Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

It's a situation where I understand no matter how rational my response is, it's not going to change everyone's mind, since they made them up ages ago and absolutely refuse to listen to anything.

Which is fine, since part of their complaints are completely valid.

But part of me hears it like "my refrigerator can't keep my ice cream frozen." Well yeah, stupid. Put it in the freezer.

It's just something blown out of proportion, much more so because two competing companies offer vastly improved interfaces.

I think the only way it would change would be if Nintendo were to charge for it, which I'd be all for if it were really cheap. I don't know how Sony offers an XBL-esque platform for free.

[quote name='Strell']It's a situation where I understand no matter how rational my response is, it's not going to change everyone's mind, since they made them up ages ago and absolutely refuse to listen to anything.

But part of me hears it like "my refrigerator can't keep my ice cream frozen." Well yeah, stupid. Put it in the freezer.

It's just something blown out of proportion, much more so because two competing companies offer vastly improved interfaces.

I think the only way it would change would be if Nintendo were to charge for it, which I'd be all for if it were really cheap. I don't know how Sony offers an XBL-esque platform for free.[/quote]

My fridge keeps stuff frozen -- I hate that damn thing. I had cans of pop explode recently.

[quote name='Strell']It's a situation where I understand no matter how rational my response is, it's not going to change everyone's mind, since they made them up ages ago and absolutely refuse to listen to anything.

I think the only way it would change would be if Nintendo were to charge for it, which I'd be all for if it were really cheap. I don't know how Sony offers an XBL-esque platform for free.[/QUOTE]

I think most of us are aware that friend codes suck. But it's more or less the potential of Brawl online capabilities that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Online play won't change the "fun" aspect of the game at its core, I still play Melee to this day, even though it lacks said online capabilities.

But it seems that we're stuck with this kind of online implementation until someone at Nintendo finally decides to defy the status quo.

[quote name='MarioColbert']So far, they've announced twenty three playable characters, and countless assist trophies. I don't know about you, but I'd like to have a surprise or two in the game, still.

I guess it's twenty two if Samus and ZS-Samus are counted as ONE.[/QUOTE]
I would love to unlock characters that I had no idea about, but I guess I'm just worried that Nintendo will reveal almost everything about this game through these updates and there aren't too many updates left (~40 or so I guess). Hopefully you're right though. I'd love to be playing the game and find out I just unlocked Megaman.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Nintendo...

MAKE SYSTEM CODES![/QUOTE]
I might be mistaken since I traded it in after beating it, but I believe Metroid used your existing friends list from the Wii system codes. They should have done the same in Smash, however it seems each Profile might have their own code.

Pokemon update. Boo-urns.

Some of those models look like the ones they used in Stadium/Coliseum.

EDIT: If they allowed for friend requests, I would have no problem with friend codes.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Some of those models look like the ones they used in Stadium/Coliseum.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's Battle Revolution.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Actually, it's Battle Revolution.[/quote]

I thought they updated the models for that game. At least an extra coat of polish.

If Friend codes actually worked the way we thought they would (system wide) there would definitely be a LOT less complaints. As annoying as it seems I'm not sure I'd have a problem with system-wide codes. In terms of online that's all I really want. Strell doesn't get how PS3 is free. I don't get how Mircosoft gets away with charging $50 for something that's been free since Warcraft II. My needs are simple. I want to play online with my friends and maintain a friends list. Voicechat-Textchat... secondary. If I could get online with list AND communication (in and/or out of game) There's nothing more that needs to be there.

[quote name='Strell']How do I not get that Sony's is free?

I said clearly I don't know how they can match XBL and still be free.[/quote]

becuse they want to woo you and win the next media war.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I might be mistaken since I traded it in after beating it, but I believe Metroid used your existing friends list from the Wii system codes. They should have done the same in Smash, however it seems each Profile might have their own code.

Pokemon update. Boo-urns.[/quote]
Yeah actual multiplayer requires game specific friend codes, while non-multiplayer (like the achievements in Metroid, level editor in Elebits, images in Mario Galaxy, etc) uses the Wii's system code.

[quote name='Strell']How do I not get that Sony's is free?

I said clearly I don't know how they can match XBL and still be free.[/quote]bah. it's not a big deal. if it comes up again I'll try to explain.. don't have the energy.. finals week.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Actually, it's Battle Revolution.[/quote]

They look more like they were ripped straight from Melee.

