Super Mario All-Stars (Wii) - 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='0078265317']
BTW sealed copy might be worth maybe 200 in 10 years like somebody said. But once I've opened it and start playing it won't be worth much right even 10 or 20 years from now right? Or just just the bonus soundtrack cd or whatever it is called might be worth alone even alone if sealed? Or should I just open it and see what it is?[/QUOTE]

$200? LOL -- as spmahn said, very, very few games ever get close to even double their value. You're kidding yourself if you think this will ever be worth more than $50-60 in 10/20 years.

Let me give you an example of what it takes for a game to reach the $200 level. Only one I can think of that's appreciated close to that is the $39.99 release of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance LE.

How rare was that game? Only 2-4 copies of it were shipped to Gamestops (and ONLY Gamestops). Some Gamestops didn't even get any. I'm fairly certain the only way you could get it was by pre-ordering.

That level of rarity now nets about $200 if it's brand new. Even if it's open, you can probably easily get $150 depending on what condition it's in.

That's the kind of rarity you need to get the price of a game to $200.

This Mario game? No way.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Does Super Mario All Stars Wii support the classic controller or just the Wii remote?

If it supports the classic controller as well, I might pick up a black one while I'm out @ Kmart.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it supports the classic controller.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Let me give you an example of what it takes for a game to reach the $200 level. Only one I can think of that's appreciated close to that is the $39.99 release of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance LE.

How rare was that game? Only 2-4 copies of it were shipped to Gamestops (and ONLY Gamestops). Some Gamestops didn't even get any. I'm fairly certain the only way you could get it was by pre-ordering.

That level of rarity now nets about $200 if it's brand new. Even if it's open, you can probably easily get $150 depending on what condition it's in. [/QUOTE]

What?! It's worth that much?! I have MGS 3: Subsistance LE! That's awesome! Woohoo!:whee:

[quote name='heybtbm']I love people seeing copies of the game in stores today (the 1st day it's available) and saying, "SEE! SEE! IT'S NOT RARE!". Simple minds.

Everyone else: Buy it while you can. Maybe it'll be hard to find, maybe it won't be. Experience says this will at the very least sell for MORE than retail price once supplies are gone. You can't say that with most games these days. It won't be like a $150 Demon Souls Limited or a $200 Pokemon Box...but it probably will get up to $40-50 in a few months.

This game isn't worth an investment...but for those of us who actually want to PLAY the game...why pay $50 later when you can just pay $30 today?[/QUOTE]

$200 for Pokemon Box? I got mine complete from ebay last year for $57.83 shipped. Even came with the ruby/sapphire memory card.

I just don't see the point in this. And normally I jump on every kind of LE that comes along for games I'm into too! Bought SMAS back in '93, still have that cart, can already play it on my Wii on an emulator, already have MP3s of the CD...just can't justify $30 on this. SMAS should be like $5 on the VC and that's it. Now if this was SMAS+W I might have gone for it.

[quote name='romeogbs19']$200? LOL -- as spmahn said, very, very few games ever get close to even double their value. You're kidding yourself if you think this will ever be worth more than $50-60 in 10/20 years.

Let me give you an example of what it takes for a game to reach the $200 level. Only one I can think of that's appreciated close to that is the $39.99 release of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance LE.

That level of rarity now nets about $200 if it's brand new. Even if it's open, you can probably easily get $150 depending on what condition it's in.

That's the kind of rarity you need to get the price of a game to $200.

This Mario game? No way.[/QUOTE]

The Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition gold game went for up to $500 at times on ebay, usually ~$300 I think for a mint sealed copy.

And for those that didn't know, there is a huge difference in value for sealed vs unsealed for games like this. I think the unsealed zelda is sub $30.

At one point I had considered buying games to keep sealed, but then asked myself...what's the point? If that was sealed that I'd want other games sealed, & it's just way too much money. If people want to keep sealed games thats fine, it's just not for me.

I agree about the hassle of the sealed thing. It makes me check the value of any game that I want to open and play in my backlog now. A lot of stuff doesn't pan out, but if you can at least double your money in a few years, that is a better investment than most stocks or CDs these days. But knowing what goes up is hard.

[quote name='scottman']The Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition gold game went for up to $500 at times on ebay, usually ~$300 I think for a mint sealed copy.

