Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

So, we change our stance from "justified friend code trading" to "discussion". You can now feel free to post your friend codes in the new thread, while this thread will be used for discussion solely.

I have a question. Is it possible to update this game through a nintendo firmware update? I'm curious if it would be possible for them to adjust the classic controller settings to allow movement with the dpad.

Finished SSE at around 85% or so. Gotta go back and unlock the last few characters at some point.

Wasn't a perfect game, but it was a good side mode .

[quote name='blackbird3216']So, we change our stance from "justified friend code trading" to "discussion". You can now feel free to post your friend codes in the new thread, while this thread will be used for discussion solely.[/quote]

Yeah, this could be used for match discussions, planning events or whatnot.

Alright, so, when do you think we should start a CAG tournament? I was thinking we should have 2.

Tournament 1

1 v 1
3 stock
Random stage
You choose your character
Items on

Tournament 2

1 v 1
3 stock
Final Destination
You choose your character
Items off

[quote name='blackbird3216']wait, we could do 32player tournaments online? *Gasp*

Number one seems like anyone could win, but #2 is all about skill.[/quote]
You can't do an actual "tournament", but on CAG we could set up a bracket and schedule matches and do it that way.

And don't get my started about skill.... I really think that items add a whole new level of strategy, but most tournament players disagrees with me.

[quote name='botticus']Finished SSE at around 85% or so. Gotta go back and unlock the last few characters at some point.

Wasn't a perfect game, but it was a good side mode .[/quote]

I have like 75 or 78 percent. I'm at the last part so hopefully it isn't much longer.

[quote name='jman619']Three different brawl topics. Which one do I ask if someone wanted to play or whatever. Cause there no matches coming up at all lol.[/quote]

This one for setting up online matches and stuff. If you need friend codes, use the Code thread. Any other general questions about it, go in the main thread.

Wow, this is the first time I've been back to this thread since the game came out in Japan - I was hiding from spoilers.

Actually unlocked the last character and stage yesterday - kinda let down by the lack of big surprises other than R.O.B. No more third party characters? Lame.I'm loving this so far though. Wish I could play online without lag from hell.

If anyone's getting into the stage builder, let me know - I'm not far into it myself yet, but I'd love to have some people to swap stages with as a motivator.

One thing: did anyone else think it was weird how Animal Crossing had its own large section in both the stickers and trophies? I was sure that'd mean a secret AC character.

EDIT: and yeah, I used to play as Fox and Marth, but I don't like them much anymore. Not sure what it is, they just don't feel the same. I'm mostly playing as Sonic and Wolf.

EDIT AGAIN: I like filling out questionarres. Saw this a few pages back and added some more to it so I could indulge my OCD.

Favorite new character/Why?
Sonic. I was a SEGA fanboy as a small child, so I've dreamed of being able to make him kick Mario's ass for years. Plus I just love the way he plays, even if his B moves are mostly worthless.

Least favorite new character/Why?
Lucario. Because he's not Mewtwo.

Favorite new stage/Why?
Wario Ware. Adds some fun variety. Also loving Pictochat, and Mario Bros and 75m both give me nerdgasms.

Least favorite new stage/Why?

Hate to join all the hate, but New Pork City's zoomed out camera pisses me off quite a bit. Still, at least it's interesting. I don't really dislike any of them that much.

Favorite Final Smash?
Jigglypuff's is the best in the game - it terrifies and delights me at the same time. I think its power is more psychological than physical.

Least favorite final smash?
Fox, Wolf, and Falco's. For a game that was delayed so damn much, you think they could've not used the same damn FS three fucking times!

Favorite new item?
Other than the smash ball, the Smart Bomb. Who doesn't love a gigantic freaking explosion?

Least favorite new item?
Soccer ball. I can never tell which way I'm gonna hit it and it doesn't seem to do much anyway.

Fav Assist Trophy?
Mr. Resetti.

Least favorite Assist Trophy?
Mr. Resetti.

Biggest complaint about Brawl?

