Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

God Bless America - Really enjoyed it. Bashed you in the head with how bad society has gotten in terms of media and whatnot, but thoroughly entertaining.

Watched Boy Wonder last night. It was okay. The ending was really good, but guess I was expecting more after everything I've been hearing about it lately.

[quote name='moon_knight']
Should've gone with Paranorman[/QUOTE]

I'll see that eventually. The marketing is putting a huge emphasis on the zombie aspect and I'm incredibly tired of zombies, so that killed a lot of my interest in it.

Whale Rider- It's a interesting movie that deals with family and tradition. Strong leading female. Worth a look if you want to escape a Hollywood like feel and have non whites being the main characters.

[quote name='VipFREAK']21 jump street - pretty bad

Duh Dictator - pretty funny[/QUOTE]

I can't take your opinion seriously.

Anyways, I watched The Change-Up yesterday expecting it to be pretty bad, but I actually really enjoyed it. I thoroughly enjoy Jason Batemen's acting and I'm actually a fan of Ryan Reynold's style of comedy, unlike a lot of people. Not to mention seeing Olivia Wilde is always a plus.

The Angel's Share- It's a new Scottish film. A funny comedy with a good small group of characters to keep track of. For us not used to the accent it is hard to understand half of the lines. Maybe it's best to watch on DVD at some point.

Saw the Day of the Dolphin. Written by Buck Henry, and starring George C. Scott and Paul Sorvino. I thought it would be like the Simpsons episode, but it was a pretty interesting movie until the end, as an evil plot is uncovered. The way the more "mature" themes were presented actually reminded me of Tron, since that dealt with something we're going to have to deal with in the future and any exploration of it had to be relegated to the "intense plot."

And "Pa does not love Fa!"
psycymains010908.jpg

Paranorman
[quote name='whoknows']I'll see that eventually. The marketing is putting a huge emphasis on the zombie aspect and I'm incredibly tired of zombies, so that killed a lot of my interest in it.[/QUOTE]
It's actually very well done. the Zombies are a relatively minor aspects. Almost in the sense of Walking Dead which isn't really about the zombies. It's about being different, bullying and I think we all know where that leads. In retrospect
I should have seen the ending joke coming because thematically that's kinda what everything hints towards

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Beetlejuice. If I treat it as a comedy, I thought it was fun. But a damn shame that Burton didn't utilize Keaton more, or at least in a slightly different capacity.[/QUOTE]wait... it's not a comedy?

[quote name='Clak']Tucker and Dale was pretty funny, totally turned that crazy hillbilly type of horror movie on it's head.[/QUOTE]
great movie0

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Has anybody seen the new Total Recall? Is it a fun movie to go see? Most agree it isn't better than the first. But some are making out the first to be this cinematic masterpiece which I don't think it is. Any thoughts CAG's?[/QUOTE]
My little cousin liked it but she's never seen the original so it's not that her opinion is invalid. It's just that she can't articulate how good it is by comparison.

[quote name='nixmahn']All classics from that era are served with a bit of cheese, the remake/ripoff better have actors be able to or willing to pull that off, if not, than I know its going to be a bad movie that I don't want to see.

Most classics from that era pretty much has 1 outlandish concept and everything logically flows after that 1 concept, no matter how rediculous it may be. It is up to the actor/actors that makes that 1 concept believable.

Highlander/Adventures in Babysitting/Coming to America/The Terminator/Die Hard/The Princess Bride/Willow/Back to the Future/Ghostbusters/Ferris Bueller's Day Off/Big Trouble in Little China/Gremlins[/QUOTE]

I dunno some of those movies hold up very well I think. They're outdated now like movies that center around character unable to contact each other because cell phones weren't around but some of those hold up very well. Die Hard I've seen more than a few times and I think it holds up cheeselessly as well as maybe The Terminator, and Back to the Future if I remember correctly.

Haywire.

Didn't like it at all. Expected a lot more from Soderberg, the cast and an 81% on RT. Found it boring, the action/fight scenes pretty lame etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Haywire.

