Super Smash Bros

Any word on when/ if the bundle will be restocked at Best Buy?

I was stupid and never preordered it for some insane reason and now I have my younger brother coming up to visit and would LOVE to play with him this week. (with GCU and my $60 credit there currently I am looking at only BB)

Any word on when/ if the bundle will be restocked at Best Buy?

I was stupid and never preordered it for some insane reason and now I have my younger brother coming up to visit and would LOVE to play with him this week. (with GCU and my $60 credit there currently I am looking at only BB)
ask twitter he would know

Amiibos cannot be used online, sadly. I really wish you could use them in Classic and All-star mode, but 2P has to be human.

Whenever I go online I prefer Team Smash. Wish there was a Stock option though.
Shame that the Amibos are limited to Smash only. It'd be nice to have them help me in other modes like All-Star and Classic Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this game worth owning if you dont have any friends? I only know one other person with a Wii U and he is not going to buy Smash. I would be stuck playing single player and some online battles with strangers.

Is this game worth owning if you dont have any friends? I only know one other person with a Wii U and he is not going to buy Smash. I would be stuck playing single player and some online battles with strangers.
Its totally worth it. Classic mode, Special Orders, All Stars Mode, Trophy Rush, Stadium Events and Events are all very fun to play alone. There's tons of challenges to complete (which give you trophies, new stages, custom items, music, etc). I also enjoy playing level 9 CPUs in normal smash. You'll spent hours collecting trophies and admiring them in the trophy gallery. Online 1v1 is smooth and playable if you and the other player have a good connection.

There's also this thread, where we, CAGs set up matches.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/336720-super-smash-bros-friend-codes-and-smashing-saturdays-5pm-pst/

It depends. i personally find playing against the cpu boring. The single player modes are boring to me too since i dont care about collecting trophies, custom parts & mii clothes. But you are in a strange spot. The game is best with friends. Rent it and see if the single player modes tickle your fancy.

I'm in the same boat. There's characters to unlock, stages, music, trophies, etc. Plenty of single player stuff to keep you busy.

I'm so glad there's single player and multiplayer Event matches. I have finished all the single player ones on Hard and I have the entire co-op set still.

Really only three or so really challenging solo Event matches. (Little Mac one was frustrating.)

Out of curiosity, can the GC adapter with GC controller work for any other games? Like, can I use it to play eShop games or something like MK8? 

Bah... that sucks. You'd think that for games that don't use the touch screen or motion controls, letting people us their GC controllers would make sense. Maybe some day.
Yup. It doesn't even work for smash bros. Brawl on Wii mode. Pretty sad. I still think it was nice they let us have the option to use the GOTY for smash. The Gamecube Controller.

People are working to make the adapter work on PC and Linux. For now someone has Linux working (sans rumble).

The grey usb plug on the adapter is just for rumble, you can use it with just the black plug connected. The way it works is the adapter isn't sensed unless there some code from the Wii U saying that Smash is being played. What the linux program does is trick the adapter into thinking the linux machine is a Wii U with Smash playing atm.

It'd be nice if Nintendo would extend the usage of the adapter. But honestly, all the other controllers are just as good, if not better.

After ordering a copy during a Target B2G1 glitch a while back for $40, I finally got my copy in the mail today!  Gonna be hopping on in a bit, my NNID is LuigiBatsLefty

Is the Gamecube controller adapter truly sold out at the moment or was it never made available separately?

today at target. i saw a boy drag his mother to the game isle. pick up a copy of super smash brother brawl. and say 'see mom this is the one i want, this is the original super smash brothers.'

may god have mercy on his soul.

today at target. i saw a boy drag his mother to the game isle. pick up a copy of super smash brother brawl. and say 'see mom this is the one i want, this is the original super smash brothers.'

may god have mercy on his soul.
But the other games are older... my brain hurts.

Just picked this game up today and oh boy do I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk. I'm using the Wii U Pro controller too. I haven't played SSB since the N64 version. I really like it though and hopefully will get better.

well, big news for smash bros.  the latest nintendo direct revealed footage of mewtwo and surprisingly lucas from mother 3...makes you wonder if they may release mother 3 stateside huh?  also, nintendo made a cool thing where we can submit out requests for smash bros characters.  I went with Isaac from the golden sun games.  though i'd prefer felix from the lost age, isaac is more iconic for that series.  he was an assist trophy in brawl so its possible that could happen.

https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

They also released new amiibo waves, some in July, the rest in September. Mewtwo and Lucas will also get amiibo.

There are also a bunch of other updates coming and a new NFC receiver for use with OG 3DS systems.

Just picked this game up today and oh boy do I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk. I'm using the Wii U Pro controller too. I haven't played SSB since the N64 version. I really like it though and hopefully will get better.
If you never played on the Gamecube (or Wii with the GC controller), you haven't played Smash the way it was meant to be played.

Got Link up to lvl 30 and he wins against me everytime. I made him a attack/defense equal. Much of the equipment I earn is speed based. I have the WiiU, but play the 3DS version more.

Apparently, somebody datamined the latest update and found sound files hinting at Roy from Fire Emblem and Ryu from Street Fighter as future DLC characters.

Had to check every folder in my email to find the Mewtwo code. I am assuming he plays similar as before?

Had to check every folder in my email to find the Mewtwo code. I am assuming he plays similar as before?
Been way too long since I've played Melee...so I guess I couldn't say for sure. I think, in Melee, didn't his neutral B damage someone while he was charging it? (Like Lucario's does now.) Mewtwo's in Smash 4 doesn't do damage during the charge up.

Otherwise, I think his moveset is largely the same. Still seems floaty and light.

really want to wait for a Wii U price drop :whistle2:x

I've read many different takes on Mewtwo's viability.  even though Shadow Ball doesn't do charge damage, it is really strong.  Up throw is also a good finisher.

Most I've read on him is pretty negative. (Not viable for MU, etc.) He seemed kinda fun to play, but, nobody I will add to my main roster.

I loved MewTwo in Melee even though he was garbage.  I was a youngster who had good memories of the Pokemon movie.  Those poor, poor clones.

I'm glad to play as him once again.  I kind of wish to unlock him after downloading him that you had to fight him though.  Was kinda strange just booting the game up and seeing he joined the battle.  That's just a nitpick though.

Beware: There is a bug when using Mewtwo in 10-Man Smash. Apparently, if you've already beaten 10-man with everyone and then you beat it with Mewtwo, it partially corrupts your save data. It blocks you from getting online!

Thankfully I didn't play that mode with him!

Speaking of bugs, has anyone noticed that their Wii U runs slower with this update? 

It might just be my imagination, or my external hard drive wanting to crap out but I swear there's a noticeable speed difference. Like the Wii U lags and stuff.

I think game startup has increased by a few seconds for sure.

After the patch, it actually took my game nearly 60 seconds from starting the title to get past a black screen. It hasn't done that since the first time post-patch, but it was kinda scary.

bread's done
Back