Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Straight Outta Compton - wayyyy better than what I thought it would be. I figured it would be good but was blown away how great it tuned out to be. Eazy E was not a saint by any means but man you can't help but feel terrible at the end when you see him. I've actually seen it twice now and I understand why some have been a bit critical of the third act as it does seem like the pacing is kinda fucked and they are going into fast forward at that point but I read today the original cut is 3 and a half hours while the theatrical is only 2 hours and 27 minutes so that's practically another film itself. I hope to hell that footage sees the light of day when it comes out on home video as I'd love to see anything extra this thing had.  Also, I loved that they threw in a couple of Friday references, didn't think they would but they came through on that haha.

The Visit. Actually, pretty hilarious - didn't read anything about it before going so was surprised to see it was a comedy horror.

Shit don't taste like chicken. Shania Twain, bitch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Like supposed to be funny or just M. Night Shyamalan doing his thing?
I was thinking the same thing.The trailers didn't make it look it was a horror comedy at all.

Over The Top:

It has some good cheesy moments,but otherwise is just boring as hell. The entire script is made up of cliches,and all of them are done in the most boring way possible. Then you got Stallone who gives one of his worst performances(not that hard to find a bad one from him). Every scene he mumbles his lines and looks so bored.

Broken Arrow:

John Woo Hollywood action schlock. Worth watching just for John Travolta's ridiculous performance as the villain. He's suppose to be menacing,but he plays his usually "cool" character. He does this while saying hilarious lines,all while having a shit eating grin the entire time. The action scenes are decent,nothing really special. Don't bother thinking about the plot since it falls apart when you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBfRfVCOR24

I've decided to try and watch a movie a day seeing as I have a huge watch list. Over the last couple of days:

Insomnia

I've seen this before a long time ago and felt like rewatching it. I really like it, I was actually surprised to how well I remembered the movie. Great acting across the board.

Serpico 

First time watching this it felt a little long (only 2 hours 10)  but it was really good. Loved the beard and how gross New York looked.

Good Will Hunting

After first time watch. This is another kind of movie I put off for ages for no reason then end up loving it. I am so dumb sometimes.

I am also looking for suggestions for some Robin Williams movies where he's in serious / dramatic roles. I tried to watch The Final Cut yesterday but it was pretty boring so I turned it off.

I've decided to try and watch a movie a day seeing as I have a huge watch list. Over the last couple of days:

Insomnia

I've seen this before a long time ago and felt like rewatching it. I really like it, I was actually surprised to how well I remembered the movie. Great acting across the board.

Serpico

First time watching this it felt a little long (only 2 hours 10) but it was really good. Loved the beard and how gross New York looked.

Good Will Hunting

After first time watch. This is another kind of movie I put off for ages for no reason then end up loving it. I am so dumb sometimes.

I am also looking for suggestions for some Robin Williams movies where he's in serious / dramatic roles. I tried to watch The Final Cut yesterday but it was pretty boring so I turned it off.
Check out Awakenings.

Insomnia

Serpico

First time watching this it felt a little long (only 2 hours 10) but it was really good. Loved the beard and how gross New York looked.

Good Will Hunting

You want serious/dramatic roles he has just a few, I think more of his roles are comedy/drama based.

What Dreams May Come,

Dead Poets Society,

The Fisher King

August Rush

One Hour Photo

The Protector(US Cut):

Should've called the film "GIMME BACK MY ELEPHANTS!!!". But yeah I thought the movie sucked elephant's cock. Tony Jaa has no zero charisma(his baby elephant had more!). Most of the fights were excessive and extremely stupid,with my favorite being the "badass" gang of fluorescent tube wielding thugs fight(which has one the worst setups). The only fights I enjoyed were the long take in the restaurant and the capoeira fight. Not going bother with the plot since it's apparently butchered in this version,and it would still be extremely stupid(Tony's gotta save his elephants!).

Eyes Wide Shut

Just time watching, I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't really know much about it apart from sex orgy scenes.

I loved this creepy music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoZJdil0_HI

Terminator Genysis - Really liked it. Had some funny bits and a decent amount of action. I'm excited to see what they do for a sequel. 

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man:

You know your in for a great film when it's written by Don Michael Paul; writer and director of such hits as "Half Past Dead" and "Who's your Caddy?". This was actually a decent piece of cheese. It's attempts at being 'cool' were pretty funny,especially with the Matrix looking henchman(led by Daniel Baldwin). The action scenes aren't particularly good and come off pretty cartoonist in the amount of bullets fired,along with Mickey Rourke looking confused as hell during these scenes(he also awkwardly fires a shotgun one-handed). What makes it all entertaining is the film's B-movie charm,with the plot being the standard 80's "save the rec center" trope(a bar here). I did wish it had a better script,since it had the potential to be so much more.

