Super Mario Galaxy - Gen. Discussion & Info.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Mario is much better that Waluigi.[/quote]Good point. But better than Birdo?

I look forward to seeing pictures of your son and his godfather ("Triforce" Johnson) in the future.

One of my friends who lives 35 minutes away got the game today (@ EB/Gamestop)

Unfortunately my local EB/Gamestop won't be getting it until tomorrow :(

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Will TRU be giving out the giftcard all week? Since it's not out today, I'm going to have wait until freakin' Saturday to pick up a copy.[/quote]

I was at a Toys R Us this morning and asked about the GC. The guy told me all they do is take a GC that they have all over the store and put $25 on it.

So basically as long as you can find a GC in the store, you should be good for the $25. Im assuming the ad that came out is until next Sunday.

[quote name='io']So my son will be born tomorrow which is sort of the release date (according to TRU anyway ;)... I'm seriously considering Mario for the name. And no, not JUST because of this game, as it was on the "list" anyway. But this may push it over the edge.[/QUOTE]

Another kid addicted to Viva Pianata, eh? :lol:

Congrats!

[quote name='io']So my son will be born tomorrow which is sort of the release date (according to TRU anyway ;)... I'm seriously considering Mario for the name. And no, not JUST because of this game, as it was on the "list" anyway. But this may push it over the edge.[/quote]

I guess it's a good thing he isn't being born next week. You'd feel silly calling Mass Effect home for supper. :roll:

Well, after driving to several stores (TRU, BB, Meijer) I finally found Walmart selling it. The guy said they got it in about an hour ago and he just put it out.

YES!!!!

My wife was at Walmart and picked up the last copy!!! She thought I might like it is what she said. That is why I married her and put up with all the bulls--t:D

Whats the best plan of action on the Toys R Us copy? I guess I should get it for the $25 GC and sell it on ebay. That way when the B2G1 comes around I have the GC.

Any other better suggestions?

Summary of calls:

Best Buy: tomorrow
Walmart: tomorrow
TRU: tomorrow
Circuit City: 38 in stock!

So I'll be grabbing it tonight just to ensure I have it first thing in the morning in case TRU decides to not stock my preorder until 5pm or something. Then return that copy to CC.

[quote name='schuerm26']YES!!!!

My wife was at Walmart and picked up the last copy!!! She thought I might like it is what she said. That is why I married her and put up with all the bulls--t:D

Whats the best plan of action on the Toys R Us copy? I guess I should get it for the $25 GC and sell it on ebay. That way when the B2G1 comes around I have the GC.

Any other better suggestions?[/quote]

You could get it, and if there are no distinct markings on the TRU packaging, return it to WM with your WM receipt.

[quote name='drfunk85']You could get it, and if there are no distinct markings on the TRU packaging, return it to WM with your WM receipt.[/quote]

Sweet. Thanks, I didn't even think of that. I knew there was a better option.

After seeing you guys found it I called a WalMart near my work and they had it! I just went and picked it up! Tho I still have it on reserve at Gamestop... I'll go there to get my coin, I guess. Then take the sealed Mario back to WalMart for a refund. Sweet Mario is mine tonight!

[quote name='botticus']Summary of calls:

Best Buy: tomorrow
Walmart: tomorrow
TRU: tomorrow
Circuit City: 38 in stock!

So I'll be grabbing it tonight just to ensure I have it first thing in the morning in case TRU decides to not stock my preorder until 5pm or something. Then return that copy to CC.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll go pick up my Target pre-order, get the coin, wait until 5, get a copy at TRU, and then return the Target one later.

Wish I'd known about the TRU thing before I went to Target. Oh well.

Any luck in the Philly area? I got lucky and got Mass Effect on Saturday, but I'm tempted to get this tonight as well. Any stores selling them?

[quote name='Strell']I think I'll go pick up my Target pre-order, get the coin, wait until 5, get a copy at TRU, and then return the Target one later.

Wish I'd known about the TRU thing before I went to Target. Oh well.[/quote]Eh, I have a Target preorder too. But as long as I get my coin at TRU, I'll cancel or payoff/return my Target one, depending on how they deal with that.

Okay, so I played a half hour... and I suck. But ah well. I'm sorta lacking in 3D platforming skills. Coupled with platforming upside-down. :lol: I'll get back on the horse a bit later, I think.

It reminds me of the first time playing any of the old Marios, though. Takes about 50 deaths before you figure out how to navigate things.

Damn, and here I thought I got lucky with GS giving them out early (noon Monday). This picture doesn't mean as much now with all the rest of you getting Walmart copies and whatnot, but I took it anyway.

It is too bad I can't play (my 2 boys are - the 2 Wiimote coop is wonderful for them). But it is great to have this for them tomorrow for when I'm a little busy otherwise (and the grandparents are watching them). Tonight I'm trying to get crap together for my nice 6 am wakeup...

Am I a bad parent that I forced my 2 sons to go to sleep extra early so I could play this with no distractions?

I think I have 14 stars and I can best describe it as being mesmorized (that spelling doesn't look correct). I haven't played a game and gotten sucked in since Resident Evil 4. This one is about 2 times that experience.

