Super Stardust HD - Gen Discussion & Info

just hit the 1 million mark... I'm coming for all your scores.

anyone notice that the ice spitter breaks up the rocks faster than the crusher... I think its good for getting to the green ore, then switching to the rock crusher to finish it off, that or the gold melter which is good against small rocks.

I love this game.. I like it better than asteroids.. and I can't express how much love I had for that game.

Guess I'll buy this tonight, you guys are having too much fun.

From a guy on GAF:

Yeah. I get about 80-85 million after the first 5 planets. I actually logged the rounds of my high score run and after the second play through I had 167. I hit 200 at the end of the 4th planet on the third play through and died on the second planet on the fourth run.
Guessing this is really good.

[quote name='dallow']Guess I'll buy this tonight, you guys are having too much fun.

From a guy on GAF:

Guessing this is really good.[/quote]

Yea, and the controls are pretty smooth :D

It's a great pick up and play game

Oh god, the game has a rare glitch I encountered yesterday.

So I was trying to beat my high score in Planet Mode on Lave. The first phase there are suppose to be two giant asteroids that fall and then a bunch of mines that I can normally clear anywhere from 35-50 seconds. Well one run the second giant asteroid didn't drop and I hit 15 seconds for phase complete. Sadly it happened too quickly and I didn't get my x2 multiplier yet and thus didn't gain shit for points. Forced me to restart. :bomb:

Hope if I ever experience it again, the phase ends right after I achieve the x2 multiplier.

man, the competition in this game is fierce! everytime I check the leaderboard, my ranking goes ridiculously lower.

I'm trying to stay at least in the top 1000 for as long as I can lol.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']man, the competition in this game is fierce! everytime I check the leaderboard, my ranking goes ridiculously lower.

I'm trying to stay at least in the top 1000 for as long as I can lol.[/quote]
Well I was in the top 16000 last time I checked :cool:

[quote name='Zoglog'].... i'd buy this but i'm worried about the descyncing.... sounds detrimental in this game.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of this desyncing problem, and haven't had anything go wrong with my controller yet. I did notice my 360 controller freaked out the other day while I was playing Tomb Raider Anniversary on PC, and my cell phone rang.

Does that have something to do with it?

aw mine just desync'd for the first time in sshd today. Went bad just long enough to smack right into a rock.

It seems I must have been on a really good run when I got my 22m cuz I'm having a tough time breaking even 18m now even with all the tips that I got lol

I guess if I ever play this game, the USB cable is gonna be plugged in.
problem is I only have 1, so co-op is gonna be a bitch.

[quote name='Zoglog']I guess if I ever play this game, the USB cable is gonna be plugged in.
problem is I only have 1, so co-op is gonna be a bitch.[/quote]

Plugging in the USB cable doesn't make a difference. It's used for recharge purposes only and the controller still sends signals via blutooth to the console. In otherwords it still disconnects while the cable is connected and I've experienced this myself.

Honestly it's not that bad. I've played quite a lot and it's only happened twice to me and once to a friend. Neither of us died any of those times though since we were both moving in the direction that we were firing.

I've played 60+ hours of Oblivion, 10+ hours of Super Stardust, and many hours of other games, and my controller has never had an issue..

I got one issue while playing Super Stardust. For a short time, it was moving in the last direction I had it and the weapon pointed the same way I was... a split second later, it came back... and I didn't die... thankfully. But since I've had my PS3 (Jan 07), this has been the first issue I've had with the controller...

Here are two boss strategies I use:
  • Boss 2 & 4 can be delt with fairly easily if you're agile enough. When it first lands fire into its eye while dodging all the bullets (or whatever they are) until he turns around. Then boost through the boss to the otherside and get close to him while firing. He'll close his arms but stay inside and you should keep firing at him until he opens them and switches sides again. Rinse and repeat once more to finish him off. (This can be dangerous if you're not good with small movements and take some practice)
  • Boss 5 can be delt with very easily and quickly. As a matter afact, it's the easiest boss in the game... If you know what you're doing. The special trick is to either have three bombs on you or know how to boost with decent aim. Basically when the boss brings up the big object from the surface to where you are, you can either bomb it to instantly destroy all the 'targets' or boost through it to destroy all of the 'targets'. Just do it three times and the boss should be easily done for.
Well, I guess it's time for me to get back to playing today so I can get my scores back into the top 10. I wish I remembered exactly how I managed my score on Planet Lave so I can copy the exact tactics over to the other planets. ~_~

[quote name='Draekon']$7.99[/QUOTE]

is it worth it? I might need to get this?