Getting Any?

I've been wanting to watch this Kitano film for ages but its hard to come by these days. I loved it, one of my favourites he's directed. Very silly and funny.

MAMBO!!

I saw American Ultra and actually really kind of enjoyed it. it would have been better with about 10 minutes shaved off. i also thought the beginning part that foreshadowed some of the kills (and seeing them in previews) took away some of the thunder for when they actually happened. 

Killer Joe:

Pretty fucked up film. Matthew Mcconaughey,does such an excellent job in playing a chilling character. A great example on how to write stupid characters right.

Getting Any?

I only watched this for the first time last week, but was with some friends and wanted to show them. It's so stupid I love it.

MAMBO!

Zatoichi

Had a film night with people from my class and my teacher. I've seen it a few times before and I really love it. The sfx aren't great with the swords and blood but whatever. I absolutely love the way the film looks and the music fits the film so perfectly.

Also one of my favourite movie endings, so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0b7AyaQn0

Avengers: Age of Ultron

I find it funny how people eat this shit up. I have gone off these superhero / comic book movies over the last few years because of how cheesy, bland and lazy they are. This had some super cheesy lines, oddly bad sfx and overall lazily made in places. I enjoyed it somewhat I guess, these movies just aren't really for me anymore. But for some people these are literally the greatest thing ever, when I find them pretty forgettable.

Getting Any?

I only watched this for the first time last week, but was with some friends and wanted to show them. It's so stupid I love it.

MAMBO!

Zatoichi

Had a film night with people from my class and my teacher. I've seen it a few times before and I really love it. The sfx aren't great with the swords and blood but whatever. I absolutely love the way the film looks and the music fits the film so perfectly.

Also one of my favourite movie endings, so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0b7AyaQn0

Avengers: Age of Ultron

I find it funny how people eat this shit up. I have gone off these superhero / comic book movies over the last few years because of how cheesy, bland and lazy they are. This had some super cheesy lines, oddly bad sfx and overall lazily made in places. I enjoyed it somewhat I guess, these movies just aren't really for me anymore. But for some people these are literally the greatest thing ever, when I find them pretty forgettable.
Just got the Zatoichi BD,haven't got around to it yet.Am in the same camp when it comes to the comic book films.Hard for me to get excited for them when you have so many coming out,and a lot of them don't really do anything for me. At least Marvel hasn't gone the DC route with everything being "GRR DARK AND GRITTY!!!" bullshit.

Maximum Overdrive:

Somewhat entertaining "so bad it's good film". It blows it's load with the opening bridge scene;which was a perfect mix of wanton destruction and shitty acting. The whole premise of trucks trying to kill people doesn't work for 90 mins(your brain starts to ask a lot questions as it goes on),along with all the characters being absolute morons.

Dracula(1931 film):

It's a classic. I do think it loses a little bit of the horror after the boat scene,since everything before hand was just perfect. Bela Lugosi,just embodies the role; he has such presence whenever he's on the screen.

Just got the Zatoichi BD,haven't got around to it yet.Am in the same camp when it comes to the comic book films.Hard for me to get excited for them when you have so many coming out,and a lot of them don't really do anything for me. At least Marvel hasn't gone the DC route with everything being "GRR DARK AND GRITTY!!!" bullshit.

Maximum Overdrive:

Somewhat entertaining "so bad it's good film". It blows it's load with the opening bridge scene;which was a perfect mix of wanton destruction and shitty acting. The whole premise of trucks trying to kill people doesn't work for 90 mins(your brain starts to ask a lot questions as it goes on),along with all the characters being absolute morons.

Dracula(1931 film):

It's a classic. I do think it loses a little bit of the horror after the boat scene,since everything before hand was just perfect. Bela Lugosi,just embodies the role; he has such presence whenever he's on the screen.
Yeah, I guess thats just the way DC are trying to be different because a lot of the Marvel ones are extremely similar. Hope you watch and enjoy Zatoichi soon.

LnnJAHD.png

Jurassic World

Saw this in theatres because... well I wanted to see something in theatres this year and nothing else was playing that my sister would go to. Curse her irrational hate of Tom Cruise. My first instinct when I left the theatre was that no they never adequately explained why this woman was running around in high heels. Second was that if they hadn't made it such a big deal in the movie I probably wouldn't have noticed or cared about her footwear. Third was that entire scene didn't make sense. Fourth was that this movie was rather terrible compared to the first two JP films.

