Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

Neuro5i5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
151 (100%)
This thread will attempt to provide a place to discuss past/present/future PC gaming deals. While mainly focusing on Steam games, any standout sales may also be presented. I will not be updating every Daily/Weekly/etc. sale. The tools to help individuals become a smarter shopper will be provided below.

See this POST for links to store sale pages, threads of interest and other tools to help you become a more informed PC game shopper.

Last edited:
CAGs! Petz Horsez 2 is $0.92, an all time low!

58aebb47ca1a64fb1a8b4567.jpg
glitch-face.jpg

Some Gamepass games played:

Look forward to impressions from Carrion, Star Renegade, Super Lucky's Tale, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, Touhou Luna Nights, and WORLD OF HORROR (Game Preview).

Battletoads - I'm going to be honest and say this one is a disappointing game. The controls for a beat em up are extremely finicky. The combos aren't super easy to pull off and some moves like eating flies are annoying to pull off. There are various combos with different buttons and sometimes they just don't come off correctly even with the correct keys pressed. I think this is because of the animations and how sometimes they aren't super clean. The hit detection is also pretty lackluster. The dodge move sometimes just doesn't work even if you time it right. It's like if an animation such as an enemy charging into you collides with any part of your dodge it just stops. Also why the heck are these enemies so spongey. They take forever to kill. The story is stupid and juvenile, though I honestly like the graphics. They're colorful, decently animated and have some character. There is also a horrible homage to the bike levels in the original. It was a frustrating level with imprecise floaty driving controls and only have 3 lives. It took me many retries to beat that very long level! I gave up 2 levels after that and was not having a good time. This game just doesn't feel right and I grew tired of the story, characters, enemies and just about everything. 6/10

Neon Abyss - This was a pleasant surprise for me. It's a rouge lite 2D platformer shooter. It controls very decently with an XBOX 360 controller. You go around a bunch of rooms shooting guys for money, getting items, doing a devil/good type system where you get a curse room/blessing room when you fill out that meter, and try to make it to the boss on each floor. The controls for the jump at first where a bit weird to me as holding down the button would make you jump farther and all. I got used to them though. You also get different guns and artifacts to make you more powerful. You also can collect eggs which may or may not hatch into familiars. These all have life totals and can do different things. They're a bit neat, but nothing amazing. The graphics in this one are very clean and nice looking. There is some solid pixel art here. Also the sound is a bit loud (I turned it down a lot), but the guns, explosions and music all sound decent. Overall it maybe is a little forgettable but this is easily one I'll look for when it's bundled or very cheap after I cancel my game pass the end of next month. I beat it and it was good fun. 7/10

Streets of Rage 4 - Now this is a good beat em up. The music, sound and graphics are just excellent. I love the animations though they're a little bit sexualized especially for Blaze. I played Blaze, the guy with metal arms and the girl with the guitar. I also played an unlockable Axel from Streets of Rage 1. This isn't a super long game. It lasts about probably 2 hours maybe. The controls are super smooth and it's easy to do all your moves. The levels are decently well constructed and the enemy variety is relatively decent. I played on Normal and felt a decent amount of difficulty throughout. The story is nothing to write home about. It's fun and old school and worth a play, though likely at a discount because it's so short. 8/10

Xeno Crisis - An arcade inspired Super Smash TV homage. The graphics look maybe worse than Super Smash TV in that they feel a bit generic other than the bosses. Everywhere just feels like a run down army center or outdoor area or something like that. This one has similar controls to Super Smash TV such as up/down/left/right controlling your gun in those direction. You also can throw a grenade with one trigger and dodge roll with the other. The grenades are finnicky compared to the bombs in Super Smash TV. They're less likely to hit enemies because it doesn't go off right away. Also whose not great idea was it to have you forced to reload the basic gun. This breaks up the action and isn't fun. There is two major flaws with the game. First of all the bullets are nigh impossible to dodge. This is mainly cause the graphics make it hard to see bullets. They also travel very fast making dodging very hard. The dodge roll is also a bit floaty and all. Second of all it's easy to die and you will need to waste your earnings (dog tags) to save up to buy continues. I made it through two worlds and I used to be able to get the third world of Super Smash TV by myself and that wasn't easy. Just uninspired and made me want to just play Super Smash TV again. 6/10

Some Gamepass games played:

Look forward to impressions from Carrion, Star Renegade, Super Lucky's Tale, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics, Touhou Luna Nights, and WORLD OF HORROR (Game Preview).

