Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Strell']OH NO THE MUSIC IS MIDI I HOPE EVERYONE THROWS A FIT ABOUT IT[/quote]

Strell, you're a very good friend and I have much respect for you.

But.

ANYONE else who is going to use the acronym MIDI when talking about audible sound will be branded a moron. MIDI is control data. If you want to talk about "poor sound quality" then talk about shitty equipment that the midi data was interpretd by. Otherwise, you sound like a moron that heard an acronym and wants to be seen as "SAMRT" for using it.

The moron brand does not apply to Strell, not so much because I wouldn't want to apply it to him, but because it is physically impossible and I can prove it mathematically. You see, when Strell is around in his physical form, the lim as x->0 of [(sin(x))/x] IS NOT ONE.

I'm not even kidding. Go to his house. Take the limit. Compute it. The very fabric of our conscious world bends within his cranium. It flips out backwards, unfolds onto itself, and has crude, yet guaranteed to be pleasing sexual relations...
with your mom.

[quote name='The Crotch']I give this a Happy Kirby. This was my favourite stage in Melee, just as Hyrule Castle was my favourite in the original game. I'm curious what the "slight alterations" that Sakurai mentioned will be, though.[/quote]

probably just graphical changes. but maybe there is a huge update that will affect stages. this also made me want sheik and ganondorf ( complete with ganon final smash ) really bad. me wantee!

Hyrule was nice but it wasn't my favourite stage in Melee. I was a Coneria man myself. I don't have too many worries about it coming back. I know it will and i'm happy with that.[quote name='maigoyume']i was thinking wario man's moves just outprioritize 95% of the other movesets[/quote]that's the sort of vibe I got but that sort of tech sounds a bit out of place. Priority is sort of a mid-high tier concept. It would be like if next weeks update was L/R Canceling. Sure that'd be cool but it seems out of context with the tier level of updates till now.
[quote name='The Crotch']You know, given how many people were in the dark here about the motorcycle and the Waft, I'm gonna bet many of you have missed a lot of updates. Noobzer, for example, doesn't remember when assist trophies such as the Metroid and Advance Wars were showed off at E For All or TGS or something months ago.[/quote]I've been on the site since day one and I completely forgot. I should really go back to character pages once in a while it's all there.
[quote name='mega_n00bzer']judging from the screenshots, most are just slightly altered ''fight the baddie and ____ ''. but hopefully, later levels be more interesting[/quote]i think you're forgetting how many of the events in melee /were/ simply attack [insert character here] and [insert alt character here] in [insert special permanent mode here] format. There were something like 51 events in melee they weren't all awesome goodness. Some of them were just really really hard fights with characters choosen for you. I remember one required me to play as Yoshi and as much fun as I have with Yoshi and I'd play him against any one of you guys for fun he's .. well he's not my best character and that took me forever.
[quote name='mega_n00bzer']weird...HAL labrotory can tell the future?!?![/quote]or Hal Lab works on Kirby games maybe?
[quote name='The Crotch']False, according to an interview from around the Wii's launch. Mario 128 was never intended to be a game, but a series of game-like experiments. Marionette, however...[/quote]this of course depends on what you refer to as "Mario 128". Of course the tech demo that everyone remembers was never supposed to be a game but if you think about it we had Mario 64.. then we had the revolution announced naturally everyone assumed the next mario game would be Mario 128. In that sense it qualifies as the Mario Game that never was. I suppose you could even make the argument for Mario 128 'becoming' Mario Sunshine.. it'd be a weak argument but I could make it stand.

[quote name='Strell']OH NO THE MUSIC IS MIDI I HOPE EVERYONE THROWS A FIT ABOUT IT[/QUOTE]
That Wii can't handle that next-gen sound. :nottalking:

I hope we get more than 51 events. After the multiplayer, they were my favorite part of SSBM.

fuck Hyrule Temple. My picks for stages from Melee that must be included in Brawl:

1. Flat Zone[SIZE=-1]
2. Big Blue
3. Mushroom Kingdom 2
4. Mushroom Kingdom

Also, Saffron City from the first game would be great. I miss that stage. Why the hell did they only choose the worst stages from the first game to include in Melee?
[/SIZE]

[quote name='The Crotch']
Or, as SSBM came to a close, HAL began to think about what games they would work on next. I'm sure Kirby Air Ride was one of those games - hell, they'd probably thought of it years earlier - and they decided to include a reference to it in Melee.

