Super Meat Boy 800Msp until sometime in november

[quote name='fatboyjam']Got to ask, is anybody else having trouble with their game saving?

Played it a couple hours, exited and lost all progress. Went back, did the levels again, same result (it seems to only save the first five levels I completed). Strangely, my gamertag is still listed on the leaderboard for levels that keep getting wiped out. But, my A+/complete/bandage info is gone each time.

The game is punishing enough as-is, this is driving me nuts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah quite a few neoGAF users are reporting save bugs. Seems random so far, hope they fix it soon.

I originally thought I'd get angry at this game and quit playing it but after playing it a couple hours yesterday I have to say I love it! It is very frustrating, yes, but not in the way that makes me want to stop playing like N+ did. I think a lot of it has to do with the music and how you instantly start over like they were talking about in the Giant Bomb quick look. My xbox froze last night and it corrupted the game save and even though there are some levels that while I was playing them I swore I wouldn't play them again, I now don't have an issue with having to do them over. I suck at this game so much but it is a ton of fun. I died about 340 times by the time I did all of chapter one (light and dark worlds).

I definitely recommend the people who don't like this type of game to at least try the demo.

Bought this earlier and it's awesome. Thought I wasn't going to like it after reading that it might be frustrating/hard but it's not at all. Tons of fun and so many levels. Love it.

Agreed this somehow does not seem as frustrating as either N+ or splosion man. Could be that there is so much content unlocked at once that you can always go and try something.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there anyway to tell if you've gotten a bandage in a level or not? I notice when you get it they still appear if you reply the level and I don't see a way of telling if you've gotten it or not.[/QUOTE]
I think this got glossed over in the argument:

You have to complete the level once you get the bandage. If you die, you have to start over and get the bandage again, which is quite the challenge.

If the bandage is still in the level after you have beaten it you didn't collect it.

[quote name='prayformojo']Agreed this somehow does not seem as frustrating as either N+ or splosion man.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you just haven't gotten to the harder levels yet. Give it time. ;)

Bought it without a demo mostly due to the launch discount and wantint to support the dev. I have to agree that for some odd reason it isn't nearly as frustrating as N+ or Splosion Man. Sure, I totally suck at these types of games, so it's still frustrating enough, but there is just something about it. And I love the consolidated ghost data in the replay once you finish the level.

The one weird thing I had happen was after playing a while I paused and went to look at something in the game's options screen. While I had that up I was all of a sudden booted to the main menu, which was odd.

[quote name='splintercell']Bought it without a demo mostly due to the launch discount and wantint to support the dev. I have to agree that for some odd reason it isn't nearly as frustrating as N+ or Splosion Man. Sure, I totally suck at these types of games, so it's still frustrating enough, but there is just something about it. And I love the consolidated ghost data in the replay once you finish the level.

The one weird thing I had happen was after playing a while I paused and went to look at something in the game's options screen. While I had that up I was all of a sudden booted to the main menu, which was odd.[/QUOTE]

Often what annoys me the most is having to watch/listen to a segment when I keep dying over and over again as opposed to the fact that I am dying a lot lol. Like the warm zones having to listen/watch the segments over and over again when you keep dying annoys me.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend that nonsense at all. I think it's annoying, and I don't have a qualm with anything you're saying. What I am trying, and failing miserably, in saying is that THAT standard, the one where "all death is your fault, not the game's." can be argued iteratively into being absolutely meaningless. I think it's annoying to claim as a merit because it is even moreso to defend or attack.

Am I making sense?[/QUOTE]
You are making sense, but I still disagree. I think we're both getting hung up on the issue of fault, which is somewhat misleading. A better way to put it would be, when I die in Super Meat Boy, I always know exactly why I died, and I always have some idea of how not to die on my next attempt. When I die in Ghouls and Ghosts, I know why I died (a monster spawned right under me), but there isn't much I can do to avoid it the next time. When I "die" in Dwarf Fortress, I generally don't even know what the hell went wrong: Did I forget something important, or are my dwarves just lazy? There is a difference between that kind of vaguery on the one hand, and on the other, the utterly transparent brutality of something like Super Meat Boy.

[quote name='RollingSkull']See, I'm on the internets, arguing on internets message boards. I'm about 5 years too late to avoid driving myself nuts about SOMETHING IS NOT AS I LIKE IT ON THE INTERNETS. I just viscerally can't stand people getting that indie praise because, to me, it encourages what I see as about 70% of what is wrong with video games. Deliver the game, get praised for the game, not because two college kids coded it while living on ramen and subsisting on paypal, dammit.[/QUOTE]
I heartily disagree with the premise that indie wankery represents "about 70% of what is wrong with video games." But again, maybe I'm misunderstanding. What's so bad about a few indie games getting a lot of Internet love? Even a break-out, everyone-knows-about-it indie sensation like World of Goo still doesn't exert the kind of influence that, say, Zynga's games do.

