Super Meat Boy 800Msp until sometime in november

I'm not even going to discuss the DLC anymore, if someone wants to say that devs making content isn't DLC then there's no point in arguing.

In other news Comic Jumper's Twitter page (run by Twisted Pixel) said....
"Guess you only get the 800 pts back if you buy SMB at full price."

So people buying it now wont be any closer to their free point promotion

I don't know anymore to be honest lol

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I'm not even going to discuss the DLC anymore, if someone wants to say that devs making content isn't DLC then there's no point in arguing.

In other news Comic Jumper's Twitter page (run by Twisted Pixel) said....
"Guess you only get the 800 pts back if you buy SMB at full price."

So people buying it now wont be any closer to their free point promotion

I don't know anymore to be honest lol[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain that what they're saying is that to receive the 800 points for buying Comic Jumper & SMB, you'd have to buy it at full price. If you buy it at 800 points, you just need to find another 400 pt purchase to qualify.

Thats exactly what they are saying - people are just plain stupid. @Xboxsupport has said MANY times ANY AND ALL DLC and XBLA games. The only stuff that doesn't count is Avatar Items, Zune crap, etc.

Great game, it will be a game that i never finish and will just piss me off, but i bought it for the fact of supporting the clever idea of the game, and love the devs plans of free dlc and cheaper price at launch. :)

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Great game, it will be a game that i never finish and will just piss me off, but i bought it for the fact of supporting the clever idea of the game, and love the devs plans of free dlc and cheaper price at launch. :)[/QUOTE]

I more or less did the same. I think the game will be too hard and frustrating for me, but I want to support the developer for the reasons you mentioned.

[quote name='Markew001']I'm fairly certain that what they're saying is that to receive the 800 points for buying Comic Jumper & SMB, you'd have to buy it at full price. If you buy it at 800 points, you just need to find another 400 pt purchase to qualify.[/QUOTE]
That's fantastic then

[quote name='illennium']I more or less did the same. I think the game will be too hard and frustrating for me, but I want to support the developer for the reasons you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

We think alike sir, thats rad!

Hopefully more people think this way too!

That'll be me probably too. I was thinking of getting Scott Pilgrim but I feel I need to support the sale at launch even though I'll never beat this game lol.

lol whatever dude, I haven't said anything that any one else hasn't said yet.
And anyone else who says it is dumb and wrong, too.

[quote name='Moltres423']What I am saying is that this ISN'T dlc. It's glorified user created levels but the DEVELOPER is doing it instead.[/quote]
What the fuck. WHAT THE fuck. You know the XBLA version doesn't have an editor, right? So, how is this different from DLC for any other game?

What else does your backwards brain come up with? "Sonic 4 is a fangame, but made by Sega", perhaps? "Team Fortress 2 is just Half-Life 2 fan mod, but made by Valve", maybe? "Brood Wars is just a fan campaign for Starcraft, but made by Blizzard"?

They already have the resources to create maps on the fly- this "dlc" they're promising will most likely take them next to no time to create.
Uh, every game has development and editing tools. Not always public, but at least for the developers. Again, how is this different from any other game? You know that actually designing levels takes time too, right?

I would never put this in the same league as dlc's offered for other games, essentially.
Now here, I finally agree with you. A shitton of additional carefully crafted and extensively playtested free levels indeed cannot compare to the usual DLC offerings most games have like $2.50 character skins, or $5 to unlock content already on the disc, or $15 for five multiplayer maps (only three of which aren't rehashes), or $5 cheats, or $5 to play already-available difficulty modes online, and so on and so forth.

These guys are actually doing DLC completely and utterly right, and you're criticizing it, because, uh, they have an editor, apparently (just like EVERY game has in-house editing tools). Absolutely amazing.

[quote name='gordojones88']This game had a level editor for the XBLA version,
but Microsoft said new restrictions don't allow user created content anymore.[/quote]
XBLA games can have editors and user-created content, but the developers must moderate the content users make themselves (or pay a contractor to do it), which Team Meat can't afford to do.

and made sure it came to their platform first and PS3 never.
There was no Microsoft conspiracy to keep the game off the PS3. Grow up.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

What the fuck. WHAT THE fuck.[/QUOTE]
This sums up exactly what I think of the DLC "argument"

It's so warped it's almost sane again

"See DLC is only DLC when a dev makes it, if DLC is made by a dev it's no longer DLC"

Is there anyway to tell if you've gotten a bandage in a level or not? I notice when you get it they still appear if you reply the level and I don't see a way of telling if you've gotten it or not.