Didn't like it at all. Expected a lot more from Soderberg, the cast and an 81% on RT. Found it boring, the action/fight scenes pretty lame etc.[/QUOTE]
*sigh*

^^ Such an enlightening response to someone's opinion.

Just finished up the documentary "Marley." Really great stuff. Even if you're not that big of a Bob Marley fan, you'll still enjoy it.

[quote name='GhostShark']^^ Such an enlightening response to someone's opinion.

Just finished up the documentary "Marley." Really great stuff. Even if you're not that big of a Bob Marley fan, you'll still enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure my response has given dmaul1114 a new outlook on life.

Singin' in the Rain.
Lots of people keep thinking of the title song and can't for the life of them tell me what the hell the plot is about.

Gene Kelly is amazing, and he freakishly reminds me a little bit of Christian Bale in American Psycho. Too bad there aren't any actors like Mr. Kelly anymore.

I think it is a great film but as a modern viewer, I do find the musical numbers jarring and half of them seem like excess frosting, a point that even the actors in the movie referenced when talking about the Dancing Cavalier.

I'd recommend you watch it, especially since the only thing everybody knows about the movie is just that song that lasts a mere fraction of the time compared to the other numbers.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Singin' in the Rain.

I think it is a great film but as a modern viewer, I do find the musical numbers jarring and half of them seem like excess frosting, a point that even the actors in the movie referenced when talking about the cavalier.[/QUOTE]

This is why I can't stand most movies made prior to 1965-68

Watched these to / from NY trip last week.

Woody Allen: A Documentary
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
21 Jump Street
The Raid

Last night:

5cm Per Second

[quote name='DestroVega']This is why I can't stand most movies made prior to 1965-68[/QUOTE]

Huh? Most classics don't have musical numbers worked in like Singing in the Rain. I'm not huge fan of classics or anything, but plenty of great movies from back then like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Hitchcock's films etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Huh? Most classics don't have musical numbers worked in like Singing in the Rain. I'm not huge fan of classics or anything, but plenty of great movies from back then like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Hitchcock's films etc.[/QUOTE]

Didn't mean music only, much of it is cheesey. Pointing out the movies you named are the exceptions obviously.

I don't know that I'd agree that most old movies are cheesy either. Quaint maybe, as things were different back then both in society and in terms of what they could include in movies in terms of language, level of violence etc. than in the present.

[quote name='DestroVega']Didn't mean music only, much of it is cheesey. Pointing out the movies you named are the exceptions obviously.[/QUOTE]

Musicals are cheesy, however modern movies are way more cheesy then the classics.

Examples of modern movies include our universe as a virtual reality where you can learn kungfu in 3 seconds flat. Talking alien robots from outerspace who can transform into cars. A Viking god, a green monster, and a guy in a robot suit fighting invading aliens. Plus a heaping helping of vampires, zombies and ghosts.

I dare you to find any classic movies that are even half as cheesy as the typical Michael Bay movie.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yes but there's a difference between classic and old.[/QUOTE]

I don't really know what to say.

With rare exception, modern movies are way more cheesy and commercial then old movies.

Old movies had real heart. Even a silent Charlie Chaplain flick would have moments of true sentimentality or clever satire in between the hijinks.

Most modern movies are so silly and childlike that cheeseball is a vast understatement. And when they are trying hard play it serious (like Titanic or Inception) they can't help coming off as somewhat cheesy or gimmicky.

I wish there were move movies like "The King's Speech" or "The Hurt Locker" - those movies are reminiscent of a time when you couldn't just gloss over character development and plot with a bunch of special effects and hope to be taken seriously.

If you don't like old movies that's fine, but don't say that most of them were cheesy. That's just wrong.

There are good old movies. There are bad old movies.

There are good current movies. There are bad current movies.

Classics are the good movies of the past and the current good movies are the classics of the future generations.

It's that simple. If you're a big movie fan, it's silly to ignore the good movies of any era. Every era has it's great movies and it's awful movies and everything in between.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yes but there's a difference between classic and old.[/QUOTE]

No need to get defense about it. The older films take a little settling into but once you get used to their style, there's a lot of really great stuff to look into.