And for those that didn't know, there is a huge difference in value for sealed vs unsealed for games like this. I think the unsealed zelda is sub $30.[/QUOTE]

I was going to write the same thing. Sure, most games don't become reaaalllly expensive down the road, but Mario and Zelda games are different.

Look up just about ANY sealed Mario or Zelda game on Amazon or Ebay....most of them are more now than when they were released, aside from probably Mario Sunshine I suppose.

[quote name='Nogib']I just don't see the point in this. And normally I jump on every kind of LE that comes along for games I'm into too! Bought SMAS back in '93, still have that cart, can already play it on my Wii on an emulator, already have MP3s of the CD...just can't justify $30 on this. SMAS should be like $5 on the VC and that's it. Now if this was SMAS+W I might have gone for it.[/QUOTE]

I just like to have the physical copy.

If it helps it comes with the Soundtrack Cd history of making

It also comes with history/art book.

I also understand your reasoning and i think that is why Nintendo is making it "Limited"

[quote name='Nogib']I just don't see the point in this. And normally I jump on every kind of LE that comes along for games I'm into too! Bought SMAS back in '93, still have that cart, can already play it on my Wii on an emulator, already have MP3s of the CD...just can't justify $30 on this. SMAS should be like $5 on the VC and that's it. Now if this was SMAS+W I might have gone for it.[/QUOTE]

My Wii won't work with my LAN/router so I can't access internet or purchase games on it. Also I like having the actual copy in case the console dies someday or they come out with a better one

[quote name='romeogbs19']$200? LOL -- as spmahn said, very, very few games ever get close to even double their value. You're kidding yourself if you think this will ever be worth more than $50-60 in 10/20 years.

[/QUOTE]

Or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

lol i was gonna say panzer dragoon saga

and why does nintendo need a reason to reprint or do anything?

and why wont this game be worth money?

they made metroid prime trilogy that is worth $60(used and was $50 new when it came out less than a year ago) and the 3 physical copies of the games(mp GC mp2 GC mp3 Wii) that came apart of MPT are games that individually arent worth $10 a piece(MP isnt worth $5).

i can see this collection doubling by years end, and tripling in 5 to 10.

[quote name='scottman']The Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition gold game went for up to $500 at times on ebay, usually ~$300 I think for a mint sealed copy.

And for those that didn't know, there is a huge difference in value for sealed vs unsealed for games like this. I think the unsealed zelda is sub $30.[/QUOTE]

Haha -- the OoT example -- yeah, try to sell that now after Ninty made it available for download via the VC, released on the LoZ disc for GCN AND released it as part of its Master Quest bonus for pre-ordering WW.

I don't think it fetches anywhere near that now. Fact is the OLD rules don't apply anymore. By that measure, Atlus games should always be worth more. Well, look at what's happening there. Reprints, reprints, re-issues, do-overs, etc.

And the OoT gold cartridge was way more rare than this thing. It was printed in limited quantities for pre-order folks only, and stores only got a handful of extra copies to sell. The standard gray issue was in abundance however.

The fact that practically every poster is alluding to the same 2-3 games says something about games of the past 2-3 generations that can demand prices like $200 for an extended period of time. And again, using Amazon as a measurement is downright wrong. There are games on there that are posted at ridiculous prices. ebay completed listings is far more accurate -- but so are marketplace changes. Games that are reprinted drop in price. Games like MGS3 LE are different because of the extras packed into them (esp. the DVD that streamed the game like a movie). Those extras are simply not here in this Nintendo release. It really is ultimately a bare bones republishing of All-Stars w/ a 25 min soundtrack of which a third are sound effects.

As for Nintendo games always maintaining their value -- that is in part true. I'm not really arguing with that. It's the folks who think Nintendo games will go 4x to 6x their value. That doesn't happen anymore. Sure, Ninty's games can keep MSRP for much longer than other franchise games but those who think a game like this (that's been released before in SNES form, released in its 8-bit iterations via the VC, and published ad infinitum again on the GBA) will somehow go up so much in value are really in denial.

And Nintendo is no longer scared to reprint and reissue. The clearest indication of this is what they've been doing with games like Mario Power Tennis -- once a high value Nintendo GCN game that fetched upwards of $60-80 and now practically worthless since its Wii republishing.

