Super Meat Boy 800Msp until sometime in november

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I can't help but worry about how the difficulty level and platforming precision requirements of Super Meat Boy will be anything but completely frustrating using the atrociously inaccurate 360 D-Pad.

Oh well I guess that's what demos are for.[/QUOTE]

http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/27686071099
They're endorsing the use of the analog stick over the dpad.

[quote name='Sway']http://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/27686071099
They're endorsing the use of the analog stick over the dpad.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Since up and down are not in play (just left and right, with running, jumping, and air control mapped to buttons), the analog stick apparently feels really good.

[quote name='life.exe']If only Costume Quest was doing this, I don't want SMB.[/QUOTE]
It would be really smart for Costume Quest to respond in kind, because Super Meat Boy is currently getting way more Internet-type hype.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I can't help but worry about how the difficulty level and platforming precision requirements of Super Meat Boy will be anything but completely frustrating using the atrociously inaccurate 360 D-Pad.

Oh well I guess that's what demos are for.[/QUOTE]

...or thumbsticks.

[quote name='brandonandtiff']Alright, my excitement can no longer be contained. When does XBLA usually update with new releases? Please say midnight[/QUOTE]
7-10am EST usually

[quote name='DrUnkAgAIn']I was on the fence at 1200 points, but I'm in for one now.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Definitely a buy for me.

Just looks like an average flash frustration/memorization platformer.

Of course, I'll try the demo, but this doesn't look THAT good.

"If you die, it's because YOU screwed up." can be said for practically any game. There are far, far fewer games where it CAN'T be said.

Good question, I have read the thread and from what I can tell it does not count towards it, only rock band transfers, game room games and avatar clothes count.

[quote name='TheBomb69']Didn't read the rest of the thread. Does this count toward the 2400 points spent in October get you 800 deal?[/QUOTE]

why wouldn't it?

[quote name='prayformojo']Good question, I have read the thread and from what I can tell it does not count towards it, only rock band transfers, game room games and avatar clothes count.[/QUOTE]
...what? Of course it does.

I was happy to pay 1200 points day one for this game.
I don't like hard games, but the main campaign is beatable.
It's some of the extra levels and unlockables that are tough to beat.

It's got some great reviews so far.
1up : 100
Eurogamer: 90
Joystiq: 90
IGN: 90

[quote name='RollingSkull']"If you die, it's because YOU screwed up." can be said for practically any game. There are far, far fewer games where it CAN'T be said.[/QUOTE]
I think that's meant in contrast to classically hard games, such as Ghouls and Ghosts, where you often die because of the controls (You have no control in the air) or because of some crap that the game throws at you at random (A monster spawns right under you as you're jumping and, again, you have no control in the air).

The idea of Super Meat Boy, as I understand it, is to eliminate all that cheap stuff, such that the challenge is fair, and the deaths really are the player's fault.

[quote name='kidrocklive']I can't wait to try the demo of this cause I really don't see what the craze is all about.[/QUOTE]
If you want a taste you can check out the prototype here.

So is it safe to say this will be harder than N+? I could never beat the last 10 or 15 levels in that game (I think there were 50 in the main game).

edit: nvm I found on their twitter where they state it can get a lot harder than N+ and Splosion man..... great lol

[quote name='Sway']No multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I see. Not sure if 800 is worth it or not for me personally, just seems like a flash game. I felt the same about Alien hominid, but after buying it when it went on sale I changed my mind and loved it.

hmmmm.

[quote name='ZeroForte']So what time is this hitting xbawks live? Can't wait![/QUOTE]
Usually around 2 am PST or later.

[quote name='Moltres423']just seems like a flash game.[/quote]
So, what, 2D = Flash game? Do you have any idea how much effort and attention to detail these two have put into the gameplay of this thing? I'm not kidding: this is the best-feeling 2D platformer since Mario World. It's the new gold standard.

I felt the same about Alien hominid, but after buying it when it went on sale I changed my mind and loved it.
SMB is a hundred times the game Alien Hominid is (and I think Alien Hominid is pretty great).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Moltres423']I see. Not sure if 800 is worth it or not for me personally, just seems like a flash game. I felt the same about Alien hominid, but after buying it when it went on sale I changed my mind and loved it.

hmmmm.[/QUOTE]
All free DLC seals the deal

[quote name='Jaysonguy']All free DLC seals the deal[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the dlc will be like Little Big Planet 's user created maps(Or Trials HD). I would hope the "dlc" would be free because new maps are easy to create here. I don't consider it dlc personally.

Now if it offers new achievements, thats something different entirely. I highly doubt they do that though.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So, what, 2D = Flash game? Do you have any idea how much effort and attention to detail these two have put into the gameplay of this thing? I'm not kidding: this is the best-feeling 2D platformer since Mario World. It's the new gold standard.

SMB is a hundred times the game Alien Hominid is (and I think Alien Hominid is pretty great).[/QUOTE]
If there exists a flash version of this, then its a flash game. Effort and attention to detail? It looks alot like N+. this isn't anything revolutionary here, imo.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']All free DLC seals the deal[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but the dlc will be like Little Big Planet 's user created maps(Or Trials HD). I would hope the "dlc" would be free because new maps are easy to create here. I don't consider it dlc personally.

Now if it offers new achievements, thats something different entirely. I highly doubt they do that though.

