Super CAG Fighter Thread XXIIII - The New Challengers Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='depascal22']I just picked up DOA4. Anyone need some easy wins so I can get a little competetion?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'll be home on Thursday and I have spring break next week, so I've got time to learn you your place.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yes. I'll be home on Thursday and I have spring break next week, so I've got time to learn you your place.[/QUOTE]

Damn Kasumi..

Kinda OT, but who here is picking up TMNT on XBLA? If anyone is picking it up and wants to play it today before 6 PM EST, hit me up (AIM = KillJimFoley).

no... Taiwanese too.

they're actually the only dudes I see playing that shit.

anyway check this out:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8ajdNRapk[/media]

MVC2 tourney match w/ Soo Mighty using servbot!!

[quote name='JEKKI']check it out, here's an article about fighting games,

mostly having to do with racial issues and Justin Wong:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/88/16

the article is actually pretty bad, especially near the end.

the writer is obviously talking out of his ass[/QUOTE]

especially when he calls him "Justin Fong." He's trying to say that when Justin plays MVC2, he's Asian and when he plays 3rd Strike, he's American?

How about when he plays MvC2, he's that guy who doesn't lose ever so people cheer for the underdog and when he plays Japan's best at 3rd strike, he's still that bastard who wins at MvC2, but is now representing the U.S. at 3rd Strike. I'm sticking my neck out a bit since I've never been to Evo, but I can't imagine people are choosing who to cheer for based on race. Anyone care to comment on that? :lol:

I think the writer dug so deep that he missed the point of competition entirely. sure, there was some American nationalism involved in the crowd at 3rd Strike...just like we cheer for U.S. teams in the olympics :roll: he made some interesting observations about how players are described though.

At EVO events... ppl usually cheer for Japan(in the past) lol... some ppl even boo'd Justin as he turtled versus Daigo... lately though, since the move to Vegas, the US pride train seems to be picking up steam...

*has been going to EVO before it was called EVO* :)

AMERICA fuck YEA

How did I know the writer of that article was from UC Berkeley....

As an "Asian-American" fighting game player, I am offended by that article because of it's sheer ignorance and stupidity. My mind is blown that someone actually took the time to write that. The fact that the writer tries to sprinkle random bits of world history into the article, attempting to make some link, is fucking ridiculous.

This is the first time I've ever heard the race card in any form brought into fighting games, competitive or not. Yes, we all have grown up around arcades and the fighting games that used to fill them up. Yes, we were very well aware of our dominant and not so dominant usual players. Yes, we all remember putting up a quarter..."I got next". That entire part of my life, growing up around fighting games, arcades and competition still and always will feel like yesterday to me.

Every fighting game scene has Asian players in it. Are they good? Sure, but I know a whole lot that aren't. I know a lot of Asian gamers that hate fighting games or play them casually. Fighting game fans come in all different ethnicities, sizes, genders, ages and the like. Which is why I love the genre so much. Sure there are the "stereotypical" fighting game fans, but for the most part I constantly run into people playing CVS2 at the local arcade near my GF's place, that all look different. Novices, Pro's, Tournament players, a couple looking to play CVS2 for fun, the mix is there.

For him to try a draw a comparison about people hating JWong and booing him because of his race or his dominance over his "non-Asian" competitors, is just downright stupid and lame. If I knew I could get into UC Berkeley with random thesis' like that, I would've applied there first. The idea that he could pick out all the players locations depending on their race is even more silly. If you've ever been to Berkeley you know the school is littered with Asian students. The school offers the most variety in our area when it comes to majors and is one of the top schools in the Bay. Hell, I wanted to go there and get my Buddhist Art History degree there. I know white folks that lived in Oakland. I know asian kids that live outside Berkeley. I know black people that live in my county. For him to say that a certain race should ONLY live in a certain area in the Bay, implying that only poor blacks live in Oakland or that rich Asians live in Berkeley is so stupid it makes me want to throw up on myself.

Out of my fighting game crew most of the games are covered. But by this writer's theory I must be making up some sort of dream land group of friends I hang with.

