Super Smash Bros. Brawl Site! Discussions Inside. Release Date: December 3, 2007

Several landing points? Awesome. With a fighter that is so environment-dependent, this is going to be fun.

I think with everything they show, the game looks more and more spectacular. Just like a sesame seed covered bun.

That's really the most glaring upgrade the game needs.
More varied enviroments, more than just a different background I mean.

I don't think we'll get it.

[quote name='dallow']That's really the most glaring upgrade the game needs.

I don't think we'll get it.[/QUOTE]
If you mean more stages like Pokefloats or Ice Mountain, no thank you.

I'd much rather have a stable stage instead of one that was moving. Having to worry not to get eaten up by the sides instead of fighting the others isn't exactly fun to me. Though it may provide a few laughs in the beginning, it's sure to get old real fast.

[quote name='halu102']If you mean more stages like Pokefloats or Ice Mountain, no thank you.

I'd much rather have a stable stage instead of one that was moving. Having to worry not to get eaten up by the sides instead of fighting the others isn't exactly fun to me. Though it may provide a few laughs in the beginning, it's sure to get old real fast.[/quote]

I mean more in the style of Pokemon Stadium. Even Samus' level (both really) were more interesting.
Not that I have anything against flat, and 3 platform stages. You gotta have those too.

[quote name='halu102']If you mean more stages like Pokefloats or Ice Mountain, no thank you.[/quote]

I like Pokefloats a lot. That one and rainbow cruise are the best balanced moving stages in my opinion. Ice Climbers would be good if not for the whole "shiiiiiit, going up!" moments, when you have to stop fighting and jump around like an idiot.

Since we play with Suicides set to "-2" (usually a must for one-on-one matches, I assume nobody needs me to explain), I LOATHE the spinning Samus level, since it generally wastes way too much time if one person gets away. It also allows for "weak shit" in which the player that scored the first KO can get away and hide under the stage. That's weak shit, and some people should be ashamed of themselves.

[quote name='dallow']That's really the most glaring upgrade the game needs.

I don't think we'll get it.[/QUOTE]
Are you considering Delfino as a varied environment, or just a different background?

I thought Melee had a really good balance between static and variable stages. From what we've seen so far, Brawl looks to be the same way. If anything, Brawl's "battlefield"-type stages seem to have much more interesting backgrounds, which is a nice improvement.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Since we play with Suicides set to "-2" (usually a must for one-on-one matches, I assume nobody needs me to explain), I LOATHE the spinning Samus level, since it generally wastes way too much time if one person gets away. It also allows for "weak shit" in which the player that scored the first KO can get away and hide under the stage. That's weak shit, and some people should be ashamed of themselves.[/quote]
The concept behind that level was really cool, but overall it was kind of weak for that reason. If they try something like that again in Brawl, they need to get rid of those external platforms so you can't ride them to the bottom. Either that, or put a tunnel through the center of the stage so you can climb down from the top and chase out the campers.

[quote name='rohlfinator']Are you considering Delfino as a varied environment, or just a different background?

I thought Melee had a really good balance between static and variable stages. From what we've seen so far, Brawl looks to be the same way. If anything, Brawl's "battlefield"-type stages seem to have much more interesting backgrounds, which is a nice improvement.[/quote]

They hardly show off Delfino so I can't comment yet.

Warning... speculation:

IGN commented in their latest feature on Brawl that they wouldn't be surprised to see Wolf Link appear as a playable character instead of a slightly different version of Link. (Young Link) I'll go one step further and predict that players will be able to change back and forth between human Link and wolf Link at will, just like Shiek and Zelda. They're using the Twilight Princess model for Link, so it makes pretty good sense to me. Any takers?

[quote name='zaxo']Warning... speculation:

IGN commented in their latest feature on Brawl that they wouldn't be surprised to see Wolf Link appear as a playable character instead of a slightly different version of Link. (Young Link) I'll go one step further and predict that players will be able to change back and forth between human Link and wolf Link at will, just like Shiek and Zelda. They're using the Twilight Princess model for Link, so it makes pretty good sense to me. Any takers?[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty keen to me.

-2 for self destructs!?

63b5l4pym7.jpg

[quote name='zaxo']They're using the Twilight Princess model for Link, so it makes pretty good sense to me. Any takers?[/quote]

No.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']-2 for self destructs!?[/quote]

Yes. In a 1-1 match, you gain a 2 pt advantage per K.O. (+1 to you, -1 to your opponent.) Now, assuming that you and I are both "good" (we'll find out soon enough) and we deal tons of damage, one of us recieves the two point boost by knocking the other off. Clean, fair, and simple. Now, let's say it's me, and I'm an asshole. Seeing that there is no time left on the clock, and that you can probably use your spawning invinicibility to kill me off to force us into Sudden Death, I simply jump off the stage. I get one point subtracted, get my win, and get "douchebag" award all at the same time.

