Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Rocky. Somehow I'd never seen the first one. Great movie.

Will probably watch the rest of the series over the next couple of weeks (have the Bluray set) since there all 1:85:1 and I want to avoid black bars for a bit while breaking in my new plasma.

Watched The Dark Knight Rises again. Liked it a lot better than when I saw it in the theatre. Miranda Tate still drags the movie down like a motherfuck, though.

Just saw Zero Dark Thirty screening. Like all the noms this year, was good but not overwhelmingly great.

Lincoln is probably gonna win everything...

[quote name='dmaul1114']Rocky. Somehow I'd never seen the first one. Great movie.

Will probably watch the rest of the series over the next couple of weeks (have the Bluray set) since there all 1:85:1 and I want to avoid black bars for a bit while breaking in my new plasma.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought everyone has seen Rocky. Did you see the sequels already? Rocky 2 and 3 kind of blend together in my mind as one for some reason. 4 is great, I believe Stallone said that's when his creative juices peaked. 5 gets better each time I watch it. RB great too.

The Master

Great job by Joaquin and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I don't think I fully got it. Something about the end tells me I must have not picked up on something... time to go look at some plot line discussions.

Edit: Ah OK. I slightly misinterpreted something. Nevermind. Though another thing I was not sure about is a little bit more open. People who saw the movie would probably know what I'm referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw Django. Someone here mentioned it was like Basterds and it's not at all.

Tarantino still hasn't made a bad movie, I don't know where I would rank this one but it wouldn't crack the top three for me. Great nonetheless.

[quote name='moon_knight']I liked Dredd a lot, but it seems like people who praise the hell out of it haven't seen The Raid.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll have to check it out.

[quote name='Vader582']I thought Dredd was great. A throwback to 80s R-rated movies. I'd put it up there with Robocop.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it twice now and I still don't know what to think of it. One thing is for sure though... Wat.. Duh... fuck... were they thinking with those motorcycles... ?

I like Olivia Therby.

[quote name='jaso']I don't doubt it. It wasn't to lose weight, though - it was half coincidental. I thought I had a stomach ulcer and heard cabbage juice was a natural cure.

Stomach ulcer > cabbage juice.[/QUOTE]

I want it more for being heathier than needing to lose weight. I saw it more about motivation and determination than not factual or whatever...

Saw both Dredd and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Both were fantastic and much better than I was expecting. Some very surprisingly strong performances in Silver Linings Playbook all around.

Cut the first hour and Zero Dark Thirty was pretty good. The torture scenes were just incredibly boring and really added nothing. I liked Hurt Locker way more for telling a story, instead of trying to tell a story.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Saw both Dredd and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Both were fantastic and much better than I was expecting. Some very surprisingly strong performances in Silver Linings Playbook all around.[/QUOTE]

Why surprising? The cast looked like the strength of the movie. The dancing looked lame.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Saw both Dredd and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Both were fantastic and much better than I was expecting. Some very surprisingly strong performances in Silver Linings Playbook all around.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear the positive reaction for SLP. I'm hoping to catch it here in about a month or so.

[quote name='bburpee']Why surprising? The cast looked like the strength of the movie. The dancing looked lame.[/QUOTE]

It was surprising because Jennifer Lawrence is still a relative up and comer, Bradley Cooper doesn't have much in the way of serious acting experience, and Robert DeNiro is coming off of a long string of laughably bad roles (remember that terrible cop movie he was in with Al Pacino, Righteous Kill, I think it was?). Hell, even Chris Tucker did great in a role as a character whose premise borders on slapstick.

Also, the dancing stuff was really, really low key. They aren't heavy handed with it at all. You could almost argue there's more relation to jogging in the movie than dancing.

Silver Linings Playbook - I'm in the minority here but I didn't like it. I thought it was weird and was honestly pretty bored throughout.

Zero Dark Thirty - Really enjoyed this one. I hated Hurt Locker so I was very happy that ZDT was a ton better. The end was a lot more exciting and tense than Hurt Locker to me.

[quote name='tcrash247']Silver Linings Playbook - I'm in the minority here but I didn't like it. I thought it was weird and was honestly pretty bored throughout.

Zero Dark Thirty - Really enjoyed this one. I hated Hurt Locker so I was very happy that ZDT was a ton better. The end was a lot more exciting and tense than Hurt Locker to me.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear about ZDT. I didn't like Hurt Locker either so I'm hesitant on this one.

