps for free online. As for the new civilizations/nations, I'd pick them up if you've got an interest in one of the cultures AND if you really like playing Civ V. The base game has a lot of cultures to play already. To be honest, I own all the additional ones but the Vikings, and I've only ever played with Spain thus far as games can last a while if you don't go the military route.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Saablic']Less PvP? We must have seen the game completely differently because I saw it as a great PvP game with big competitions with some crappy grindy PvE thrown in on the side to try to keep the standard MMO crowd entertained. One of the best set up PvP games if you ask me.[/QUOTE]Less PvP, not worse PvP. The PvP's great, you're just limited to arenas, faction battles, and guild battles.

Also, guys, has Call of Cthulhu ever been less than 7.49? Samus grows impatient, and is considering buying it before the last day of the sale.

Is Need for Speed Undercover worth the $6? I've been dying to get a racer on Steam for a while now, but I try not to spend more than $10 on games I'm unsure of and decent looking racers don't go below that very often. I recall reading some mediocre reviews of it, but I really want something that will satisfy my racing itch. Oh, and I don't care if it isn't a game appealing to the steering-wheel-accessory buying crowd, I just want a decent racer.

If it isn't worth it then I'll just keep hoping for Blur to be a daily deal I guess...

[quote name='SamusXtreme']

Also, guys, has Call of Cthulhu ever been less than 7.49? Samus grows impatient, and is considering buying it before the last day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I've had it in my wishlist for quite a while, and I've yet to see it drop below that price (Steamgamesales.com verifies this). It's a shame since I want it, but that's not the kind of money I want to pay for an older game.

My opinion on some of today's stuff:

Civilization V - been out too long to still be $24.99 in the daily deal :whistle2:(
Call of Duty 4 Modern Wafare - $9.99 is silly high for this game at this point. Not a good deal. Should be $5 or less by now, that's an order.

aw the Dues Ex deal is not as good as it was in the last sale. I got both combined for $2 something, now it's $2.49 for each.

Monkey Island should be combined deal. They are great games, but $4.99 is actually kinda high for each. $5ish combined woulda been good tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back