Stranglehold - Gen. Discussion & Info

This game is hella fun to play. Like an over the top B Hong Kong action flick. I'm a big fan of precision aiming and then shooting them in the dick.

I'll rent it - there are too many problems for me to commit to a purchase.

-I hate that whenever I get within 5 feet of a low surface, he automatically slides. This would be cool if there were lots of long counter tops or something, but right now it amounts to him jankily sliding for less than a second, unable to get any good shots in before the surface ends. Either that or I have to resort to repeatedly sliding back and forth over the same 2 feet of surface, which is stupid.

-Level design contributes itself to more enemies coming up behind you. Same problem I had in Rainbow Six Vegas - you'll set up behind cover, or in the case of this game, slide along a banister or something, only to have an enemy come up behind you. In vegas you die all the time because of it since you die with a few shots, but in Stranglehold I found that you don't die, you just can't figure out where the hell you're getting shot from, because there's so much shit blowing up around you. It can get too chaotic when you're surrounded by enemies and exploding shit.

-Tequila Time doesn't slow down time enough, but that may just be a personal gripe.

-Unstable framerate

-Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not able to consistently L-Trigger boost off of walls, even walls I know you can do it off of. So lots of times I'll run up to a wall, only to jam on the trigger, and sit there and get shot.

-Similarly, cover mechanic is inconsistent; sometimes it triggers, sometimes it doesn't. Then again, cover is pretty much useless anyways.

In the video it shows at the end of the demo, it seems the level designs as you progress later in the game get more "set-up" for good strings of stunts, instead of the level in the demo which consists of you running around in circles doing the same two stunts as you get surrounded.

"Meh". I was disappointed. This went from my buy list to my rental list.

Cool that there are a lot of good impressions from this game. I'll be grabbing the PS3 CE since the game seems like it will deliver from what you guys are saying.

can anyone say max payne 3? This game feels like a max payne port with added features like blowing stuff up and teh special slow mo abilities. Fun for a bit with the shoot-em up style with a hint of a plot. the game will be extremely repetitive don't expect otherwise.

[quote name='seen']can anyone say max payne 3? This game feels like a max payne port with added features like blowing stuff up and teh special slow mo abilities. Fun for a bit with the shoot-em up style with a hint of a plot. the game will be extremely repetitive don't expect otherwise.[/QUOTE]

max payne invented slow-mo bullet time!!! :)

[quote name='slickkill77']This game is awesome. I will rent this after i rent bioshock[/QUOTE]

For some reason, whenever I see your avatar, I always confuse you for regalsin.

"Don't send anyone else, they'll just get in my way". Had a lot of fun with the demo. I know it will get repetitive doing the moves over and over, but Max Payne was the same way and I had a blast all through both of those games. While the characters may have that slightly plastic look, the cutscenes were well done.

[quote name='Scorch']This will be the perfect rental. I hate how he automatically slides over everything. Oh well.
[/quote]

argee with you 100% on both parts, Was a pretty fun demo and looked great
maybe pick this one up cheap

Wow the demo was fun! Totally beyond my expectations. Don't think I'll buy it, but it seems like a must rent just to see all the cool stuff that they show in the trailer. Also, multiplayer seems very intriguing.

I like it so far. It was a little annoying when he started sliding on everything, but I got use to it. Definetly love the percision shooting and the part when you are in first person mode (sort of) and you have to doge the bullets.

Favorite part of the demo was when i shot a gas tank and the explosion shoved an enemy right into a pillar and the pillar just crumbled. Made my day, lol.

I found a pair of golden guns after the 3rd check point, anyone else find it?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I found a pair of golden guns after the 3rd check point, anyone else find it?[/QUOTE]

Are they the ones you have to run up a pole to find?

If the PS3 version is this good, or better, I'll buy the CE on that console. Otherwise, I'll probably buy this one when the price falls.

This game is amazing. This is my type of game, Midway has a winner with this one!!! This is perfect for the old-school gamer that loves arcade style games:applause:

The demo was fun, if it were on yourfree360games id get it but since its not ill have to wait it out or borrow it from a friend

i been waiting so long to play it and i finally play it. and i enjoyed it. cant wait to get the game. just seems like alot of fun. i think the graphics are great too

Well since I consider Max Payne 1 and 2 one of the greatest of games to grace the XBox, I can surely give this game a "Hell yeah!".