Check out:

His Girl Friday -

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63243

It's got some of the best dialogue you'll ever hear. If you can keep up. Just sharp, funny, and entertaining as heck.

alright speaking of which I've seen 2 of the three Snow White films. Huntsman was ok. Mirror Mirror was better than my sister warned me and the third "Grimms' Snow White" is an Asylum film. 40 seconds in and it stopped making sense. I was so confused then 'Asylum Films' popped up and my expectations lowered appropriately.

Resident Evil as I said in my blog was ok.

Battleship was bad to ok

The Dictator was tolerable/ok. Nothing special. A few good jokes. A gross out scene. Nothing you don't expect from SBC but glory be it wasn't reality based. It's SO much more comfortable watching him with a script and other actors.

To Watch:
Invasion of the Alien Bikini
The Cabin in the Woods (I hate horror films but far too many people have told me to watch this and noone will tell me anything so I've given up and acquired it)

[quote name='camoor']I don't really know what to say.

With rare exception, modern movies are way more cheesy and commercial then old movies.

Old movies had real heart. Even a silent Charlie Chaplain flick would have moments of true sentimentality or clever satire in between the hijinks.

Most modern movies are so silly and childlike that cheeseball is a vast understatement. And when they are trying hard play it serious (like Titanic or Inception) they can't help coming off as somewhat cheesy or gimmicky.

I wish there were move movies like "The King's Speech" or "The Hurt Locker" - those movies are reminiscent of a time when you couldn't just gloss over character development and plot with a bunch of special effects and hope to be taken seriously.

If you don't like old movies that's fine, but don't say that most of them were cheesy. That's just wrong.[/QUOTE]

I now imagine you as an old man who yells at kids to get off his lawn.

2hxlsh4.jpg

Cabin in the Woods - as I've said repeatedly I'm not into horror films but this was very good. I suspect that's pretty much what noone will tell you. Everyone pushes you to just see it sight unseen. Honestly considering the presentation I'm not sure that's really necessary. It's like when people complained about the Assassin's Creed spoiler that you aren't IN the past you're in the future reliving the past. When it occurs that early in the product it's not a spoiler it's part of the premise. To get back on topic it's a good movie and I really really think it could be a fantastically dark comic book.
where adventure after adventure the reader would be cheering for the monsters to earnestly kill the teenagers. As opposed to the traditional wishing for the teens to escape or the atypical monsters aren't really bad. This would be a unique book about actual monsters viciously killing teens and you WANT it to happen. It wouldn't even have to focus on those people. You could also do similar adventures in Japan and Sweden and all kinds of other places.

25z59jc.jpg

Grimm's Snow White - the third and last of the Snow White movies was the Asylum knock off. It's not terrible like other Asylum films I've seen but it's bad.. its' really bad. Cringeworthy oddly enough not because of the bad acting but because of the bad plot. At one point for instance Snow White is knocked out. The huntsman struggles and takes off her ring. They then cut to Snow lying down WEARING THE RING. It's so jarringly bad editing I thought maybe there were two rings and I was missing the point. This ring has no power, doesn't particularly stand out, and isn't well known as Snow White's ring. Yet still when the Huntsman is about to be tortured b/c the Queen suspects Snow isn't dead he makes sure his son gets the ring. "Here take this and run, don't let the Queen catch you. Also I never killed anyone" (just like in The Dictator) This ring does come into play again as you might suspect because you've been seeing it over and over and over since the film started. What is it's ultimate purpose? The prince sees the kid wearing this ring like he's a wanna-be pimp. The prince then thinks.. if this boy got the ring from his non-murdering father then Snow White must be alive. That's it. The ring is never mentioned again. Just one of many many seemingly random plot devices that sprung up out of nowhere. As I write this thinking about other bad plot points it occurs to me that perhaps the whole reason there are no dwarves and instead there are elves (one of which is "Runt" the half-human) might be because they couldn't afford to pay that many small people. Or and I'm pulling for this one. No small person would take a role in that film.

tl;dr -> it's JUST bad enough to laugh at like The Darkest Hours. Barely. A shade more and it'd just be so bad it's sad.

