Super Smash Bros. Brawl Site! Discussions Inside. Release Date: December 3, 2007

Did anyone else notice a decided lack of Samus in any of the site's pictures? I mean, Wario hasn't been "officially" announced yet, but he's in a crapload of them.

[quote name='Greetard']Did anyone else notice a decided lack of Samus in any of the site's pictures? I mean, Wario hasn't been "officially" announced yet, but he's in a crapload of them.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the official trailers count as him being announced.

And these aren't really announcements anyway, it's just website updates.

[quote name='hohez']I'm pretty sure the official trailers count as him being announced.

And these aren't really announcements anyway, it's just website updates.[/QUOTE]

That's what I mean. Wario has been seen in quite a few updates, but no Samus yet. She's already been announced...so are they trying to hide something?

[quote name='Greetard']That's what I mean. Wario has been seen in quite a few updates, but no Samus yet. She's already been announced...so are they trying to hide something?[/quote]

Yes. Zero Suit Samus has been mentioned not to be the sole form of Samus, and at the time it was said that Samus becomes "Zero Suit" by performing a super move. There was some speculation regarding whether or not she will be a separate character that is unlockable, or if there has been a change of plans. In that respect, it's a mystery, still.

Zero Suit Samus in action can be seen in the Nintendo World movie from 2006 (you all already knew that, of course).

[quote name='Greetard']That's what I mean. Wario has been seen in quite a few updates, but no Samus yet. She's already been announced...so are they trying to hide something?[/quote]

The interns don't like playing as Samus while they take screencaps for these lame updates.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Yes. Zero Suit Samus has been mentioned not to be the sole form of Samus, and at the time it was said that Samus becomes "Zero Suit" by performing a super move. There was some speculation regarding whether or not she will be a separate character that is unlockable, or if there has been a change of plans. In that respect, it's a mystery, still.

Zero Suit Samus in action can be seen in the Nintendo World movie from 2006 (you all already knew that, of course).[/quote] If you watch the video, it appears that chozo-suit Samus performs a Final Smash (huge laser blast), which blows her armor off. I'd be willing to bet that this is how it will work in the game. Abnormally powerful Final Smash, but it leaves her weaker for the rest of the round.

The only update I care about is Mewtwo. I use him as my secondary character in Melee, and I plan on doing the same for Brawl.

Or Deoxys, if my theory is correct.

[quote name='halu102']Thank goodness you guys aren't asses or little kids. When I used to frequent the Smash Bros message boards, there were too many. I personally hate that community. CAGs always have a sense of maturity, especially since most are either young adults or middle aged it seems.[/quote]

I had no idea what the hell you were talking about, until I saw some MLG videos on YouTube. Wow. Children should not be allowed access to a microphone ever. The worst biased bullshit commentary that I've ever heard. Literally what one would expect would happen if we had Nintendo Clubs at High School.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I had no idea what the hell you were talking about, until I saw some MLG videos on YouTube. Wow. Children should not be allowed access to a microphone ever. The worst biased bullshit commentary that I've ever heard. Literally what one would expect would happen if we had Nintendo Clubs at High School.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I believe most of the MLG commentators are actual ranked players. Da Dave, Wife, and Sephiroth Ken are the ones that come to mind. Ken's voice, if you can find that MLG commentary just sounds like a douche.. sorry. However, Da Dave provided funny commentary I thought. Also, kinda curious as to why those commentaries were bullshit. Not that I go on my knees for them, but i thought they were decent and unbiased, except for Da Dave who's ok since he is entertaining at the same time.

And the kids I was referring to were mostly at the forums, but I don't want you to waste your life there. Good to get technical information, but not for holding serious discussions.

[quote name='halu102']Also, kinda curious as to why those commentaries were bullshit. Not that I go on my knees for them, but i thought they were decent and unbiased, except for Da Dave who's ok since he is entertaining at the same time.[/quote]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH5Z-_sKrYM

"He's West Coast and this is clearly an East Coast competition."

[quote name='MarioColbert']http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH5Z-_sKrYM

"He's West Coast and this is clearly an East Coast competition."[/QUOTE]
Well, yeah, that was a prety biased commentary, don't know who the two were though. But it's just infinitely times as worse in the boards. That commentary isn't that bad either, since Chu Dat is considered the only real IC player and I assume the commentators weren't as familiar with ICs and Chu Dat's play style as with Azen and his CF which hailed from their East Coast. But, In the end, though that may be one of the worst commentaries, it's definitely not far a drop from other MLG commentaries IMO. Definitely not "childish", I mean, most of these Smash players are college students.

Wowza!

Control types:

Wii Remote (sideways)
Wii Remote + Nunchuk
Classic Controller
Gamecube Controller

I don't see myself using anything outside the GC controller, which he himself recommends.

Still, the Classic may not be all bad.

Hopefully, he does get around to explaining how smashes/dashes are used on the Wii Remote.