With more people this technique can get abused worse, though there aren't as many chances to do so. The worst I've seen is to jump off, and use your spawn-glow to kill off two or three high-% persons, who would otherwise knock your ass out. I'm so used to -2, I don't even get mad when a renegade bo-bomb puts his dumb ass where it doesn't belong.

That, and it's nice to see a moron throw a bo-bomb at you point blank. You survive, and he gets -3 (-2 for self-destruct, and -1 for self-induced-KO). Note: they don't get a -3 for reflected kills like that, they just get -1 and you get a +1.

IGN commented in their latest feature on Brawl that they wouldn't be surprised to see Wolf Link appear as a playable character instead of a slightly different version of Link. (Young Link) I'll go one step further and predict that players will be able to change back and forth between human Link and wolf Link at will, just like Shiek and Zelda. They're using the Twilight Princess model for Link, so it makes pretty good sense to me. Any takers?[/QUOTE]

i could see it though its more likely to have a Wind Waker Link. Though a Zelda II link would make my day.

IGN commented in their latest feature on Brawl that they wouldn't be surprised to see Wolf Link appear as a playable character instead of a slightly different version of Link. (Young Link) I'll go one step further and predict that players will be able to change back and forth between human Link and wolf Link at will, just like Shiek and Zelda. They're using the Twilight Princess model for Link, so it makes pretty good sense to me. Any takers?[/quote]

Doesn't sound too un-reasonable. Would love to have TP link, Wolf link, and WW link all their own characters though.

Still hoping and waiting for Captain Olimar.

Is it just me, or has anyone else seen all of the playing fields so far?
Completely flat and nothing special. All there is is moving backgrounds. Maybe a floating platform or 2.
Man, I really hope they don't screw up on the playing fields.

Wolf Link wouldn't be a good character to include. I'm not sure why Link turned into a wolf in Twilight Princess anyway. A furry must have come up with the concept.

IGN also speculated that Lucas from Mother 3 might be in the game. That would probably mean a stateside release of Mother 3.

Do I want Wolf Link, umm probably not. Let me explain why first. I am the fucking bomb with Link's sword attacks and if they fuck up the damage done or sword attacks which they probably will I will be fucking pissed, and I just don't see the use of wolf link. Now if they made Wolf Link awesome, maybe but they wont, they will fuck it up I know they will then I will suck as link.

[quote name='AmigoOne']Is it just me, or has anyone else seen all of the playing fields so far?
Completely flat and nothing special. All there is is moving backgrounds. Maybe a floating platform or 2.
Man, I really hope they don't screw up on the playing fields.[/quote]Keep in mind we only saw like what 3 playing fields and they got oh over 80-100+ weekdays to add stuff to the website before it comes out, so maybe we might see something new and unusual.

Wolf Link could work. But I would brand it as Midna or "Midna & Link" since as a wolf alone he didn't do much without her.

Moves could be...
-Twlight Warp upwards
-Howl (like Jiggly's sing but scared/shock instead of sleep)
-Dig -> pop up attack or possibly even find items
-Midna Hair Grab
-That diameter multi hit thing from TP, like hold B and a circle forms, release to hit multiple guys

Could work, but I'd much rather see guys from other franchises first.

Another thing I was thinking with SSBB, with online play and the capability of 4 GC controllers plus 4 CCs.. has the possibility of more than 4 players been discussed yet?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Do I want Wolf Link, umm probably not. Let me explain why first. I am the fucking bomb with Link's sword attacks and if they fuck up the damage done or sword attacks which they probably will I will be fucking pissed, and I just don't see the use of wolf link. Now if they made Wolf Link awesome, maybe but they wont, they will fuck it up I know they will then I will suck as link.[/QUOTE]

See, here's the advantage I have in sucking big time at SSBM: I'm not invested in any particular character. So I say mix it up; toss out old characters, add news ones, completely change their moves. Maybe it will give me a chance in the new game ;). It's like you people are talking a different langauge with your "crouch cancels" and up-smash-this and down-smash-that. I'm vaguely aware that pressing B and different directions on the stick does different things, but I've never had the time to get too into learning all the nuances. I just run around and hit A and B and try not to fall off the edges :rofl:.

Hey io, try playing with the C-stick next time you play a Versus match. The C-stick has all of the 'smash' attacks mapped to the direction in which you press when you're in Versus mode. Verrry useful.... ;)

[quote name='The Crotch']Wait, wait, wait. You don't want something in this game... unless it's done well.

Wow. You are some sort of logic-master.