But that would just make too much sense.[/quote]
No, I still think he's hallucinating.

mega_n00bzer: You've been drinking too much eggnog, son. :beer:

[quote name='Liquid 2']That Wii can't handle that next-gen sound. :nottalking:
[/quote]

Next-gen sound can't handle the Wii.

That's why Nintendo's removing mp3 support for the Wii.

. . .I feel it is time to start making Chuck Norris jokes, but replacing Chuck Norris with "The Wii."

[quote name='Wolfkin']this of course depends on what you refer to as "Mario 128". Of course the tech demo that everyone remembers was never supposed to be a game but if you think about it we had Mario 64.. then we had the revolution announced naturally everyone assumed the next mario game would be Mario 128. In that sense it qualifies as the Mario Game that never was. I suppose you could even make the argument for Mario 128 'becoming' Mario Sunshine.. it'd be a weak argument but I could make it stand.[/QUOTE]

Mario 128 (the Tech Demo) became two games. The multiple controlled characters concept of course became Pikmin. The gravity based concept of course became the basis for Galaxy.

Thats all there really was to the tech demo, at least showed to the public.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']do you really think they would name a game after one of fifty+ events in melee? it was a coincedence, nothing more[/quote]no the other way around. Personally I think it could be coincedence but I was saying maybe they already had the name for Kirby's game before they finished Melee.[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Next-gen sound can't handle the Wii.

That's why Nintendo's removing mp3 support for the Wii.

. . .I feel it is time to start making Chuck Norris jokes, but replacing Chuck Norris with "The Wii."[/quote]ok Nintendo removing mp3 support doesn't prove anything. That should never be used as an argument for anything other than Nintendo is freaking weird. They should never have done it. bah.

So I was thinking about Sakurai's comments on some of the assist trophies recently when it hit me - they're going to make some of them playable.

Think about it. First, we have several characters that, contrary to other assist trophies, are fully rendered in 3D in the style of the game:
Samurai Goroh
Knuckle Joe
Lyn
Little Mac
Gray Fox
Saki

Second, each of these characters is either heavily requested for inclusion in the game (Saki, Little Mac) or from a series we already know to be included in the game (everyone else).

Third, there are Sakurai's comments about Gray Fox and Saki. He mentioned in both posts that they would make cool inclusions as playable characters. While he's a master of engrish, I don't think he's one to tease us pointlessly.

Fourth, when you think about the time and effort spent giving these characters elaborate attack animations, as well as rendering and texturing them, it seems like that's already quite a bit of work done towards a playable character.

And fifth, there's the awesome factor. Sakurai seems to be a big fan of "Whoa! I can do that?" moments, and this has just enough vague hints, plus everyone and their brother wants it.

So that's my theory. We'll see if I'm right.

I'm going to think no. There's no way he would put up these characters as assist trophies and then reveal them as playable. any of them. Not when he could reveal them as playable in the first place.

Maybe they'll be playable the way Master Hand is playable. With action replay. The closest I could see. The VERY closest to having any character currently revealed as an assist trophy being playable might be if they were fourth controller playable. Like Camera Mode in melee where the fourth controller was controlling camera. Maybe he puts in a mode where fourth controller controls the ATs. Like Duck Hunt.

People make such a big deal about assist trophies that I think we're starting to forget they're just glorified Pokéballs. The only reason Knuckle Joe doesn't come out of a pokéball is because it would just be too weird. So they had to create a whole new universal pokéball and that's how we got the idea for assist trophies.

wi-fi03_071203c-l.jpg

Yes Nate, they do.

