Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Can you tell me how to block Blanka's Ultra? That shit destroys me.[/quote]

Hold back? A lot of you need to learn to block high and not just low. Pretty sure his ultra hits high so you can just block it.

Wow i just found out by accident that you can hold triple punch or triple kick buttons with balrog, then hold back, forward, back, forward, then release the button and it does his ultra. LOL Not sure if this makes it any easier, but never knew that.

Right now i cant seem to create a lobby. Servers are too busy?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow i just found out by accident that you can hold triple punch or triple kick buttons with balrog, then hold back, forward, back, forward, then release the button and it does his ultra. LOL Not sure if this makes it any easier, but never knew that.

Right now i cant seem to create a lobby. Servers are too busy?[/quote]

Thats called a buffer. That's been around since SF 2 (maybe 1). I actually mentioned it many pages ago in this thread too.

[quote name='mike.m']Hold back? A lot of you need to learn to block high and not just low. Pretty sure his ultra hits high so you can just block it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty good at blocking both high and low, just couldn't figure it this one out. I was thinking I may have to block high for his initial jump then block low for the roll. But if it's just high, I'll try it on the next Blanka I face. I never get a chance to practice on a Blanka, so when I actually face one then it's more of a natural reaction to try to block the roll low.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Can you tell me how to block Blanka's Ultra? That shit destroys me.[/QUOTE]it hits low when it comes out, turns into an overhead when it jumps, then hits mid as it rolls.

basically, block low, then block high.

they actually made a song about Blanka's Ultra

http://www.iplaywinner.com/strategy...-iv-ultimate-blanka-guide-feat-lil-shoto.html

I highly recommend u listen.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow i just found out by accident that you can hold triple punch or triple kick buttons with balrog, then hold back, forward, back, forward, then release the button and it does his ultra. LOL Not sure if this makes it any easier, but never knew that.[/QUOTE]FYI, that is NOT a buffer... a buffer is when you input a command before the command comes out.

what you described is referred to as Negative Edge, it means that you can execute a special or super move upon a button's release.

when you do a hadouken motion and press and release punch, the game actually registers two inputs for the punch.

that's why in 3S and ST people "piano" their button inputs when linking into supers, i.e. strum their fingers over all 3 punch or kick buttons following the directional command, becoz it gives them six chances for the move to come out under strict timing

[quote name='greyzieoriental']I'm pretty good at blocking both high and low, just couldn't figure it this one out. I was thinking I may have to block high for his initial jump then block low for the roll. But if it's just high, I'll try it on the next Blanka I face. I never get a chance to practice on a Blanka, so when I actually face one then it's more of a natural reaction to try to block the roll low.[/quote]

You were right, you have to block high on the first hit because it acts as an overhead. Once he's on the ground you have to block low.

what jekki said in youtube form. i used this guide for learning nega edge. it has even more on kara throwing and all that.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyDIoDu5mPc[/media]

Is there some shortcut to doing ultras for other chars like abel or sakura where you do the qcf qcb stuff? The super I can usually do, but pressing all three buttons is harder on the controller with the L trigger.
I read about the shortcut for shoryukens by going F-DF-D-DF then attacking. Can do em non-stop now and its great :D Increased my win percentage by 10% yesterday by winning about 13-14/20 matches

I just got my 10 win streak! Woo! Currently on a 15 match win streak, lol. Fei Long is awesome...then I use Abel for a few characters that seem to be easier to beat with him. I was a 20% win loss at 55 matches played, now im 41% with about 90 matches :D I can see online getting boring though soon...I guess eventually you actually have to play in tournaments and stuff if you really wanna be a pro :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, i faced Ken 25% of the time in my last 142 matches, the bottom 18 characters combined i went against 26% of the time. Put that in perspective.

142 matches total

36 Ken
17 Ryu
15 Sagat
11 Akuma
11 Sakura
9 Blanka
6 Fei Long
5 Zangief
4 Chun Li
4 Honda
3 Cammy
3 Balrog
3 Dhalsim
2 Dan
2 Guile
2 Rose
2 Bison
2 Gouken
2 Viper
1 El Fuerte
1 Vega
1 Gen
0 Seth
0 Abel
0 Rufus

Man today has been terrible for getting matches online. I try to create a ranked lobby and no one joins. So i try to challenge through arcade mode and half the time i see the icon (assuming that means someone is waiting) so i try to rush and get the stupid match over with and they leave before i finish it half the time. With 30 second matches. Plus it sucks when i keep playing the same guy. I really hope they patch this match making system because its not the best.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Man today has been terrible for getting matches online. I try to create a ranked lobby and no one joins. So i try to challenge through arcade mode and half the time i see the icon (assuming that means someone is waiting) so i try to rush and get the stupid match over with and they leave before i finish it half the time. With 30 second matches. Plus it sucks when i keep playing the same guy. I really hope they patch this match making system because its not the best.[/quote]

http://kotaku.com/5168574/is-xbox-live-is-down-for-you

And I don't think that's how arcade requests work. When you turn requests on it'll appear as a FIGHT REQ. lobby when other people search for matches. Then anyone can join at any moment and interrupt your arcade match. If no one joins before you finish an arcade match with an AI opponent then it'll search for someone elses lobby and automatically join it before you start fighting the next AI opponent. You can tell when this happens if you start on the right side after A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING /insertchallengermusic. edit: It's not possible for an opponent to be "waiting" for you to finish before being able to play with you. The moment a player joins your game you get the A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING message and you are taken to the lobby.