You hear about indies a lot, because you're a regular poster on CAG. Your average gamer doesn't know or care about Super Meat Boy, or Spelunky, or whatever. Those games live and die by word of mouth, so they get talked up in certain circles. They can't rely on being million sellers just by virtue of having the word "Halo" on them, or whatever.

The premise that some two man team can just "deliver the game, get praised for the game" assumes that people know about the game--and how is that supposed to be accomplished (with no advertising budget), if not through word of mouth on the Internet?

I can see how it's annoying that, at any given moment, some indie game seems to be the indie game--but overall, it's a far, far less hateful system than the blockbuster model employed by most big studios for their AAA titles.

I guess I'm just not seeing the problem. That part still isn't making sense to me.

The intros to each level are awesome! They're based off old NES and SNES games. When I finally realized that and rewatched the first chapter I got it. Which is a real shame since I'm played Street Fighter all these years. haha

[quote name='mokmoof']You are making sense, but I still disagree. I think we're both getting hung up on the issue of fault, which is somewhat misleading. (...)[/QUOTE]

Eh, wrangling meat boy's jumps, and most platformer character's jumps, is too much of an inexact science for my tastes when it comes to discussions of death being the player's fault. But if it were exact, nobody would die. But that inexactness always bugs me.

Which is really about all I have to say on the matter. I think we agree but the issue is getting everyone to use the same terminology is a fantastic amount of effort, and I don't really want to discuss fault vs. cause vs. proper hazard signalling or wherever this will go. Needless to say, having played several hours of meat boy, I will give that it is so far expertly designed, engaging, fun, and is currently battling VVVVVV for my favorite platformer in the last decade status.

I heartily disagree with the premise that indie wankery represents "about 70% of what is wrong with video games." But again, maybe I'm misunderstanding. What's so bad about a few indie games getting a lot of Internet love? Even a break-out, everyone-knows-about-it indie sensation like World of Goo still doesn't exert the kind of influence that, say, Zynga's games do.

You hear about indies a lot, because you're a regular poster on CAG. Your average gamer doesn't know or care about Super Meat Boy, or Spelunky, or whatever. Those games live and die by word of mouth, so they get talked up in certain circles. They can't rely on being million sellers just by virtue of having the word "Halo" on them, or whatever.

The premise that some two man team can just "deliver the game, get praised for the game" assumes that people know about the game--and how is that supposed to be accomplished (with no advertising budget), if not through word of mouth on the Internet?

I can see how it's annoying that, at any given moment, some indie game seems to be the indie game--but overall, it's a far, far less hateful system than the blockbuster model employed by most big studios for their AAA titles.

I guess I'm just not seeing the problem. That part still isn't making sense to me.
Where you're coming from makes sense and here we're probably just running up against my neuroses, but I'll try to verbalize it all the same. One, I don't think the cult of personality does anyone any good, be it indie developers or real published guys like Suda, Mikami, Kojima, Cliffy B, what have you.

Second, and probably more grating, that sort of indie praise often promotes the more bohemian crap involved in indie games as opposed to solid game design and excuses criticisms of the games BECAUSE THEYRE JUST ONE-THREE MANS. For every Super Meat Boy, there's a Canabalt. For every Cave Story, there's a Mount and Blade. If you'll permit me to take a stab at World of Goo, to boot, I think it is emblematic of what I find annoying about that indie culture. World of Goo is slickly produced and presented, yes, but at it's heart it was a physics engine with not particularly challenging or engaging puzzles all playing off that central gimmick and not a lot else. To me, it was all flash, no substance, a laser like focus on a few aspects of the game and often ignoring the bigger picture.

Third and finally, I point to the more infantile parts of that culture almost dislocating their shoulder to pat themselves on the back for being so much more erudite than the "stupid drooling masses who buy endlessly rehashed Call of Duty and Gears of War and Halo" or whatever it makes them feel sophisticated to violently lash out at that week.

[quote name='puzzlefite']The intros to each level are awesome! They're based off old NES and SNES games. When I finally realized that and rewatched the first chapter I got it. Which is a real shame since I'm played Street Fighter all these years. haha[/QUOTE]

lol.