I saw Expendables 2 last night. It was better than the first. I couldn't tell if everyone was in on the joke or not, some of the one liners were horrible. I take that back, all of the one liners were horrible.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Good to hear about ZDT. I didn't like Hurt Locker either so I'm hesitant on this one.

I saw Expendables 2 last night. It was better than the first. I couldn't tell if everyone was in on the joke or not, some of the one liners were horrible. I take that back, all of the one liners were horrible.[/QUOTE]

That's why the one liners were so great. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie where someone would say "rest in pieces."

A Haunted House was great if you're into the spoof movies. Pretty much the spiritual successor to the original Scary Movie (the new one looks like crap, not involving the Wayans.) As usual if you're not into the crude humour don't bother.

I liked ZDT, but not as much as The Hurt Locker. There weren't any scenes that resonated with me the way that certain scenes in Hurt Locker did.

Mini-series rather than movie, The Hatfields and McCoys.

Pretty solid, very good performances from Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. Looked amazing on Blu, super sharp, lots of detail.

Silver Linings Playbook was awesome. One of my favorite movies of the year. Going into it I thought it was more of a comedy than a drama but it's probably more drama than comedy. Great movie either way. Also, I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

Django Unchained was pretty awesome as well. I really liked Christoph Waltz in it. I had never heard of him going into it. I'm pretty sure he won a Golden Globe for his role and he definitely deserved it.

Argo was pretty good and worth a watch but I'll probably never watch it again. I'm glad others seem to like it more though because I like Ben Affleck.

Edit: Apparently Looper wasn't up for any awards? That was 2012 right? That was probably my single favorite movie of the year. Much better than Argo or Lincoln imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']Silver Linings Playbook was awesome. One of my favorite movies of the year. Going into it I thought it was more of a comedy than a drama but it's probably more drama than comedy. Great movie either way. Also, I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

Django Unchained was pretty awesome as well. I really liked Christoph Waltz in it. I had never heard of him going into it. I'm pretty sure he won a Golden Globe for his role and he definitely deserved it.

Argo was pretty good and worth a watch but I'll probably never watch it again. I'm glad others seem to like it more though because I like Ben Affleck.

Edit: Apparently Looper wasn't up for any awards? That was 2012 right? That was probably my single favorite movie of the year. Much better than Argo or Lincoln imo.[/QUOTE]

Watch Inglorious Basterds, Waltz is incredible in that movie and won an Oscar for it.

And yeah, sci fi rarely gets nominated for anything outside the technical categories. It should be nominated for screenplay at the very least.

I'm 1:50 into the 2:40 Hunger Games and I don't know how I feel about it yet. It's OK but I'm not blown away or anything. Maybe when I watch the last 1/2 hour I'll feel differently...

[quote name='Javery']I'm 1:50 into the 2:40 Hunger Games and I don't know how I feel about it yet. It's OK but I'm not blown away or anything. Maybe when I watch the last 1/2 hour I'll feel differently...[/QUOTE]

You wont, the movie blows.

Saw Wreck It Ralph with my 5-year-old finally. Surprisingly few video-game in-jokes and nods, but good movie overall. Wish they had left out the stupid Konami code joke. Made me cry twice; apparently I'm as big a pussy as Cheapy is.

Saw Gangster Squad over the weekend. I liked it a lot, felt like a throwback to The Untouchables.

Looper, saw it twice at home, didn't care much for it. First half of the film was good, second half just didn't do it for me, almost felt like they were written by two different people. Plus some things never seemed to be answered, like
how the woman on the farm knew what a Looper was.
Was that ever explained? Did I miss something?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I liked The Hunger Games. I read, and enjoyed, the books first though.[/QUOTE]
I still don't understand the praise that movie got. Here there were professors using it in sociology classes like it was a serious study on human society. As a movie I thought there were things they could have changed that would of helped, but then it would have been more adult too. I thought
having the little girl turn on Katniss and try to attack her
would have been a nice twist. Just to show that survival is the top priority for anyone, no matter their age. Like I said though, that might have been too over the top for PG-13.

It's a series of bleak future books/movies written for teens. Might as well use the Twilight series in a history class.

[quote name='benjamouth']Watched Dredd on Blu-Ray, thought it was really good and that's from a 2000 AD reader from back in the day.[/QUOTE]

same here, i was surprised at how good it was.

hoping for a sequel.

anyone seen jack reacher? it seems interesting

Seven Psychopaths: (4/5)
-
Not as good as In Bruge or The Guard but still a ton of fun.The story feels a bit disjointed at times but the acting is top notch. Worth checking out.