It made me really want to download and watch the earlier films just to make sure I'm not getting nostalgia goggles. Because I don't remember finding them so contrived and kinda outright silly. The "new Dinosaur" thing just wasn't really fun or logical. The entire premise of "People got bored of dinosaurs so we need to create new ones" just .. it's weird. Not to mention what they do create doesn't seem to be any real marked improvement. There's plenty of "The bad guy is technically right" to go around. I'm just not sure I enjoyed the movie.

mgO4syO.png

Big Game

Now this is a movie I was actually excited for, the spoiler is that I'm very very glad I paid zero dollars to see it. I liked the premise. Someone shoots down AF1 and a kid on a survival mission finds him and they have hi-jinks as they try to survive the terrorists. It sounds like an excellent action film. Unfortunately everything about this film is horrible. From the fact that the kid has to pull back a bowstring to even be allowed to go on the survival mission and fails. Like why wouldn't he have practiced this? Or why would it matter anyway? Shouldn't he have to prove his strength when he returns? Why would everyone gather to "see him off" if it's not even confirmed. When the President is ejected into an escape pod after the plane is targeted, he's locked in. Talk about the worst escape pod of all time. You're literally locked in with a keypad key that you know.. but can't reach? It's inane. Watching the kid react like the escape pod is an alien was only middlingly so amusing. 

Speaking of this kid his survival-prove-mandhood mission involves going into the forest to apparently kill a large animal but he gets an ATV and a trailer to take with him so he's carrying an insane amount of gear. It's ridiculous because I just lose all interest in his supposed growing as a man. It's like sending a 13 year old out with a machine gun and telling him to kill the biggest animal he can with just his strength. As the plot goes on nothing really interesting happens, but plenty of boring things do. it ends with a contrived amount of helicopters that don't make any sense until they stand on a rock and then it just looks silly.

Also it's not nearly as colorful as that banner implies

D8U9L6I.png

[Cap from film]

LnnJAHD.png

Jurassic World

Saw this in theatres because... well I wanted to see something in theatres this year and nothing else was playing that my sister would go to. Curse her irrational hate of Tom Cruise. My first instinct when I left the theatre was that no they never adequately explained why this woman was running around in high heels. Second was that if they hadn't made it such a big deal in the movie I probably wouldn't have noticed or cared about her footwear. Third was that entire scene didn't make sense. Fourth was that this movie was rather terrible compared to the first two JP films.

It made me really want to download and watch the earlier films just to make sure I'm not getting nostalgia goggles. Because I don't remember finding them so contrived and kinda outright silly. The "new Dinosaur" thing just wasn't really fun or logical. The entire premise of "People got bored of dinosaurs so we need to create new ones" just .. it's weird. Not to mention what they do create doesn't seem to be any real marked improvement. There's plenty of "The bad guy is technically right" to go around. I'm just not sure I enjoyed the movie.
For what it's worth the "creating a new dinosaur to boost park admission" was a smokescreen. InGen (Dr. Wu and Hoskins) were running their hybrids for military purposes on the side. Boosting park attendance was just the story they used to sell it to Masrani/Jurassic World. It's part of the reason the made such an emphasis on InGen and Masrani Global/Jurassic World being separate divisions of Masrani's companies.

This subplot is most apparent when they're evacuating Wu's secret lab and the kid points to the computer screen showing the indominus telling him it's not a real dinosaur. That's when Hoskins talks about imagining how deadly a smaller size of the indominus could be.

Also, while I absolutely agree Jurassic Park is a better movie, I think your nostalgia is overriding what The Lost World actually was (and how logically dumb that movie was at certain points). It certainly had some exciting sequences like the 2 Rexes attacking the RV but it's also the movie that brought us the gymnastics-raptor scene... Which is still one of the dumbest action sequences of the entire series. Not just the gymnastics part but that entire sequence is pretty dumb. There was a video floating around online of that sequence put to the Benny Hill music and it really highlights how dumb and slapstick it was. Also, the book's version of that sequence is so much better (and involves different dinosaurs).

Hell in the Pacific

Cool movie, although the ending was a let down.

Mifune is the boss in every thing he does.
I had that film on my radar just for the casting Lee Marvin and Mifune.

The Conqueror:

John Wayne plays Genghis Khan. He plays the character as a gunfighter; mixed in with the purple prose,and you end up getting a pretty funny comedy. Other than him the film is a piece of shit. Most of the scenes are just filler and mostly boring. Even the battle scenes are boring(the amount of extras used are impressive though). It's a film that no one wanted to make other than,John Wayne.

Outrage & Beyond Outrage

I rewatched both of these, the first is the best film. But they are both enjoyable. I hope Kitano makes a third movie eventually.

Everest

Never saw the trailer, no idea what it was about (obviously I figured it would be about some people climbing and something goes wrong). Only knew Josh Brolin and  Jake Gyllenhaal were in the cast. 