Picked up SMB. Fun and challenging, reminds me a lot of N. You will die a lot, especially in Dark World levels. I still prefer N+ to SMB. SMB moves too fast and can sometimes be a little hard to see for precise controls. This is especially true in mid-air where, depending on the situation, the slightest tap of a direction can send you flying in that direction when you only wanted to move a little. I also seem to have a hard time on certain levels telling what in the environment can kill me; of course, you learn quickly what kills :p

Anyway, if you enjoyed N+ then this is a must pick-up. Great price, a lot of content, and a good sense of humor. Oh, and without spoiling anything, the alternate characters are a real treat.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there anyway to tell if you've gotten a bandage in a level or not? I notice when you get it they still appear if you reply the level and I don't see a way of telling if you've gotten it or not.[/QUOTE]

They show as icons on the levels in the level select screen.

Grabbing this ASAP. Totally gonna support these guys. It's an awesome game, especially if you're all into retro platforming. If not, then it's simply not for you.

[quote name='gordojones88']
This used to be a Wiiware game, but Microsoft must have recognized the potential last year
and made sure it came to their platform first and PS3 never.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
There was no Microsoft conspiracy to keep the game off the PS3. Grow up.
[/QUOTE]

Team Meat said so on their blog responding to a comment a few months ago.
They said Microsoft insisted to have a 30 day exclusive before the Wiiware version,
and that it would never come to the PS3.
Here is a quote they put on their website after that.

F.A.Q.

Question: When is this coming out on PS3?
Answer: Never.

[quote name='gordojones88']They said Microsoft insisted to have a 30 day exclusive before the Wiiware version,[/quote]
I know. Same goes for the PC version. And what does that have to do with it never coming out on PS3?

and that it would never come to the PS3.
They never said that it wasn't coming out on PS3 because Microsoft coerced them into not doing it. There has never been a PS3 version planned. They did say they'll explain the reason it's not on PS3 in their next commentary video on GameTrailers. I'm betting it isn't the same as your weird conspiracy notions.

I bought it and just got 105% in the first world. I LOVE IT! It's closest comparable is definitely N+, but I find that I enjoy this game much more. The speed and fluidity of the gameplay is perfectly balanced. Yes, you die a lot, but I never found it to be frustrating. The controls are spot on and the level design is never cheap.

Wow, i was not impressed at first, but after playing it, it is addictive. Cool game, super fun, i like the unlocked characters. A in my book. and im a picky mofo.

put in about an hour so far. I think this game is incredibly fun. Probably one of my favorite XBLA titles this year. I'm just waiting for the nightmare-ish levels later on tho... I hear they make you want to tear your hair out.

Games like this drive me absolutely insane but I bought it anyways. I know I'll never beat it all the way but I feel I will get a lot more than $10 of gameplay out of it.

[quote name='gordojones88']"This message is hidden because CoffeeEdge is on your ignore list."

Problem fixed.[/QUOTE]
Way to isolate yourself from people who are correct.

I'm sure your delusional thinking will get much better that way

[quote name='mokmoof']I think that's meant in contrast to classically hard games, such as Ghouls and Ghosts, where you often die because of the controls (You have no control in the air) or because of some crap that the game throws at you at random (A monster spawns right under you as you're jumping and, again, you have no control in the air).

The idea of Super Meat Boy, as I understand it, is to eliminate all that cheap stuff, such that the challenge is fair, and the deaths really are the player's fault.[/QUOTE]

See, I disagree with that notion as you can then carry it out to say "You have to PLAN your jumps." Hell, people say the same thing about Demon Souls and I Wanna Be The Guy. That said, Meat Boy sure as spit isn't the only game to reduce the NES style nonsense to a minimum. It's just subscribing to actual MODERN game design principles, which most modern games do. I would say that any game that asks you to make long jump series with scant pixels of space could theoretically be called ITS ALL YOUR SKILL NOT THE GAME but I certainly wouldn't laud the game for it, especially if I'm 200 deaths in trying to match the exact rhythm, speed, launch angle, and landing the developer wants.