The best Tekken player in my crew? A white guy
The best Guilty Gear player in my crew? A white guy
The best CVS/MVC2 player in my crew? Asian guy

etc..etc.. you get the point.

Why are people booing JWong? Simple. A lot of those people in the audience like to cheer for underdogs. They like to find faults in the players that CONSTANTLY are top tier in their game and always find some way to make it to the finals. We shouldn't boo them, we should encourage them. The fighting game scene (though a relationship with a ghost) is constantly evolving within it's strong communities, so it's always hard to stay on top. I give the best Tekken, DOA, CVS2, MVC2, GGX, and so on players much respect because once you are on top, everyone wants your head and you have to fight to stay there.

People hating on you isn't because of your race, it's because you are on top. I remember posting here about my 3rd place finish in a CVS2 tournament not too long ago (Thanks for the tourney Kris!!). The person I had worked with at the time would not stop talking shit about how he could beat me, that the whole thing was a fluke. Did he do it because I was Asian and as a White male he had to put me in my place? No. He did it because he was cocky and of course when some people hear you are on top, they have to smile and try to knock you down.

No shit players from Japan are so good, is it because they are Asian? How about the fact that arcades still run rampant in that country? How about the fact that fighting games are STILL coming out there in arcades and on consoles? How about the fact that the genre is still hot and is still highly competitive? How about they don't start their sentences with..."Oh..yea..I remember in 10th grade I played 3S". Huh? I just played it 2 days ago. Fighting games have become too nostalgic for the general public.

It's up to us fighting game fans to keep it alive, keep it strong, keep it dominant.

It's people exactly like the guy who wrote the article that do their own part to tear things down one brick at a time.

P.S- Sorry for the long post. I love my fightin' games :)

I think the writer was really trying to sound smarter than he actually is? Race being a factor in how you play? I really fucking doubt it. At least, it has never once determined how I play against somebody... in the matches of DOA 4 I played against Apossum, it wasn't whether he was black or white, it was that he was a fag that made me hate him.

That was a long as fuckin' hell post, Asian, but... actually a lot more worthwhile than the article. As for the historical bits -- he was throwing those around to sound smart. Bringing up the Yellow Peril for example... that was World War I rather than WWII and I hardly believe anyone sees Justin Wong as a threat to the West's prosperity. Unless they're a cunt.

yeah, that article sucked.

people generally don't like justin because he wins. there is no other reason. when you're on top, you're a target... it has nothing to do with the way he plays. it isn't just mvc2, but he's made a good name for himself in 3s and in cvs2.

ironically, he compares justin wong vs daigo to an "american vs. asian" battle, that asians are methodical and americans are snazzy risk takers. people liked daigo and still do because of the way he plays, lots of comebacks and psychic DPs and things that generally shouldn't work but do... a lot of his videos have his 3s ken doing random c.mk into shoryuken, but they almost always connect. so really, daigo is the aggressive risk-taker in that match.

and i don't want to hear about how daigo was really the american in this match because he played an american ken vs the asian chun. :roll:

this kinda intelligent-wanna be crap is why i hated taking some of my humanities in college. uuuugh.

[quote name='Chacrana']That was a long as fuckin' hell post, Asian, but... actually a lot more worthwhile than the article.[/QUOTE]

Sorry :)

I always get fired up when people play the race card, or throw it around randomly. Throw in fighting games (my fave genre) and you have one pissy individual.

Dude you whoop me in DOA4 now...does that mean you have put your foot in the ass of both Vietnam and Laos? WHITE DOMINATION

Kainzero....stuff like that is why I hate going to my college GE classes in general. Everyone thinks that just because it is college you can't be wrong. I run into most people like that who are just fresh out of high school, who think college is an oppurtunity to show off their untapped genius. It's sort of lame. Just because you can back a really BAD thesis with random unrelated facts and fallacies doesn't make the arguement intelligent nor correct.

True that, Asian. Take comfort in the fact taht chances are that you'll be somewhere in 5 years and they probably won't be.

