Super Stardust HD - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='dallow']Wait... define a round.

I actually meant one gaming session. Played, died, stopped.

What is a round though? I want to get the terminology.[/quote]
The end of rounds are when you see how long you took to finish that round, multiplyers, your score for the round, and then your total score so far.

[quote name='BREVITY']I wish you could demo it first like on XBLA.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a demo of this on PSN. It's definitely worth buying though, even for the new $10 pricetag (which I had to pay D: ).

[quote name='Vendetta']I think there's a demo of this on PSN. It's definitely worth buying though, even for the new $10 pricetag (which I had to pay D:).[/quote]

I was surprised when I found out it went up to $10 :eek:

Holy crap, I just jumped from a previous arcade high of ~8 mil to over 46 mil. :D

Sony needs to release the Shockaxis so I can pick one up and try co-op.

EDIT: Take that dallow. >_>

[quote name='Vendetta']Holy crap, I just jumped from a previous arcade high of ~8 mil to over 46 mil. :D

Sony needs to release the Shockaxis so I can pick one up and try co-op.

EDIT: Take that dallow. >_>[/quote]Oh that's it, I'm taking care of business tonight!

Just bought it and after a trial run of figuring out what the buttons did, I scored over 26 million my first time through.

Pretty fun, but since it takes so long, I don't know how much I'll play this.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just bought it and after a trial run of figuring out what the buttons did, I scored over 26 million my first time through.

Pretty fun, but since it takes so long, I don't know how much I'll play this.[/quote]
You bastard.

Why isn't there a demo/trial for every PSN game? I just got my PS3 today and was disappointed to find out that I can't try out super stardust hd. I'm not going to drop money on a game I've never tried, despite the reviews. Definately something XBLA has over PSN.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']This game is awesome... I just got 15,517,XXX

And that's without using the turbo button[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what that was for.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yeah, I couldn't figure out what that was for.[/quote]
Are you talking about the boost? It lets you zip out of tight situations, as you're invincible while you're boosting away. Then the boost meter fills up after about 10-15 seconds and you can boost again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are you talking about the boost? It lets you zip out of tight situations, as you're invincible while you're boosting away. Then the boost meter fills up after about 10-15 seconds and you can boost again.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying I should use that button.

Jeez... and I thought I was doing great to get 1.2 million. :p Man, I suck.

And that was with prodigious use of the turbo button.... :)

After about 4 nights of playing, me and my friend just improved our Co op score from the 1000ish ranking to 17! Just finished with 55 million. I think this is the highest Ive ever been ranked on a games leader boards.

how does the multiplier work anyone?

Oh if you boost through points pickups it multiplies them btw shipwreck! :)

this game is awesome ness

Boosting for points is nice, but boosting anywhere is risky if you end up in the middle of a rock cluster.

Multiplayer works by putting both players on the same screen. You have to move together to move around the sphere.

boosting right smack into a rock rarely happens to me (probably only once). It's why you keep shooting in the direction that you're boosting since it'll clump all your shots into a giant blast pretty much when you get to your destination. A bomb would be helpful as well

[quote name='Maynard']how does the multiplier work anyone?

Oh if you boost through points pickups it multiplies them btw shipwreck! :)

this game is awesome ness[/quote]

You gain multipliers by destroying enemies. It's pretty much that simple. The higher the multiplier the longer it takes to reach the next one. As for the highest multiplier, I've only managed to achieve x10. Then there are some times if you die (ie explode) you will start with a multiplier of x2 or x3. I think that is because it counts everything that exploded into the next life and thus you already killed enough to have that multiplier.

Multipliers are very important to your end of planet scores. They multiply your bonus time, amount of lives you have left, and the amount of bombs you have left. So it's very important to finish with a high multiplier among other things at the end of a planet if you're going for high scores.

By the way, in case anyone missed them, there are tips on page 2 of this thread. More or less an fyi for anyone who are interested in them and are too lazy to read through the entire thread. :p

[quote name='Draekon']You gain multipliers by destroying enemies. It's pretty much that simple. The higher the multiplier the longer it takes to reach the next one. As for the highest multiplier, I've only managed to achieve x10. Then there are some times if you die (ie explode) you will start with a multiplier of x2 or x3. I think that is because it counts everything that exploded into the next life and thus you already killed enough to have that multiplier.

Multipliers are very important to your end of planet scores. They multiply your bonus time, amount of lives you have left, and the amount of bombs you have left. So it's very important to finish with a high multiplier among other things at the end of a planet if you're going for high scores.

By the way, in case anyone missed them, there are tips on page 2 of this thread. More or less an fyi for anyone who are interested in them and are too lazy to read through the entire thread. :p[/quote]
Enemies as in Rocks and Enemies? Or just the enemies?