Unfortunately It's not as smooth as Max Payne 2 was in control, but I'm sure the rough edges will be cleaned out by release.

Also the story is going to need a lot of work if It's going to compare to Noir Max Payne was in terms of story.

I'm gonna wait on reviews and see how this pans out, but this is a must down the road when it reaches bargain status.

As expected it wasn't that great. I didn't care much for the atmosphere or level design and there was there were no breaks in the action (reloading is an important part of any action game or movie). Plus all the running and sliding on poles, carts, and counters felt tacked on and poorly done. All the flying debris everywhere didn't add anything to the game and just got in the way.

This is coming from someone who thinks Max Payne 2 is the best game ever made, this was just a bad clone.

[quote name='deadite76']Are they the ones you have to run up a pole to find?[/quote]

[quote name='zewone']I find the golden guns behind a breakable door.[/quote]

Yea, those were the ones I found. I wonder why they didn't have any gernades in the demo. I saw that the button scheme had a "throw gernade" button (B), but no gernades :roll:

[quote name='PenguinMaster']reloading is an important part of any action game or movie[/quote] Not a John Woo movie! ;)

OK. I played it it some more. I must have this. It seems like the ultimate game to play whenever you need to kill some time. I'll get the collector's edition. I nabbed the display standee tonight.

You get a free shot glass if you order at Game Crazy. I'm going to preorder like 8 copies. I want shot glasses!

The press release we received at work says the collector's edition has the film and game on one disc. The 360 version has behind the scenes, extended cinematic cut scenes, insider's look at sound design, concept art, and a visit to the MTV studio.

I liked it, I can see it getting really repetitive though. Probably a rental. My biggest complaint is that it looks to be linear thus far, and no reloading.

But, the multiplayer looks awesome.

Also, just one of those things... but this game would probably be about 10x cooler if you could kick/punch/do martial arts too.

[quote name='lordwow']... but this game would probably be about 10x cooler if you could kick/punch/do martial arts too.[/quote]

Rise to Honor on the ps2 (but mostly just fighting and very little gun fights)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']ehh, other than shooting people in the dick I don't like this game[/quote]

lol

The ONLY thing that this game doesn't have that I would love it to have.. when you zoom in, it'd be badass if you could shoot the gun out of an enemy's hand. Other than that, the reactions and ragdoll physics are amazing

I was trying to shoot a guy in the dick with my shotgun, but while I was zooming in, he turned around and I ended up shooting him in the ass. You guys have to try putting some buckshot in a guy's ass at least once, just for their reaction.

[quote name='lordwow']I liked it, I can see it getting really repetitive though. Probably a rental. My biggest complaint is that it looks to be linear thus far, and no reloading.

But, the multiplayer looks awesome.

Also, just one of those things... but this game would probably be about 10x cooler if you could kick/punch/do martial arts too.[/quote] Personally I like a Better Tomorrow 1 and 2. Hard Boiled is good. City on fire has it's moments. he's newer stuff like Face Off and MI:2 are good choices also

[quote name='Liquid 2']Anyone else not see it in the marketplace? I went to the demos section and it wasn't there :whistle2:(.[/quote]

did you try the "new arrivals" section?

[quote name='shadylane']is this on the ps3 yet?[/quote]
Nope. In addition, the PS3 version of the game comes out a full 21 days later than the 360/PC versions. But hey, PS3 folk get Hard Boiled in HD if you nab the collectors edition, so in the end they win.

I played the demo today and probably wouldn't have liked it if it weren't for the part where everything slows down and you can guide a bullet right into the junk of an enemy. That ruled.

just played thru the demo 4x in a row. u get more stuff each time and unlock the harder modes. im enjoying this game. cant wait to get it.

[quote name='Scorch']did you try the "new arrivals" section?[/QUOTE]Ah, it was there all along. I didn't realize that it was prefixed by "John Woo presents..."

[quote name='Scorch']OK. I played it it some more. I must have this. It seems like the ultimate game to play whenever you need to kill some time. I'll get the collector's edition. I nabbed the display standee tonight.

You get a free shot glass if you order at Game Crazy. I'm going to preorder like 8 copies. I want shot glasses!

The press release we received at work says the collector's edition has the film and game on one disc. The 360 version has behind the scenes, extended cinematic cut scenes, insider's look at sound design, concept art, and a visit to the MTV studio.[/QUOTE]

so wait does that mean the 360 version has the movie with it too? or just the ps3 version?

bread's done
Back