[quote name='bs000']http://kotaku.com/5168574/is-xbox-live-is-down-for-you

And I don't think that's how arcade requests work. When you turn requests on it'll appear as a FIGHT REQ. lobby when other people search for matches. Then anyone can join at any moment and interrupt your arcade match. If no one joins before you finish an arcade match with an AI opponent then it'll search for someone elses lobby and automatically join it before you start fighting the next AI opponent. You can tell when this happens if you start on the right side after A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING /insertchallengermusic. edit: It's not possible for an opponent to be "waiting" for you to finish before being able to play with you. The moment a player joins your game you get the A NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING message and you are taken to the lobby.[/quote]

Really? Cos the little icon is there, and then sometimes not there. Plus ive only gotten new challengers while they showed the 2 characters vs screen.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Really? Cos the little icon is there, and then sometimes not there. Plus ive only gotten new challengers while they showed the 2 characters vs screen.[/quote]

well, it was broken last nite, cuz i had my online enabled and usually get bombarded by new challengers, but last nite i was able to finish unlocking both akuma and gouken..hehe. i guess there's an upside to the broken xbox live...

[quote name='The 7th Number']Really? Cos the little icon is there, and then sometimes not there. Plus ive only gotten new challengers while they showed the 2 characters vs screen.[/quote]

The manual says that the little green icon just means fight requests are on. It always disappears at the end of an AI match until you leave the results screen. When it disappears it means no one can join. I've had it disappear on me in the middle of an AI match I don't know why it does that.

[quote name='Mrcapcom']Im not the best of people when it comes to SF but I want to get better anyone want to be my sempai?
Game is really sweet though[/quote]

I suck, so i sent you a request. I only win about 30% of the time.

PS i dont use a mic.

[quote name='lolwut?']I just fought someone online who chose Seth.

Who the fuck uses Seth[/quote]

Am I missing something? Whats wrong with Seth? He can be a very good character, but he takes a crapload of damage. I'm not brave enough to use him in Ranked matches yet because you can just be devastated by the most minimal of moves real quick.

I'm always down to play with people, just send me a friend request. Weekends are the best time for me usually. I'm trying to finish up Force Unleashed so I may be unavailable through tomorrow.

Just send me a request and an invite and I'll let ya know whats up.

[quote name='mike.m']Am I missing something? Whats wrong with Seth? He can be a very good character, but he takes a crapload of damage. I'm not brave enough to use him in Ranked matches yet because you can just be devastated by the most minimal of moves real quick.[/quote]

You're missing the fact that no one uses him. Outside of the usual Ken/Ryu/Akuma, I've seen Cammy, Abel, Sagat, Balrog, Blanka, and now Dhalism.

NO ONE uses Seth

EDIT: Speaking of rage quit, I just scored a perfect on this kid using Crimson Viper and he left with the quickness

[quote name='lolwut?']You're missing the fact that no one uses him. Outside of the usual Ken/Ryu/Akuma, I've seen Cammy, Abel, Sagat, Balrog, Blanka, and now Dhalism.

NO ONE uses Seth

EDIT: Speaking of rage quit, I just scored a perfect on this kid using Crimson Viper and he left with the quickness[/quote]

I'm practicing with him, but I'd only use him in player matches. He just takes too much damage and doesn't deal enough unless you can do combos that use his multiple hitting special moves. Even his ultra doesn't do squat.

Wow the search feature in SFIV is fantastic. I mean 80% of the people they list are not joinable. Just what i look for in a match making system.

I dunno if its just a really really bad day or my controller is losing it. I swear i try to pull off moves today and they just arent coming out as planned. I swear this game has blocking issues too. There are times where it seems no matter how long im holding back for, the move still hits me sometimes.

The matchmaking system is pretty terrible...but I'm not sure if thats my crappy connection or not. Lately I've been doing quick matches and after about 8-10 searches on average I can usually get in a game. Not bad...think I played 15 matches in an hour...could be ALOT better though. This is a very fast quick search though...other games it takes awile with the quick search or it tries to join you to a random match and fails. This one at least displays 3 rooms you can join.

Capcom is making DLC content for a tournament set up and also should have rooms and the quarter system set up. Which means all us CAGs can get a room and start to get some matches together. its the only thing that i liked about DOA was to able to watch matches and just talk and chill while your waiting your turn. I made a good amount of Live Friends because of that.

anyway ill probably be on later to hit up some player matches. just hit up the request. i know i got most of you on my list. but they need to get this quarter system up and running so we all can have a designated CAG SF IV Night and maybe holdy a weekly tournament.