[quote name='Moltres423']If there exists a flash version of this, then its a flash game.[/quote]
Uh, no. The Flash version is a Flash game. The game on XBLA is something entirely different. They are two entirely different games, made completely from scratch from each other. They share no code, art, or anything else. Even the design and mechanics are only conceptually based on the original, and again, were completely re-written. The Flash version was merely a prototype.

God, that's some ass-backwards logic. So, what, a game can never grow beyond it's roots? There's a Flash version of Quake. Is that a Flash game, too?

I don't consider it dlc personally.
You have a lot of weird, proprietary definitions of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Team Meat just responded to this tweet: "@SuperMeatBoy Help MS's October points offer says 'can't be combined with other offers' does this include Super Meat Boys 800 entry price?", with "it doesnt work". That doesn't sound promising..

[quote name='brandonandtiff']So Team Meat just responded to this tweet: "@SuperMeatBoy Help MS's October points offer says 'can't be combined with other offers' does this include Super Meat Boys 800 entry price?", with "it doesnt work". That doesn't sound promising..[/QUOTE]

It looks like whoever tweeted that asked it again and they said yes.

Just bought it this morning at 800 points. Amazing game! Already died like 10 times on the first 10 levels or so, but a lot of fun and excellent controls. Couldn't pass the first warp zone, only tried it twice, dying each time in the last level of it, its not hard (yet!), just that I screwed up.

GREAT GAME, definitely recommended for 800, even the 1200 it will be.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, no. The Flash version is a Flash game. The game on XBLA is something entirely different. They are two entirely different games, made completely from scratch from each other. They share no code, art, or anything else. Even the design and mechanics are only conceptually based on the original, and again, were completely re-written. The Flash version was merely a prototype.

God, that's some ass-backwards logic. So, what, a game can never grow beyond it's roots? There's a Flash version of Quake. Is that a Flash game, too?

You have a lot of weird, proprietary definitions of things.[/QUOTE]
lol whatever dude, I haven't said anything that any one else hasn't said yet.

Also you've got to be kidding me if you think they will offer free dlc for this game that will be any better than the stuff people create on Trials HD or LBP. Microsoft hates to let anything go free in the Marketplace as a quality control thing so I'm HIGHLY skeptical of this "free dlc"

[quote name='Moltres423']Microsoft hates to let anything go free in the Marketplace as a quality control thing so I'm HIGHLY skeptical of this "free dlc"[/QUOTE]
If you bothered to research you'd know that this game has a system for DLC that goes around the Live Marketplace rules so the devs aren't charged for content they put up.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']If you bothered to research you'd know that this game has a system for DLC that goes around the Live Marketplace rules so the devs aren't charged for content they put up.[/QUOTE]

While it's great to hear we still have developers like them, I'm actually surprised Microsoft approved this title.
Valve will be interested.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']If you bothered to research you'd know that this game has a system for DLC that goes around the Live Marketplace rules so the devs aren't charged for content they put up.[/QUOTE]
Has there been another game to actually manage pulling this off w/o interference from MS? AFAIK this method of updates has been limited to simple weapon balances and playlist updates. Those updates seems to be limited to behind-the-scene spreadsheet data. Not new content.

It'll be nice to see these guys be able to deliver on this promise.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']Valve will be interested.[/QUOTE]

I think Valve wanted to push through DLC for free that's several times larger than the file size of Super Meat Boy. Maybe the bandwidth issue is where MS objected. I can see new levels for this game only being a few hundred K, similar to N+'s DLC.

This game had a level editor for the XBLA version,
but Microsoft said new restrictions don't allow user created content anymore.
I suppose there was just too many giant penises being created in N+ and Trials HD.
But in both of those games, you can only upload levels from your friends list.
So Team Meat slipped in 'Teh Internets' as a way to deliver new content.
Microsoft compromised and allowed it.
Once the PC level editor is out next year,
Team Meat will upload some of the best of those user created levels,
in addition to new levels they are working on.
This used to be a Wiiware game, but Microsoft must have recognized the potential last year
and made sure it came to their platform first and PS3 never.

Maybe I should have put the quotes around "dlc" to emphasize my point.I don't deny that its free, if you read the rest of my post I acknowledge that.

What I am saying is that this ISN'T dlc. It's glorified user created levels but the DEVELOPER is doing it instead. They already have the resources to create maps on the fly- this "dlc" they're promising will most likely take them next to no time to create.

I would never put this in the same league as dlc's offered for other games, essentially.

[quote name='Moltres423']Maybe I should have put the quotes around "dlc" to emphasize my point.I don't deny that its free, if you read the rest of my post I acknowledge that.

What I am saying is that this ISN'T dlc. It's glorified user created levels but the DEVELOPER is doing it instead. They already have the resources to create maps on the fly- this "dlc" they're promising will most likely take them next to no time to create.

I would never put this in the same league as dlc's offered for other games, essentially.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that when someone keeps posting the same thing over and over and over,
it's because they are wrong.

[quote name='Moltres423']Maybe I should have put the quotes around "dlc" to emphasize my point.I don't deny that its free, if you read the rest of my post I acknowledge that.

I would never put this in the same league as dlc's offered for other games, essentially.[/QUOTE]
So its like user created maps except the dev team is taking the place of the user...which makes it DLC. The only good DLC is DLC that takes forever to be released and has to be patched to work properly? Of course it wont take as much time to make maps for this game as it would for Reach of Cod...its a 2d platformer. What the fuck are you even talking about? Unbelieveable.

bread's done
Back