Dredd: (4/5)

-One of the best over the top action flicks of 2012. It is very similar to The Raid: Redemption. Dredd is violent, gory and unapologetic. Simply put a really well done adaptation.

[quote name='Clak']I still don't understand the praise that movie got. Here there were professors using it in sociology classes like it was a serious study on human society. As a movie I thought there were things they could have changed that would of helped, but then it would have been more adult too. I thought
having the little girl turn on Katniss and try to attack her
would have been a nice twist. Just to show that survival is the top priority for anyone, no matter their age. Like I said though, that might have been too over the top for PG-13.

It's a series of bleak future books/movies written for teens. Might as well use the Twilight series in a history class.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree that that's crazy. It's just a decent movie based on a decent series of books.

It's not fine art or anything of any kind of importance that's worthy of analysis in college classes etc. Just decent, mindless entertainment IMO. Books are an easy and fun read, and the movie was a fun watch.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd agree that that's crazy. It's just a decent movie based on a decent series of books.

It's not fine art or anything of any kind of importance that's worthy of analysis in college classes etc. Just decent, mindless entertainment IMO. Books are an easy and fun read, and the movie was a fun watch.[/QUOTE]
It's an ok movie, I guess I just get irritated when people hold something up to be more than it is. There are films which are good as social commentary, but I don't think Hunger Games was.

It really is just alright. Felt so long and half an hour before it was over I was ready to leave. Got free tickets to see it, and can't say it was really worth anymore than that.

Zero Dark Thirty- Good, but a bit too long.
Gangster Squad- A lot of fun except for the serious moments.
V/H/S- I personally didn't think it was scary, but it was pretty enjoyable.
Killer Joe- Masterfully well done for the kind of movie that it was.

Philadelphia - 4/5 Great acting by Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks. Story is 4.5/5, execution of story 4/5, acting 5/5, social relevance 5/5. Can't get this song out of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHpQFF_Et4s

Uncle Buck - 4/5 John Candy is a likable fellow, Macauly Culkin & Gaby Hoffmann are great.

1972 Andes Plane Crash Films:
Alive - 4.75/5 Tells an amazing true story faithfully, only flaw is that it may not show the entire experience, made it seem less harsh than it was. One of the most dramatic stories of human survival and spirit.

Stranded - 5/5 Tells the story of the Andes Plane crash directly from the survivors.
http://www.amazon.com/Stranded/dp/B...=UTF8&qid=1358222896&sr=8-4&keywords=stranded

I also recommend these films based on the Andes Plane Crash, I forget what I'd rate them but they're easily 4/5:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Alive:_Surviving_the_Andes_Plane_Crash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapped_(National_Geographic_Channel)#Season_1

[quote name='giantqtipz']same here, i was surprised at how good it was.

hoping for a sequel.

anyone seen jack reacher? it seems interesting[/QUOTE]

I saw Jack Reacher last week. It's alright I suppose. It's not offensively bad but it isn't terribly unique or interesting either. It very much is a middle of the road movie. The one thing that really bothered me with it though was the heavy handed super hero comparisons
at one point one character even asks Jack Reacher "how can I find you if I need you?" in a very Batman-ish way.
. I will say that Rosamund Pike is absolutely stunning though, even if she seems to play a very similar character to what she played in Fracture...

I thought Jack Reacher was really good, but the previews portrayed it as a much different movie than it really was. (it's more crime/detective stuff, with some action scenes)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I saw Jack Reacher last week. It's alright I suppose. It's not offensively bad but it isn't terribly unique or interesting either. It very much is a middle of the road movie. The one thing that really bothered me with it though was the heavy handed super hero comparisons
at one point one character even asks Jack Reacher "how can I find you if I need you?" in a very Batman-ish way.
. I will say that Rosamund Pike is absolutely stunning though, even if she seems to play a very similar character to what she played in Fracture...[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks. Yeah I'm just looking for a fun movie to watch. Edit: but apparently its sort of like sherlock holmes? ^ that's fine with me.

Rosamund Pike is pretty cute, especially in Doom. I'm surprised she agreed to play in Doom to be honest lol.

Funny you mentioned Batman, I just saw dark knight returns part 2 online (its leaked). I couldn't resist waiting, and it was good.

bread's done
Back