Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

If the game doesn't include these 3rd party characters I'm not buying it:
-Bubsy the Bobcat
-Rocky Rodent
-Cool Spot
-THE NOID

Avoid the Noid! He ruins pizzas!
:lol:

[quote name='Gameboy415']If the game doesn't include these 3rd party characters I'm not buying it:
-Bubsy the Bobcat
-Rocky Rodent
-Cool Spot
-THE NOID
[/QUOTE]
YES. Bubsy vs. Noid completely defined 90s gaming. Either you hated Bubsy or you avoided the Noid. For Nintendo to ignore this rivalry yet again would be a huge insult to gamers everywhere. If they ignore them again, they better at least include Aero the Acrobat. Seriously.

I can see Nintendo releasing SSBB now, with no real online play, then a $30 fighting only update with online play (without the adventure modes--which are essentially meat for the 1-player portion) for next Christmas season or 2009.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I loved the first Bubsy game back in the day. If Nintendo released in on the virtual console I would buy it.[/QUOTE]

I liked the first one back in the day as well. But I wouldn't get it on the VC as I've tried to play it again on Emulators more recently and it doesn't hold up very well.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I can see Nintendo releasing SSBB now, with no real online play, then a $30 fighting only update with online play (without the adventure modes--which are essentially meat for the 1-player portion) for next Christmas season or 2009.[/QUOTE]

I don't see that happening. If Nintendo doesn't get more "serious" with online with SSBB this winter and Mario Kart next spring, then I just don't see them ever making a push this generation. i.e. will just see the odd online game here and there like Strikers and Pokemon etc., but no real concerted effort at getting major games online, or any kind of better friend list system etc.

[quote name='Gameboy415']FOR SHAME!! :shock:[/quote]

Yes, I know. I started writing the sentence as "characters from the ___ franchises," but I changed my mind and decided to just name the characters. I guess I forgot to switch Zelda to Link.

D'OH!

And in all fairness: Zelda is on the cover.

And yes, I do consider that funny-looking face she's making to be "duking it out."

Word.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I liked the first one back in the day as well. But I wouldn't get it on the VC as I've tried to play it again on Emulators more recently and it doesn't hold up very well.[/quote]
I might have to do that, I wouldn't want to buy it if it doesn't hold up very well.

[quote name='dothog']YES. Bubsy vs. Noid completely defined 90s gaming. Either you hated Bubsy or you avoided the Noid. For Nintendo to ignore this rivalry yet again would be a huge insult to gamers everywhere.[/QUOTE]

What a minute, when did Bubsy and the Noid have a rivalry? The Noid would kill Bubsy.

Sonic...hater...? Do those two words even work together? Isn't this like one of those double negatives or something?

Sonic needs to be in Brawl purely because the 90's are calling and they want their rivalry back.

[quote name='Legendaryhedgehog06']Sonic...hater...? Do those two words even work together? Isn't this like one of those double negatives or something?

Sonic needs to be in Brawl purely because the 90's are calling and they want their rivalry back.[/quote]
I don't really like the Sonic games, but I would be disappointed if Sonic isn't in Brawl, especially since their is a Mario and Sonic Olympics game coming out.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I don't really like the Sonic games, but I would be disappointed if Sonic isn't in Brawl, especially since their is a Mario and Sonic Olympics game coming out.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Fine with Sonic as a character, but never liked the games much as I thought they were too shallow/action oriented compared to Mario games.

[quote name='AmigoOne']pf, too actiony, pf, too shallow.

dmaul what sonic games have you played?[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the Genesis games versus the NES/SNES mario games, but I also played Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 which were less actiony (those just sucked in general, with just the cool level here and there).

But you can't tell me there was near the emphasis on taking your time, exploring the worlds, looking for secrets, etc. in the Sonic games as there was in Super Mario Bros 3 or especially Super Mario World.

Most of the time you're just blazing through the levels as fast as you can.

I get the appeal, but they were just not my cup of tea. I'm not saying they're god awful either, they are decent games. Just not up there with SMB3 or SMW which are right up there with Super Metroid on my personal all time favorite game list. I'd probably put the genesis sonic games in the 7-8.0 range.

mario_070906a.jpg

Pokemon stadium seemed inevitable and it seems the ground stage has been made a little less "annoying", at least in my opinion. (That gigantic mountain in the gc version was the worst part of the stage I thought.)

I'm not too much of a fan of Mario's new down move, especially since I'm not much of a Mario player since the gc release. I'm interested in how Mario's tornado is factored into the equation now. And if Mario could possibly use F.L.U.D.D. for some air time, it'll greatly increase his recovery, I think.

Diddy Kong looks bad ass too.

And maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who gets lost when people delve into the Mother and Kid Icarus worlds? I was like, "Who the fuck is Ness?" when I first unlocked him in Smash 64.

Now if there is no online so be it. I personally don't care for such after seeing most of my online Nintendo experiences being mediocre. I would hope people don't expect too much from Nintendo in the online dept.

...and fucking kids.

I'll say it again, it SHOULD have online, even if I have to just directly connect to my friend and forget about central servers.

I really wouldn't care if they gimped this game so tourney players couldn't get the 1 frame bullshit out of it.

No one on this board is a tourney level player, so I don't think I offended anyone.