After reading the comments and reviews im not sure.

[quote name='bo0']is it worth it? I might need to get this?

After reading the comments and reviews im not sure.[/quote]

In my opinion it's the best game on the Playstation Network. I also personally like it more than Geometry Wars as it feels like it has more to it. Plus I like the fact that it can 'end' and doesn't push me away like how Geometry Wars doesn't end until you die. Honestly I haven't really heard a negative thing about Super Stardust HD yet except from those who hate these types of games. Early replies in this thread explain a little bit as to why they like it.

Wouldof been great if there was a demo though.

[quote name='Draekon']Here are two boss strategies I use:
  • Boss 2 & 4 can be delt with fairly easily if you're agile enough. When it first lands fire into its eye while dodging all the bullets (or whatever they are) until he turns around. Then boost through the boss to the otherside and get close to him while firing. He'll close his arms but stay inside and you should keep firing at him until he opens them and switches sides again. Rinse and repeat once more to finish him off. (This can be dangerous if you're not good with small movements and take some practice)
  • Boss 5 can be delt with very easily and quickly. As a matter afact, it's the easiest boss in the game... If you know what you're doing. The special trick is to either have three bombs on you or know how to boost with decent aim. Basically when the boss brings up the big object from the surface to where you are, you can either bomb it to instantly destroy all the 'targets' or boost through it to destroy all of the 'targets'. Just do it three times and the boss should be easily done for.
Well, I guess it's time for me to get back to playing today so I can get my scores back into the top 10. I wish I remembered exactly how I managed my score on Planet Lave so I can copy the exact tactics over to the other planets. ~_~[/quote]

hmmm staying inside the boss's arms for planets 2 and 4...the missiles don't reach inside? I never thought of getting in before! I always go over the time limit lol

[quote name='imascrub']hmmm staying inside the boss's arms for planets 2 and 4...the missiles don't reach inside? I never thought of getting in before! I always go over the time limit lol[/quote]

Well the first time I had tried it, I died and never went back to try it again until yesterday. Anyways, missles don't reach inside but it can close with asteroids inside which need to be gotten rid of asap. I also believe it shoots fire in an X which is really easy to dodge in my opinion too.

The arcade mode, is that where you just play until you die?
Are you able to stop? Because if not, those with the top ranked scores are crazy!

[quote name='dallow']The arcade mode, is that where you just play until you die?
Are you able to stop? Because if not, those with the top ranked scores are crazy![/quote]

It stops I believe, but not until you beat the levels in Elite mode (After Hard Mode). I'm only around 55 million or so in score from Normal Mode in Arcade, so I can't really speak from first hand experience. I will try again today probably, but I'm locked into trying to get the highest score per level and thus I take a hell of a lot of risks. Not sure how far I'll make it until I can get myself to stop being an idiot.

First thing first though. I need to up my scores on Planet 3 & 4 back to the top 20, hopefully the top 10. Bastards better not of pushed me out of Rank 10 on Planet 2 yet.

i made rank 22x something yesterday! 61.7 million some points in arcade mode. I probably dropped a couple hundred spots since then though lol

I was on a really good run though I don't know if I can pull that off again lol
I'm gonna try Draekon's tactic for planets 2 and 4 bosses. Go in for the hug and finish it off! If I can finish those bosses quick I can get a cool multiplier for the points...I always finish over time so like yesterday I missed out on 9x multiplier :(

From PS blog:

I’m Phil Gaskell, a producer working in External Development here at SCEE Liverpool which just shipped Super Stardust HD. We’ve been following all of the feedback and praise that you’ve given this game lately and we wanted to simply say THANK YOU!