Translation: What the fucking hell?[/quote]

Crotch, Crotch, Crotch. You missed the boat again! What he's trying to communicate is that he doesn't want Smash Bros Brawl to change from Melee because he's stuck in a rut with the current incarnation of Link. If they change it, then he will no longer be any good from the get-go (even though that never happens) and the game will be rendered unplayable. Makes more sense, right?

Nah, it really doesn't.

[quote name='The Crotch']I can smash every bit as fast - if not faster - without the C-Stick.

What I loved was his assumption that Wolf Link will be absolutely unplayable. Because, you know, all of the previous characters were so horribly designed, we must assume that all new ones will be too! Or something.

fuck it, I don't know.[/quote]It's like this, I am so used to the melee link that I am afraid they might tinker with too many of his moves to fuck up how I play with him, then I might suck with him who I have been playing with for almost 8 years now (even in the classic Smash Bros). Also I mean well designed I mean don't go the whole cloning route and try to make wolf link a bigger pikachu clone without the thunder make him different enough to enjoy, not unplayable.

It's cool.

When they release Brawl with the same 'ole Link, I'll just pwn your ass with anyone, and then you can say they should have changed him since he's stale and I can predict all his moves.

Savvy?

Don't you talk about my jealous. My jealous is faster than yours and doesn't piss on the carpet, so you watch your mouth.

[quote name='Dezuria']Call me when they announce Sonic as a playable character. :)[/QUOTE]

Will do, just put your phone number here in this thread. Here you can have mine too, 765-649-3111.

Call me as well: 631-867-5309

I'm not opposed to Wolf Link but I would rather see several other characters over him and thinking about it, he could work really well, a sort of Ice Climbers feel but with 1 character (midna riding on its back??).
Up-B Minda moves/grabs a spot on the screen, Wolf Link jumps a sort of recovery
Side-B a more powerful bite/slash than a normal A attack; or Midna makes a fist and slams the ground
B same as TP, target several players and dash around hitting them
Down-B dig, either as a teleporting move (work only on ground of course) or dig up items or rupees

Just speculation and what I would do with a Wolf Link

[quote name='The Crotch']I can smash every bit as fast - if not faster - without the C-Stick.[/quote]

Dude, I'm glad I know someone else who thinks the C-stick is unnecessary. I'm ALL about charging my smashes, and I really only use the C-stick for throwing shit. It's useful, but Smash-A is how I do.

[quote name='supershammy']Hey io, try playing with the C-stick next time you play a Versus match. The C-stick has all of the 'smash' attacks mapped to the direction in which you press when you're in Versus mode. Verrry useful.... ;)[/quote]

That's for freakin NOOBS!!!! My little brother tries to use that when he uses Peach. But when I own him, he says my C-Stick doesn't work, or that the wavebird signal is blocked or needs batteries. ROFL!!!!

Delfino Plaza looks awsome. If you notice the shine gate has added platforms on it side, looks like one of the stops in the flight around the plaza will be there. I hope they add some piantas and nokis in the stage before launch. Also whats with the lack of the statue in the central square?!

As for me, the character I'm pulling out for is Crono.

That finishing move item is the best thing to happen to Smash Bros. even better than online play. Character specific powerful finishing moves were the one thing the others in the series were missing that would add a ton to the gameplay. I also like the fact that theres no bar to power up or a 30 button combo to memorize. Its just an item. That is what has got me the most excited thus far.

[quote name='vasco']That's for freakin NOOBS!!!! My little brother tries to use that when he uses Peach. But when I own him, he says my C-Stick doesn't work, or that the wavebird signal is blocked or needs batteries. ROFL!!!![/QUOTE]
Actually pros play with the c-stick. C stick applies to aerial attacks and allows more control in spacing and timing (especially with l-cancelling). It also buffers moves, so that the next command with the cstick is immediate and there is no lag time in manually using the control stick in conjunction with the a button.

But there are still pros who play without the cstick. (only one that comes to mind...). I just dunno how they do it.

I think Germ uses C-Stick.

I use the C-Stick, even though I'm not a pro. I can't even L-Cancel. :wall:

(I break my index finger every time I try.)

Alright, can someone please explain to me what hell "L-cancelling" is? I assume something with the left trigger that helps block attacks? I've only ever heard of it on CAG. It's certainly somehting I've never seen in the game (note that I only play SSBM with my kids). I know there's a little shield you can bring up, and I finally started using that after not realizing it was there for like the first year I had the game :lol:.

[quote name='Frazzle.D']http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

To this day, I still can't see how pros can press the L-Button a quarter of a second befroe they hit the ground with ease...[/QUOTE]

I'll laugh so hard if those techniques become completely useless in Brawl, and there's a good chance they will.