Not being able to save the stage of the day or access an archive. There's no reason for that other than to piss us off.

Man. The computer really sucks at using some Final Smashes. I haven't seen the Landmaster come out yet without the driver suiciding. And Giga Bowser is just sad.[quote name='Cambot']
Conversely, nothing annoys me more in this game that when I get a trophy stand and totally whiff while trying to capture an enemy.[/quote]fucking "Bucket" son of a god damn dirty whore bitch bastard assholes.

Ahem.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's basically Fourside from Melee just more grand, and with a random Chimera attack here and there.
[/quote]
And a shittier camera that tries to let you see everything and instead shows you nothing.
[quote name='bardiya27']new pork city reminds me more of hyrule temple than anything else.
[/quote]Hyrule Temple was mostly connected land with a few platforms. New Pork is almost entirely platforms.

[quote name='lilboo']
So question to everyone: What about Vets? Is there anyone you played with in Melee that you don't like anymore?
[/quote]Not big on the new Marth. I like that his neutral B is now a straight stab, but his sword just feels a half an inch too short.

The above sentence could probably be taken out of context with hilarious results, but I don't feel like deleting it.

Also disappointed with Ganondorf. Bowser's much better, though. I'm also liking the new Pikachu.

EDIT: Oh, don't like Fox much either. Then again, I always preferred Falco, but I hate his new reflector.

Can someone answer me this.....

When playing classic mode, can you win more then 1 trophy with say pokemon trainer, or samus? I just beat classic mode with zero suit samus, and the trophy was of zero suit samus. Im guessing i can play it over again with regular samus and ill get another trophy of the regular samus. Anyone know for sure?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Are the stickers for SSE mode only?[/quote]

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can someone answer me this.....

When playing classic mode, can you win more then 1 trophy with say pokemon trainer, or samus? I just beat classic mode with zero suit samus, and the trophy was of zero suit samus. Im guessing i can play it over again with regular samus and ill get another trophy of the regular samus. Anyone know for sure?[/quote]

Yes

i've been loving the hell out of timed target mode. doing level 4 in under 32 seconds was very very hard.

Yeah good games you guys ^_^

..I hate that new DK level. GRRR
Who is Dre? I know I just added him today. DRE, WHICH CAG ARE YOU !?!?

I have 64 people now :( I wanna add more

I already figured that you would have to beat Classic with ZSS & Samus for their trophies, and I am assuming you will have to do the same with Shiek.

...Do you have to do it for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and then Charizard?!

[quote name='lilboo']I already figured that you would have to beat Classic with ZSS & Samus for their trophies, and I am assuming you will have to do the same with Shiek.

...Do you have to do it for Squirtle, Ivysaur, and then Charizard?![/quote]

I just beat it using Squirtle, and the trophy ended up being of just the trainer. So im assuming its one trophy no matter who you end up using.

Not sure about Zelda/Sheik. I mise well try her next, as Sheik.

They did a total rewire of the Smash Bros. game. I haven't gotten around to playing all the characters, but everyone has gotten MUCH slower (except for Sonic XD)

I like most of 'em, but my favorite is probably Lucas.

They're all really great, but ROB seems a bit out of place.

Favorite new stage/Why?
I'm split between the Halberd, Spear Pillar and WarioWare Inc. But, I think I'll probably go with the Halberd.

Not too fond of New Pork City, but it is really pretty, so it's not too bad. My least favorite is probably Distant Planet.

Favorite Final Smash?
PK STARRSTORRMM! Epic.

Mr. Game and Watch. I love using him, but his final smash kinda sucks. His tentacles extend a couple times towards the first half of the FS, but after that it's just a bunch of lounging around.

Favorite new item?
Excluding the Smash Ball, the Dragoon Parts.

Least favorite new item?
Hmm, probably the spring.

Fav Assist Trophy?
It's between Andross, Isaac (Golden Sun) or Knuckle Joe.

Either the Nintendog or Shadow. Shadow could have been much cooler. :/

Aside from voice chat, and no leaderboards, I would have liked more third party characters. But who doesn't?

