Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Return of the Jedi

on Blu Ray. First time i've seen it since a kid so it was good fun. Definitely the weakness of the trilogy, and not a fan of the changes but I enjoyed it.

Last movie I saw in theaters was MIB3 and I actually didnt mind it. Definitely not as good as the first, but I got a few laughs at least. Don't remember the last DVD I watched that I was expecting to suck (last DVD I watched was Taken but I knew that was awesome)

As for Ted, my girlfriend went to see it last night and she said she enjoyed it. Then again she loves Family Guy so I'm not surprised.

watched chronicle on amazon for 99 cents. i dunno it was ok but that whole style of doing a film is a bit played out imo. also allows them to not have to put together a solid or cohesive story. would have been better it it were done like a real movie.

also wtf you have super powers and you dont think to rob a bank for money? lol.

Abraham lincoln : vampire hunter. Or slayer w/e. Took m old lady. Theatre was pretty much empty. To out surprise great flick! All 8 of us in the theatre clapped at the end ha!

154acdw.jpg

saw Haywire. In terms of chicks doing violence: The movie. it's a decent entry. Prefer Hanna or Colombiana but it wasn't a bad film. I thought it was just because I was tired but it really was kinda hard to follow the first 4 times I tried to watch it. It has a lot of very similar looking white guys that I had a hard time separating. Lot of inferred relationships which normally isn't a problem but when everyone looks alike and they don't act with clear intentions it make for a very confusing plot. I guess my "it kinda sucks" projector wasn't the best means to watch a film this dark (in the literal sense). The story telling seemed odd as well. The idea of telling a story in flashback is obviously nothing new but here it just sorta felt flat. It was no Inside Man (Clive Owen/Spike Lee)

ou07rc.jpg

Also saw Bugsy Malone after reading about it in a book I finally checked it out. Over all it was a pretty decent film. Oddly enough for a film that you would classify as Gangster/Children/Musical I felt it had maybe one too many songs. Literally one too many.

[quote name='lokizz']watched chronicle on amazon for 99 cents. i dunno it was ok but that whole style of doing a film is a bit played out imo. also allows them to not have to put together a solid or cohesive story. would have been better it it were done like a real movie.[/QUOTE]
Did you see Project X? because it's fundamentally the same sort of movie. "Found Footage" type, teenage characters. I think the story however was much more cohesive I was surprised when I looked up the reviews to find them so negative when compared to Chronicle

Chronicle
r8f2v6.png

The story was good but not cohesive. The acting was pretty great. But the direction was all kinds of haphazard.
Project X
2007ngo.png

Definitely mined the depths of teen movies, was arguably predictable. But I didn't find it particularly mean-spirited. Possibly misogynistic but no more so than most other teen movies.

Gotta see if I can catch up with Contraband since I got nothing else to do at home but grind my way thru Assassin's Creed.. man that game is flawed.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
154acdw.jpg

saw Haywire. In terms of chicks doing violence: The movie. it's a decent entry. Prefer Hanna or Colombiana but it wasn't a bad film. I thought it was just because I was tired but it really was kinda hard to follow the first 4 times I tried to watch it. It has a lot of very similar looking white guys that I had a hard time separating. Lot of inferred relationships which normally isn't a problem but when everyone looks alike and they don't act with clear intentions it make for a very confusing plot. I guess my "it kinda sucks" projector wasn't the best means to watch a film this dark (in the literal sense). The story telling seemed odd as well. The idea of telling a story in flashback is obviously nothing new but here it just sorta felt flat. It was no Inside Man (Clive Owen/Spike Lee)

ou07rc.jpg

Also saw Bugsy Malone after reading about it in a book I finally checked it out. Over all it was a pretty decent film. Oddly enough for a film that you would classify as Gangster/Children/Musical I felt it had maybe one too many songs. Literally one too many.

Did you see Project X? because it's fundamentally the same sort of movie. "Found Footage" type, teenage characters. I think the story however was much more cohesive I was surprised when I looked up the reviews to find them so negative when compared to Chronicle

Chronicle
r8f2v6.png

The story was good but not cohesive. The acting was pretty great. But the direction was all kinds of haphazard.
Project X
2007ngo.png

Definitely mined the depths of teen movies, was arguably predictable. But I didn't find it particularly mean-spirited. Possibly misogynistic but no more so than most other teen movies.