SSHD was a fun product to work on and the overall reception has been amazing. I’m honestly quite astounded by the high-scores that some of you have already achieved on this game. Zafro is currently sittin’ pretty with more than 640 million. Wow, the gaming community never ceases to amaze me….

For those of you who don’t know, Super Stardust HD is a download game available now only via the PlayStation Store, and was developed by a small team in Finland called Housemarque. In the end, the team at Housemarque was able to get over 10,000 active objects with physics and collisions, and over 75,000 particles simulated and drawn at 1080p 60fps…It’s truly a sight to see.

SSHD is an ultra intensive action game that raises the shoot’em up genre to the next level. You battle to save five planets on the brink of extinction from massive asteroids and a horde of enemies…sent by the evil penguin Professor Schaumund (yep, a penguin…a real nasty one too!). The stars of the show though are the asteroids, made of rock, gold and ice. Check out some of the images above and below and you’ll see what I’m talking about. You can slice, shatter, melt, and pummel them into tiny pieces - it’s very therapeutic! Perfect for a quick fix or the long haul.

One of the things we’re really proud of with SSHD is the sphere concept. Unlike other shooting games where you’re confined to a play area maybe a couple of screens big or scrolling along uncontrollably, the action in SSHD takes place in orbit around a planet. This means you can boost around it infinitely (and sometimes you might need to). From a player point of view you never worry about hitting the sides, and it allows you to concentrate more on dodging around the rocks and enemies, and blasting anything that moves. It gets really intense at times, quite simply if you blink, you’re dead.

Plenty of nice pictures there too.

I feel like I've accomplished something major with my 24+ mil score. :p I feel like I get a little better every time I play tho, and the game is just plain addictive. I haven't had my controller de-sync while playing it yet, tho I did have it happen a couple times in the past week while I was playing The Darkness. Guess I've just been lucky.

Planet Mode is a bitch. I restart levels god knows how many times just to try and get a top 10 score because in order to get a high score you need to take too many god damn risks. It's finally paid off though, woo:

Lave, Rank 2 - 9,992,570
Coventina, Rank 8 - 12,938,050
Nemain, Rank 2 - 14,906,010
Taranis, Rank 2 - 19,613,150
Segomo, Rank 8 - 19,365,795

Now on to Arcade at last. I'm probably going to hate myself for starting Arcade.

[quote name='Draekon']Plugging in the USB cable doesn't make a difference. It's used for recharge purposes only and the controller still sends signals via blutooth to the console. In otherwords it still disconnects while the cable is connected and I've experienced this myself.
[/quote]

Thats weird, because unlike the 360, the Sixaxis does send a signal through the cable. That is why I can hook the controller up and play on my computer. Are you sure you desynched while connected?

[quote name='subsidon']Thats weird, because unlike the 360, the Sixaxis does send a signal through the cable. That is why I can hook the controller up and play on my computer. Are you sure you desynched while connected?[/quote]

Positive. It's happened 2 or 3 times on me with the cable connected.

Wow - I just obliterated my old score - 53mil in arcade mode. I used that tip for the stage 2/4 boss & got inside the ring when he closed up. Tore him up MUCH quicker.

EDIT: I actually died fighting the final boss. Couldn't quite figure out what was going on - I had destroyed three of those metal-ring-things that come up from the planet.

fuck, I managed to make it to Elite Mode in Arcade. Needless to say I didn't make it past the second planet. Hell, did I even make it to the second planet? Those damned centipedes took half my lives because they're so damned fast. I used a asston of boost and they still manage to eat me alive. I guess my reflexes were a split second too slow.

I think it's time for me to take a break from this game for a bit. Sat in front of the television today for about 5 hours playing the damn game. I'll have to settle with 164m. Can't believe someone managed to get 600m+.

In case anyone was wondering lives and bombs do not cap at 9 as I've had as high as 15. As for mutlipliers the highest I've seen is x10.