Not to make a referendum on Meat Boy's quality with that, but I just don't think the breathless admiration for designing a simple nostalgia-focused death-heavy platformer is merited. "Indie" development is up to its eyeballs in that already.

EDIT: And damn you guys for arguing so poorly that I am unable to side against fucking CoffeeEdge in an argument.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Way to isolate yourself from people who are correct.

I'm sure your delusional thinking will get much better that way[/QUOTE]

Don't you know? Anytime someone is correct, you have to ignore them. Those are the rules of internet.

Not to make a referendum on Meat Boy's quality with that, but I just don't think the breathless admiration for designing a simple nostalgia-focused death-heavy platformer is merited.
I think the breathless admiration has to do with more than just "nostalgia." This is a carefully designed, brilliantly executed, and expansive game, nostalgic influences or not.

[quote name='RollingSkull']EDIT: And damn you guys for arguing so poorly that I am unable to side against fucking CoffeeEdge in an argument.[/QUOTE]
I'm usually right, son.

Didn't even have to finish the demo before deciding to plunk down the coinage for the full game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think the breathless admiration has to do with more than just "nostalgia." This is a carefully designed, brilliantly executed, and expansive game, nostalgic influences or not.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, but there are plenty such games on the marketplace that also deserve equally glowing terms but they don't get a fraction of the adoration. Nostalgia isn't the right word, but there are strings being plucked here that are not directly from the game's quality.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I'm usually right, son.[/quote]Everyone says that. They seldom are.

Just so everyone knows, bandages seem to be a little iffy about saving when they are collected. They'll add to your TOTAL just fine, it seems, but they will reappear and not be marked as collected.

I don't think this has to do with getting the bandage AND an A+ on the same run.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, the problem resolves itself. Huh.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, I can see my point is simply not getting across.Them offering free additional levels that I otherwise would have gotten free with some of my other favorite platformers does not make this game anymore appealing to me personally.

Also CoffeeEdge, not everyone is going to be crazy about this game so don't get butthurt when someone comes in to criticize, rofl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought this, so fun, addictive. the first world was a breeze, the 2nd not so much. Wish i paid 1200 for this, they really deserve it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']See, I disagree with that notion as you can then carry it out to say "You have to PLAN your jumps."[/QUOTE]
1. You could put it that way, but the fact remains that you have zero control while you're in the air (which is often), and that always struck me (personally) as being a little cheap.

2. As I said above, there's no way to "plan" for a monster rising from the grave right where you're about to land, when you no longer have any choice as to whether or not you'll be landing there.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Indeed, but there are plenty such games on the marketplace that also deserve equally glowing terms but they don't get a fraction of the adoration. Nostalgia isn't the right word, but there are strings being plucked here that are not directly from the game's quality.[/QUOTE]
True enough. Hype isn't about quality. It doesn't mean that a game is good, nor does it mean that a game is bad. It's more about building a mythos around the game than getting the word out about the game itself.

In this case, there has been a whole lot of publicity about the developers being (for lack of a better term) nice guys, operating on a very small budget and more or less living The Indie Dream, like 2D Boy before them. Indie, as a brand, couldn't ask for better.

Now, none of that has anything at all to do with their skills as game developers. But it also so happens that they are really good game developers. Combine one part frothy hype to two parts awesome niche game, and you've got yourself a recipe for "breathless admiration."

If you start worrying about whether this game "deserves" the hype more than that game, you'll just drive yourself nuts. It's unproductive. In a word, it's MetaCritic.

