Super Mario 3D All Stars (Physical) up for preorder

Walmart inventory checker. Mostly out of stock in my area. YMMV.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=103673933

Every Walmart around me shows 6+ stock. (hence the YMMV) No shortage here in NW Florida. Everybody dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Sally.

Same in NE Florida as well. I’ll probably venture out today to get one.
Same situation here in Central FL. The nine closest Walmart show 6+ in stock. Well at least the scalpers did not win this time.

Same situation here in Central FL. The nine closest Walmart show 6+ in stock. Well at least the scalpers did not win this time.
This wasn't going to be scalped now. Christmas is when things will get real interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
to those who are genuinely worried about getting a physical copy, some shitbags are currently selling them for like 65-70 bucks on ebay

probably unnecessary but if its like for your kids birthday or something and you dont want to chance it, not everyone is selling it for 100+ dollars. i dont even know how theyre getting ROI selling it at almost msrp, seems dumb.

Does anyone have a picture of the price at walmart? Gonna see if BB will match
t9ryvtnmm1n51.jpg

Best Buy sent an email that mine was delayed and won’t be here until Monday. My daughter is rubbing it in because she picked hers up in store as soon as they opened.

I played a little bit of 64 and then some Sunshine. Other than just having nostalgia for 64, I don’t understand how people can say Sunshine is a worse game.

I played a little bit of 64 and then some Sunshine. Other than just having nostalgia for 64, I don’t understand how people can say Sunshine is a worse game.
I am assuming you didn't play either of these games when they launched. Mario 64 was ground breaking at the time and it still holds up fairly well, camera aside.

At the time Sunshine just did not "feel" like a Mario game at all. it just went a completely different direction. It had a new mechanic that wasn't "mario like" at all. It had new enemies that just felt weird. It was much more difficult than any other Mario game I could remember.

I haven't played it yet on the collection but I am actually very interested in seeing how it is to me now when I give it a go. It was definitely my least favorite Mario game at the time.

I am assuming you didn't play either of these games when they launched. Mario 64 was ground breaking at the time and it still holds up fairly well, camera aside.

At the time Sunshine just did not "feel" like a Mario game at all. it just went a completely different direction. It had a new mechanic that wasn't "mario like" at all. It had new enemies that just felt weird. It was much more difficult than any other Mario game I could remember.

I haven't played it yet on the collection but I am actually very interested in seeing how it is to me now when I give it a go. It was definitely my least favorite Mario game at the time.
I played a little 64 on store kiosks or at friend’s houses. I never had an N64 when it was current, so I didn’t log dozens of hours in it like previous entries.
I did have Sunshine back when it came out. I never beat it because it was ridiculously hard, but I played it maybe to half completion. It felt—and still feels—just as “mario” as any other game in the series to me.

But comparing them today, back to back on the compilation, Sunshine seems like a better game to me. Is that my nostalgia coming through? Maybe, but I don’t think it is.

I never got the sunshine hate.  It’s different, but still good.  It has some rough edges, but I think that’s because it tried to innovate.  I like that it’s unique.  Even with how amazing 64 was at the time, and still is to me, I like what we got with sunshine over just a cookie cutter sequel to 64 that could have been.  Better than what we got with the New Super Mario series I think.  I’d still love a cookie cutter 64 sequel though too.

Lol, there's several people in my area on Facebook Marketplace who are selling this for $80.

... It's available at most the Best Buy stores, and a couple targets doing a quick search. Looks like this blew up in their face :lol:

I never got the sunshine hate. It’s different, but still good. It has some rough edges, but I think that’s because it tried to innovate. I like that it’s unique. Even with how amazing 64 was at the time, and still is to me, I like what we got with sunshine over just a cookie cutter sequel to 64 that could have been. Better than what we got with the New Super Mario series I think. I’d still love a cookie cutter 64 sequel though too.
I actually think you hit the nail on the head. I think a lot of the dislike for Sunshine was the fact that it was not Mario 64 2. It was a completely different Mario game, and after how much everyone loved Mario 64, everyone expected a sequel to that game.

I just remember thinking it felt more like Pilot Wings than Mario lol. It controlled just like the damn jetpack.

Do the magnets and/or stickers have a UPC that can be searched for on Brickseek, or would you just have to go into a store and ask directly?

