Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Watched The Sessions. Both the wife and I loved it. Really amazing performances by everyone and it is a shock that the main guy (forget his name) did not get any major award nods.

[quote name='moon_knight']Start with Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky aka the best martial arts movie ever.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun one. :lol:

[quote name='DestroVega']So god awful it's great[/QUOTE]

Good description. :lol:

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Thanks! That's a BIG list! Hmmm. Where to start...?[/QUOTE]

Well, you can't go wrong with Bruce Lee (Enter The Dragon, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, The Chinese Connection) or the Jackie Chan (Wheels on Meals, Project A, Police Story 1 and 2, Drunken Master 1 and 2, etc. Chan is like the Buster Keaton of martial arts actors) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Keaton

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Watched The Sessions. Both the wife and I loved it. Really amazing performances by everyone and it is a shock that the main guy (forget his name) did not get any major award nods.[/QUOTE]

John Hawkes. Hes in Winters Bone and plays Kenny Powers brother on Eastbound.

Obviously not surprising that it was good but I just saw silver lining last night and it was great. Deniro does not deserve best supporting actor though

They showed Cable Guy and Game of Death last night on TV. Jim Carrey was sure batsh- insane, though not as much as he is now I guess.

Game of Death was pretty terrible, and the only reason to watch it is because of the fights. Thankfully Mr. Lee filmed them before his death, but I am going to miss the parts where he does some actual acting. I find Way of the Dragon to be my favorite Bruce Lee movie.

Cable Guy is underrated and awesome. I remember seeing it in the theater and hating it. Boy I wanna slap my 17-year-old self.

Also saw The Last Stand.

I really liked it. I was worried because Johnny Knoxville was in it, but he was used sparingly to the point where I didn't at all mind he was in it and in fact enjoyed he was. He was part of one of the most memorable scenes after all.

Good action movie. Shame it bombed so badly.

[quote name='whoknows']Also saw The Last Stand.

I really liked it. I was worried because Johnny Knoxville was in it, but he was used sparingly to the point where I didn't at all mind he was in it and in fact enjoyed he was. He was part of one of the most memorable scenes after all.

Good action movie. Shame it bombed so badly.[/QUOTE]

I think Johnny Knoxville is the problem, they push him pretty hard in the promos.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I think Johnny Knoxville is the problem, they push him pretty hard in the promos.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised. He almost made me not want to see it.

It's strange they pushed him so hard since he's only in it for a few minutes at the beginning and then at the end.

It was pretty juvenile but Haunted House was hilarious and actually did some decent spoofing (at least a lot better than the later scary movies did)

Rocky Balboa. Probably my 2nd favorite in the series after the first. So glad they did this one rather than letting the series stay ended with the awful 5th one.

The Dark Knight Rises. Liked it just as much as when I saw it in theaters. Great ending to the trilogy IMO.

Movie 43 - Saw it yesterday and I'm still feeling regret over spending money on it. It's been a long time since I've felt that way about a movie.

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']From the director of Oldboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCcgbpK8ck[/QUOTE]

I adore Oldboy (maybe the only movie that got such a strong reaction from me in one scene) but have never seen any other film from this director. Is any of his other stuff high quality? Perhaps I should look int the other 2 films in his Vengeance trilogy?

Die Hard

I've seen that movie more times than I can count and it wasn't until today that I realized how much lens flare there was in that movie. I guess I had thought lens flare was a relatively new development in cinematography but I guess not.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']I adore Oldboy (maybe the only movie that got such a strong reaction from me in one scene) but have never seen any other film from this director. Is any of his other stuff high quality? Perhaps I should look int the other 2 films in his Vengeance trilogy?[/QUOTE]

The other two films are a lot more straight forward. "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" is a cold, cold movie. Heartless really. If you want to know what the term, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" signifies, watch this. It's really cold. I don't know how else to talk about it.

"Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" is a lot warmer film. It's not as tight as "Oldboy" but the acting is top notch and the lead actress in it is fantastic. It's a story about redemption and... well vengeance.

They're both worth watching but they're both very different experiences from "Oldboy", which was part whodunit, part whydunit. Neither of the films has any mystery as to the who, what, where, when, why, of things, which added a lot to "Oldboy", but there are nevertheless a ton of memorable scenes in both films.

[quote name='HeroToTheMasses']The other two films are a lot more straight forward. "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" is a cold, cold movie. Heartless really. If you want to know what the term, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" signifies, watch this. It's really cold. I don't know how else to talk about it.

"Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" is a lot warmer film. It's not as tight as "Oldboy" but the acting is top notch and the lead actress in it is fantastic. It's a story about redemption and... well vengeance.

They're both worth watching but they're both very different experiences from "Oldboy", which was part whodunit, part whydunit. Neither of the films has any mystery as to the who, what, where, when, why, of things, which added a lot to "Oldboy", but there are nevertheless a ton of memorable scenes in both films.[/QUOTE]

He also directed "Thirst" which I thought was pretty good too.

[quote name='saunderscowie']He also directed "Thirst" which I thought was pretty good too.[/QUOTE]

I also thought 싸이보그지만 괜찮아, or I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK in English, was surprisingly good.

I watched Safe House last night instead of watching some Burn Notice reruns. It sure has a range of emotions for a action thriller movie, from comedy to excitement to downright sadness. For a Showtime movie, it's tame enough to air on regular tv with a few minor cuts, though I wonder if you can consider Patrick Stewart's butt something to not be missed.

I think the American Dad writers told Sir Stewart to base Avery Bullock off the Mace Sowell character, especially at the points in the movie where he goes batsh- insane.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']I also thought 싸이보그지만 괜찮아, or I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK in English, was surprisingly good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I brought that too, only seen it once a few years ago should again really. Overall he's a pretty solid Director, same with Kim Jee Woon.

V/H/S - Very weird and pretty creepy, definitely enjoyed it.

Taken 2 - Ok, not as good as the first.

Total Recall - Not very good. The special effects were very well done, but that was about it.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']I also thought 싸이보그지만 괜찮아, or I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK in English, was surprisingly good.[/QUOTE]

I really liked this film as well but it's so far removed from Oldboy, and people's expectation of what he can do, that I tend not to bring it up when people ask about Park.

[quote name='moon_knight']Why isn't anyone here talking about how great a film parker is?[/QUOTE]

I almost saw that over Movie 43. I wish I did.

I watched Goon last night. Thought it was a pretty good movie. Sean William Scott did a good job playing the straight man, and he did a good job looking like an actual tough guy hockey player.

[quote name='moon_knight']Why isn't anyone here talking about how great a film parker is?[/QUOTE]

Is it any better than any of his other films? I don't dislike the films but everytime I watch a Jason Statham film, I feel like I'm watching the same movie over and over again.

I recently watched Zero Dark Thirty and boy was that a great film. At first I didn't want to watch it because I really didn't want feel like watching a "fuck yeah, 'merica" film, glad I did. Too bad everyone else who watched it with me thought it sucked.

Zero Dark Thirty was fantastic! Definitely deserving of all the accolades. Not too much of a shock given how great her previous movie, The Hurt Locker, was.

[quote name='dohdough']Am I the only one that found Rocky V a fun movie? I watch that movie every time it's on tv.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's as bad as people say.

It was cool to see him get into a street fight.

bread's done
Back