I thought it was pretty good, very impressive cast. Not really a spoiler but I found it funny how
the "normal" people trying the summit are pushed to their limits, while the local people from Nepal and the expedition leaders are like super human going up and down, can still breathe fine as they get higher etc

I think its definitely worth seeing at the cinema. 

Attack on Titan

Preface: I have never read the manga and only seen a few episodes of the anime. I pretty much only watched it because I saw a making of and the use of tokusatsu is pretty cool.

This movie was pretty dumb, I feel like if I actually watched the anime it'll be even worse. Lame overacting, out of place music, pretty bad effects (although the tokusatsu was cool) and the ending was so stupid. 

I had that film on my radar just for the casting Lee Marvin and Mifune.

The Conqueror:

John Wayne plays Genghis Khan. He plays the character as a gunfighter; mixed in with the purple prose,and you end up getting a pretty funny comedy. Other than him the film is a piece of shit. Most of the scenes are just filler and mostly boring. Even the battle scenes are boring(the amount of extras used are impressive though). It's a film that no one wanted to make other than,John Wayne.
Found out about this film from the Cinema Snob. Very WTFHollywood once you know the story. John Wayne speaking broken english, radiation poisoning killing crew members, and Howard Hughes bank rolling the entire thing. I had to watch that shit show after learning that.

Watched Ex Machina this weekend.

Wasn't what I expected, at all. I thought it'd be more cyberpunk, a la Ghost in the Shell. Did enjoy it though. Not sure it's a movie I would watch a second time either. At least a 4.5/5 for me.

Found out about this film from the Cinema Snob. Very WTFHollywood once you know the story. John Wayne speaking broken english, radiation poisoning killing crew members, and Howard Hughes bank rolling the entire thing. I had to watch that shit show after learning that.
Yeah,that the stories about it's production are more interesting than the film itself.

Westworld:

Michael Crichton,was so ahead of his time with this film. It is Jurassic Park meets the Terminator.Other than a few aspects it has aged extremely well. Yul Brynner as the Gunslinger is so damn chilling,and such an obvious inspiration for the Terminator;especially with this shot.

tumblr_m0uog8IQ6y1qedb29o1_500.gif

Really looking forward to the upcoming HBO series now.

Yeah,that the stories about it's production are more interesting than the film itself.

Westworld:

Michael Crichton,was so ahead of his time with this film. It is Jurassic Park meets the Terminator.Other than a few aspects it has aged extremely well. Yul Brynner as the Gunslinger is so damn chilling,and such an obvious inspiration for the Terminator;especially with this shot.

tumblr_m0uog8IQ6y1qedb29o1_500.gif

Really looking forward to the upcoming HBO series now.
I heard that HBO series will make Game of Thrones seem normal according to the waiver actors have to sign. Cue Russel Crowe meme.

Stone Cold:

One of the best B-movie action flicks I've seen.The film has more explosions than a Michael Bay film,but the difference here is it's actually entertaining and knows when to restraint itself(unlike Bay's films).Stars Brian Bosworth,who has the most amazing mullet to ever grace the screen. Then you got the scene-chewing forces of Lance Henriksen,and William Forsythe as your villains. Has one of the most OTT,and badass finales to an action film(it rivals Commando). Hell this stunt tops anything from Commando.
uaqVHkY.gif

Cabin in the Woods. Ooh, I got to see a Power Ranger's boobs. But aw... she got killed 'cause she was the blonde bimbo. Cool movie. Didn't shed a tear for Thor, but the other guy? Yup.

Man of Steel:

Best scene by far was the "I WILL FIND HIM!!!" scene,which had me in stitches. Other than that it's pretty damn boring. Everyone's performances,but Michael Shannon's sucked.He's the only to realize how bad the script is,and gives a wonderful hammy performance. The script is just a of bunch cringe-worthy dialogue,a lot of "tell,don't show" moments,and the constant beating me over the head on how amazing Clark will be.Also a lot of lazy writing,like with Zod needing Lois on his ship for some reason not explanied.Or why the military deciding to bring Lois along,other than them needing a scene for Superman to save her. The video game fights were boring as hell,though I did get a laugh during the fight with the world drive,which apparently doubles as a Japanese tentacle rape machine.Also how they kept cutting back to Perry and friends between the action,as if your supposed to give a shit about them.

All this shit ending in one of the most headache-inducing fights put to screen. Also what the hell is up with all the shaky handheld-camera work? And gotta love the very 'subtle' symbolism,like in this wonderful shot
1409893446751.png

A true visionary you are Zack
rolleyes.gif

bread's done
Back