[quote name='lilboo']Yeah good games you guys ^_^

..I hate that new DK level. GRRR
Who is Dre? I know I just added him today. DRE, WHICH CAG ARE YOU !?!?

I have 64 people now :( I wanna add more[/quote]

:wave:

Great matches you guys. I'm done for the night, but I'll be on tomorrow night for sre around 5-6.

[quote name='Purple Flames']:wave:

Great matches you guys. I'm done for the night, but I'll be on tomorrow night for sre around 5-6.[/QUOTE]

:applause:
I'll get around to memorizing what nicknames belong with CAGs :lol:

I say everyone's nickname either resembles their CAG name OR have their CAG name in their comment.

How DARE you tamper with my SURVAY :bomb:

But no, I agree. That Nintendog is a jerk off. It's really funny, and I hate when I get the fuckin Nintendog when I'm facing the CPU :whistle2:\...makes me wanna roll up a newspaper and swat the bitch off the screen.

Saki is my favorite. He chases the bitches around the board shootin at him! :shock: SAKI = GHETTO

I just beat it with Sheik and the trophy was of Sheik. So i assume Zero Suit Samus/Samus and Zelda/Sheik are the only ones thats you can get more than one trophy with as the same person.

I'm gonna play with my GCN controller, not the Wavebird. I think there's a bit of a delay with the Wavebird.. :/

When I'm playing matches online, sometimes I'm like => B and they only do their B move. It could be lag, it could be the wireless actin up.. or it could be both :/

We'll see.
...So, does gamestop sell extenders for gamecube controllers?..for cheap? If my BF wants to walk by he has to limbo under the GCN wire :(

Well just got back to school after my spring break. Tried an random online match and the first one I had to quit the lag was that ridiculous (and it took me like a minute to do so). The second match was alright but except for the freezing every minute. I stopped playing online after that.

So a friend came over, we played 3 stock matches with no items. Great fun. I don't know who won the most matches but I had the most kills 49-48 kills it was that close. I it took me almost a week to realize that
Coneria from SSBM, which is one of my favorite stages
was in the game even though I did unlock all the stages, lol.

Also I found out that Metaknight isn't that bad of a character. I tried random a few games just to screw around and got paired as him. Did quite well with him actually. I also love that they seemed to have buffed Pikachu or at least made him die at a higher percentage of damage than melee. Link was originally my main character but now I don't know, Pit seems really good, Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer is very good, I need to play more to see.

I did find out though that they nerfed the home run bat badly (the item anyway) in this game. It is ridiculously slow this time around compared to Melee which sucks but oh well most of the items in the game are pretty useful so I can live with it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I just beat it using Squirtle, and the trophy ended up being of just the trainer. So im assuming its one trophy no matter who you end up using.

Not sure about Zelda/Sheik. I mise well try her next, as Sheik.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you do get additional trophy if you beat both Zelda/Shiek or Samus/Zero Suit in Classic or Allstar mode.

I'm down to few challenges left to complete this game.

-Beat boss mode on intense
-collect all stickers
-play over 100 hours of brawl
-collect all trophies for all characters
-beat boss mode on very hard
-play 50 hours of brawl
-collect all songs
-get 500 different trophies.

I'm very close to obtaining 50 hours of brawl, that will probably net me the "collect all songs" challenge. I haven't obtain a song for quite awhile from beating those punching bags. I have no idea what is total amount of stickers are out there, but I have gut feeling that I am close to it. I been hovering the 595 total with tremendous amount of duplicates. Don't get me on trophies. I been playing that mini game for hours and I keep getting the same trophies over and over again. Man, I wish they reuse the slot machine trophy method in melee. Getting pissed off seeing the same shit over and over again.

Can you transfer Smash Brother Brawl save file to SD card? I keep trying and it won't allow me.

[quote name='evergoo']Been playing a bunch of random online matches for several days now. Been waiting forever to play some CAGers.[/quote]

good game I really sucked tonight :( oh well maybe I will do better later

[quote name='naes']You can't do an actual "tournament", but on CAG we could set up a bracket and schedule matches and do it that way.