261gtxw.jpg

Stagecoach - for class; decent movie B&W western that was rather compelling. Fun times.

2n17yo3.jpg

The Five Year Engagement - not at all what I expected from the trailers.. well that's not fair. It was half what I expected. I thought it would be halftime: She's living the life. Followed by halftime: He's living the life. Since it wasn't. That actually made the movie slightly better. As a fan of romantic comedies it was fun but nothing spectacular

Hit & Run- Kind of odd. I liked the main couple. I enjoyed seeing Kristen Bell. Some of the humour was good, some bad. It's not a movie you need to see but I didn't regret watching it either. Maybe too vulgar for it's own good? Definitely some lack of character development for half of the cast.

Speaking of Total Recall I saw the new one very recently.

I enjoyed it and I liked the look of the world a lot. Lot's of action and cool futuristic gadget things.

People are going to whine and automatically say it's bad because it's a "remake", but A.) It's not trying to be the Arnold movie and B.) The Arnold movie is far from a masterpiece.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Total Recall, this is the third Arnold movie I paid attention to where the love interest is an ethnic brunette. This is really a common trope innit?[/QUOTE]
there are worse tropes to have i suppose

Yeah, Total Recall was a total cheesefest, as with most of his films. I guess people were too busy remembering the three-boobed whore to give a damn about the flaws.

Saw both Dredd and Looper over the weekend.

Dredd very well redeemed itself over the 1996 Stallone mess. Great action, nice self-contained plot, stuck close to the original source material, left their way open for a sequel. If you think Lena Headey is evil in Game of Thrones, her role as Ma Ma goes so over the top it's great.

Looper was a complete mindfuck from beginning to end. One of the best scifi movies I've seen since Moon. Certainly would recommend a second viewing to see items you might have missed the first time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt almost does a better Bruce Willis than Bruce Willis does.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looper was a complete mindfuck from beginning to end. One of the best scifi movies I've seen since Moon. Certainly would recommend a second viewing to see items you might have missed the first time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt almost does a better Bruce Willis than Bruce Willis does.[/QUOTE]

So glad to hear this. I've been following this movie for years and can't wait to see it tonight.

[quote name='whoknows']Speaking of Total Recall I saw the new one very recently.

I enjoyed it and I liked the look of the world a lot. Lot's of action and cool futuristic gadget things.

People are going to whine and automatically say it's bad because it's a "remake", but A.) It's not trying to be the Arnold movie and B.) The Arnold movie is far from a masterpiece.[/QUOTE]

The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.

[quote name='camoor']The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.[/QUOTE]

Agree with all this. It's not even an Arnold movie, it's a Verhoven movie.

Dredd with Karl Urban was legit. Certainly not an amazing movie, but a lot better than Judge Dredd. Popcorn action fest.

Looper on the other hand was great. Had a few moments of slow, but it cleaned up really well at the end. A second watch is a must.

[quote name='IanKazimer']So glad to hear this. I've been following this movie for years and can't wait to see it tonight.[/QUOTE]There's enough humor in there to make it not all dry, as well as the action not being the complete focus of the movie. Well-balanced, I thought, and well-timed, as longer would have been dragged out and shorter would have missed some items.

[quote name='j-cart']Dredd with Karl Urban was legit. Certainly not an amazing movie, but a lot better than Judge Dredd. Popcorn action fest.

Looper on the other hand was great. Had a few moments of slow, but it cleaned up really well at the end. A second watch is a must.[/QUOTE]Dredd was much better than the 1996 mess and I thought it stuck well to the source material. It didn't go so overboard with the background that you needed it to enjoy the movie. Great popcorn action fest without question. The fact that the helmet never came off was perfect. Karl Urban got it right for Dredd and I was not able to think of anyone else that could have done it as well. Uniform also was much more believable than the Armani-themed ones for the 1996 movie.

I think I'll save my second watching of Looper for it on disc, as I did for Moon.

Saw Dredd, End of Watch and Looper. End of Watch was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was pretty funny at times and did a good job with tension in some scenes, especially the climax.

bread's done
Back