Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='darthbudge'](500) Days of Summer.

This was a really well done movie with what I think was perfect casting. I

Avatar - 4/5 - Went to see Avatar in IMAX 3D. Here is my long ass review...
I normally don't go to the theaters to see films. I own a very nice home theater which I use to watch all the horror films I can find...mainly the bad ones. I don't need to introduce much about what Avatar is since its all over the place...even on my damn Coke Zero. Sounding like everyone else, the visual effects are outstanding. The motion cap that was made for this film is very impressive and actually works. You get some personality out of the 'naavi's' faces. Instead of voice over work the actors are actually acting when in cg. The attention to detail in the movie is second to none. Having Cameron dream up a world in such high detail is a remarkable feat. Little things like the helicopter bugs which don't even any role in the film are thought out to how the move, what sound they make, or what do they look like.

The score to avatar is not very impressive. I guess it fits the tribal vibe in the film but I didn't find myself tapping my foot during the movie or humming/thinking about any score after the film. The sounds for weapons or animals are superb. Some animals roars sounded like there were taken straight from one of the Jurassic Park movies...very cool. The story is very mediocre. To have a world that is so vivid and a story that is so formulaic makes me wonder what impressed viewers to go see this movie again. Because it looks cool in 3d? Parts to Avatar are so telegraphed it feels like a children's movie. Avatar is PG13 but it doesn't mean the writers can tell a story for 13 year olds. There are some humorous moments and the action at the end was enjoyable due to great special effects.

Avatar is a long film at 162 minutes. It doesn't feel exceptionally long due to the outstanding visual effects. I probably could have sat there watching the depth of field between an actor and a particle floating by for hours more. The film does achieve a lot technologically but the story is very underwhelming. There is nothing that comes close to the motion cap on the naavi that you will see in this film. The 3D isn't gimmicky and worth seeing in a theater if you have a chance. That being said I don't think you will take much home from Avatar besides the ridiculous special effects and the hope that other films will soon be able to achieve such amazing cg/tech for less than 300million.
Or the short version
Amazing CG, mediocre story, score isn't memorable. Very underwhelming movie due to the great hype....Amazing tech demo.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Me too.[/QUOTE]

Me three? Anyways I saw this Christmas day while the rest of my family saw a chick flick(It's Complicated).

Anyways I really enjoyed the movie. I plan on seeing it again and most likely buying the dvd when it is released.

[quote name='tcrash247']A Very Sunny Christmas - EXTREMELY funny! I loved it, it was fantastic.[/QUOTE]

i think u r referring to its always sunny in philly xmas episode. man, this episode was sooo funny. saw it on christmas and i was just laughing out loud the whole show. kinda depressing but these guys always get shafted for being so selfish and its comical because it isnt me

Avatar 3D - A great time at the movies, the Mrs. even loved it.

A Christmas Tale
- Absolutely brilliant must see French film. I liked how the film makers made it feel like we were actually peeking into this family's home. It was filmed in a mockumentary style but with a few interesting twists to make it feel fresh.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Sherlock Holmes - meh.[/QUOTE]

This. I loved the characters, I loved the actors playing them. I just couldn't get into the story.

Finished Das Boot

Very tense, very long but it remained compelling through the end. Being on a U-Boat in WW2 = not a fun job. They did a good job conveying what could be overly technical situations in ways that made sense. It was hilarious to see one of the guys from Beerfest as the sub's captain.

Star Trek

Pretty awesome. Hard to know what else to say. I hope they keep the cast around for at least one more movie although I don't know what I want to see happen to them. I don't know if they should try and incorporate elements from the original series/movies (Khan, etc.) or just continue to carve their own, new path.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']i think u r referring to its always sunny in philly xmas episode. man, this episode was sooo funny. saw it on christmas and i was just laughing out loud the whole show. kinda depressing but these guys always get shafted for being so selfish and its comical because it isnt me[/QUOTE]

I really want to see this since I love the show. Might have to actually buy it since Netflix doesn't carry the movie.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']i think u r referring to its always sunny in philly xmas episode. man, this episode was sooo funny. saw it on christmas and i was just laughing out loud the whole show. kinda depressing but these guys always get shafted for being so selfish and its comical because it isnt me[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I'm referring to, its called A Very Sunny Christmas. The only thing I didn't like was the stuff with Frank, Dennis and Dee trying to show him how much of an asshole Frank was. I thought that could have been funnier. The stuff with Mac and Charlie was priceless.