I do like how we can have different taunts for different friends, but other then that this is a really weak update, especially considering that today is December 3rd. He should have given us a new character or new feature today.
Instead he shows us how stupid friend codes are.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Wow, what a lousy update. "Look at how crippled our online functionality is! Isn't it GREAT!?"[/QUOTE]
I like the "Simple is Best" comment on the update. Yup. It doesn't get any easier than both parties having to exchange and input 12 digit codes, and again for every other person they want to add. Request/confirm Nintendo.. I promise I won't befriend any rapists.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I do like how we can have different taunts for different friends, but other then that this is a really weak update, especially considering that today is December 3rd..[/QUOTE]
Oh yeaa good point. They should have shown something special for the former release date. At least a new movie. Maybe tomorrow will have something good.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I like the "Simple is Best" comment on the update. Yup. It doesn't get any easier than both parties having to exchange and input 12 digit codes, and again for every other person they want to add. Request/confirm Nintendo.. I promise I won't befriend any rapists.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Simple?

"Hey Billy, want to play Smash Brothers"
"Sure!"
"Alright, just enter this 14 digit number into your console that's really hard to remember. Do you have a pen? No? Alright, Ill email it to you. Just login and check your email and then enter it into your console. This is soooo easy!"

Also, according to their images there is a limit of 64 friend codes per console. Not earth shattering, but why would they make a limit at all?

Any hope that they are treating this like Aprils fools day because it was the old release date, and that in a couple of hours theyll post an "LOL, just kidding, we really have a super awesome non-friend code system. here's pics"

I'm not actually upset about it, we all knew it was coming, but.....I'm a dreamer, you know?

Gotta give Nintendo props for being innovative and using friend codes since no other company uses them. After all, being unique is what the Wii/DS is all about.

:roll:

[quote name='tankexmortis']Wow, what a lousy update. "Look at how crippled our online functionality is! Isn't it GREAT!?"[/QUOTE]
Heh.

I'm sorry for complaining, but these updates over the past month have been piss poor. Are there no new characters supposed to be revealed?? They still have plenty of characters from the last games to announce! Quit these crappy updates about their broken online mode and start showing updates with substance. New levels (not remakes, that should all be ONE update), or new characters would be nice.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Wow, what a lousy update. "Look at how crippled our online functionality is! Isn't it GREAT!?"[/quote]
This is the main menu for Wi-Fi!​
There are two primary connection methods. The names of these methods are "With Friends" and "With Anyone." The menus and structures of each method are pretty different.

I think it sucks that friend codes are there, but at least you can play random matches with anyone sans friend codes.. because that feature exists, I wouldn't call the online functionality total crap -- just the friend list portion.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but is that one user who's named Grit some sort of hint regarding Advance Wars-related things to come?

Also real men use items.

[quote name='Kyattsuai']Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but is that one user who's named Grit some sort of hint regarding Advance Wars-related things to come?

Also real men use items.[/QUOTE]

Advanced Wars soliders and units are assist trophies. From the press junket last month.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I think it sucks that friend codes are there, but at least you can play random matches with anyone sans friend codes.. because that feature exists, I wouldn't call the online functionality total crap -- just the friend list portion.[/quote]
Except you can't actually communicate with them (hell, you can barely communicate with your friends), which makes it only slightly better than playing against CPUs.

This isn't going to affect me for a while anyway, since my connection is too lousy to play games online - but it pisses me off to watch Nintendo screw us in the name of "the children". Especially when Nintendo's target market is non-gamers; that is, people who don't like complexity, but like to be treated as adults.

[quote name='tayaf69']I'm sorry for complaining, but these updates over the past month have been piss poor. Are there no new characters supposed to be revealed?? They still have plenty of characters from the last games to announce! Quit these crappy updates about their broken online mode and start showing updates with substance. New levels (not remakes, that should all be ONE update), or new characters would be nice.[/quote]

So far, they've announced twenty three playable characters, and countless assist trophies. I don't know about you, but I'd like to have a surprise or two in the game, still.

I guess it's twenty two if Samus and ZS-Samus are counted as ONE.

[quote name='dallow']We're lucky to have online at all.[/quote]
That's like saying "we're lucky to have analog sticks".* Or "we're lucky to have rumble."**
It's a feature so common that it would be stupid and backwards not to have it. Of course, the way they go about it is still pretty stupid.

*of course, if I remember correctly Nintendo originally didn't want to have an analog stick/nunchuk, just the Wiimote.
**of course, Sony didn't include rumble on the SIXASIS, and Nintendo didn't include it on the Wavebird, so I guess backwards steps are actually pretty common in this industry?