Awesome that'll be intense...I know I'll be watching quite a bit more than playing if theres a CAG tourney :lol:

One thing I need to get down is when do I actually start moving the joystick to start a special move. Can I do it in the air? While I'm knocked down? During a normal punch? It just doesn't always work how I want it to xD

Xbox Live was having problems with matchmaking today. So it wasn't just SF4. I usually have no problems finding a match in SF4 but today while searching for matches it kept coming up with rooms that were no longer there and then when I searched again it'd keep coming up with the same broken rooms. And sometimes it would show one user as having 2 or even 3 open rooms. None of them were joinable of course. After awhile I could remember the names of all the hosts whose rooms were broken and chose to join the 1 or 2 names I didn't recognize. It was fun.

Hey, that's precisely what I was doing. Glad its not my connection then, even though it bites. I could get into Carcassone just fine still though :lol:

Just got this game, would like to play anyone interested. I'm a total scrub, and will probably only use Ken/Ryu and El Fuerte, since I like him.

I'm a glutton for punishment. You'll most likely win every match and I'll still keep playing, like a whore you don't have to look in the eye.

Fun!

Ugh seriously how do you do the ^V> moves quickly and consistently...this game is pretty tough. The only way I got a 20 win streak was by catching people off guard with fei long and chicken wings followed by a sweep kick as they get up :lol: It's getting stale though doing the same thing every fight to win...I'd like to figure out how to actually use some combos rather than normal attacks all the time.

[quote name='Spades22']Ugh seriously how do you do the ^V> moves quickly and consistently...this game is pretty tough. The only way I got a 20 win streak was by catching people off guard with fei long and chicken wings followed by a sweep kick as they get up :lol: It's getting stale though doing the same thing every fight to win...I'd like to figure out how to actually use some combos rather than normal attacks all the time.[/quote]

Do the trials for Fei Long then. :)

So who do you guys hate going against? I mean characters you generally hate. Not because someone picks them all the time, or spams moves with them.

Blanka, people always use that slide move on the ground that gets me. Plus i usually use Balrog so when i cant shoot fireballs at Blanka it just makes it even harder for me to beat him.

Vega, I cant seem to get a good grasp on how to beat this guy. He is all over the air, and i thought you block his ultra by ducking but that doesnt always seem to be the case.

El Fuerte, Same reason as Vega, he is all over the place. Jumping off walls, and running around.

E.Honda, just because he is really tough. lol

Zangief, he is a tough character for me to beat. With that spinning move that almost beats any move in the game. Another character i suck against if i dont have fireballs. And even when i do, i have to pray for a win. Plus you cant block grabs too easy.

[quote name='mike.m']Do the trials for Fei Long then. :)[/quote]

They're hard to do on my SDTV though....the text is unreadable. Is there some guide that lists these or something?

[quote name='Spades22']They're hard to do on my SDTV though....the text is unreadable. Is there some guide that lists these or something?[/quote]

You can press the back button and it will show icons.

Or go here and down a little it will show the trials.

Ya I press back and even the arrows are too tiny. I've been using that site for awhile...the problem is most but not all of the names of the moves are on that site, so its still tough. But I guess if I really want to work on it, I could like google every move or something lol

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Is there a way to block a crouching HK? Also pretty funny that about 90% of online players all pick Ken.[/QUOTE]

which is why is getting boring to play online. Half of the them dont even use him to his fullest potential. I fought atleast 5 different players using ken...and they played all the same and relied on heavy SRK to break anything.

hold down back...?

I try and hold back but every time break my guard. This is only when I face a Ryu or a Ken. Ah well. Was trying really hard to make viper my main but Cammy is way better. :D

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Is there a way to block a crouching HK? Also pretty funny that about 90% of online players all pick Ken.[/quote]

Im starting to think that some peoples selection screen really looks like this....LOL
Choose your fighter!

kenroster2.jpg

[quote name='Darkchaos91']I try and hold back but every time break my guard. This is only when I face a Ryu or a Ken. Ah well. Was trying really hard to make viper my main but Cammy is way better. :D[/quote]

Uh then they can't be doing a crouching HK. It has to be something else.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']I try and hold back but every time break my guard. This is only when I face a Ryu or a Ken. Ah well. Was trying really hard to make viper my main but Cammy is way better. :D[/quote]
It's not just back. You have to hold down and back; crouch block.

[quote name='slam09']It's not just back. You have to hold down and back; crouch block.[/quote]

I just realized that he said back and not down/back. All I gotta say is...read the manual! :)

Does anyone know what parts I need to swap out the ball top stick in the tournament edition to a bat top stick? I've heard lizardlick mentioned on sites before. Anyone have any other sites?

bread's done
Back