The Road - bleak...great performances by Viggo and the kid, movie itself was good though I don't expect it to win best picture...

Santa Claws - 1/5 - Painfully dreadful Santa horror film. takes place at an adult film studio where a man dressed later as santa murders all of 'Raven's' coworkers. Raven being a adult film star who is also dubbed 'Scream Queen' for Scream Productions...yet all their films had no one screaming...just stripping. The only humor you will get out of the film is by the godawful sound editing. During the single out door scene 2 kids and their mother are walking a dog. They say about 3 lines but a distinct echo from the recording studio made it hysterical. I dunno how a sound editor could have gave that an okay. Anyways definitely pass Santa Claws. It may seem clever but there are some far better santa horror films. Santa Claws does not have much horror, gore, or santa slaying.

Speaking of Santa Slaying..

Santa's Slay - 3/5 - Bill Goldberg runs around massacring all the naughty & nice around xmas. Goldberg plays a Nordic god, Santa, who goes around slaughtering everyone for no real reason besides that he can now since all bets are off during Christmas time. The beginning of this film is probably one of the highlights from my Santa/Christmas themed horror movieathon, where Goldberg comes in and murders Fran Drescher aka 'The Nanny', James Caan, and Rebecca Gayheart. Sadly there isn't many stars in this film but having Goldberg off a bunch of sudo stars at the beginning is the only real worth while part of Santa's Slay.
The appeal of Goldberg flipping people and tossing them into dumpsters lasts about an hour, the film runs 78minutes. The story starts off semi interesting how Santa does this bet to be good for a thousand years. Somewhat clever early on but definitely not interesting later in the film. If there would have been more over the top gore I think I would have enjoyed it. Some God of War-esc ripping people in half would have made this movie WAY better.

off to see Sherlock Holmes...

The Marine 2 - After seeing the abomination that is the first Marine, I was expecting a terrible movie. I actually highly enjoyed this one; and it goes to show that if you pick the right wrestler, you can actually get a good performance out of them. They seriously need to stop picking John Cena for these roles, Ted DiBiase Jr. was really good, and much more believable as a marine. There are quite a few "shotty" special effects (the fire, explosions), and the "military" is full of terrible actors, but otherwise I thought it was highly enjoyable and was actually a really good movie. Definitely the best WWE Film, although that's not saying much (even though I did like Condemned... but everything else has been beyond terrible).

It's actually worth seeing. Now, if they only put this movie in theaters, and not the first one, I think they would have actually made some money and not have had their movie pulled in under 2 weeks.

Taking Woodstock - It was ok, but nothing overly interesting, since most of the events are common knowledge.

Extract - Enjoyable movie, hell even Ben Affleck is funny in this.

The Road

Great movie. The casting was great and you really felt attached to the characters. They also did a great job of adapting the book to film without losing it's feel or tone. My second favorite movie of 2009.

Inglourious Basterds

Watched it again and Blu-Ray and it is such a great movie. The Blu-Ray transfer was really good. In my opinion I think it is QT's best movie to date and my favorite movie of 2009.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I really want to see this since I love the show. Might have to actually buy it since Netflix doesn't carry the movie.[/QUOTE]

ahem...save ur money and buy the dvd if u plan on buying. I hear the blu ray is terrible. Or...
torrent..? :cool:

i just got netflix and i think im going to cancel. the instant view things are shitty as hell...it reminds me of this thing i saw on tv...cant recall for some reason but people are buying/renting movies and the store that sells them are making the movies to cut costs. I think it might've been a SNL or MadTV skit. real funny skit but i feel like im in the same situation. some of the crap on netflix instant view has me saying WTF all the time.

Rocky - I had actually never seen the first movie. I've seen 3 and 4 multiple times because they always seemed to come on TV on days when I wasn't doing anything. At any rate, 3 and 4 are kind of corny, 80s movies with all kinds of stupid stuff to giggle at. Like the robot, and Paulie, and Rocky's stupid kid. The original Rocky is fucking awesome. It's so gritty and emotional. They really should have stopped making the movies after the first one, Rocky should never have won the title and fought Hulk Hogan and Mr. T. All that later stuff diminishes the first movie.