[quote name='Moltres423']Also CoffeeEdge, not everyone is going to be crazy about this game so don't get butthurt when someone comes in to criticize, rofl.[/QUOTE]
I don't have a problem with people not liking this game. But ignorant bullshit like "oh this is just a flash game" and mind-numbing contradictory babble like "the free DLC isn't REALLY DLC because DLC can't come from the developers, because the developers are just glorified users, and also REAL DLC can only come from the developers, so that's why this isn't TRUE and HONEST DLC, unlike Horse Armor, because it's not really different from what the users make, and thus, only developers who aren't developing users because they have an editor for not development users and can't not make something that isn't not something other than a different thing from something that isn't DLC because it's made by the development not user development glorified users, because if the developers have a way to create or edit the game, then anything they make isn't DLC, in fact, they never really made a game at all and they've actually been dead this whole time" is inexcusable.

Them offering free additional levels that I otherwise would have gotten free with some of my other favorite platformers does not make this game anymore appealing to me personally.
Wait...so, you are somehow getting the unreleased extra levels from Super Meat Boy, in other games? What's going on I don't even

Indeed, but there are plenty such games on the marketplace that also deserve equally glowing terms but they don't get a fraction of the adoration.
And there are even more games that are stupid worthless pieces of shit, that try to get by on shallow, shameless, insincere ironic-cool style gimmicks alone (*cough* Scott Pilgrim *cough*). SMB is style and substance, the whole package. What's not to like?

Everyone says that. They seldom are.
Indeed, seldom is anyone right about anything. But every rule has an exception, and I am the exception, in that I am always right. Cheers.

[quote name='mokmoof']((SNIP vis-a-vis can all death really be avoided))[/quote]

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend that nonsense at all. I think it's annoying, and I don't have a qualm with anything you're saying. What I am trying, and failing miserably, in saying is that THAT standard, the one where "all death is your fault, not the game's." can be argued iteratively into being absolutely meaningless. I think it's annoying to claim as a merit because it is even moreso to defend or attack.

Am I making sense?

In this case, there has been a whole lot of publicity about the developers being (for lack of a better term) nice guys, operating on a very small budget and more or less living The Indie Dream, like 2D Boy before them. Indie, as a brand, couldn't ask for better.

((...))

If you start worrying about whether this game "deserves" the hype more than that game, you'll just drive yourself nuts. It's unproductive. In a word, it's MetaCritic.

See, I'm on the internets, arguing on internets message boards. I'm about 5 years too late to avoid driving myself nuts about SOMETHING IS NOT AS I LIKE IT ON THE INTERNETS. I just viscerally can't stand people getting that indie praise because, to me, it encourages what I see as about 70% of what is wrong with video games. Deliver the game, get praised for the game, not because two college kids coded it while living on ramen and subsisting on paypal, dammit.

See? I'm already a fucken basket case.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And I'm the exception to that "seldom." Cheers.[/QUOTE]
Cool story bro.

I just viscerally can't stand people getting that indie praise because, to me, it encourages what I see as about 70% of what is wrong with video games. Deliver the game, get praised for the game, not because two college kids coded it while living on ramen and subsisting on paypal, dammit.

Something to do with indie games, which is such a minuscule niche of gaming in the grand scheme of things, can somehow account for 70% of what is wrong with games? And how is indie praise (which make no mistake, I find quite irritating most of the time) any worse than the focus-tested, lowest-common-denominator, mass-market bullshit peddled to drooling dopes who keep shelling out for Call of Duty and Halo and Gears of War games, that makes up 90% of this hobby?

Also, college kids? If I'm not mistaken, these two are both in their thirties.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't have a problem with people not liking this game. But ignorant bullshit like "oh this is just a flash game" and mind-numbing contradictory babble like "the free DLC isn't REALLY DLC because DLC can't come from the developers, because the developers are just glorified users, and also REAL DLC can only come from the developers, so that's why this isn't TRUE and HONEST DLC, unlike Horse Armor, because it's not really different from what the users make, and thus, only developers who aren't developing users because they have an editor for not development users and can't not make something that isn't not something other than a different thing from something that isn't DLC because it's made by the development not user development glorified users, because if the developers have a way to create or edit the game, then anything they make isn't DLC, in fact, they never really made a game at all and they've actually been dead this whole time" is inexcusable.
[/QUOTE]

In this case the other guy is quite wrong and you're very clearly right. But ohmygodthatrunonsentence!

