Super Smash Bros

It's very enjoyable...but I don't play portable games much.  Meaning I'm playing it at home (and a little at work on breaks).  I feel once the Wii U version comes out the 3DS will get little play. 

Granted, I *am* a collector/challenge whore...so I'll probably try and get all the Challenges done over time.  It will just take a backseat to the Wii U version.

Yeah, I'll happily let Wii U take the wheel at home once that comes out. I'm lucky in that my office actually has a pretty healthy Smash community though, so the 3DS version was a godsend for us.

Now to just get a Wii U in there. Then we'd be in business.

[quote name="Action!" post="12196471" timestamp="1414679002"]Yeah, I'll happily let Wii U take the wheel at home once that comes out. I'm lucky in that my office actually has a pretty healthy Smash community though, so the 3DS version was a godsend for us.

Now to just get a Wii U in there. Then we'd be in business.[/quote] 8 PLAYER SMASH!!

Obviously you would do 4v4, I can't imagine doing an 8 player smash FFA.  Even in 4P FFA back in the original Smash days there would always be a lurker / avoider that would piss you off.

Obviously you would do 4v4, I can't imagine doing an 8 player smash FFA. Even in 4P FFA back in the original Smash days there would always be a lurker / avoider that would piss you off.
The cringe is real. You would think everyone would go ham in a for fun mode like that...

JWittz is doing a preview of the game every day until it's release. So far he has shown Master Fortress and Smash Tour.

http://youtu.be/4C7tyqNl54I

http://youtu.be/pi7uapjexpQ

Is it bad I already bought Link, Pikachu, Captain Falcon and Marth (Link from Amazon, other three from TRU), and I am thinking after I get paid Friday going to GS which is next to my bank and trying to grab a Samus Amiibo?

The only thing I am more hyped for is Dragon Age about now, not by much as I bought four Amiibos already, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting GTA V today, Smash coming friday makes this a great week. With this game alone i dont think my wii u will be covered in dust again for a good while.

Anyway to wiki the first post to put in NNID? Or should people continue to use the 3DS thread.

I tried to pick up the Controller Bundle today and every Best Buy in my area was sold out... Much sadness...

I'll pick it up eventually, but I'm playing World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor right now and I still haven't put Bayonetta 2 into my Wii U.

You can add me to- snakeybro2389

Im kinda dissapointed that theres no story mode. Online doesnt seem to be working either

[quote name="snakeybro" post="12258901" timestamp="1416616843"]You can add me to- snakeybro2389

Im kinda dissapointed that theres no story mode. Online doesnt seem to be working either[/quote] I've played 10 matches and haven't had any major issues.
Btw, I added you. My nnid is Roytherobot

SO I downloaded this last night (the first game I've ever bought for full price digitally) and thought my kids would be all excited about it but my older ones could care less, including my 11 year-old who was obsessed with unlocking everything on the Wii Smash Bros.

My little ones (6 and 4) played it with me though. I can just never get used to X and Y being jump buttons no matter how much I play. I was constantly jumping when I wanted to attack and vice versa for the first hour. Finally towards the end I adjusted a bit and was able to beat Falco on the second try to unlock him (but still my instinct is to hit 'A' to get away from things). I really need my older son to get back into it so we can unlock the harder stuff ;).

I got 2 Amiibos in the mail from Best Buy today as well - opened them but didn't even try them in the game yet.

Is there no adventure mode in this game? The menus are a little confusing but I thought I saw a review saying it was there and that this was the most feature-rich Smash yet. If that is missing, then, no it is not...

That's too bad. I remember spending a lot of time on that - probably more so than on the regular matches.

As a Smash Bros. newbie, my god I'm having trouble getting into this game -- Not the premise or what it is, I'm pretty excited at the characters, the unlocking/customization, etc -- but the actual combat/gameplay.

My brain seems to be pre-programmed with the mindset that A & B should be jump, and Y & X attack.  I thought about just seeing if I could swap them around in the options, but then I figured that would be a pain in the ass if I played with other people, at someone else's house, etc, so I didn't even bother to see if it was an option.

I also seem to be terrible at recovering when I get booted off the ledge.

I put in about 2 hours with strictly Link, and I'm not sure that I'm any better off than when I started, other than kinda sorta knowing what direction + button does what.  I got schooled hardcore by the giant hand(s) boss.

Going to jump back in and give it a go, and see if anything improves. If not, I guess I'll dig into the options.