Yea, was not expecting to love the game as much as I do. It's just ridiculously addicting. I had to stop because I had a game night that I forgotten about. Great game, great 800 points spent.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Eh, wrangling meat boy's jumps, and most platformer character's jumps, is too much of an inexact science for my tastes when it comes to discussions of death being the player's fault. But if it were exact, nobody would die. But that inexactness always bugs me.[/QUOTE]
If the controls were exact and the player played perfectly, the no one would die. If the controls are exact and the player still dies, then it's perfectly reasonable to say that the deaths were the player's fault. The idea is to make the interface transparent and thereby make player the sole x-factor. Super Meat Boy does a pretty great (though of course, not flawless) job of doing that, in my opinion. If your opinion is different, then that's fine by me, but that doesn't make the discussion pointless.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Needless to say, having played several hours of meat boy, I will give that it is so far expertly designed, engaging, fun, and is currently battling VVVVVV for my favorite platformer in the last decade status.[/QUOTE]
I quite agree.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Where you're coming from makes sense and here we're probably just running up against my neuroses, but I'll try to verbalize it all the same. One, I don't think the cult of personality does anyone any good [...][/QUOTE]
Fair enough. That stuff doesn't bother me personally, except when people ignore glaring flaws simply BECAUSE KOJIMA MADE IT. When the developer's personality is as central to the game as Suda's is to his, digging the game and digging the developer's personal quirks do sort of become one and the same.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Second, and probably more grating, that sort of indie praise often promotes the more bohemian crap involved in indie games as opposed to solid game design [...] World of Goo is slickly produced and presented, yes, but at it's heart it was a physics engine with not particularly challenging or engaging puzzles all playing off that central gimmick and not a lot else.[/QUOTE]
See, I thought that the level design in World of Goo was pretty remarkable, the way it built on related skills and refused to repeat itself. But here we're in serious matter-of-opinion territory.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Third and finally, I point to the more infantile parts of that culture almost dislocating their shoulder to pat themselves on the back for being so much more erudite than the "stupid drooling masses who buy endlessly rehashed Call of Duty and Gears of War and Halo" or whatever it makes them feel sophisticated to violently lash out at that week.[/QUOTE]
If I came off like that, then all apologies. I don't feel superior to people who play Modern Warfare 2 and Halo. The games themselves just kind of bore me, so I don't play them. I have no need to have everyone like what I like, and only what I like.

But that being said:

1. Modern Warfare is kind of stupid--because it's shakily designed and poorly written, not because it's big and popular.

2. The whole "drooling masses" thing does contain a kernel of truth. Wherever there's a discussion about what a game means, there's some gamer saying "Whatever! It's just a game! It doesn't mean anything!" At the end of the day, gamers themselves are the main thing keeping games from being taken seriously by non-gamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this game and having a lot of fun with it. I love platformers but I have a sneaky suspicion that I will be come frustrated much like n+ and never finish the game.

Finished the first light and dark worlds. I love that there are boss battles in this game. It's a lot like N+ except this game actually has personality.

Great game. well worth the 800. Has cut into my fallout: new vegas time, which is saying a lot because i've had THAT release date circled all year.

super meat boy is one of those games that make me remember why i love video games.

also it's fucking beautiful to look at, wonderful music, all around excellent package.

[quote name='mokmoof']If the controls were exact and the player played perfectly, the no one would die. If the controls are exact and the player still dies, then it's perfectly reasonable to say that the deaths were the player's fault. The idea is to make the interface transparent and thereby make player the sole x-factor. Super Meat Boy does a pretty great (though of course, not flawless) job of doing that, in my opinion. If your opinion is different, then that's fine by me, but that doesn't make the discussion pointless.

[/QUOTE]

As you mentioned, most of the game is static and will progress the same way regardless of your position. That's fine. So far there's only 1 stage in the Light World that I felt wasn't even though it was???? And it really pissed me off.

*SPOILER*
I'm looking at you Light World Cotton Alley Missile Stage. The one where you jump up the walls while avoiding the missiles that split into "shrapnel" in all directions after impact. I eventually beat it with some mindless jumping from wall to wall, but there didn't seem to be a formula for this one since if your jumps were even slightly off the missile impact would pretty much own you. Are there any other stages like that?
*UNSPOILED*

For the record I did buy the game. Just because this game lacks true dlc that requires a significant investment of time from the developers and instead contains bonus levels ,the likes of which I get for free anyway in numerous other games, doesn't make this game bad. Definitely a 10/10 game that goes right up there in my top favorites with splosion man,alien hominid,peggle, and plants vs zombies.