Battletoads - I'm going to be honest and say this one is a disappointing game. The controls for a beat em up are extremely finicky. The combos aren't super easy to pull off and some moves like eating flies are annoying to pull off. There are various combos with different buttons and sometimes they just don't come off correctly even with the correct keys pressed. I think this is because of the animations and how sometimes they aren't super clean. The hit detection is also pretty lackluster. The dodge move sometimes just doesn't work even if you time it right. It's like if an animation such as an enemy charging into you collides with any part of your dodge it just stops. Also why the heck are these enemies so spongey. They take forever to kill. The story is stupid and juvenile, though I honestly like the graphics. They're colorful, decently animated and have some character. There is also a horrible homage to the bike levels in the original. It was a frustrating level with imprecise floaty driving controls and only have 3 lives. It took me many retries to beat that very long level! I gave up 2 levels after that and was not having a good time. This game just doesn't feel right and I grew tired of the story, characters, enemies and just about everything. 6/10

Neon Abyss - This was a pleasant surprise for me. It's a rouge lite 2D platformer shooter. It controls very decently with an XBOX 360 controller. You go around a bunch of rooms shooting guys for money, getting items, doing a devil/good type system where you get a curse room/blessing room when you fill out that meter, and try to make it to the boss on each floor. The controls for the jump at first where a bit weird to me as holding down the button would make you jump farther and all. I got used to them though. You also get different guns and artifacts to make you more powerful. You also can collect eggs which may or may not hatch into familiars. These all have life totals and can do different things. They're a bit neat, but nothing amazing. The graphics in this one are very clean and nice looking. There is some solid pixel art here. Also the sound is a bit loud (I turned it down a lot), but the guns, explosions and music all sound decent. Overall it maybe is a little forgettable but this is easily one I'll look for when it's bundled or very cheap after I cancel my game pass the end of next month. I beat it and it was good fun. 7/10

Streets of Rage 4 - Now this is a good beat em up. The music, sound and graphics are just excellent. I love the animations though they're a little bit sexualized especially for Blaze. I played Blaze, the guy with metal arms and the girl with the guitar. I also played an unlockable Axel from Streets of Rage 1. This isn't a super long game. It lasts about probably 2 hours maybe. The controls are super smooth and it's easy to do all your moves. The levels are decently well constructed and the enemy variety is relatively decent. I played on Normal and felt a decent amount of difficulty throughout. The story is nothing to write home about. It's fun and old school and worth a play, though likely at a discount because it's so short. 8/10

Xeno Crisis - An arcade inspired Super Smash TV homage. The graphics look maybe worse than Super Smash TV in that they feel a bit generic other than the bosses. Everywhere just feels like a run down army center or outdoor area or something like that. This one has similar controls to Super Smash TV such as up/down/left/right controlling your gun in those direction. You also can throw a grenade with one trigger and dodge roll with the other. The grenades are finnicky compared to the bombs in Super Smash TV. They're less likely to hit enemies because it doesn't go off right away. Also whose not great idea was it to have you forced to reload the basic gun. This breaks up the action and isn't fun. There is two major flaws with the game. First of all the bullets are nigh impossible to dodge. This is mainly cause the graphics make it hard to see bullets. They also travel very fast making dodging very hard. The dodge roll is also a bit floaty and all. Second of all it's easy to die and you will need to waste your earnings (dog tags) to save up to buy continues. I made it through two worlds and I used to be able to get the third world of Super Smash TV by myself and that wasn't easy. Just uninspired and made me want to just play Super Smash TV again. 6/10
Sounds like you make it to the even more frustration inducing later levels in Battletoads:
The sledding level that goes on for longer than it needs to, the annoying space rebooting level (basically a number of timed minigames), and then the final level: Speeder bikes again, but this time with walls that appear out of nowhere just like in the original.

The entire game was just so odd... it's like the Dlala and Rare had no idea who they were making the game for so they just went with "lets throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks"

Last edited by a moderator:
So I played Xeno Crisis back when it came out. Game was fine until the end:

If you use a continue at any point in the campaign, regardless of difficulty, the game ends immediately before the final boss. Turns out those elixirs you've been taking that allow you to continue are actually full of nanomachines (son) and now the boss dude has control of your nervous system or some bullshit like that.

You die.

Game over.

Never went back to it after that.

If you use a continue at any point in the campaign, regardless of difficulty, the game ends immediately before the final boss. Turns out those elixirs you've been taking that allow you to continue are actually full of nanomachines (son) and now the boss dude has control of your nervous system or some bullshit like that.

You die.

Game over.

That's some asshole game design right there.

If it's a shorter game, I don't have much of a problem with that.  Feels like how NES games would have second loops or "now beat the game on hard mode for the real ending".

