Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Zing']I am a newb to the Smash Brothers games, and I honestly don't get it.

I have played many other fighting games and this just feels so random. It's like button mashing heaven with a hojillion items falling from the sky, and randomly falling off the map due to it scrolling around or floors dropping. I try standard fighting game things like blocking, then counter attacking and it just doesn't work. It ends up just being two people swinging madly. The smash attacks seem too slow to be useful (even when you don't charge them at all), and you just get hit by a normal punch.

I am still trying, but I really don't get the strategy, tactics, or appeal of this game.[/quote]

I feel the same way about normal 1 on 1 games, like Tekken and Soul Caliber. I can't stand those games, there too hard, and anyone can win by button smashing. In Smash Bros, if you button smash, you'll just do random attacks, while we chunk items at you or just stand and laugh.

Countering? The Only person that can counter is Marth and Ike. Just Dodge roll alot, and edge guard. And when a smash ball comes up, aim for the player going after it, not the ball itself ;)

Maybe you should practice with a level 5 computer or so. And that ends the tips from a Melee Veteran :p

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']You dont have to worry about that happening :)

I'm avoiding online as much as possible, ideally I would like to entirely. Right now I'm trying to set up some Austin weekly in-person meetings with some people at Smashboards.[/quote]

Where in Austin? That's about a 2 hour drive for me.

Beef & JFD frome earlier, great games!!! We also played with someone else, but I don't remember :lol:

To Rig & Walrus, great games too!!! WHO WAS THE BASTARD WHO MADE THE GAME LAG !??!

VERONICA MARS, WILL YOU PLEASE ADD ME BACK!
Blackbird, what is your code? I read that you added me, so I'll add you back.

EDIT: To anyone who has played me, what color am I coming up as? (The connection color). I'm curious to see what mine is.

[quote name='botticus']Good matches, Ecofreak. Just glad I'm starting to get comfortable with someone, even if it's Lucas. :lol:[/quote]
Lucas is great. He inadvertently replaced Ness as my main.

Good games, guys.

Seems like once every match the lag would take over for a minute or so.

Gotta work on my fucking Lucas. I killed myself a couple of times with his jump.

And boo, I see you coming for me first each time you got that Final Smash off! :D

3 other friends and I just spent 30 mins trying to get a match and no go. we tried to have different people host but no luck.

[quote name='Riyonuk']People actually expect you to go into there house? I'm not getting raped >.>[/quote]

I went to visit dallow in dallas and Strell in College Station prior to meeting them.

I assure you my asshole is fine. But to be fair, once it callouses over, theres really no pain.

[quote name='Wooten']I didn't think I was all that good but thank you. /humble
All my local friends were insanely good at melee so I lived years thinking I was the worst smash bros player ever.

edit: I think Ikhon won more matches anyway :)[/quote]

First time I lost was with you guys.
Acutally, I don't know who was the guy that kept beating me.
I thought it was you :/
I'm glad I was always second, but that's cuz I fly around and stuffs :)

hey guys just got the game today, and I have played if for about 4 hours straight, so I think Im ready to jump online, If anyone wants to play add me

here is my code
3609-0758-1186

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I went to visit dallow in dallas and Strell in College Station prior to meeting them.

I assure you my asshole is fine. But to be fair, once it callouses over, theres really no pain.[/quote]

:applause:
I don't know if to be laughing at that or scared at your comment

[quote name='cheapwiigamer']VMars are you still online? I'm back from driving around the gf and want to play a little more.[/quote]

So you can man-handle me some more XD
I'll be on in about 25 minutes.

List of CAGs I've added so far:

lilboo
JohnnyFoxDarko
Strell
JolietJake
BigSpoonyBard
mr ryles
Mr. Beef
eliter1 / KBORK
Sofa King Kool
Greetard
Casey Ryback
Rig
dcfox
io
CJDUB
mntdewzee
JoeB1233
mr famous
Sparkie
rendochai
78whitey / Trav

If my count is right, that plus the people I know in real life puts me at somewhere in the upper twenties in terms of slots filled.

Just a heads up:

I think I've figured out the "awaiting registration" issue, in case no one else has put forward a theory yet.