And don't get my started about skill.... I really think that items add a whole new level of strategy, but most tournament players disagrees with me.[/quote] I hardly find it fair when I can kill my friend twice within a minute with fox and then he can turn the tides by getting final smash three times in a row.

[quote name='Greetard']I can't understand how they were able to fuck up Ganondorf so badly. He was tough enough to properly main in Melee. It's just absolutely ridiculous now.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I think he's loads better. Hits like a fucking truck and has plenty of options. He can be absolutely killed by a rushdown, but his neutral A is pretty quick and has good knockback, so he does have a chance against it.

[quote name='fatbeer']Can you transfer Smash Brother Brawl save file to SD card? I keep trying and it won't allow me.[/quote]
You answered your own question.

[quote name='fatbeer']
Can you transfer Smash Brother Brawl save file to SD card? I keep trying and it won't allow me.[/quote]

Nope. Can't move it from the Wii console.

EDIT: Josh beat me to it.

I'm with naes on this one.

If I'm playing somebody that is not as good as me, items won't really do much to change the scenario. I'm still going to win the majority of the matches. Almost never does a match come up where I feel a less skilled player beat me...even when the items are on.

The only exception *may* be with Final Smashes, but even a lot of those are avoidable. (Plus, you could just shut those off.)

And then, if a person is getting beat when the items are on, then it could be they just aren't as good as they think they are (since I believe using items is skilled based.)

Pit and Wolf.

ROB is trash.

Favorite new stage/Why?
Electroplankton's Hanenbow. The Windwaker stage is also really good.

New Port City and the one with the Pokemon that flip the level and change time/space.
Flat Word 2 with it's interfering background is also pretty irritating.

Favorite Final Smash?
PK Starstorm, Pikachu's (since I'm the only I know who can use it effectively :lol:), and the best of all is Captain Falcon's.

ROB's.

Favorite new item?
Smash Ball, soccer ball, and assist trophies.

Least favorite new item?
Certain assist trophies.

Fav Assist Trophy?
Knuckle Joe, Isaac, Saki, Shadow, and Samurai Goro.

Nintendog, the Camera Man guy, and the worst of the lot is that stupid fucking Animal Crossing one.

No voice chat and leader boards, shitty camera that ruins New Pork City, and repeated final smashes (and clones, but they got a lot better about those.)

Just played some more and unlocked Wolf, my final character. Assorted thoughts:

First, Wolf kicks ass. Second, so does Zero Suit Samus. Just used her on Classic mode. Awesome stuff, there. If it wasn't for her Final Smash, I might use her as my main.

Third, what's with this "slip and fall down" business? Seems totally random. Once, it happened to me on my very first step in Boss Battle mode as I was going to enter the portal to the boss.

The Dragoon is a strange beast. On the one hand, it's awesome. On the other hand, it seems like it takes ten billion smashes from me to knock a piece out of the enemy's hands, yet a couple light neutral A's knock 1-2 pieces out of my hands almost invariably.

The new Star Fox level is hugely distracting. And I mean that in the best way possible. It's like the fucking Death Star 2.0 attack is playing in the background.

Bats take forever to smash with, but that's fine by me. I always used them as throwing weapons in Melee, so it doesn't really matter to me.

so, is there going to be some sort of smash tourney on-line?

I haven't posted in here yet, i've played 4 matches on-line, and noticed a deecent amount of lag in each (although, not unplayable lag)

i've heard lag can be distance dependant, so maybe we can set up "regional" touraments?

it stinks, because my favorite character has always been Fox i each smash bros. but on-line, his speed and doging is almost useless because of the lag.

Played this today for the first time.

I have to say, not looking to argue here just discussing, would you guys really like this game without all the Nintendo characters/cameos?

The gameplay to me just seems stale after awhile.

I'd like your guys' opinions on whether or not it's the characters that are the draw to this game.