Hmm this is interesting CC and Wavebird support. Now this is getting sexy, lol. I don't know which one I will use yet but the CC looks real nice here if it is not fucked up.

This is interesting.
I'm glad we CAN use the Wiimote/Nunchuk, BUT don't have to use it.

Mortal Kombat is like this--You can use any of the 4 combinations. Using the Wiimote/Nunchuk IS fine..however, sometimes the attacks don't register :whistle2:(

But thats only if Smash uses motion as moves.
SO I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Looks awesome, but I can't see how the wii-mote turned sideways can implement two attack buttons, blocking, grabbing, and jumping across two buttons and a dinky d-pad. Other than that, the control options look quite workable.

You have 4 accessible buttons with the Wiimote: A, B, 1, 2. 1 and 2 will probably be the attack buttons, and A and B can handle grabs and shield. Jumping will just be pressing Up on the D-pad, like it was before (with before being with a control stick). The only bad thing there isn't a jump button, per say, but that loss isn't really tragic.

I know that Brawl was listed as an online game at E3 but I haven't heard anything about online in any of the write-ups about the game since then. Do you guys think online is going to make it into this game? I just now started playing Melee and seeing as how chaotic it can be, I'm not sure it is going to be doable over Nintendo's WFC.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']4 controller setup?
Holy crap.

I'm starting to get even MORE into it now.[/quote]

How does that make you more excited?
Oh wait, I guess you were being sarcastic.

This is crazy!

I'm more excited for this than I am for any other game this year. It's clear that Nintendo is banking on this game as their AAAA game for the year and they're throwing everything they can into it.

I would be shocked if more third-party characters weren't included at this rate!

Aren't so many contrlol types a bad thing?

You know you are going to get people saying that you won a match because you had X controller while they had Y.

Besides doesn't this undermine the wiimote? Now we are going to have the people already bitching about waggle whine that all of Nintendo's games don't have multiple control schemes.

It's about choice and since people are being given a choice, all the better. That and people won't have to worry about the gameplay being drastically changed from Melee.

[quote name='Scrubking']Aren't so many contrlol types a bad thing?

You know you are going to get people saying that you won a match because you had X controller while they had Y.

Besides doesn't this undermine the wiimote? Now we are going to have the people already bitching about waggle whine that all of Nintendo's games don't have multiple control schemes.[/QUOTE]

If you have people complaining about that, does it matter that much? It's such a childish thing to argue over.

No it doesn't undermine the Wiimote, but not every game should solely use the remote....but you wont bother listening to me anyway since you think I'm a Nintendo hater :roll:

Personally, I'll be using the CC.

Control types are nothing to get excited about, but it's nice that they give people options.

Even though the only true option is the GC controller. :)
I'll give the CC a try though. Does the CC rumble?

[quote name='Scrubking']Aren't so many contrlol types a bad thing?

Besides doesn't this undermine the wiimote? Now we are going to have the people already bitching about waggle whine that all of Nintendo's games don't have multiple control schemes.[/quote]

You already get that with other fighters. Some people bitch because someone is using an expensive Hori joystick and they are using the regular controller.

From the start the developer was saying that Brawl would support the GC controller and that is what the game was being designed around. How some people could turn 4 possible control schemes into a negative is beyond me.

Like Sean, I will be using the Classic Controller. I prefer uniform buttons in a more "traditional" layout for a fighter.

[quote name='lebowsky']I know that Brawl was listed as an online game at E3 but I haven't heard anything about online in any of the write-ups about the game since then. Do you guys think online is going to make it into this game? I just now started playing Melee and seeing as how chaotic it can be, I'm not sure it is going to be doable over Nintendo's WFC.[/quote]I think there was some sort of interview where Sakurai (at least I think it was him) said that they would like to have Wi-Fi, but 4 players online would be difficult. More than likely, he means lag, which is a bitch in any online fighting game, but untolerable in Brawl.

Personally, I don't think people will be using the Wiimote all that much, especially any sort of pro player. I mean, have you seen how thrashed the GC controllers can be? I'm not sure if anyone I know is willing to put their Wiimote through that kind of stress. My old trusty GC controller is more than up to the task.

[quote name='halu102']Well, yeah, that was a prety biased commentary, don't know who the two were though. But it's just infinitely times as worse in the boards. That commentary isn't that bad either, since Chu Dat is considered the only real IC player and I assume the commentators weren't as familiar with ICs and Chu Dat's play style as with Azen and his CF which hailed from their East Coast. But, In the end, though that may be one of the worst commentaries, it's definitely not far a drop from other MLG commentaries IMO. Definitely not "childish", I mean, most of these Smash players are college students.[/quote]

*head explodes*

[quote name='lebowsky']I know that Brawl was listed as an online game at E3 but I haven't heard anything about online in any of the write-ups about the game since then. Do you guys think online is going to make it into this game? I just now started playing Melee and seeing as how chaotic it can be, I'm not sure it is going to be doable over Nintendo's WFC.[/quote]