[quote name='dallow']I'll say it again, it SHOULD have online, even if I have to just directly connect to my friend and forget about central servers.

I really wouldn't care if they gimped this game so tourney players couldn't get the 1 frame bullshit out of it.

No one on this board is a tourney level player, so I don't think I offended anyone.[/quote]Isn't that how all Wi-Fi games work?

[quote name='botticus']Isn't that how all Wi-Fi games work?[/quote]All of Nintendo's games?

I don't know, I don't know much about how Nintendo sets up their online services.

[quote name='dallow']I'll say it again, it SHOULD have online, even if I have to just directly connect to my friend and forget about central servers.

No one on this board is a tourney level player, so I don't think I offended anyone.[/QUOTE]
Well, even if there is Wi-fi, I doubt anyone would do serious tournament style play over it in the first place. But seriously, wi-fi should be the last place someone should care about the 1 frame bullshit.

[quote name='dallow']All of Nintendo's games?

I don't know, I don't know much about how Nintendo sets up their online services.[/quote]I was under the impression that they just had servers for matchmaking, all the games were run on P2P.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Two updates: Pokemon Stadium 2 and Mario Special Moves (even though it only shows one)[/quote]The RSS feed shows two updates.. the main page shows two updates?
For these four transformations, we’ve chosen types that were not present in Melee.
Then what was the rock formation in Melee called?

[quote name='Wolfkin']Then what was the rock formation in Melee called?[/QUOTE]
Maybe it was called "Rock". I associate rock with ground all the time, but in the pokemon world they are two different types...

[quote name='botticus']I was under the impression that they just had servers for matchmaking, all the games were run on P2P.[/quote]You're probably right.

Then I'll revise my statement.

They could even get rid of the matchmaking servers and allow me to just directly connect to my friend, like in the old dial up days.

[quote name='dallow']You're probably right.

Then I'll revise my statement.

They could even get rid of the matchmaking servers and allow me to just directly connect to my friend, like in the old dial up days.[/QUOTE]
That sounds awfully a lot like today... instead of punching in the friend code they punched in the ip address. Boy it was tough back then.

[quote name='option.iv']That sounds awfully a lot like today... instead of punching in the friend code they punched in the ip address. Boy it was tough back then.[/quote]Friend codes are the new IP addresses!

[quote name='botticus']I was under the impression that they just had servers for matchmaking, all the games were run on P2P.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Nintendo and MS online play works that way. Sony has dedicated servers for some games I believe.

[quote name='dallow']Friend codes are the new IP addresses![/QUOTE]

From the FAQ, you BITCH:

What is a System Code? Why do I have one? What can I use it for?
Much like Friend Codes on the Nintendo DS, a System Code is a unique number for your Wii system. In essence, it is your Wii's address/phone number/IP address/ID number. You use it to identify your system to others. This is important because online games will have "Friend Code" options where you can choose who you want to play, but you must have first exchanged a System Code with them. Note: It remains to be seen if you will be able to directly pick opponents, even in the Friends option - the Nintendo DS does not really allow this, and there is speculation that the Wii will be handled in the same way, despite being mostly unpopular.
eldad9 clarifies that: "It identifies the device; so it's not like a phone number, but a International Mobile Subscriber Identity (the mobile phone ID in the SIM card); not like an IP address (which can change) but a MAC address (which is constant)."

YEAH. TAKE THAT.

[quote name='Strell']From the FAQ, you BITCH:

YEAH. TAKE THAT.[/quote]It was a joke.
I know they aren't.....

Friend codes would be useless as there wouldn't be a matchmaking server in my hypothetical world.

Sure we see Pokemon, but people were wondering, "what about Diamond and Pearl Pokemon?"

Did anyone notice the Driftloon in PS2?!

ssbbdrifloon.jpg

The inclusion of D/P Pokemon chances just skyrocketed imo.

If its called pokemon stadium 2... does that mean we get a one? Since they could've easily still called it the original.

[quote name='zerowing']Sure we see Pokemon, but people were wondering, "what about Diamond and Pearl Pokemon?"

Did anyone notice the Driftloon in PS2?!

ssbbdrifloon.jpg

The inclusion of D/P Pokemon chances just skyrocketed imo.[/QUOTE]

That's just swamp gas.

[quote name='Strell']

Sonic totally sucks and doesn't need to be in Brawl.[/QUOTE]

REBUTTAL: Sonic totally doesn't suck and needs to be in Brawl. Otherwise, I'll be very disappointed.

[quote name='zerowing']
ssbbdrifloon.jpg

[/QUOTE]
It's like Big Trouble in Little China, but double it. Now if they'll just announce Jack Burton as an unlockable character.

saw this update coming but its better than i thought it would be...figured they'd just remak PS from the last game

dissapointed about mario being in fludd form...why don't they promote his new game?!

I dunno. Have they announced if those songs are the final versions or just midi arrangements? I'm gonna be ticked if we lose orchestrated music because frankly, that synth sounding stuff isn't doing it for me.... at all. I'm gonna be ticked if they fill this game to the hilt with awesome stuff and then cheap out on the music.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I was hoping my music meant I can load songs from the SD card. That would be sweeet.[/QUOTE]

No, that would suck. What the hell's the point in playing Smash without Nintendo tunes?

bread's done
Back