The game is cool, but Im just not as exicted or attached as i was when melee & brawl came out. I guess it's the lack of a fun single player mode or im just getting old. Gameplay is as solid as ever though. It'll be fun with friends so that something to look forward to.

As a Smash Bros. newbie, my god I'm having trouble getting into this game -- Not the premise or what it is, I'm pretty excited at the characters, the unlocking/customization, etc -- but the actual combat/gameplay.

My brain seems to be pre-programmed with the mindset that A & B should be jump, and Y & X attack. I thought about just seeing if I could swap them around in the options, but then I figured that would be a pain in the ass if I played with other people, at someone else's house, etc, so I didn't even bother to see if it was an option.

I also seem to be terrible at recovering when I get booted off the ledge.

I put in about 2 hours with strictly Link, and I'm not sure that I'm any better off than when I started, other than kinda sorta knowing what direction + button does what. I got schooled hardcore by the giant hand(s) boss.

Going to jump back in and give it a go, and see if anything improves. If not, I guess I'll dig into the options.
The controls have literally not changed at all since Melee, so it's just your reflexes (and even then, A has always been regular attack and B is Special).

While Link is one of my mains, I will admit that he has always had terrible recovery after 64. To on Link is slightly better. True, he has the Hooks hot to grab the ledge, but even then it's nowhere near Zero Suit Samus or Pikachu, let alone the floaters.

If you guys are having issues with the controls, couldn't you just change the buttons in the settings?

(I certainly wouldn't/couldn't play that way...but it might help.)

You can change the controls in settings to whatever you like. You save those settings to a stored name. Just need to be sure to set your name everytime if you have controls different from default.

You'll realize that in this game, Gamecube controller is NOT mandatory. There are no analog shields so the analog triggers on the GCN controller are useless. I will say that the Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller are better controllers because of this.

Personally I have jump set to L so I can do aerial attacks easily with the right stick.

You can change the controls in settings to whatever you like. You save those settings to a stored name. Just need to be sure to set your name everytime if you have controls different from default.

You'll realize that in this game, Gamecube controller is NOT mandatory. There are no analog shields so the analog triggers on the GCN controller are useless. I will say that the Gamepad and Wii U Pro controller are better controllers because of this.

Personally I have jump set to L so I can do aerial attacks easily with the right stick.
I have to agree about the pro controller. After using it the GC pad feels weird. I cant go back.

Is there no adventure mode in this game? The menus are a little confusing but I thought I saw a review saying it was there and that this was the most feature-rich Smash yet. If that is missing, then, no it is not...
Yeah, I found it a little disappointing there isn't some kind of story mode. I really liked the Adventure Mode in Brawl. It was a great way to unlock characters. Plus the cutscenes were always fun to watch.

Built up the courage to play online last night and I was the suck. Couldn't squeak in win if my life depended on it. Just another reminder of an aging gamer I guess.

I bought 1 Amiibo just to get an idea of what the deal is. Ended up with Peach (thanks to my 4 year old daughter). Quality of the figure is good. Leveled her up to 50 already and she's quite the beast. She tends to play a keep away game by floating around and hardly attacking. Any idea if I can use her online? I'd love to sit back and watch her annoy other players.

I still have gamecube controller so would that work with the adapter? I think this controller is same as gamecube just has smash bros emblem on it.. kinda save money that way..

I might get controller anyways, but might not depends.

I still have gamecube controller so would that work with the adapter? I think this controller is same as gamecube just has smash bros emblem on it.. kinda save money that way..

I might get controller anyways, but might not depends.
You can still use the old gamecube controllers. Mine still do. Thing is, if you took out the spring on the triggers, those triggers wont work on Wii U through the adapter. But if it's stock, you don't have to worry about that at all.

Amiibos cannot be used online, sadly. I really wish you could use them in Classic and All-star mode, but 2P has to be human.

Whenever I go online I prefer Team Smash. Wish there was a Stock option though.

Just curious, anyone know how to force the game to keep your control settings active? Really annoying that it constantly defaults them between modes/matches unlike the 3DS version

All you can do is save control settings to a name. Then you have to remember to set your custom name whenever you start up a new smash mode. As far as I know, no way to make a certain name default or automatically register to a controller/system. 

Confirmed that you just have to remember to switch to your control setting. I appreciate the notion of not pigeon-holing other local players into one button configuration, but I'm way too shortsighted to ever remember this reliably. I've eaten so many jumps with Ness in the past two days.

bread's done
Back