Yeah, if someone had their Target receipt, we would be able to find out on the magnets.
Dug mine out, it's DPCI 207041303 and it's listed simply as "GWP" at a price of $0.05. Also is listed under the "SOLD BY CVS" product category, meaning they're acting like it's a CVS Pharmacy product for some reason.

I checked it on Brickseek and nothing comes up for it, but it could be worth giving to an associate.

Redeemed gold coins for physical copy on release day and collectible pin set mission now shows as complete: "COMPLETE! Reward codes will be available Sept. 21 at 12pm PT"

Hope they have decent stock. Glad they don't require the Mario Kart Tour mission as my game will not launch (have the NNID sync bug).

This is actually the first time I've been screwed by Best Buy (well, FedEx actually). My order for 3D All Stars has been sitting at a FedEx in Portland since Thursday night and delivery is just pending. I know it is likely because of the fires and whatnot, but I live just north of the bridge in the Vancouver, WA area and that bridge is closing the Northbound side starting Monday for construction through the beginning of Oct. So my package is probably just going to be in limbo for the foreseeable future unless they decide to take the long way, which I highly doubt. I even used $30 in rewards on this, so this really sucks. I'm not sure if I should just go buy one at Walmart or wait it out.

This is actually the first time I've been screwed by Best Buy (well, FedEx actually). My order for 3D All Stars has been sitting at a FedEx in Portland since Thursday night and delivery is just pending. I know it is likely because of the fires and whatnot, but I live just north of the bridge in the Vancouver, WA area and that bridge is closing the Northbound side starting Monday for construction through the beginning of Oct. So my package is probably just going to be in limbo for the foreseeable future unless they decide to take the long way, which I highly doubt. I even used $30 in rewards on this, so this really sucks. I'm not sure if I should just go buy one at Walmart or wait it out.
FedEx has been holding my order since Friday with no tracking updates (likely being the weekend) but i'm not anywhere near a fire or natural disaster of any sort. If I don't get it tomorrow morning, i'm just going to have to buy it digitally. Nintendo likes money after all...

FedEx has been holding my order since Friday with no tracking updates (likely being the weekend) but i'm not anywhere near a fire or natural disaster of any sort. If I don't get it tomorrow morning, i'm just going to have to buy it digitally. Nintendo likes money after all...
You're not alone. Mine finally updated last night to have moved to a neighboring state with absolutely no reason given for being days late now. I hate FedEx, they are the absolute worst for shipping. I contacted Target yesterday because I was almost certain it was lost given their complete disregard for communication and they gave me a $5 GC for the trouble, so that works.

When I went to pick this up on launch without a preorder at Walmart, I asked the store if they had any extra "Mario 3D All-Stars" games. The employee said "We've recalled those. For some reason." I've heard nothing about a recall online, so I started to think that they thought I was talking about some Wii/Wii U Mario game that's long old, like Mario All-Stars (non-3D), and maybe them pulling it off shelves. I gave up and bought some eShop cards to get the game for $60 digitally. Well, I did get $3 in Nintendo gold coin from the purchase, but yeah. Game works fine of course.

I think you have to apply some context here. Mario 64 was the first 3d platformer, and remained the model game for that genre for a very long time. IMO nothing reached its levels of 3d platforming genius until Sunshine.

Like a sucker, I preordered one copy each from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart. Amazon price adjusted to $50, and Walmart, even though it was $60 online, came with some pretty cool retro stickers. And of course, most places are in stock.

So I decided to return the BB copy. Well what do you know - it's not in my orders list and customer service is baffled. They knew we were going to return these lmao.

My opinion overall of this game set, so far, is... Well Mario 64 does look better. Showing its age a bit though, and I can't say for certain whether it looks better than the DS version. Mario Sunshine looks a little better I think, more like a Wii game during actual gameplay.... during the tutorials the graphics looked a little low quality like FMVs were recorded, but could all be my imagination. Mario Galaxy is a pretty beautiful game especially now, I loved the skybox art like the night sky, and the overall glow on objects etc. The graphics just look really exceptional to me. Now there are some places where you can see the low polygon count, like on character's faces, but it doesn't seem much worse than some early Tomb Raider games on XBox 360 in that regard, and I still think it looks really exceptional.

My opinion overall of this game set, so far, is...
Overall it's OK but leaves a lot to be desired. First, these are mere emulations of the games as opposed to Nintendo making more of an effort to port the original code over. That would have allowed for better image quality and framerate. Instead, Mario 64 still runs at the same cruddy framerate which has aged not too well. There is some jank in Sunshine. Galaxy still runs as well as it did on Wii, so not surprised there.