If you ever have questions like that, you should check out the number one source for "everything you need to know about a title in progress" and by that I mean Wikipedia. Here is what it says on the subject:

[quote name='Wikipedia']As far as Wi-Fi play is concerned, Sakurai has confirmed some functionality.[16][4] However, as stated in the Toukouken on the Japanese version of the Smash Bros. website, "there would be many hurdles to cross," and an online ranking system is unlikely to be implemented.[/quote]

If you are too lazy to click on the Reference links in the quote, here is the summary of source material:

[quote name='E3 2005 Coverage']Better yet, this new Revolution Smash Bros. will take advantage of the console's Wi-Fi capabilities for online play out of the box.[/quote]

and more recently:

[quote name='E3 2006 Coverage']Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.[/quote]

This research took less than 5 minutes to do, and now I have cold, hard QUOTES. Bam.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources

Well, I think before anyone declares what they will be playing with.. why not wait till the game comes out..and sit and play with each controller :)

You might be surprised on how you might like a different controller then what your saying now. Though, I would have to agree right now I know the Gamecube controller sounds appearling because it's simply familiar and comfortable..especially for this game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I wonder if this will possibly lead to a Q4 shortage of cube controllers, assuming they are no longer being made?[/quote]

Get your Cube controls while you can!
I should replace one of my 6 though, darn cat likes to chew the stick.

[quote name='dallow']How does that make you more excited?
Oh wait, I guess you were being sarcastic.[/quote]

Actually I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

How many games have you seen that could use 4 different controllers like this. None. It's one of the major issues i've been thinking about this game on day 1. How the hell would they capture SSB with just the Wiimote & Chuck, and what if people can't handle using it. Solution.... make it work with EVERY controller.

I can honestly say I didn't see that coming.

And if you wanted me to be sarcastic though I could.

Let's see. This is speculation.

Wiimote sideways: Map attacks to 1/2 (as A/B respectively). Map shield to B trigger. You lose potential L cancels (though you can do this with the trigger), Z deflection (since no longer have that button), and short hops would be much harder to pull off (I'm thinking you'll have to rely entirely on quick presses on the D pad). I like using buttons for jumps, so this mode is out, unless motion control is used in a very novel and precise way. Smashes = juking left/right with the mote, for example. Could work, but I dunno. Precision kills in fighting games.

Wiimote + Nunchuk: D pad on the 'mote becomes the buttons. So down = B attacks, right = A attacks. Up/Left = used for jumping. B trigger = shield. Nunchuk has two buttons that can replace L and Z. So theoretically you have replicated full button placement from the GC controller. Again, this leaves out motion control, but if they implement it well, could be very useful. This is marginally better than the above.

Edit: Oh yea. You lose the C stick with both of the above. But if you are using it, you are a bitch and I hate you (when you use it). ... MarioColbert.

Classic: Basically mimics the GC controller exactly, with only exception than the Z trigger might be lost, which is no big deal since you ought to be to live without it. Would be really funny if the 'mote was still usable. Wangmotation indeed.

GC/Wavebird: Probably will be the preferred method still. Depends if there are any new moves that take advantage of the above controllers.

Which brings up an excellent point: What if each setup gains its own advantages over the others? I.e., Wavebird is "standard." Motion enabled controllers get special moves, like maybe your Final Smash becomes based on motion and can inflict more damage. A pipe dream, but would be a reason people might use different control sets. That would add a lot of strategy, actually. That would put down the arguments about "well you used X setup and I used Y and you had the advantage."

Great. Now I'm going to be disappointed if that isn't in the game.

Hmmm. What was last Friday's update? I wonder if every Friday might be a "big" update.

Ahhh. I knew investing in a complete set of Wavebirds for the Wii was a good idea, as well as four extension cords. I guess I ought to snag a few more wired controllers just for good measure, even though I think I have enough already.

[quote name='Strell']Edit: Oh yea. You lose the C stick with both of the above. But if you are using it, you are a bitch and I hate you (when you use it). ... MarioColbert. [/quote]

I'm surprised you are even capable of hatred, since you're so busy flying the hell off the screen all the time.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I'm surprised you are even capable of hatred, since you're so busy flying the hell off the screen all the time.[/QUOTE]

Well gosh, I can't out-masturbate the Masturbaton 4000 either, but that doesn't stop me from hating it so.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Actually I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

How many games have you seen that could use 4 different controllers like this. None. It's one of the major issues i've been thinking about this game on day 1. How the hell would they capture SSB with just the Wiimote & Chuck, and what if people can't handle using it. Solution.... make it work with EVERY controller.

I can honestly say I didn't see that coming.

And if you wanted me to be sarcastic though I could.[/quote]

I wish you had never responded to my question.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'll be a giddy little girl if they take L-canceling and wavedashing out.[/quote]

I would be, but why yourself?

I like old-fashioned smashing.
Though short hops are a must.

bread's done
Back