I need to post more often...

Inkheart - A worse version of the ending of Futurama's "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9IrDH74CTM It's not all bad, but I've got say I really disliked Brendan Fraser. The movie takes itself far more seriously than he does, so he stands out. Wait for The Neverending Story remake.

Smokey and the Bandit - A lot of fun. I thought the writing was terrible (except for the radio chatter, which I can't comment on), but the actors played it so well it doesn't matter. But it's the driving that's really the point, and it delivers. They could absolutely make a Burnout: Smokey and The Bandit... as if they aren't thinking about that when they make these games already.

Frost/Nixon - Really great. Nixon was before my time, so most of what I know of him comes from soundbites and caricatures. This movie does a great job of making Nixon a person. The plot, culled from reality or not, seemed too Hollywoody - Interview-wise, Frost does nothing for 11 days, then pulls out a victory from a drunk dial followed by a montage. I thought it made Reston's (Sam Rockwell) comments about Frost "understanding television" ring hollow. Sure, he knew how to get something on the air, but the movie does not show that he actually knew how to make something worthwhile in the first place. Still, it's all worth it for the Nixon performance.

The Devil and Miss Jones - Great.

Avatar (Imax 3D) - Obviously this movie has enough hype going for it, but I'll go ahead and say I was amazed. The story is good, the characters are great, and the special effects are pretty much unfuckingbelievable. The first half is slow, but beautiful. The second half is dragons vs robots. Michelle Rodriguez's character is terrible (though I had no problem with her acting) -
I saw no reason for here to be on the side of the Na'vi. Her character wasn't developed enough for that turn.
It's possible (probable...) that I was particularly impressed by this movie because of the Imax 3D experience. So be it.

The Road - Abandon hope, all ye who enter. Viggo Mortensen is certainly awesome, but I'm afraid I didn't have much appreciation for the story. I can revel in a depressing movie, but this just seemed so pointless. The kid was really annoying... how can you be that big a pussy growing up after the apocalypse? For what it's worth, my friend loves the book, and he really liked the movie.

Die Hard - A local theater showed Die Hard for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho.

Santa Claus (1959) - The theater showed this after Die Hard, apparently as punishment for something horrible that I've done. Honestly though, this movie was awesome.

The Taking Pelham One Two Three (1974) - Great. It's so thoroughly a 70s movie that I don't know how anyone thought a modern remake could work.

Lady in the Water - Kind of threw me for a loop, because I did not hate it. I mean, it's undeniably stupid - a fact that is exacerbated by endless, blunt exposition. And Shyamalan does indeed cast himself as a brilliant writer in the movie he wrote. And he murders a film critic for being a... critic. But it's passionately made, at least.

The Goods - Kind of funny.

Sherlock Holmes - I enjoyed it. I would say this movie is to be avoided if you care at all about the Sherlock Holmes character, but if you want to see Robert Downie Jr. as a British Batman, it's worth seeing. The scenes where Sherlock boxes people add pretty much nothing to the movie, so I don't know why Ritchie opted to piss people off with them.

Amadeus - It won 8 Oscars!

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - Awesome. It starts out slow, and goes off the rails as Nic Cage's character goes off his. It's got a lot of bizarre Werner Herzog flourishes.

21 Grams - Seen it before, but I forgot everything about it. It's more involving earlier in the film as you try to figure out what the hell is going on.

The River Wild - A pretty fun adventure movie. It has some massive plot holes, and I didn't think the river scenes were filmed all that well, and hey, it's that kid from Jurassic Park.

District 9. Very good. Liked it more than I thought I would, as I figured with all the hype I'd be let down. But it lived up to it.

The Apartment (Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacClaine and Fred MacMurray)

I'm starting to appreciate the old movie classics and watched this one for the first time. If Judd Apatow were making films in 1960...it mighta turned out something like this. Great movie; part comedy, part drama, great performances.

Terminator Salvation - Nice explosions, stupid story. I can't help but feel like this entire movie was pointless. They need to stop with this series already.

Avatar - My first 3d experience. I thought it was awesome in 3d, the story itself was pretty much paint by numbers, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and isn't in this movie.

bread's done
Back