[quote name='Maynard']Enemies as in Rocks and Enemies? Or just the enemies?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure everything counts towards the multiplier

I noticed a couple people on my list playing this so I decided to start it up just to make sure I still had the high score. :) And surprise, a mystery 3.0 patch that I can't really tell what it does. And then I notice two things:

1. It erased all my stats!! Stuff like time played, enemies killed, etc. is now all 0. I'm a total stats junkie so that really, really bothers me. Luckily it only cleared the gameplay stats and not the scores, although that brings me to...

2. Buddha beat my high score!! :bomb::bomb::bomb: Now I'm going to have to quit my job and spend hours playing this again.

Anyway, nice going, Buddha. I forgot to check how long the game took you, but I'm actually sort of scared to look.

[quote name='metaly']And surprise, a mystery 3.0 patch that I can't really tell what it does.[/quote]

The patch is actually the new addon. Sounds weird, but then when you buy the addon it's actually only like a 5k download that just authorizes the game.

[quote name='metaly']2. Buddha beat my high score!! :bomb::bomb::bomb: Now I'm going to have to quit my job and spend hours playing this again.[/quote]

Yeah she, I mean he (cough cough) is a nutjob on SSHD.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's also a single player mode additions out for $5, which I plan to buy soon.[/quote]

I think it's worth it. For the most part the new modes are pretty cool. I didn't like that before if you wanted a high score like metaly said you'd have to spend hours. I know buddah did! The new endless and survival modes allow you to pick up and play for 5-10 mins and have some fun.

I still wish that you could play playlists on custom soundtrack. My wipeout playlist would go great with this game.

Was the easy arcade mode something new or was that part of the previous update that came with the demo? I just tried it out and it was, well, easy, though I actually played through this time, which is more than I can say for the normal difficulty.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Was the easy arcade mode something new or was that part of the previous update that came with the demo? I just tried it out and it was, well, easy, though I actually played through this time, which is more than I can say for the normal difficulty.[/quote]

Easy mode is a new addition.

2. Buddha beat my high score!! :bomb::bomb::bomb: Now I'm going to have to quit my job and spend hours playing this again.

Anyway, nice going, Buddha. I forgot to check how long the game took you, but I'm actually sort of scared to look.[/quote]

I really wish that I could take credit for this one, and I probably could if it weren't for SB, but those scores are all my wife's. She is a freak on that came. I have no idea how many hours she spent acheiving those scores, but she is pretty damn proud of them. I hope you can beat her scores, her reaction will be priceless. She is ultra competitive so it will really piss her off. I am rooting for you metaly!:applause::applause:

[quote name='buddah8640']
I really wish that I could take credit for this one, and I probably could if it weren't for SB, but those scores are all my wife's. She is a freak on that came. I have no idea how many hours she spent acheiving those scores, but she is pretty damn proud of them. I hope you can beat her scores, her reaction will be priceless. She is ultra competitive so it will really piss her off. I am rooting for you metaly!:applause::applause:[/quote]

Hahahaha, you better hope she doesn't see your comment ;)

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I think it's worth it. For the most part the new modes are pretty cool. I didn't like that before if you wanted a high score like metaly said you'd have to spend hours. I know buddah did! The new endless and survival modes allow you to pick up and play for 5-10 mins and have some fun.[/quote]

Hmm, if that's the case then I'll have to get it. The game length is the #1 reason I don't play this anymore. I wish it would at least keep a personal top 10 or something.

[quote name='buddah8640']

I really wish that I could take credit for this one, and I probably could if it weren't for SB, but those scores are all my wife's. She is a freak on that came. I have no idea how many hours she spent acheiving those scores, but she is pretty damn proud of them. I hope you can beat her scores, her reaction will be priceless. She is ultra competitive so it will really piss her off. I am rooting for you metaly!:applause::applause:[/QUOTE]Next time I talk to your wife, I'll be sure to tell her this. ;)

I'll get the single player pack eventually.

No one on my friends list can top my co-op score at least. ;)

I finally managed to get atop my friends leaderboard at 27 million today, which is a great improvement over the 16 million I had before this week. Is that just a drop in the bucket to what you guys have gotten?

The only thing is I'm still chasing the elusive fifth planet, too, so I may just try to keep playing the fourth planet to try to beat and get to the fifth planet.

Buddah8640 has a grand total of 113 mil I think. Metaly has 100 mil or so I think?

Which is insane considering the amount of time you'd have to spend to get those scores. I much prefer the new modes as the pick up and play factor is much better. You can play 5-10 mins play several games and have fun.

New SSHD expansion coming soon. Link.

The guys at Housemarque have just finished their next Super Stardust HD expansion. The "solo pack" will be followed by the "team pack," which features a number of additions. Ilari Kuittinen, co-founder Housemarque, explained to MTV Multiplayer: "It features a split screen Versus Match and Co-Op, ship editor, a true 5.1 orchestral soundtrack, and trophies."

We're already excited for these new additions, but what we're even more intrigued by are the upcoming additions the Housemarque team is looking into. "We have been experimenting with a game mode we call "Twin gun" mode (not disclosing specifics at the moment, maybe you can guess?) and how to make music generated levels, etc." A Mizuguchi-inspired version of Stardust sounds like it would be a blast.