Anyway - anyone need a 3s soundtrack? I got an extra when I bougth the Anniversary Collection off a fellow CAG for 5 dollars. Post up and if more than 1 person wants it, I'll host a mini-contest.

for all fighter people: whoever downloaded TMNT 1989 from the XBLA today we have to get a game going on today. I'll be home in about an hour or so so look for me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']for all fighter people: whoever downloaded TMNT 1989 from the XBLA today we have to get a game going on today. I'll be home in about an hour or so so look for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm down. What time's this gonna go down?

[quote name='Ahadi']I can do around like 9:30/10ish.

If this goes down, shotgun Donatello! No blitz! :lol:[/QUOTE]

wtf would you want Donatello for? Fighting game newb indeed :lol:

[quote name='Chacrana']wtf would you want Donatello for? Fighting game newb indeed :lol:[/QUOTE]

He's my favorite turtle :whistle2:D

So is this still going down, or did I miss the boat?

And why do you say Donatello ftl?

[quote name='Chacrana']Donatello wears purple and has a giant stick that he clearly shoves up his ass.[/QUOTE]

Jim and I noticed something else very strange about him once you save april in the game...???

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Jim and I noticed something else very strange about him once you save april in the game...???[/QUOTE]

If you liked it and Jim didn't, I can probably guess. :lol:

[quote name='Chacrana']Donatello wears purple and has a giant stick that he clearly shoves up his ass.[/QUOTE]

Point made.

But that can't undo the childhood innocence of not knowing what people make of the color purple. And I'm not talking about the book or that bad Whoopi Goldberg movie.

And Rolento, if you're still down for Turtles @ 10:45, send me an XBL message or something.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm in love with Sakura/Chun-li, Hibiki, and Ryu in N-groove. I've considered repurchasing a regular xbox just to play this online..if I could find one for $50 or less, I'd do it.

I could believe it-- he would crash the PS3 if he were in 5! Either that or the sweat affects would cause too much glare in the sunny stages :lol:[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the physics of said body type compared to the others. Supposedly Sega uses the same body type for all the characters. With Ganryu they had to make an exception.

[quote name='Ahadi']Point made.

But that can't undo the childhood innocence of not knowing what people make of the color purple. And I'm not talking about the book or that bad Whoopi Goldberg movie.

And Rolento, if you're still down for Turtles @ 10:45, send me an XBL message or something.[/QUOTE]

I'm down for it, but approve me as a friend in the mean time so I can actually send you something.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm down for it, but approve me as a friend in the mean time so I can actually send you something.[/QUOTE]

Done and done. I'm gonna leave my xbox on, but I'll be away. I'm gonna head back to it at 10:40.

Anyone else want to get in on this? 2 more people, for 2 more turtles :D

[quote name='Ahadi']Done and done. I'm gonna leave my xbox on, but I'll be away. I'm gonna head back to it at 10:40.

Anyone else want to get in on this? 2 more people, for 2 more turtles :D[/QUOTE]

I sent you a friend request. There shall be turtle violence in mere days.

[quote name='Sarang01']I was referring to the physics of said body type compared to the others. Supposedly Sega uses the same body type for all the characters. With Ganryu they had to make an exception.[/QUOTE]

Ganryu?

lol.

I'm gonna get TMNT tomorrow when I'm not lazy...

:)

damn Turtles make me wanna get an xbox...

but in spirit, here are sum match videos for SNES turtles:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKQMBs5Wi0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq53HnGTl3k[/media]

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']They used the sf2 engine?

Shredder played kinda like bison in the video.[/QUOTE]

armgon played like Dhalsim...

good game though. I forgot how fun it was even with the ridiculous characters.

I'm taking my dreamcast to school tommorow since i have a 5 hour gap between classes... I did the same thing last thursday but with my PS2... for some reason Urban reign is always a huge hit. And for some reason, I'm very proud of that.

I got the highest score in my (Vero Beach Division) Blocbuster Tournament with TMNT Tournament Fighters and I remember I did damn good in Clay Fighter. But I wasn't good enough in NBA JAM.