If I manage to think of any more tips I've left out I'll add them. I had remembered some while I was playing but now I've since forgotten them. May also make some amendments to my previous tips to go more in depth.

oh yea speaking of the final boss, do those missiles that he shots out do anything? It looks like they shoot inwards and they don't seem to come near me. I'm still cautious, but I don't think I've ever had to shoot any missiles

[quote name='imascrub']oh yea speaking of the final boss, do those missiles that he shots out do anything? It looks like they shoot inwards and they don't seem to come near me. I'm still cautious, but I don't think I've ever had to shoot any missiles[/quote]

When you destroy the five red targets via Weapons, Boost, or Bomb, the object will begin sending missles inward towards the planet core. The planet core itself is the boss. It takes approximately three of those platforms that rise to orbit on your level for the boss to be destroyed.

While it's shooting missles just let the asteroids fall around you and take them out with Rock Crusher while making sure not to get hit. Shouldn't be too hard and if you really need to, boost out of it. Though if you're constantly moving you shouldn't have a problem getting out of the ring of asteroids that falls around you before they hit the ground.

EDIT: I should add that if you don't take down that large thing that the planet sends up to orbit with you quick enough it WILL begin to shoot missles AT you. Though if it's entirely dead with all the red hit boxes gone, then it will shoot at the planet and not you.

well I finally bit and bought the game. As expected the game is virtually unplayable wireless for me due to the desyncs. In a game like this where every second is life and death. fucking Sony.....

Methinks you need to get a replacement system. From the way you talk about your desyncing problems it's like yours desyncs every couple minutes.

My controller's only desync'd 4 or 5 times in my 96% or so run of ridge racer 7, I don't think it's ever desync'd in Motorstorm, once or twice in Resistance, and once in Ninja Gaiden Sigma so far. In SSHD just the two times since I started playing. Just about a total of 10 or so times in half a year of ownership

[quote name='imascrub']Methinks you need to get a replacement system. From the way you talk about your desyncing problems it's like yours desyncs every couple minutes.

My controller's only desync'd 4 or 5 times in my 96% or so run of ridge racer 7, I don't think it's ever desync'd in Motorstorm, once or twice in Resistance, and once in Ninja Gaiden Sigma so far. In SSHD just the two times since I started playing. Just about a total of 10 or so times in half a year of ownership[/QUOTE]

It happens like once an hour on avg.
On most games like ffxii, marvel ultimate alliance, etc. I'm fine with it doing that, but in this game where mistakes are detrimental, it really sucks. With November approaching I think you may be right and I should try my luck with a warranty replacement before it passes one year. I wonder if i'll need to send in my HD.... It would suck to lose all my saves and games i've d/led.

on another note, this game is really fun, I just play it with the short ass usb cable attached.

I just can't seem to break through on Super Stardust. I've only seen a 6X multiplier once and just seem to hit my bomb button milliseconds before I blow up.

I've struggled into the 4th planet, but it's stlll quite a struggle for me.

I do love the game though... no doubt about that.

So, I completed Lave without dying and still only have the 957th best score on the leaderboard. I really need to work on using boost more, it would seem. My multiplier was only up to 6X at that point. Still, it's nice to be in the top 4% of the game scores.

i give up, all my tries of getting only round 40 mil and record 54 mil does not give me the satisfaction i so desperately crave, and it takes up all my errand time. I think ill end up playing it again soon though :( so addictive

Jeeze a billion...

BTW Frisky, almost caught your scores after 1 round of play.
I'll beat them tomorrow, piece of cake.

[quote name='dallow']Jeeze a billion...

BTW Frisky, almost caught your scores after 1 round of play.
I'll beat them tomorrow, piece of cake.[/quote]
How the hell can you get 10 million in one round? The most I can get is just under 400k.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How the hell can you get 10 million in one round? The most I can get is just under 400k.[/quote]Wait... define a round.

I actually meant one gaming session. Played, died, stopped.

What is a round though? I want to get the terminology.

bread's done
Back