Thanks Hone. ;)

Splitscreen, finally! I hope they take the multiplayer online, too, but since they didn't mention it, it doesn't seem that likely. The ship editor sounds intriguing as well... I wonder what that could possibly entail.

I ended up getting the solo pack and it's pretty great if you like the game. Bomb and survival modes are mostly novelties, but I love being able to just play the short time attack games. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing another marathon arcade mode run with all the games coming out, but mark my words... One of these days, buddha, I will beat your wife! :D

You know when they said split screen I just presumed it was 2 players. Then I watched this vid. Almost at the end (2m 14s) it talks about downloadable content and it clearly shows 4 player split screen.

[quote name='metaly']Splitscreen, finally! I hope they take the multiplayer online, too, but since they didn't mention it, it doesn't seem that likely. The ship editor sounds intriguing as well... I wonder what that could possibly entail.

I ended up getting the solo pack and it's pretty great if you like the game. Bomb and survival modes are mostly novelties, but I love being able to just play the short time attack games. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing another marathon arcade mode run with all the games coming out, but mark my words... One of these days, buddha, I will beat your wife! :D[/QUOTE]Only problem I have with online is lag, which is why I think the game doesn't have it.

Anyway, I bought the Solo Pack myself and love it. I also finally got to the last planet.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']New SSHD expansion coming soon. Link.

Thanks Hone. ;)[/quote]
I noticed while finally reaching Segumo (or whatever the fifth planet is called) in regular arcade mode that there's a listing for the Team Add-on Pack in the in-game Store section. I guess they figured out the music-generated levels as alongside split-screen co-op and split-screen versus, music attack is the third mode included with that when it does come out. I'll definitely be getting that, as well as the Solo Pack once I get the money for them both.

OK, time for the inevitable, post-2.40 unearthing of this thread.

Let me start with a mostly trophy-unrelated anecdote on my rivalry with buddah's wife: I think I've finished my final arcade mode run tonight. I started it up, thinking I'd just play one planet to see how the trophy system worked, and then I just kept playing and playing... you know how it goes. As my score crept up to around 100 million, I thought I might as well keep going and try to give buddah's wife a run for her money. I noticed Smog was also playing and asked if he could maybe check what the high score was when he got a chance. (In-game messaging is fantastic.) So he messaged me back saying it was something like 196 million, and at that point I knew it was not going to happen. In fact, I think the shock of it was greater than I thought because I immediately started dying left and right. :lol: I ended up just short of 150 million and with half the trophies, so at least that's satisfying.

So, buddah's wife, I humbly acknowledge your SSHD mastery. :bow: May you one day break that 200 million barrier.

About the trophies: I like Sony's implementation, and many of the SSHD ones are pretty easily attainable if you've been through the game before. I also like that they gave me an excuse to play the arcade mode one more time, since usually I'm reluctant since the games take hours. Now that I have the trophies (and more significantly, now that I'm resigned to not having the high score), I'm content to play the single planet or time attack modes.

Speaking of modes, I noticed that the co-op pack is listed in the SSHD store, which explains why the latest patch was 255MB. It lists a few co-op related features and online is not among them, so I don't think I'll be getting the update. I am very curious about the ship editor though, so if anyone picks it up, please post with your impressions.

Most of the trophies in this game are fairly easy to attain, but some of the silvers are on the cusp of my grasp and it's maddening. I've got nine trophies and got close to the 7 minutes without dying in Endless mode trophy (like six minutes in), the get 20 bombs in Arcade mode trophy (died at 19), and the collect five shield tokens while already having a shield trophy (probably had 3 or 4 at one point). It was nice to see trophy support for the solo pack, so it's not all about just the co-op or arcade modes.

I have quite a few of the trophys, the 10x multiplier and the get 15 tokens at once seem so freakin hard. I got the 20 bombs in arcade, let me tell you, that was NOT easy. But since i was hording all of my bombs, i died in stupid spots and lost my 8x multiplier. BTW, tonight was the first time i actually played SSHD for real, i checked it out before and didnt like it. But it is one heck of a game.

That 15 token one is tough. I'm not sure what the best way to get it would be. I tried boosting through a couple of the bonus asteroids and that didn't work. (When did the countdown go from 10 to 15, by the way?) A good opportunity might be on stage 3 or 4 when you can just obliterate everything with the ice splitter. At one point, the face of the planet was almost covered in point tokens, but I couldn't take the time to line them all up.

I was glad to discover that for the shield blaster trophy the shield pickups are cumulative, so you don't need to pick up five all with the same shield. Not sure if it's cumulative between sessions, though.

Unless it were to say so, none of these should be available outside just one session.

Just got the shield blaster one, which I boosted through a blinking shield token to make sure I got it. :lol: Also got the 20 bombs trophy, too. Almost got the 10x trophy, but an ice asteroid landed on me. :whistle2:(

I like that they added monthly leaderboards so that I'm not stuck behind a bunch of people that haven't touched the game in a year or so.

bread's done
Back