[quote name='tankexmortis']That's like saying "we're lucky to have analog sticks".* Or "we're lucky to have rumble."**
It's a feature so common that it would be stupid and backwards not to have it. Of course, the way they go about it is still pretty stupid.

*of course, if I remember correctly Nintendo originally didn't want to have an analog stick/nunchuk, just the Wiimote.
**of course, Sony didn't include rumble on the SIXASIS, and Nintendo didn't include it on the Wavebird, so I guess backwards steps are actually pretty common in this industry?[/quote]This is Nintendo.

Like I said, we're lucky.

[quote name='tankexmortis']That's like saying "we're lucky to have analog sticks".* Or "we're lucky to have rumble."**

**of course, Sony didn't include rumble on the SIXASIS, and Nintendo didn't include it on the Wavebird, so I guess backwards steps are actually pretty common in this industry?[/quote]

I disagree about online being 'so common'. Looking at simply consoles... the only one that has ever done it RIGHT is XBox Live. DC and PS2 had tepid online support, at best, and the PS3 is still lagging behind Live in nearly every category.

So, outside of Live, I fail to see what's so 'common' about online. Nintendo, outside of the DS, hasn't really done it before now, and I, frankly, don't think they, or the games, have really suffered for it. The question that most companies have to ask at this point is... how can we do online without directly copying Live?

Nintendo has always doen their own thing, for better or for worse. Personally, I also think they recognize that just because games CAN be online, doesn't mean they SHOULD be. I mean, Guitar Hero online? Playing fake guitar with other people that you never see? That's just a bit ridiculous, in my opinion.

I agree with dallow... we're lucky to get online support for this AT ALL, so be happy with it, even if the system they've used is wonky. Nintendo likes party games... games where people play in the same room. The Wii is built on that. I'm fairly certain that they feel, rightly, that online ruins that expierience a bit. However, people clamored for online, so they gave it to them.

Again, let's just be happy they implemented it in the first place, as I guarantee they didn't want to.

[quote name='maigoyume']ah the friend list, at least we only have to enter it once[/quote]once? what are you meaning? By my count this is pretty much twice. If I like you I have to enter the code once for the Wii and again for Smash.[quote name='dallow']We're lucky to have online at all.[/quote]sad but true.. sad.[quote name='007'] how can we do online without directly copying Live? [/quote]I'm not saying this isn't Nintendo's additude. I'm sayign why is this Nitnendo's additude. one of the major complaints I've heard since Halo 2 is why doesn't everyone copy this system. Halo 2 supposidly has the greatest match-making system ever. Everyone should at least 90% copy it. Look at the D-Pad. When nintendo came out with a D-Pad it became nearly standard. The same with rumble (if I recall correctly). I'm not saying we need to have everything live has but there's no current excuse for not having decent online. PS2 and Dreamcast aren't the only examples to look at. Warcraft II has a decent online. Come on Nintendo work with us.

How do we know the online won't have some sort of online matchmaking using your skill level?

And I'm sorry to disagree with just about everyone on here, but I(as a Nintendo stock holder) support friend codes.

Nintendo has a lot more to lose if a parent sees/hears something evil during their kids online experience than it does to gain by having an open online experience.

There are a lot of kids playing these games, and once the first "My children heard naughty words while playing Wii" segment hits the local news, their goodwill (which took over 20 years to build up) is gone.

I wish there was an "adult" network option, but we all know that kids would find a way to connect to it, so it wouldn't be a realistic alternative.

Yes, every game should use the Wii Friend codes(No game-specific FC), but the concept of friend codes does make sense to me.

[quote name='dallow']This is Nintendo.

Like I said, we're lucky.[/quote]

As far as online is concerned - certainly so. I'm amazed that people are back to their complaints. By all means, you deserve to be pissed off and all, I just don't have the same kind of dedication towards hating something ever so "faithfully." I try, don't get me wrong. I go "grr damn FRIEND CODES!" and I shake my fists in the air, as if I was holding giant sticks with which I would hit people, like, on the head and whatnot.