Btw anyone unlock the alien from collecting 30 bandages? I notice that if you use his power right when you're about to get smashed, that he actually becomes invincible until you stop using his power and then dies. Seems like there may be a trick to get through obstacles but I dunno what it is.

FYI, Microsoft support replied to my inquiry - SMB will not count toward the 2400/800 promotion in October.

[quote name='KRS']FYI, Microsoft support replied to my inquiry - SMB will not count toward the 2400/800 promotion in October.[/QUOTE]
really? THats fucking stupid then

[quote name='Moltres423']Just because this game lacks true dlc .[/QUOTE]
So I see you're still doing that whole "I'm crazy and my views are warped" thing

Awesome, way to stay in character
Glad you like the game, or maybe you don't think it's a game, maybe you think it's a cupcake? I have no idea.

I'm glad you like whatever it is that you think you have

[quote name='Jaysonguy']
Glad you like the game, or maybe you don't think it's a game, maybe you think it's a cupcake? I have no idea.

I'm glad you like whatever it is that you think you have[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='KRS']FYI, Microsoft support replied to my inquiry - SMB will not count toward the 2400/800 promotion in October.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? Guess I wont participate in this fuck

yeah right. It'll count, and if they don't count it now, when they get a 1000 e-mails complaining about why they didn't get their rebate they'll count it then.

[quote name='Ionotropic']this game is awesome. haven't bought a game off arcade in a long time, but this one is a winner.[/QUOTE]

This. I remember playing the original on newgrounds a while back and I really liked it. Definitely worth the $10

I played the demo of this game and went ahead and purchased it. It is very fun fast paced game and you have to think fast to get to your girlfriend meatsquare on each level. I really didn't know if I'd like it or not but let me say this game is awesome and really draws you in. For $10 you can't go wrong.

Careful when replaying levels you can trigger a save bug that stops the game from saving your progress. According to Team Meat, "if you press the Y button too quickly on the replay screen, to avoid the bug wait for the replay to finish or exit back to the map." I lost about half of my Chapter 4 progress as a result of this.

Went into the game knowing for sure I wouldn't buy it since I'm just not as good at platformers as I used to be and I don't tend to have as much patience for crushing difficulty anymore... and I ended up buying it. There is so much charm to the game to draw you in and the package as a whole is quite impressive with an excellent visual style, solid controls, and a meaty experience.

Seeing the mass amount of meatboy clones showing you all your attempts (endless deaths) after beating the level is simply just pure awesome btw.

[quote name='Crazyhowie']Went into the game knowing for sure I wouldn't buy it since I'm just not as good at platformers as I used to be and I don't tend to have as much patience for crushing difficulty anymore... and I ended up buying it. There is so much charm to the game to draw you in and the package as a whole is quite impressive with an excellent visual style, solid controls, and a meaty experience.

Seeing the mass amount of meatboy clones showing you all your attempts (endless deaths) after beating the level is simply just pure awesome btw.[/QUOTE]

Accidental puns are the best kind of puns. :)

I tried the demo and got to annoyingly frustrating difficulty even there, so I guess this game isn't for me. :) I really liked Mega Man 10, though only on "Easy" difficulty (and didn't like MM9 because it didn't have that), but I think that's probably enough uber difficult platforming for me for a while.

All free time this weekend was also lost to super meat boy and I still managed to stay up until 1:30 last night playing it.

The demo is a cross sections of levels, so some of the levels should be hard. I am about 90 percent through the light world nothing seems impossible yet and I would not consider myself a great platformer gamer, but this is more of a puzzle game anyway, a very precise puzzle game.

so I didn't think I'd be getting this game, but I was bored and queued up a couple of demos. Ended up saying fuck it and purchased super meat boy. pretty fun game, sucks when ya die but whatever haha, we'll see how far I get, but at least it's not as frustrating just b/c maybe it's so goofy and because I can start up right again after dying.

Anyway, now I figure since I already spent 800points, I'll go ahead and try to spend another 1600points (makes sense doesn't it lol) to get the additional 800 points back. Thinking a 1200 point game and probably the L4D2 DLC even though I got it free on PC... hmmm

played the demo.....didn't like it.....just not for me.....glad to see msoft getting comeptitve with their dlc pricing though

Picked it up after playing the demo. Reminds me of a weird indie game called "I Wanna Be The Boshy" that is played by some German kid on JTV. Difficult as all hell, but rewarding in the end.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']I can wait for it to be on sale for 400 MS Points next year.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll see that. 560 maybe but not 400.

bread's done
Back