Called GS, no dice (they said tomorrow in the AM).

Called FYE, obviously no dice there.

Called CC, again, nope.

Called Wal-Mart Supercenter just now in a last ditch effort, but again, I didn't get as lucky as some of you guys.

Just got my Mario call, though, so I guess I'll be picking up my pre-order tomorrow afternoon at GameStop! Oh well. Hope you lucky SOBs enjoy your night with Mario, haha.

Is it just me or is this the biggest instruction manual since the 16-bit generation? Not sure if I should read it or not. Suppose I can while I'm waiting to have use of the TV again.

[quote name='botticus']Is it just me or is this the biggest instruction manual since the 16-bit generation?[/QUOTE]

You need a huge booklet to explain the deeply complex backstory.

[quote name='botticus']Is it just me or is this the biggest instruction manual since the 16-bit generation? Not sure if I should read it or not. Suppose I can while I'm waiting to have use of the TV again.[/quote]Aided by the fact that there's 3 languages in it.

But yes, it's still huge.

[quote name='botticus']Is it just me or is this the biggest instruction manual since the 16-bit generation? Not sure if I should read it or not. Suppose I can while I'm waiting to have use of the TV again.[/quote]

That's what I thought when I grabbed it, but then I opened to the middle and couldn't read it.

So did it scare anyone else when you put the game in and nothing happened? I took it out again, put it back - nothing happened again. Finally I clicked on the disc channel and saw that it wanted to do a system update. I should have remembered because Metroid did exactly the same thing. But still, it is kind of freaky that it doesn't tell you anything when it wants to update from a disc like that. For a minute I thought I had a bad disc. I think Nintendo needs to fix that by popping up an alert message or something. As far as I knew I was up to date from downloaded system updates, too, so I'm not sure what this update did.

Everything was a no go, but as a last ditch effort (after trying walmart, bestbuy, target, gamestop, etc) I called Circuit City and they had it! I'm about 24 stars in, amazing game.

Everything was a no go, but as a last ditch effort (after trying walmart, bestbuy, target, gamestop, etc) I called Circuit City and they had it! I'm about 24 stars in, amazing game.

Hey guys... um, I just got chills. After the second boss battle, I came to realize that I now like 3D platforming.

3 stars and 1 galaxy down, 117 and ? to go.

Rushed to 60 stars over the past 5 days (it took all the free time I could muster, included skipping out on a little work...oops) just so I could play the ending. The ending, like a lot of the true platforming stages in the game, is good stuff...
...though the Bowser battle isn't as hard comparatively, especially given that you've practiced the same damn patterns to beat him in earlier bouts.
Those difficult, pure platforming stages that come down to timing and nerve are the heart of the game. They're terrific.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again: the co-op mode is very simple but very enjoyable. Local co-op is one of those things that's being ignored by developers even though it gets a lot more use (when it's there) than people realize. Nintendo did a great job with it.

My only serious complaint is that by this time, for as long as 3D platforming has been around, I don't understand why the camera isn't free for me to reposition as I need. MGS3 had a restricted camera that was later made free in Subsistence, so I know it's been done elsewhere (though MGS3 is definitely not a platformer). I know many claim, "Well, the camera isn't a problem for the most part, so why does it need to be freed up?" Because it can, that's why. I'm sure it's a major programming obstacle, but hey, go for it. It's one of those little things, and it's noticeable. With as beautiful as the stages are, I find myself wanting to look around just to see, but I'd like to do it without being forced to stand still so I can do a first-person view (when 1st person is allowable--it isn't always allowed).

A complaint that is very, very minor given how little you interact with it is ray surfing. Holy jesus is it awkward. I've given it a number of replays to be fair and I still don't "get" it. It doesn't matter, as these racing stages, even when they're good, are so easy to forget about when stacked next to the platforming in the game.

Even with my two meager complaints, the game is overwhelmingly awesome. It's a lot of fun and it sets the bar high for Wii titles to follow.

[quote name='botticus']Hey guys... um, I just got chills. After the second boss battle, I came to realize that I now like 3D platforming.

3 stars and 1 galaxy down, 117 and ? to go.[/quote]

Yeah, I have all three stars from the first galaxy and quit. I want to play more. A lot more.

I'm just gonna throw this out there in case there exists someone who is on the fence about this game: if you like any Mario platformer, you will like this game. It goes without saying that fans of the previous 3D Marios will enjoy this, but coming from someone who hasn't been enthralled by a Mario game since SMW... it's good. Play it.

[quote name='daroga']Game. Of. The. Year.

Only 3 stars in, but WOW.[/quote]

The first star in the second galaxy/planet/whatever that you unlock with 3 stars is pretty awesome.

I mean seriously, you get to
turn into a fucking bee and then crawl on the queen bee collecting shit out of her fur.

...Wish I could play more but I need to get to sleep since I have work early in the morning. >_

wow instant classic. This brings me back to the first time I played Mario 64. I am loving it, I got 7 stars but I want this to last, so as hard as it is I think I am done for tonight.