But usually, ten or fifteen minutes goes by, and I find out that the family is arriving, like, tomorrow, and that my wife and I suddenly have to clean. And my hatred for Friend Codes seems so distant, and ever so, like, "childish." And instead, I go "grr damn FAMILY" - I LIKE MY PAPERS ON THE FLOOR, THEY ARE ORGANIZED BY THEIR RESPECTIVE HISTORIC TIME PERIOD, SUBJECT, AND COMPOSER. STOP MAKING ME PUT THINGS UP, THAT'S HOW SHIT GETS LOST.

[quote name='hufferstl']How do we know the online won't have some sort of online matchmaking using your skill level?

And I'm sorry to disagree with just about everyone on here, but I(as a Nintendo stock holder) support friend codes.

Nintendo has a lot more to lose if a parent sees/hears something evil during their kids online experience than it does to gain by having an open online experience.

There are a lot of kids playing these games, and once the first "My children heard naughty words while playing Wii" segment hits the local news, their goodwill (which took over 20 years to build up) is gone.

I wish there was an "adult" network option, but we all know that kids would find a way to connect to it, so it wouldn't be a realistic alternative.

Yes, every game should use the Wii Friend codes(No game-specific FC), but the concept of friend codes does make sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Why should it be Nintendo's responsibility to parent kids? I don't disagree that tools can't be provided which help parents limit the amount of access their kids have, but ideally it should be the responsibility of the parent to control the content their kids have access to, not Nintendo. This is where the FC system falls short. I could imagine other ways of opening up access while still maintaining the "parent friendly" idea of the console, but Nintendo still manages to have a firm grasp on their archaic ways.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Why should it be Nintendo's responsibility to parent kids? I don't disagree that tools can't be provided which help parents limit the amount of access their kids have, but ideally it should be the responsibility of the parent to control the content their kids have access to, not Nintendo. This is where the FC system falls short. I could imagine other ways of opening up access while still maintaining the "parent friendly" idea of the console, but Nintendo still manages to have a firm grasp on their archaic ways.[/QUOTE]

what he said

[quote name='dallow']I can hear Strell's blood boiling.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you say that.

I've been very clear from the start about Friend Codes. Nintendo's official word is that "we're protecting kids from predators." Which goes hand in hand with "we're covering our own ass."

That is their public response.

But we all know - quite clearly, if you think about it - is that they still don't 100% believe online gaming is that big of a deal. I do not know how it is in Japan, but I'm fairly sure it is not the selling point it is here in America. Because of that, and because NoJ supersedes NoA in terms of what to do regarding development and R&D, they don't think online gaming is that big of a deal, and because of that, they don't want to front the cash.

So while the official word is this nonsense about protecting children and such, we all know it goes back to money. It is that simple.

What bothers me the most about this isn't so much the FCs, it's the poor implementation of them and the absolute refusal to make even minor changes to the system. The system code should be all we should use. And we should be able to set up 500 of them in a system, and simply add people to each game. Metroid Prime 3 sort of did this since it scanned your registered friends and allowed you to exchange codes, but the problem is that my Address Book is full, so I can't add new people to it (such as MarioColbert). So until I can expand the list OR there's a way to easily alter the entire format, it's not going to change. When it's game specific lists, this allows for more freedom, but at the cost of much more set-up.

If it were scaled back to the system codes, I imagine it wouldn't be as painful as it is to everyone.

Me? I don't really care. Doesn't take me long to append codes to the CAGMasterFCList.txt I have, print it out every few months, and plop it next to my console. Takes a minute at the most to add a code. Same thing I do with DS friend codes, e-mail lists, cell phone numbers, etc. I just keep it all in a big text file, and print out hard copies just in case.

Tedious? Yeah. But I can live with it.

If you don't want to use it, fine. I don't want to kick your ass online, and then listen to bitch even more if something this small gets under your skin that much.

[quote name='zewone']Does everyone still need Uno lobby for voice chatting?

Or what's everyone's plan?[/QUOTE]

Since it looks doubtful I'll have a damn 360 by the time this hits, I'm hoping I can get a wireless headset and get people up on Skype or something.

If I magically get a 360, then I'll do whatever you current owners say works the easiest.

I'm not playing dallow until I can hear his womanly screams as his Peach gets her breakfast made.

Which reminds me - to all you people hoping for native, in-game voice chat? Not going to happen. I'm calling it now. I'm even willing to take a bet on it. I'll buy you a VC game of your choice. Any takers?

bread's done
Back