[quote name='eastx']But ohmygodthatrunonsentence![/QUOTE]

That was supposed to be part of the gag, to illustrate how confusing and nonsensical the other poster is. :(

lol I meant that you get extra free levels in tons of games. I don't get how Meat Boy is getting praised for what every game does or should be doing. I don't count what there doing as DLC when I see games such as Fallout 3, Minerva's den in Bioshock 2, Oblivion all offering dlcs that are hours long and add new substance to the game.

These guys? They will probably play in level editor for all of 5 hours and say NEW DLC LOLZ COME N GET IT. It's way too easy for them to add chapters, bro, and your crazy for thinking this is any kind of legitimate DLC.

Bought it and love it, plus it is good to send the message that 800 points is the right price for these xbla games. Can we get the genie back in the bottle?

Huge old school platforming fan (got level 9 and A-B-C-D on SMB2 japan SNES All Stars, plus 100s on every level + bonus levels on Yoshi's Island.)

This game wasn't on my radar till recently but the killer reviews plus the special launch price got me to jump.

Hope to help send a message to other XBLA developers about launch pricing and free DLC. Good stuff, really looking forward to digging into this game.

[quote name='prayformojo']Bought it and love it, plus it is good to send the message that 800 points is the right price for these xbla games. Can we get the genie back in the bottle?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. At the very least having a grace period on sale is a nice consolation.

I really want Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers but after seeing their prices during the Summer Sale I would feel pretty stupid buying them for 1200 pts each, even considering the Oct free pt sale. I'm going to hold off on those until the hopeful Christmas sale.

I don't get how Meat Boy is getting praised for what every game does or should be doing.
Because not even remotely all, or even most games get significant amounts of free downloadable content (on consoles, especially)?

I don't count what there doing as DLC when I see games such as Fallout 3, Minerva's den in Bioshock 2, Oblivion all offering dlcs that are hours long and add new substance to the game.
So, the SMB DLC isn't going to add new substance to the game? This is a platformer. What substance more do you want other than dozens of new levels? Would some nice useless character skins and unlocks of modes already contained in the base game be more to your liking?

You're comparing platformer levels to Fallout 3 quests, and by extension, a platformer, to games like Fallout and Oblivion and Bioshock. Not only that, but you're comparing dozens of free extra levels for a platformer, to $10 packs of quests for Fallout 3.

Do you not see the problem here? Yes, there is a difference in scale between SMB and Fallout 3, and that has something to do with the kinds of games they are. The scale of the add-on content is relative, and can't be directly compared.

These guys? They will probably play in level editor for all of 5 hours
I think you've reached critical mass of hyperbole, and can't even sound less intelligent anymore.

How do you think they add DLC to Oblivion and Fallout and Bioshock? Oh, yeah, they use editors. Yes, it probably takes longer for Bethesda and their dozens of employees to make massive amounts of from-scratch 3D content for their games, than it takes these two guys to make levels for SMB. But you need to compare these things relatively, not directly.

It's way too easy for them to add chapters, bro, and your crazy for thinking this is any kind of legitimate DLC.
So, DLC only counts as "legitimate" if it's extremely long packs of missions for already extremely long games, and costs ten dollars.

fuck it then, man, I guess this isn't DLC. It's something better.

Bought it today. Didn't even need to try the demo; just went straight for the full game. Sooooo worth it. I haven't loved/hated a game this much since Trials HD.

[quote name='Moltres423']Also CoffeeEdge, not everyone is going to be crazy about this game so don't get butthurt when someone comes in to criticize, rofl.[/QUOTE]

People still say "butthurt?" I'll assume you're 12.

Confirmed that it counts in the Oct sale right?

edit: yep

@Zeiu_HD The Deal of the Week and that particular sale for that XBLA game actually will count toward the promotion. ^JD

Direct response to the question by @Xboxsupport

edit2: Alright now thanks chief

Got to ask, is anybody else having trouble with their game saving?

Played it a couple hours, exited and lost all progress. Went back, did the levels again, same result (it seems to only save the first five levels I completed). Strangely, my gamertag is still listed on the leaderboard for levels that keep getting wiped out. But, my A+/complete/bandage info is gone each time.

The game is punishing enough as-is, this is driving me nuts.

bread's done
Back