If it's a shorter game, I don't have much of a problem with that. Feels like how NES games would have second loops or "now beat the game on hard mode for the real ending".
Short game and they at least wrote in a small story justification it seems. I do like when in game mechanics actually tie to plots. Like the save points in xenogears and chrono cross. I'd still be annoyed though that there wasn't even a hint or warning before it.

Beat Wasteland 3 after about 60 hours of play.  Easily could have dragged that out further since there were still undiscovered locations on my map but I hit the "Let's wrap this up" point and pushed through to the ending.  That shouldn't be construed as me not enjoying the game; I just wanted to experience the main story for what it was rather than turning over every single rock on my first play through.

All in all, I enjoyed it and don't at all regret spending that $25 years ago and long forgotten.  I haven't really played an isometric RPG since Fallout 2 so I can't compare it with the current generation of similar games but I had fun.  The game was enjoyably casual on Normal difficulty, not letting you faceroll through but not posing a real threat either.  Characters were decent though I didn't feel especially attached to any of them beyond what they mechanically provided to the party.  Upsetting one and them leaving would have been more of a resource setback than upsetting me because I made the special computer person sad.  The overall world was okay.  I never fell in love with the constant Wasteland wackiness but it didn't put me off either and it's part and parcel of the setting so whatever.  The story was decent and had enough branching paths to satisfy someone's "good guy" play through or "total jerk" play through and, unlike some games, there are advantages to being a dick or disobeying orders at times.  I encountered a number of moral choices that felt grey but never felt like the game was playing gotcha with unintended consequences.  I played fairly straight and narrow and got a largely satisfactory ending.

My criticism earlier was that the game made it difficult to justify changing up your party once you settled in and I still feel the same.  If and when I play again, I'll know to pass on some companions I used this time to save space and not devote too much effort to temporary fill-ins but, for a first time play through, I found myself feeling like I was taking steps backwards to accept anyone after the first quarter or so of the game.  There's no stable of companions either -- if you dismiss someone then they leave for good and if you refuse their offer the first time, there's no second chances [Edit: I've since heard that replaced companions, if they leave on good terms, return to the HQ bar; haven't tested it myself].  On the positive side, the people I encountered later were mostly a bunch of real douchebags and putzes so I didn't feel too bad about leaving them behind.

I only encountered a few minor bugs: One character kept having med packs disappear from her quick slot and I'd have to put them back from inventory and another with Leadership sometimes had the Rally skill fire off but no one got buffed.  Nothing really game breaking, just eye-rolling.

Just think: someone designed that and probably thought "Man, this'll just blow their minds!"
It's also the laziest way to do it.
Even in the NES era, they'd be smart enough to know the right way to do it would be to make an alternate version of the boss that would need to be defeated to get the "true ending".

Doing it the other way is just full on arcade game kill screen BS.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet Fanatical is doing another Bundle Fest starting today:

https://twitter.com/Fanatical/status/1305159299476275201

You die.

Game over.

Reminds me a bit of original X-men on the Genesis. There's a boss that you can't beat unless you hit the reset button on the console—but if you hit it too hard or too long, it'll actually reset the console. It also doesn't actually tell you what you have to do, so before the internet, most people never even figured it out.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet Fanatical is doing another Bundle Fest starting today:
BundleSaviors!

I'm around at a total 32 hours or so into Wasteland 3 now. Still going. Still really enjoying it. Still got a good amount of quests on the board, too. Doesn't feel like I'll be done...anytime soon here.

2 weeks ago, played through Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York. For those that never played a VTM game, feels like a solid introduction to that universe, as it teaches a lot of the lingo, terms, politics, and stuff that goes with that franchise. No voice-acting and the background were somewhat static, even though some had movement of characters, stuff in the background, etc etc - in a sense, reminds me of Myst; but everything looks "hand-drawn" mostly. You have some decision-making to make, though it does seem like...it's like TWD Telltale and the journey might be different, more than anything. Some characters and quests, never even got to. I really liked the writing and characters here - but felt things wrapped up a bit too quickly here, by the end. It's as if the publisher told them to wrap stuff....and they did so. Took about 5 hours or so to get through this visual novel.

I mean, Xeno Crisis is a Sega Genesis throwback, made as a kickstarter project first and foremost to be released on a literal Sega Genesis cartridge.

Yeah, the endings are absolutely a throwback to that era and part and parcel of what those games were. Couldn't have made it any other way and been faithful to the entire raison d'etre of the project. 