To this day, I still can't see how pros can press the L-Button a quarter of a second befroe they hit the ground with ease...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, OK, not what I was expecting. I'll have to try it out.

The one thing I can NEVER do in SSBM is the dashing though - I can't seem to get that to work for the life of me. I guess I just can't tap the stick so fast like that. I really hate the controls on SSBM to be honest. I always get messed up with X being jump (and I wasn't even aware you could use the stick to jump as shown in that video - is it only with dashing though?). I also wasn't aware there were different A-direction attacks :oops:. I just thought the chars were doing different things for the hell of it (but I was aware of the different direction B attacks - I guess they are just more obvious).

[quote name='io']Hmmm, OK, not what I was expecting. I'll have to try it out.

The one thing I can NEVER do in SSBM is the dashing though - I can't seem to get that to work for the life of me. I guess I just can't tap the stick so fast like that. I really hate the controls on SSBM to be honest. I always get messed up with X being jump (and I wasn't even aware you could use the stick to jump as shown in that video - is it only with dashing though?). I also wasn't aware there were different A-direction attacks :oops:. I just thought the chars were doing different things for the hell of it (but I was aware of the different direction B attacks - I guess they are just more obvious).[/quote]

I used to have a lot of trouble with dashing too. Are you sure you are doing it right? I always thought that you had to DOUBLE-tap forward to dash, but I later discovered you are only supposed to tap and hold ONCE to dash. It is extremely easy and works every time for me now that I know how.

Honestly, if you haven't, there is a really helpful tutorial video that automatically plays if you let the game idle at the title screen. It is where I learned how you actually dash. It'll also tell you about dodging, which it sounds like you haven't learned yet either. Hope that helps!

[quote name='SMMM']I'll laugh so hard if those techniques become completely useless in Brawl, and there's a good chance they will.[/QUOTE]
I doubt that it'll be taken out. There was L-cancelling back in Smash 64. It was done with the z button. Don't see as to why it should be taken out now.

And the pro game is very dependent on this and a couple other technical skills, it'd be very stupid to take it out and it'd most likely lose much of the smashing community.

Now as for wavedashing, that one is up there for the developers to handle. If they retain the physics of air dodging, then I believe it'll remain in the game. And if it is taken out, the competitive scene would prolly be hit hard, but I think they could certainly live without it.

But hey, I don't know anything, just speculation...

If you want to try, the usual input is this:
light tap x --> c-stick (any direction) --> down (on control stick to "fast fall") --> L trigger (as you hit the ground/usually right after down).

That video is very good, but I believe it doesn't add the actual manual input on the controller. And this of course takes much practice, and varies with character to character slightly.

[quote name='supershammy']I used to have a lot of trouble with dashing too. Are you sure you are doing it right? I always thought that you had to DOUBLE-tap forward to dash, but I later discovered you are only supposed to tap and hold ONCE to dash. It is extremely easy and works every time for me now that I know how.

Honestly, if you haven't, there is a really helpful tutorial video that automatically plays if you let the game idle at the title screen. It is where I learned how you actually dash. It'll also tell you about dodging, which it sounds like you haven't learned yet either. Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

It was from the tutorial that I couldn't get it right - it says something about tapping the stick rapidly or something, so I was trying to do it furiously (several times). I figured that was a stupid thing to do while trying to fight so I never attempted it again. If it is just tap and hold then the in game tutorial is utter garbage because it sure didn't make it seem that way :lol:.

Yeah, never heard of dodging either though I think I have done the roll dodge by accident and then sort of figured that one out.

I dunno, I don't really like games with all these wacky crazy control schemes... When I'm just playing the game with my kids I don't need all this stuff anyways (though my son is getting much better so I'd probably better learn this stuff just to stay one step ahead of him ;)).

[quote name='io']It was from the tutorial that I couldn't get it right - it says something about tapping the stick rapidly or something, so I was trying to do it furiously (several times). I figured that was a stupid thing to do while trying to fight so I never attempted it again. If it is just tap and hold then the in game tutorial is utter garbage because it sure didn't make it seem that way :lol:.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I think you were talking about the movement of the control stick back and forth rapidly? That's more of the advanced technique which usually generates that "fake out" technique so that the opponent will hopefully get baited into throwing an attack into empty air where you can punish them afterward.

But yeah, dashing is just smashing the stick right or left. Quite ingeneous I think, beats double tapping in the same direction like most fighters.

edit: Oh, you must be talking about the smash intro tutorial, my bad. I believe it just says smash or slam the stick in either direction.

Today's Update is some music. It is the ending to Yoshi's Story redone very nicely/ If they keep up with music like that for this game I will be very pleased.

bread's done
Back