[quote name='lilboo']
...So, does gamestop sell extenders for gamecube controllers?..for cheap? If my BF wants to walk by he has to limbo under the GCN wire :([/quote]

I've seen gamestop sell GCN extension cords for about $1.99 used.

[quote name='zewone']Played this today for the first time.

I have to say, not looking to argue here just discussing, would you guys really like this game without all the Nintendo characters/cameos?

I'd like your guys' opinions on whether or not it's the characters that are the draw to this game.[/quote]
As was mentioned on the latest CAGcast, it wouldn't be worth playing if it wasn't for the sheer amount of Nintendo that is packed into it... at least in my opinion.

If you aren't a fan of Nintendo, this game (series) won't appeal to you at all. Very simple. It's total fan service, with fun gameplay. If it was a bunch of random made up characters, but still the same game it would still be a good game. Not so much in the 9-10 area, but def an 7.5-8.

/2 cents

dmunkee thanks. $2 aint bad at all. I only need 2 at the most, I'll check it out sometime this week.

[quote name='Arikado']Seriously? I think he's loads better. Hits like a fucking truck and has plenty of options. He can be absolutely killed by a rushdown, but his neutral A is pretty quick and has good knockback, so he does have a chance against it.[/quote]
Agreed. He's way more fun to play as. I don't much like the slower characters, but somehow he feels much more responsive.

[quote name='The Crotch']
what's with this "slip and fall down" business? Seems totally random. Once, it happened to me on my very first step in Boss Battle mode as I was going to enter the portal to the boss.[/quote]
I actually like it - but that's just because it pisses off the competitive players. :D

[quote name='The Crotch'] The Dragoon is a strange beast. On the one hand, it's awesome. On the other hand, it seems like it takes ten billion smashes from me to knock a piece out of the enemy's hands, yet a couple light neutral A's knock 1-2 pieces out of my hands almost invariably.
[/quote]
It's not just me, then? That sucks. Can anyone else confirm this when playing against CPUs? What about multiplayer?

[quote name='zewone']

I'd like your guys' opinions on whether or not it's the characters that are the draw to this game.[/quote]

I'd definitely still play it, as I think the Smash Bros. series is the freshest and funnest take on fighting games pretty much ever. The focus on frantic action and accessible controls is brilliant - this is a game you can have tons of fun with even if you're losing. And the upgrades in this game push Brawl into some fucking legendary game design. I'd be lying if I said that the characters and fanservice weren't extraordinarily awesome, too. But when this series started, I was still a pre-pubescent SEGA fanboy (god, has it really been that long?). It took a game this good to jar me out of my bias, and at the time, I barely knew most of the characters. I'd never heard of Ness, Captain Falcon, or even Samus. When Melee came out, I'd never heard of the Game and Watch series or the Ice Climbers. It's not 'till Brawl that I actually recognized all the references in the game (aside from a few of the Japanese trophies and stickers, and a couple of tunes). I think that's a testament to the gameplay behind the mascots, that someone unfamiliar with them can still develop a deep love of the games.

If you think the gameplay gets stale, either you just don't like this kind of game, or you're not taking advantage of it. Personally, I've spent hundreds of hours playing the three games, alone and with friends, and fully expect to spend hundreds more. And I'm not even that good - a couple of my friends regularly kick my ass even though they don't own any of the games - I just love the series. Probably the most pure fun I've ever had playing a video game came from the Smash games.

[quote name='zewone']Played this today for the first time.

I'd like your guys' opinions on whether or not it's the characters that are the draw to this game.[/quote]Would I like Monkey Island without the humour? TFC if it was all bots? (Campaign) Starcraft without Tassadar, Kerrigan, Raynor, and Zeratul?

Not really.
But I'd still play the piss out of Brawl, anyway. Just wouldn't bother unlocking the ten billion little things.

EDIT:[quote name='tankexmortis']
I actually like it - but that's just because it pisses off the competitive players. :D
[/quote]
Didn't say it wasn't neat... I'd just like if I knew what the fuck caused it. Say, attempting to foxtrot. But I know that ain't it.

bread's done
Back