I used War:
Ninja_Turtles_07_War.gif

They should've made it like a real tournament, when you fight other people, not the computer.

[quote name='asianxcore'] Kainzero....stuff like that is why I hate going to my college GE classes in general. Everyone thinks that just because it is college you can't be wrong. I run into most people like that who are just fresh out of high school, who think college is an oppurtunity to show off their untapped genius. It's sort of lame. Just because you can back a really BAD thesis with random unrelated facts and fallacies doesn't make the arguement intelligent nor correct.[/quote]
yeah. i had that whole thing going on in a GE class i hated the most, communications. we would have to read something, and then people in class would have these "bs" revelations about the text and make issues out of nothing and act like they were awesome because of it. they would also try to use big vocabulary to sound more intelligent. -_-; in fact, it's exactly like that article.

i want a dreamcast... again. my old one broke for some reason that i never figured out. i want to play some mvc2 again...

I think people boo Justin Wong because he turtles too much. Seeing him play 3s at Evo was extremely painful. The guy literally does not move one inch forward. And while some might have that mentality of win at any cost it doesn't win you much fanfare in the fg community. Also it doesn't help that he's from that gaming cult empire arcadia:lol::lol:

[quote name='asianxcore']*HUGE ASS POST ABOUT FIGHTING GAMES[/QUOTE]

dude! Change all the 3rd person words into 2nd person and send that post to the writer. He needs to hear it. :)

Kainzero,

Those kind of people are way too common in the JC, State and UC systems. I think teachers need to do their job in discouraging that type of thinking. I have had teachers that stretch to make students who voice random bits of genius sound correct, which reinforces that type of mentality. I have also had some teachers that just flat out say things like "Umm...yea I'm not buying that...where did you get that from?". We need more of that.

Apossum,

As lame as it sounds, I was actually thinking about it. I thought my post was ok at best, I could try to write something a lot better than that. I typed that gigantic post based on pure confusion after reading that article. The funny/disturbing thing is the guy actually has a blog dedicated to the "ongoing" discussion of race and video games. A part of me is wondering what nationality this guy is.

Playing to the fans seems like a double-edged sword. I'm curious to what everyone thinks about that. Playing to your audience is definitely something that casual and non-casual players think about while playing. You want to be able to entertain your fellow fighting game brethren or even random people walking by watching. At the same time what if playing to the fans mean you use a strategy that is terrible against your opponent? What if your desire to hit that flashy combo, cancel, or glitch costs you an entire match and maybe the tournament?

that's not lame, the guy needs to be told what's up. and I know what you guys mean about show offs in class...the worst is that if you talk to those people after class, they'll almost surely admit how insincere they are about what they said and how they don't care about what they were talking about (especially in literature/media based courses.) IRL, most people take pride in their ability to bullshit, and it does have its place, but it's obnoxious in class. On the other hand, profs often encourage it by dissecting things too much.

as far as playing to the fans goes, if I can pull it off without losing the match, I'll do it for sure. but I wouldn't start showing off until I knew for sure I could win.
I used to show off a lot with MK1, since there are so many infinites you can do by juggling people in the corner. There a lot of fatality glitches that are fun to show off too.

[quote name='Apossum']that's not lame, the guy needs to be told what's up. and I know what you guys mean about show offs in class...the worst is that if you talk to those people after class, they'll almost surely admit how insincere they are about what they said and how they don't care about what they were talking about (especially in literature/media based courses.) IRL, most people take pride in their ability to bullshit, and it does have its place, but it's obnoxious in class. On the other hand, profs often encourage it by dissecting things too much.

as far as playing to the fans goes, if I can pull it off without losing the match, I'll do it for sure. but I wouldn't start showing off until I knew for sure I could win.
I used to show off a lot with MK1, since there are so many infinites you can do by juggling people in the corner. There a lot of fatality glitches that are fun to show off too.[/QUOTE]

corner infinites? fatality glitches? please, elaborate!