Listen, I'm a Ninty fan, too, so I'd buy this to play -- but those hoarding 10+ copies of this thinking it'll bring in gold really ought to consider investing their money elsewhere.

Of course, why should I care? Spend more -- it helps the economy ;-) According to Cokie Roberts, we apparently have an obligation to spend [rolls eyes].

[quote name='badboysean']This thread is hilarious, people talking about holding the game for 10 years so they can triple their money .... wow[/QUOTE]

I know, crazy. It says something about the mental state of the country -- or its level of educated people.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I know, crazy. It says something about the mental state of the country -- or its level of educated people.[/QUOTE]

A website dedicated to video game deals isn't exactly a microcosm of America.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Does Super Mario All Stars Wii support the classic controller or just the Wii remote?

If it supports the classic controller as well, I might pick up a black one while I'm out @ Kmart.[/QUOTE]

Classic and gamecube/wavebird.

I'm disappointed Nintendo didn't take this opportunity to release the SNES style Classic Controller here. It's already up as a Japan and Europe Club Nintendo gift, and I was hoping NoA would release a better bundle here with the controller.

Ahh well, maybe it'll also make the Club Nintendo catalog int he future.

Picked it up today @ Best Buy. There were 2 copies left. The Wii aisle was a madhouse with people grabbing games right and left, but no one was picking up this game. Suckers. Even though it is the same as the old SNES game, the presentation is well done except for the stupid red eco-friendly game case that was used. Also, picked up a $10 Fight Night Round 4.

[quote name='Scorch']Got mine for my collection, not to resell, buuuut...

You're right, it's not like it's already almost reaching double its pri..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Mario-All...8891?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19c19f832b

oh look at that :)[/QUOTE]

And assuming this person paid $29.99 (with possible sales tax) with no discounts before re-selling, they're looking at maybe $10 profit MAX assuming Ebay waives the insertion fee, but they still have to take a hit on the Final Value Fee and the PayPal fees, plus shipping since they offered free shipping which is going to cost the seller around $3.50 minimum.

You'd literally have to sell the game on Ebay for around $75-80 to make a profit of $30-35 after costs.

Assuming this game will sell on Ebay at double its MSRP ($60), is it worth it to make $15 in flipping profit after costs and fees? I mean, really?

Completed ebay auctions show this game is selling for 59.99 plus shipping.

[quote name='kodave']
Assuming this game will sell on Ebay at double its MSRP ($60), is it worth it to make $15 in flipping profit after costs and fees? I mean, really?[/QUOTE]

If you buy 10 and set up a BIN listing with a quantity of 10, are a top-rated seller and have a store, fees are only 8.49 (ebay and paypal) per item. If you bought online and didn't pay tax, you are looking at a total of 21.51 profit. Total profit = 215.10. Amount of work involved? 10 minutes to list, 2 mins per item to toss in a bubble mailer, print a label and ship. Honestly, that's equal to what a lot of you people bring home in a week after taxes.

Besides everyone's "moral standpoint" on this, tell me how this isn't lucrative?

[quote name='kodave']And assuming this person paid $29.99 (with possible sales tax) with no discounts before re-selling, they're looking at maybe $10 profit MAX assuming Ebay waives the insertion fee, but they still have to take a hit on the Final Value Fee and the PayPal fees, plus shipping since they offered free shipping which is going to cost the seller around $3.50 minimum.

You'd literally have to sell the game on Ebay for around $75-80 to make a profit of $30-35 after costs.

Assuming this game will sell on Ebay at double its MSRP ($60), is it worth it to make $15 in flipping profit after costs and fees? I mean, really?[/QUOTE]

To some, profit is profit.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Completed ebay auctions show this game is selling for 59.99 plus shipping.

If you buy 10 and set up a BIN listing with a quantity of 10, are a top-rated seller and have a store, fees are only 8.49 (ebay and paypal) per item. If you bought online and didn't pay tax, you are looking at a total of 21.51 profit. Total profit = 215.10. Amount of work involved? 10 minutes to list, 2 mins per item to toss in a bubble mailer, print a label and ship. Honestly, that's equal to what a lot of you people bring home in a week after taxes.