Beat Wasteland 3 after about 60 hours of play. Easily could have dragged that out further since there were still undiscovered locations on my m

My criticism earlier was that the game made it difficult to justify changing up your party once you settled in and I still feel the same. If and when I play again, I'll know to pass on some companions I used this time to save space and not devote too much effort to temporary fill-ins but, for a first time play through, I found myself feeling like I was taking steps backwards to accept anyone after the first quarter or so of the game. There's no stable of companions either -- if you dismiss someone then they leave for good and if you refuse their offer the first time, there's no second chances. On the positive side, the people I encountered later were mostly a bunch of real douchebags and putzes so I didn't feel too bad about leaving them behind.
Here's what I don't quite understand about this, Syntax: once you start adding stuff to your base in Colorado Springs, you can go back and fill in your roster with pre-rolled or user-generated NPCs. I didn't have anybody with high brawling or lockpicking or explosives skills in my original group, so I filled in my gaps with a character I made. The game even lets you pick which weapon the person starts with. This should have offset any issues you had with new companion types not being sufficiently skilled to be of use. I'm actually not really seeing (I'm only about 15 hours in myself) much of a difference in gameplay terms between companions and ranger NPCs, aside from the occasional bit of extra dialog with an NPC who's not in your party. I haven't seen any semblance of party interactions in a similar vein to Baldur's Gate.

I'm also wondering why it seems as though everyone I encountered in post-apocalyptic Colorado spoke with a strong Southern accent. As a guy who's lived in the Deep South most of his life and has only briefly passed through modern-day Colorado, I could posit several potential explanations for this, but it goes curiously unremarked-upon in the game.  :whistle2:k

Here's what I don't quite understand about this, Syntax: once you start adding stuff to your base in Colorado Springs, you can go back and fill in your roster with pre-rolled or user-generated NPCs. I didn't have anybody with high brawling or lockpicking or explosives skills in my original group, so I filled in my gaps with a character I made. The game even lets you pick which weapon the person starts with. This should have offset any issues you had with new companion types not being sufficiently skilled to be of use. I'm actually not really seeing (I'm only about 15 hours in myself) much of a difference in gameplay terms between companions and ranger NPCs, aside from the occasional bit of extra dialog with an NPC who's not in your party. I haven't seen any semblance of party interactions in a similar vein to Baldur's Gate.
As far as I can tell, there isn't a ton of difference between Rangers and "special" Companions except that Companions might give some new dialogue options. Or at least say a few choice things during dialogue. Which is what I meant by not feeling too broken up if one was to get mad and leave -- I never felt "close" to any of them or invested in making sure they obtained their goals. I guess the companions also have some minor hidden perks or something. Also, they get a mention in the ending, assuming you traveled with them. So I still found them slightly more interesting than the hired-on Rangers who have nothing to say or add to the game aside from some combat barks.

However, I guess I was wrong about dismissing them. I had read early on that replacing a Ranger just put them back into the roster but getting rid of a companion was permanent. Today someone said "wtf no, they go back to the bar." If that's correct (I'm not in a place to test it) then I'm happy to have been wrong since that wipes away my primary complaint about the game.

I'm also wondering why it seems as though everyone I encountered in post-apocalyptic Colorado spoke with a strong Southern accent. As a guy who's lived in the Deep South most of his life and has only briefly passed through modern-day Colorado, I could posit several potential explanations for this, but it goes curiously unremarked-upon in the game. :whistle2:k
The voice acting in general felt pretty uneven to me which was a little surprising since I believe that they made a big deal out of it in the pre-release teases. It wasn't distractingly awful or anything but it wasn't great. I noticed that some of the NPCs seemed to get a male or female line randomly regardless of what their figure looked like -- I assume this was more just lazy coding than any sociopolitical statement.

Sooooooo it took almost an hour to hunt down what system I beat Spelunky on... (PS3/4)  I REALLY loved that game.  So now I have to decide with me likely going PS5 (and skipping Xbox Series X for now) if I want to get Spelunky 2 on Steam (where I didn't beat the first one, even though I somehow own it on Steam) or on the PSx.

I really enjoyed that game.  Early reviews are all good.  If you liked the OG, you'll like the new one.

Buy it and 100% it on both. Duh.

I'm getting it on Steam so these next two weeks will be a whole lot of avoiding any and all videos/streams about the game.
I've avoided spoilers myself. I was just in my head about whether or not having beaten the first one would unlock something in #2 on the same platform.