Neat music.

Wonder if it is worth tracking down the GB game?

[quote name='Nohbdy']SPOILED FUTURE UPDATE:

TOTAKEKE'S SONG CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL

If you get the reference, you know obscure shit.[/QUOTE]

Good guess, actually, given X.

refresh?
OR we're making shit up, and we wanted it to be more believable than "OMG, Mega Man and Riku are new characters and the theme from the A-Team is included!"

I like the idea of giving losing players an extra chance with an FS. Kind like Mario Kart with the good items. Tournament pansies will hate it, but they won't be playing with FS anyway.

And then there’s an element known as the Pity Final Smash. Once a significant point advantage is reached, the losing player is given a bonus chance. When you get this, you will reappear after a KO in Final Smash standby mode.
I like it. I agree with tankexmortis the tourny will hate it but i think it's kinda cool. an ingame handicap. I kinda wish there was a way to turn off pitysmashes and keep the regular smashes.. but who knows maybe you can.[quote name='Gameboy415']Here's some info on X:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(Game_Boy_game)
[/quote] Might want to patch up that link there.

[quote name='Nohbdy']TOTAKEKE'S SONG CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL

If you get the reference, you know obscure shit.[/quote] what does KK Slider have to do with this? Unless you are trying and failing to refer to Totaka's song.
My song choices for this game were made very carefully after surveying song popularity, using opinions submitted to the Smash Bros. web site and listening to the songs themselves.
What is he talking about? When was there an opportunity to suggest song ideas?

website working. that music reminds me of the advance wars music. its feels like nintendo are making it ''cool'', but the music is great, so meh, I'm ok with that. I really like how the smash balls work. I thought they were a pick-up-and-blast-the-shit-out-of-opponents, but they can be stolen? awesome

[quote name='Wolfkin']What is he talking about? When was there an opportunity to suggest song ideas?[/QUOTE]
The only thing I can remember is where there was that site where you could suggest characters. Maybe he's referring to that, and he's using character submissions as ideas for music? I don't recall anything else.

[quote name='elwood731']The only thing I can remember is where there was that site where you could suggest characters. Maybe he's referring to that, and he's using character submissions as ideas for music? I don't recall anything else.[/quote]

funny you mention that, because there are a lot of characters and AT's seem that sakuri is actually browsing game forums and announcing requested characters. I browsed brawl threads from a year ago, and a LOT of the characters people wanted are now announced.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']funny you mention that, because there are a lot of characters and AT's seem that sakuri is actually browsing game forums and announcing requested characters. I browsed brawl threads from a year ago, and a LOT of the characters people wanted are now announced.[/quote]Not really...
1: There is a limited pool of characters to draw from.
2: There is a lot of Internet.
3: In an Internet so big, virtually everything will be suggested at least once.
4: There was a Japanese-only poll on which characters should be included ages ago, anyway.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Hey, I like the idea of Pity Smashes, and I'm one of them there tournament pansies.

Just with an open mind.[/quote]then you sir.. are not a tournament pansy[quote name='crystalklear64']Final Smash mode where you have unlimited final smashes plox.[/quote]sounds cool in theory but it wouldn't work. Take for instance MetaKnight versus Sonic, Link vs Mario. In unlimited FS it's unbalanced.

[quote name='Wolfkin']sounds cool in theory but it wouldn't work. Take for instance MetaKnight versus Sonic, Link vs Mario. In unlimited FS it's unbalanced.[/quote]Except maybe for a few specific characters, it wouldn't be meant for actual serious play - more just for fucking around. Which, really, sounds like the sort of thing you use the training mode for. Yay item spawn!

EDIT: And besides that, Giga Bowser Vs Steamroller Landmaster Tank would be fucking awesome.

[quote name='Wolfkin']sounds cool in theory but it wouldn't work. Take for instance MetaKnight versus Sonic, Link vs Mario. In unlimited FS it's unbalanced.[/quote]

Yes, but it does bring up an interesting point. In SSBM, you could crank the item frequency setting way up, and turn off all but one item. If you set the items to Final Smash Orbs only, and cranked the frequency way up, then you would basically have unlimited final smashes. But the characters with one-hit-kill final smashes would dominate.

bread's done
Back