I know if you do Raiden's Fatality on the SNES version on the fight before Goro, Goro comes out all silver/chrome like...

I was able to get corner infinites on Goro only too..

[quote name='Apossum']that's not lame, the guy needs to be told what's up. and I know what you guys mean about show offs in class...the worst is that if you talk to those people after class, they'll almost surely admit how insincere they are about what they said and how they don't care about what they were talking about (especially in literature/media based courses.) IRL, most people take pride in their ability to bullshit, and it does have its place, but it's obnoxious in class. On the other hand, profs often encourage it by dissecting things too much. [/quote] i hate how people are proud of their BS. it's kinda sad. i've had papers i didn't like to write and papers that i've had a hard time writing or getting to a noticeable page limit, but i've never written an argument that i feel is stupid or that i disagree with personally.

asian: heh, actually i don't care if the professor thinks they're right or wrong, but i hate it when it's totally not relevant to the class and sucks up a ton of time, which is what they're mostly doing.

anyway...

as for "catering" to the crowd, i play to win, and because of that what entertains me is watching tactics unfold, not lots of attacking. and i watch videos with the intent of seeing how they play like that. everyone says chun is boring, i disagree. sure chun is defensive, but i like playing chun because i like shutting people down and making them feel helpless and desperate. chun vs. chun is really annoying though, i'll give you that, and more often than not i lose the match because i'm impatient and force things. but i hate 3s anyway. =P

i don't know what it means to show off in a fighting game anymore. it's all the same to me. -_-;

[quote name='jimfoley16']corner infinites? fatality glitches? please, elaborate![/QUOTE]

in the arcade version--
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f532LUbu9Sw
The Cage one with the jump punches (which the vid maker screwed up) always worked the best and put me on the verge of getting my ass kicked a few times :lol:

fatality glitches...where to start?
depending on what revision you play--

there are a bunch of gltches with Cage's fatality. You can punch off 3 heads if you keep pressing f,f,f HP fast enough. In an earlier version, you could do the split-nut punch right after punching off someone's head (which would make their head appear on again.)

With sub-zero-- if you freeze them right after the last hit, you can rip their head off while they're frozen (which turns their body a glitchy green.)

Scorpion-- if you throw them during "finish him" and tap up a whole lot during the throw animation, you'll burn them while they're on the ground.

Liu Kang-- if you start the cartwheel too far away, you whiff it and can do whatever you want until the fatality time runs out.

there may be some I'm forgetting. There were some with MK2 as well (like killing the baby after a Babality in an early revision :lol: )

hay does any1 remember when Tecmo was selling bikinis???

they were Dead or Alive bikinis, the the shopping page had pics of models in the bikinis,

like Lisa Gleave.

does any1 got those pics and can hook it up???

I got a small folder of pics, but it's all pics of pretty girls~!!!

in exchange, I'll give u all these:

f3509a3ee164b3a410c160bf3de0db74.jpg

c895b2973cf192e644a1d394a0563d6f.jpg

1fff11efeba02857f3c635914626e787.jpg

02-2.jpg

07.jpg

773546.jpg

773588.jpg

02.jpg

1145917445666ky3.jpg

Elena.jpg

Here you go!

amydoabikini.jpg

oh.... sorry. its a doa bikini..but..just...no. :lol:

[quote name='JEKKI']hay does any1 remember when Tecmo was selling bikinis???

they were Dead or Alive bikinis, the the shopping page had pics of models in the bikinis,

like Lisa Gleave.

does any1 got those pics and can hook it up???

I got a small folder of pics, but it's all pics of pretty girls~!!!

in exchange, I'll give u all these:

* COSPLAY PICS *
[/QUOTE]

for some reason all those scared me other than the Morrigan, Lilith and Mai pics...???

and after seeing the dizzy cosplay I was reminded of some very unsettling info I know... Dizzy is very popular among people who like BBW (ie. women with hefty chunks)

other than that I gotta go outside right now and take pics of coke machines in the dark... oh art school >_

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back