By the way, I loved the ray surfing, I thought the controls were pretty simple, too bad you don't get to race the penguin.

[quote name='botticus']Is it just me or is this the biggest instruction manual since the 16-bit generation? Not sure if I should read it or not. Suppose I can while I'm waiting to have use of the TV again.[/quote]

Thats what I thought at first but its only because it is translated into three languages. The English section is only like 25 pages.

Heya everyone!

First post here on CAG..hoping to make some new friends here who like games as much as I do! I'll be respectful of everyone and try to help out whenever possible :)

On topic, I'm in the South Suburbs of Chicago and was able to pick up my pre-order yesterday afternoon from Game Crazy. It was one of the very few places that actually was selling it yesterday afternoon here in the South Suburbs. The guy there said they got a LOT of pre orders and I believed it, at least 5 boxes full of just Galaxy. And also said my store got the most copies in this entire sales district whoa! I got the bonus coin as well. I pre-ordered it just a few weeks ago so I was unsure if I'd get the coin too. I was ok either way if I did or didn't get the coin, most important thing was being able to get the game and I did! I wanted to post pics here as proof since that always looks better but looks like I can't just attach them to my post :(

I was only able to play about 10 mins in but WOW this game puts both Sunshine and Mario 64 to shame! The graphics alone are enormously impressive. The music, what I've heard so far is easily far better than both Sunshine and 64 ;) I'll be spending a lot of tomorrow playing and honestly can't wait to play more but need that thing called sleep first ugh!

Anyway, wanted to post on my getting the game too and looking forward to posting here at CAG :)

[quote name='bh7812']Heya everyone!

First post here on CAG..hoping to make some new friends here who like games as much as I do! I'll be respectful of everyone and try to help out whenever possible :)

On topic, I'm in the South Suburbs of Chicago and was able to pick up my pre-order yesterday afternoon from Game Crazy. It was one of the very few places that actually was selling it yesterday afternoon here in the South Suburbs. The guy there said they got a LOT of pre orders and I believed it, at least 5 boxes full of just Galaxy. And also said my store got the most copies in this entire sales district whoa! I got the bonus coin as well. I pre-ordered it just a few weeks ago so I was unsure if I'd get the coin too. I was ok either way if I did or didn't get the coin, most important thing was being able to get the game and I did! I wanted to post pics here as proof since that always looks better but looks like I can't just attach them to my post :(

I was only able to play about 10 mins in but WOW this game puts both Sunshine and Mario 64 to shame! The graphics alone are enormously impressive. The music, what I've heard so far is easily far better than both Sunshine and 64 ;) I'll be spending a lot of tomorrow playing and honestly can't wait to play more but need that thing called sleep first ugh!

Anyway, wanted to post on my getting the game too and looking forward to posting here at CAG :)[/QUOTE]
welcome to CAG

Get Mario Galaxy and then Metroid Corruption for half off with the gift card. I think it's probably the best time to build a Wii library.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Get Mario Galaxy and then Metroid Corruption for half off with the gift card. I think it's probably the best time to build a Wii library.[/QUOTE]

Or wait a week and get 3 more Wii games for $75. That looks like the best deal.

My TRU is telling me after 5:00 pm today! Argg. I didn't even make it past the main CSR. I asked for videogames and she immediately asked me which game. When I said SMG, she said not until 5:00 pm. I will be calling back later asking for Barbie's Horse Adventures so I can get to the videogame dept.

I really wanted to pick this up at lunch so I could actually play a little bit of it today, but it looks like that won't be happening.

I can't pick it up until later tonight anyway, so I have no problem waiting until after 5.
I really don't care about the coin either. I just want the giftcard
I'm excited about picking this one up.

So good. Pretty happy with my decision to call in sick today. Up to 12 or 13 stars after another 2 hours this morning.

I'll have it be known I am terrible at all the bonus levels, though. Haven't able to finish one yet.

[quote name='lebowsky']My TRU is telling me after 5:00 pm today! Argg. I didn't even make it past the main CSR. I asked for videogames and she immediately asked me which game. When I said SMG, she said not until 5:00 pm. I will be calling back later asking for Barbie's Horse Adventures so I can get to the videogame dept.

I really wanted to pick this up at lunch so I could actually play a little bit of it today, but it looks like that won't be happening.[/quote]

Yep, I just heard the same thing. He said that the game was shipping out yesterday... Yadda yadda, whatever. Oh well, this should enable me to pick up the $25 that I'm getting for picking up slack for some lazy ass motherfuckers. Between that and the TRU GC, I'm practically getting the damn thing for free.

The guy I talked to said he was "certain" the game will be there at 5. I hope he's right.

Off to finish up my shit.

Cant go till Wednesday to pick this one up... I am overloaded with wii games right now... Then next week??? Xmas shopping for sure.

And welcome bh7812.

[quote name='MarioColbert']

The guy I talked to said he was "certain" the game will be there at 5. I hope he's right.

[/QUOTE]

The reason he's certain is cuz it's probably sitting in the back of the store and they're not gonna start selling them til the time advertised. Still, I can wait a few hours for 25 bucks.

bread's done
Back