Besides everyone's "moral standpoint" on this, tell me how this isn't lucrative?[/QUOTE]

That assumes you can sell 10 copies at $60 each. Good luck.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Completed ebay auctions show this game is selling for 59.99 plus shipping.

Besides everyone's "moral standpoint" on this, tell me how this isn't lucrative?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Scorch']To some, profit is profit.[/QUOTE]

And how many people here are buying 10 plus and are top rated power sellers with stores? Yeah, that might work for people that basically do that for a living, but for the average person its almost absurd to horde and stockpile this game.

Profit is profit though, that is true. It just doesn't seem worth the effort to me, but I'm sure people have $$$ in their eyes with parents or other uninformed persons trying to get their hands on this for Christmas.

Yes, it'll sell at this price point for a little while until the market adjusts. Again, I'm not saying people can't profit off of this, it's just that the window is very small.

You're likely going to see prices bottom out pretty fast. I'd suspect prices will dip to somewhere below $40 in the next 2-3 days as people see this thing advertised in every national retailer's ads.

[quote name='kodave']And assuming this person paid $29.99 (with possible sales tax) with no discounts before re-selling, they're looking at maybe $10 profit MAX assuming Ebay waives the insertion fee, but they still have to take a hit on the Final Value Fee and the PayPal fees, plus shipping since they offered free shipping which is going to cost the seller around $3.50 minimum.

You make it sound like the game is actually selling at $60. This one went for $51 (and that final price is rare).

$51 - $4 shipping (presuming tracking) - $1 for the package to mail it in - $4.6 final value fee - $2 insertion fee (BIN) - $3 Paypal fee -$29.99 (cost of game) - cost of gas (to and from mailroom -- who knows, really? let's say $0.50)
= less than $6 profit

Sell 10 of these and make your ~$60.

Sure, profit is profit, I'm not going to argue, but that's hardly worth it IMHO.

Hey, I admit I like to buy/sell, too, but I guess I like to make sure I can make at least a solid $15 after all expenses on a game before going through the trouble.

[quote name='romeogbs19']You make it sound like the game is actually selling at $60. This one went for $51 (and that final price is rare).

$51 - $4 shipping (presuming tracking) - $1 for the package to mail it in - $4.6 final value fee - $2 insertion fee (BIN) - $3 Paypal fee -$29.99 (cost of game) - cost of gas (to and from mailroom -- who knows, really? let's say $0.50)
= less than $6 profit

Sell 10 of these and make your ~$60.

Sure, profit is profit, I'm not going to argue, but that's hardly worth it IMHO.

Hey, I admit I like to buy/sell, too, but I guess I like to make sure I can make at least a solid $15 after all expenses on a game before going through the trouble.[/QUOTE]

http://product.half.ebay.com/Super-...QtgZvidetailsQQprZ93112374QQitemZ341874637406

[/QUOTE]

Obviously that's how much people are willing to pay for this.

I stumbled upon one of cmosfms auctions recently. Dude makes a living on video games.

And while I'm no fan of hoarders and resellers at least he keeps it relatively low key on cag. There's a whole bunch of assholes on here that flip and resell and just LOVE to rub other cags
faces in it. Like "Hahah I stole all the deals. Neener Neener!".

So long story short I think he knows what he's talking about.

[quote name='Scorch']hey guys, remember when we used to buy games because they were fun and we wanted to play them?[/QUOTE]

Lies.

I bought 2 copies this morning and got the free $25 gift card. Decided to go back tonight, and most of the copies were still on the shelf, so I bought 2 more (No I'm not a hoarder, they're x-mas gifts for friends).

Also, don't forget to get a TRU Rewards card if you don't already have one...you get 10% back on all purchases through the holidays, which further sweetens the deal.

[quote name='Scorch']hey guys, remember when we used to buy games because they were fun and we wanted to play them?[/QUOTE]

That died in the SNES era. I'll probably open it eventually. Have a huge backlog that spans the PS1 era.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Total profit = 215.10. Amount of work involved? 10 minutes to list, 2 mins per item to toss in a bubble mailer, print a label and ship. Honestly, that's equal to what a lot of you people bring home in a week after taxes.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I feel bad for anyone who makes $215 a week (assuming 40hr week). I hope most CAG's make more than that.

You mean we used to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back