I'm on the fence about writing reviews at this point. It's starting to feel like masturbating, only less fun and just as depressing. I will just toss this out there: Beyond Blue is good for that subset of you who spend hours of your lives watching David Attenborough documentaries (that's me). It's not much of a game in the sense of doing things to achieve some sort of objective--most of what you do is control a diver and press buttons to interact with objects or scan marine life to collect facts and 3D models you can view back on your submarine. There's a hint of a story, but not much of one to be found and what's there revolves around a mysterious resurgence in leatherback-turtle populations, the lives of a pod of whales, and deep-sea mining operations disturbing marine ecosystems. There are only four characters in the game, and they're all fairly shallow as representations of humanity. The soundtrack will have some decent mileage or none at all--it depends profoundly on your musical tastes. There are also videos that discuss a variety of topics relating to the animals and phenomena that you discover on your meandering dives that you can view on your submarine. It's not a long experience; I completed all the dives in < 10 hours. I bought it at launch for $20, and I thought it was quite worthwhile. 

I'm on the fence about writing reviews at this point. It's starting to feel like masturbating, only less fun and just as depressing. I will just toss this out there: Beyond Blue is good for that subset of you who spend hours of your lives watching David Attenborough documentaries (that's me).
No worries, I bought it because I loved Endless Ocean 1/2. My gripe is that it was too short and that's cataloging all the animals and getting Platinum. But I support games like this (at full price) precisely because I want games like this to exist.

I will get massive flak for this but out of all the apps like Steam, UPlay or whatever it's called and Orgins aka EA Desktop App, Origins actually was the nicest to me in the UI layout and design and also for just running well. Steam runs the worst for sure in the super bloated UI especially for your library. Before I updated my PC I had limited RAM and it ran like poop and crashed even when trying to browse a large library. I prefer the super utilitarian look Steam had before for its library. Not nice to look at but ran OK at least.

Also Warreni and others I actually find the thoughts they have about games the best things on the site. Of course I love it when someone says there's a cool bundle or very strong sale on some good games that haven't gone that low, but the discussion helps a lot in figuring out what to play since there is so many games now it's not even funny.

I will get massive flak for this but out of all the apps like Steam, UPlay or whatever it's called and Orgins aka EA Desktop App, Origins actually was the nicest to me in the UI layout and design and also for just running well. Steam runs the worst for sure in the super bloated UI especially for your library. Before I updated my PC I had limited RAM and it ran like poop and crashed even when trying to browse a large library. I prefer the super utilitarian look Steam had before for its library. Not nice to look at but ran OK at least.

Also Warreni and others I actually find the thoughts they have about games the best things on the site. Of course I love it when someone says there's a cool bundle or very strong sale on some good games that haven't gone that low, but the discussion helps a lot in figuring out what to play since there is so many games now it's not even funny.
I prefer running Steam in its Library with my list of games with no icons or anything. Too long on the load for it to be graphical, given I've got over 2000 games there.

I wish other services could be run that way like Steam - where I have the option, to just show my Library as mostly a big written list of titles without icons to show. I could careless about the graphical box, meta-data, and whatnot...when I'm just looking into jump into my Client-App's Library and just boot up a game. Yes, all the meta-data and graphical stuff's cool - but not in my main Library Box. And switching b/t modes seamlessly (graphical / meta-data and non-graphical) would be much better, if I want to check out hours, time, Achievements, and all of that stuff.

GOG has the right idea w/ Galaxy having a list mode option - but I want one w/out showing tiny icons too. When you have 1000's of games, takes forever to load. Just easier to run and load with just text and what's needed.

I don't know why you'd get flak for this. I've had more issues with Steam than with all over launchers combined, including the dead ones from IndieRoyale and all that. It's just fanboyism. I personally have never had any major issues with Origin or Uplay but Steam fanboys will swear up and down their computers burned up because of it. Meanwhile, not a day goes by where I'm not reminded of Steam's many issues. But I like Steam and my games on there so I put up with it, like we all do.

Anyone else grab the Conan expansion? Decided to bite because it’s the first real expansion with new locations and mobs to my knowledge. Haven’t booted it up yet though.

Steam always worked okay for me though I often keep it off just so I don't have to listen to my platter drives grind as ancient games get updates.  Uplay has been fine.  Origin has been hit-or-miss and given me more hassle than the other major launchers.  GOG Galaxy choked itself on a million itch.io games it can't download or launch anyway (but I guess I share the blame for that).  Insert jokes about Capsule, Impulse, etc here.

Has anyone else here used legendary? Epic launcher sucks so bad that I prefer to download/launch games through a cli and its much faster. I just claim all the free games through the website. Can be kind of a pain to install games to a different drive but once you learn the basic syntax its simple.

bread's done
Back