Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they should have had it be a random booster for a game you own up to two times a day instead of choose the most expensive ones for three cents until you get bored.  Just a thought.

They were making two cents on every bag of gems they sold. So they didn't lose money at all, far from it, they made tons of cash from the frantic emoticon buying some of us did, then the frantic gem buying.

They just didn't think people would craft so many boosters that it would CRASH THE ENTIRE MARKET.

All I can do now is buy boosters and sell them off bit by bit to get some money back.
I doubt the market crashed because people were buying cheap emoticons and trashing items. I'm sure Valve envisioned the market receding a bit due to the initial burn off of items. It seems like the market crashed completely because people were exploiting some glitch that gave them millions of gems and then listing the glitched gems on the market. People are speculating that they might need to rollback these transactions, but I don't see how they can do that.

Valve knew exactly what would happen. Now that card prices have crashed, more and more people are going to craft game badges as well as holiday badges. The sheer increase in number of transactions will outweigh the lower revenue per transactions.

Well... that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't launched while that glitch existed.
Yeah. I believe they expected the market to go down a bit, but not this much.

Now I'm stuck with 360,000 gems I can't sell or trade to my alts. I did the math and I have enough to level up the badges for the games I actually care about... maybe I can make some of this back selling boosters I don't need.

Well... that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't launched while that glitch existed.
Yeah. The timeline was definitely "hey that guy has 5 billion gems" followed by "hey now I can make boosters for any of my games for really cheap".

But even absent that you had F2P games available for booster creation without spending money in-game, which I imagine won't go over so well, and you made all boosters available for 30 cents maximum for as long as the worthless items lasted on the market. Questionable idea executed horrifically.

This just proves my prior point that valve should go back to focusing on the important things...like putting together a good sale.

Or finishing development of a certain game sequel people have been waiting on to drop for about a decade...

(ricochet 2, for all those morons who don't know anything about video games).

Final Haul about 9 bucks, a coupla Foils still on the market and 20,000 gems left.

It probably wasn't worth all the time I put into this all night though.

It looks like they just disabled the Booster maker too.

fuck me!

Now I'm stuck with gems I can't even use. They'd better find a way to convert them back into currency somehow, otherwise I'm done with their stupid card games.

We have to hope that they have some auctions with some ultra-limited stuff like a background or badge that only 1 person can have. Maybe even release an exclusive Half-Life 3 preview to whoever has a billion gems.

Anything to save the economy and clear up all these gems. (Without taking away my 110K gems that I'm getting boosters with.)

The booster creator and gems were intended to be features going forward, so I doubt they totally kill it.  They're probably just going to deactivate until they can ask a grown-up what to do.

I have all of my gems. Of course, I only got mine from salvaging stuff. And only have 320.
I got mine (about 2,000 or so) from recycling unwanted emoticons and they're all gone now. I guess that sucks, but really, I'm only out crap that I was looking to throw away anyway.

I kinda feel a little bit bad for those who lost a lot of money. But mostly, I just find it funny.

I started ragecrafting badges, got a foil I sold for 80 (70) cents right away.

I'm tempted to sell all my holiday cards and be done with this.

So....has the card market crashed and better to continue to hold onto my cards, or time to start selling them off?

Still bit confused what all happened, guess what I get for cheating on the PC with the TV.

By all means, keep us updated.
Allright, then.

I started ragecrafting all the badges I had. This left me with tons of holiday cards. I crafted one level of the badge ... then decided to sell the rest. I started listing one by one but it would take a while so I found an auto listing Greasemonkey script, then proceeded to mass list everything.

AND I JUST GOT THE MONEY I SPENT PLUS TWENTY DOLLARS BACK IN PURE CARD PROFIT.

I've been up for two hours longer than I should have so I'mmagosleepnowkthxbai

I work late, miss all the action and my thoughts on this thread while catching up[customspoiler=...]
mHM3DMk.gif
[/customspoiler]

I checked this thread before I went to bed. I've now caught up as I'm sat at work enjoying a tea-break. Given that I knew nothing of gems until half an hour ago, I've gone through the following:

Excitement
Wonder
Confusion
Sadness
Jealousy
Rage
Denial
More rage
Hysteria
Incredulity
Amazement
Hilarity
Acceptance

God knows what state I'll be in when I get home in six hours time, but those 125 badges I have ready to be crafted are looking at me with some funny eyes right now.

So I was asleep when the whole auction/gems thing went on.

Am I right in saying...?

• Many of Steam's games were put up to auction and odds are, winners for good games would be hoarders or those who spend all their wages on Steam cards/events.
  • All the junk in your inventory could be converted in to gems with items having different values - not necessarily a ratio between card price and gems awarded.
Did I do the right thing by being unconscious and ignoring it all? :)

So I was asleep when the whole auction/gems thing went on.

Am I right in saying...?

• Many of Steam's games were put up to auction and odds are, winners for good games would be hoarders or those who spend all their wages on Steam cards/events.
  • All the junk in your inventory could be converted in to gems with items having different values - not necessarily a ratio between card price and gems awarded.
Did I do the right thing by being unconscious and ignoring it all? :)
Same here. I don't know if I should be glad or frustrated that I was asleep when the whole shenanigans happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back