I think it's going to say awaiting until you and the other person are both connected to Wifi at the same time. I don't think it's going to update in the background.

I suspect it's the exact same way the Wii System Code works, in that it didn't go black until some time had passed and both people had input the codes. The difference is that WiiConnect24 could get those authorized while machines were techincally off-but-connected. Brawl doesn't work the same way - it only updates the information when the user specifically connects to Wifi.

However, it's not connecting and then checking all the codes. All it's doing is registering who is online at the same time as you. So, if you are online and a person who was tagged as "awaiting" gets online at some point during your connection, then it gets updated.

That's my theory. I don't know if anyone else has said anything about it until now. I see people in here talking about online games that I've registered on my side, but they still show as awaiting.

This would explain that.

I was hoping he'd get so smashed (haha! pun!) that he wouldn't remember. Or, if he DID remember, that he'd make up some kind of story to ease his shattered psyche.

This means we can rule out that he got drunk afterward.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Good fights MATT and DASu (not sure what you're CAG names are, I've added quite a few people to my friends list, so I lost track). I must say, I really enjoyed the scuffles to obtain the smash ball :lol:

I love the ledge-hanging trick. I managed to kill one of you with that. Can't remember who though...[/quote]

That was awesome Sofa!! (I'm Matt) Your Lucario final smash was deadly - especially when you got it 4 or 5 times in a row - Glad that I was able to have some good games with CAGs

To others out there - please add me (and PM your code) so we can get more games going

[quote name='InuFaye']good matches panda and rwen[/QUOTE]

Yah. I was trying to see if you guys were on again since my roommate stopped playing with me, but I couldn't connect. Kept giving me an error code. GG.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']That was awesome Sofa!! (I'm Matt) Your Lucario final smash was deadly - especially when you got it 4 or 5 times in a row[/quote]

Heh, yeah, that was funny...:lol:

My connection appears to not be working at the moment.

I keep trying to join, but it ultimately fails (no error code given). Started a room but no one tried to join, or couldn't join. One or the other.

Edit: And just figured out why. Even though I set a static IP, the Wii isn't using it. I need it to use the static I set because it's DMZ'd, which puts it beyond all the firewalls and port restrictions. Should be easy to fix (or it better be).

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I made a room...some of you are online but don't join :/[/quote]

Are you Spark on SSBB? I try to join but can't

Edit: Join my room

[venting]I own Super Smash Bros Melee and have unlocked all the characters, all the modes, and all the levels save one. But for the life of me I can't unlock anyone in Brawl. I've faced
Luigi
5 times,
Marth and Falco
, and I have yet to win. I went into SSE to unlock some characters, and I hated it. It's incredibly boring and tedious. And the controls seem much more floaty and imprecise than Melee. I've never been more frustrated by a video game in my life. I never return or trade in anything, but I'm seriously considering doing that for Brawl.[/venting]

Don't feel bad, I haven't unlocked anyone either. I've spent the majority of my time just playing CAGs online. Now that I'm more used to Brawl, I think I like it even though it is definitely slower than melee.

I just unlocked Snake and there's a great little detail:
Whenever you're kicking ass as said Snake, the crowd starts chanting "SNAKE, SNAKE, SNAAAAAAAAKE!" just like the Game Over screen in MGS :lol:

VM - are you up for a game? want me to try and create a room or something where other CAG's can join? If they can join, I'm online but not in a room, can't join Boo's game apparently.

Anybody here remotely even close to unlocking all the challenges? That task is incredibly tedious- beat all characters on classic, target smash 1-5, multibrawl, boss battle and allstar. I'm getting close to beating classic and target smash 1-2 for all characters.

At least it pales in comparison with F-Zero 64. You have to beat all stages and difficulties with all the characters. In Smash Brother Brawl, I can at least spam easy mode multiple times and play harder difficulty with one prefer character.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I just unlocked Snake and there's a great little detail:
Whenever you're kicking ass as said Snake, the crowd starts chanting "SNAKE, SNAKE, SNAAAAAAAAKE!" just like the Game Over screen in MGS :lol:
[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I love this games for it's subtle nuances like that. I spent about an hour last night just listening to the music in the options. Brought back tons of memories.

bread's done
Back