Feature-wise, you can tell this was a cheap cash grab. There's a music player and literally nothing else. Even the intro seems very amateurish. I wasn't expecting RARE Replay levels of fan service (although, why shouldn't they be held to that standard?), but there is absolutely no love for Mario in this port.

Bottom line is that Iwata would have never let this out in this state. I miss him so badly.

Hopefully we'll get an actual Mario 64 remake from the ground up, which will of course most likely cost $60

I’m torn as to whether I actually want to keep this. I’d like to play Galaxy again but I can take or leave the other two. I basically paid full price since BB and Target didn’t PM Walmart. Will probably return one copy and sit on the other for awhile. Wanted the pins at first, but they’re just pins.

Overall it's OK but leaves a lot to be desired. First, these are mere emulations of the games as opposed to Nintendo making more of an effort to port the original code over. That would have allowed for better image quality and framerate. Instead, Mario 64 still runs at the same cruddy framerate which has aged not too well. There is some jank in Sunshine. Galaxy still runs as well as it did on Wii, so not surprised there.

Feature-wise, you can tell this was a cheap cash grab. There's a music player and literally nothing else. Even the intro seems very amateurish. I wasn't expecting RARE Replay levels of fan service (although, why shouldn't they be held to that standard?), but there is absolutely no love for Mario in this port.

Hopefully we'll get an actual Mario 64 remake from the ground up, which will of course most likely cost $60
I do think $40 might have been a better price.

I recognize what you're saying about emulation, but at least Nintendo probably did put some effort into taking their existing emulator, maybe doing a few updates and bug fixes to it, and probably testing the game a whole bunch. If it comes out later the game introduces new bugs due to emulator issues, I'll change my statement.

Not sure if anyone posted it, but someone sold a copy on eBay for 10k lmao. There are like two other 10k listings, one claims they are donating to charity but I didn’t seem any other details about which one.

On a related note, for anyone looking for a copy. Walmart has it was $49.94. Target and Best Buy will gladly price match if you show them their online price, and then you can use the red card at target for 5% off.

Edit: I tried to upload a screenshot, but it’s not working on mobile for whatever reason.
The sold 10k listing says it was ended by the seller because of an error in the listing. It wasn't actually sold for that much, and no copy will be.

Possibly due to the bots that were jacking up the prices for the new Nvidia card.. to combat the scalpers jacking the prices up in the first place. They are "sold" but with fake accounts so the seller gets nothing.

can't find the actual story/link about the bots, but this article does mention the guy who created the anti-bot bot making the fake accounts to screw with the scalpers.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/pc_gamers_sabotage_rtx_3080_ebay_listings_as_scalpers_attempt_quick_sales/1

Mario Sunshine looks a little better I think
I booted up both the GameCube version and the Switch version on my TV on separate video channels and switched back and forth to compare. The Switch version looks way better. I can't go back to the GameCube version now.

I booted up both the GameCube version and the Switch version on my TV on separate video channels and switched back and forth to compare. The Switch version looks way better. I can't go back to the GameCube version now.
Resolution does make a difference. Especially in games where the textures and models don't lack greatly, like Mario Galaxy.

I find the switch controls for Sunshine to be more responsive and easier to use.

So this Pin set for completing the missions... will we have to pay ~$6 for shipping?  :shock:

I find the switch controls for Sunshine to be more responsive and easier to use.
Playing it now and having a hard time adjusting to Sunshine's controls. They are very sensitive and I find myself falling off platforms with the smallest movement. Wish they had a sensitivity option to change.

I don't recall the controls being that sensitive but I'll get used to it.

Playing it now and having a hard time adjusting to Sunshine's controls. They are very sensitive and I find myself falling off platforms with the smallest movement. Wish they had a sensitivity option to change.

I don't recall the controls being that sensitive but I'll get used to it.
ive used emulators a bunch so im used to it but i may know why the controls probably feel off to you

those analog stick notches. i think the wiiu was the first system to get rid of them. they do make a difference

Troubles with Sunshine controls could also just be being used to modern games and their QOL improvements over older 3d games. I know that I’ve tried to land on a rope or do a series of wall jumps and just a slight misalignment screws it all up. In modern games, those slight miscalculations are generously autocorrected. This isn’t a trait unique to Sunshine, but pretty much all games of its vintage

bread's done
Back