Gotta see if I can catch up with Contraband since I got nothing else to do at home but grind my way thru Assassin's Creed.. man that game is flawed.[/QUOTE]

im gonna check out project x then always looking for something to watch and haywire does look kinda shit but damn if the main chick isnt a hot piece of ass. nothing says sexy like a think fighter chick kicking ass in a skirt.

oh yeah i watched sector 7 yesterday as well on netflix lol fucking horrible but the story behind the movie is pretty interesting. from what i read the film is supposed to be the first 3d movie made in korea completly with korean tech by koreans and was a big deal for them nationally and they did the cgi all in korea as well.

add to that the main heroine is a big start across asian and they had alot of other name brand directors and actors involved but the movie is so damn bad. the cgi is some of the worst shit ive seen ever its bad not to mention the story is boring and i swear they stole one of the monster types from the abyss.

all that aside the film has done really well in china mainly due to all the star power connected to it. not sure if any of you are into korean tv or dramas but the main chick was a lead in the secret garden.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
154acdw.jpg

ou07rc.jpg

Chronicle
r8f2v6.png

Project X
2007ngo.png

Gotta see if I can catch up with Contraband since I got nothing else to do at home but grind my way thru Assassin's Creed.. man that game is flawed.[/QUOTE]

The descriptions of the movies on those RT pics pretty much sums them up.

While I wouldn't say Project X was unfunny (it had its moments), it was definitely unoriginal.

[quote name='Javery']Captain America: The First Avenger

I loved this shit.[/QUOTE]

i liked it ok until the ending. really loved the propaganda bits.

[quote name='Javery']Captain America: The First Avenger

I loved this shit.[/QUOTE]

It's easily the best out of the Marvel Studios movies (not counting the Avengers) IMO.

I loved Cap a bit more than Thor and Iron Man, just a bit. But, yeah, Cap is the best outside of Avengers. I'd like to see the Red Skull return in some form.

Just saw To Rome With Love. Loved it. Then again I'm obsessed with Woody Allen. So no surprise there. Laughed more than anybody in the theater. I'm insane.

[quote name='Dar_k']Abraham lincoln : vampire hunter. Or slayer w/e. Took m old lady. Theatre was pretty much empty. To out surprise great flick! All 8 of us in the theatre clapped at the end ha![/QUOTE]

I always find it amusing when people clap in the theaters. I guess it's better than telling the usher after the film how good it was.

It's hilarious that people didn't love Captain America because he wasn't a more brutal Inglorius Basterd. Why in the hell would a man that represents Truth, Justice, and the American Way, waste all his time brutally killing people?

Good movie, infinitely many times better than the one in the early 90s. Dear god, rubber ears?!

Saw Citizen Kane recently, the patchwork of jigsaw puzzles did work, and laughed at how many things the Simpsons ripped from it.

Contraband
29zbofk.jpg

Not his best work but as it turns out I really enjoy a heist or any type. Plus I like watching Mark Wahlberg be surprisingly excellent at his job. (See also: Date Night, Shooter, Invincible) Always makes me question why I didn't like Max Payne more.

[quote name='lokizz']im gonna check out project x then always looking for something to watch and haywire does look kinda shit but damn if the main chick isnt a hot piece of ass. nothing says sexy like a think fighter chick kicking ass in a skirt.[/QUOTE]
She was beastly but I didn't think she was extremely hot. She was attractive and all but I was more impressed with her grappling fighting than with her looks.

[quote name='whoknows']The descriptions of the movies on those RT pics pretty much sums them up.

While I wouldn't say Project X was unfunny (it had its moments), it was definitely unoriginal.[/QUOTE]I've read a lot of people critical of the movie "as a comedy" (i.e. "For a comedy it wasn't very funny) to which I'm a bit mystified. It was sort of a comedy but the comedic aspect wasn't the point of the movie. It was more like watching an explosion. Unoriginal.. perhaps but not reductively so. I think of it sort of like an homage, almost like Ferris Beuller's Day Off if the focus of the story had been the Day Off instead of Ferris.

My wife thought Captain America was a little campy but I thought it was awesome. It's right in my wheelhouse though (superhero/sci-fi) and it was above average in story and the special effects were pretty amazing so I probably overrate stuff like that a bit. I could see how other people might not like it as much - but they are wrong hahaha!

One minor gripe, if the metal in his shield absorbed vibrations so bullets and stuff are deadened on impact then how the crap was it ricocheting off of tanks and hallways?

Just watched A Thousand Words and it was a good drama I thought. Not really all comedy as I expected. Also watched 21 Jump Street, haven't laughed like that in awhile and the attention to detail and odes to the original were great!

everyone mUST see

RISE OF THE ANIMALS best movie of all time...

got to love those sock deer puppets LOL

it had to cost like 500 bucks to make this show

Adventureland - Okay but unexpected. I don't really know why I started watching it. The curse of Netflix I suppose. The chick from the vampire movies sometimes reminded me of one of my exes so that sort of drew me in more than usual. I think I expected it to be funnier. I've seen much worse movies but if I could go back, I'd probably spend my time with something else.

John Carter, I thought it would be terrible as the trolls have whined about it. I thought it was a pretty darn exciting movie. Taylor Kitsch worked, but at times I thought I was watching Matthew Bomer play the role. I was expecting somebody like... ah Channing Tatum or Chris Evans when I pictured Carter, but hey Kitsch did a pretty good job, though he ended up sounding like Clint Eastwood sometimes.

Dejah Thoris was probably hard to cast, but Lynn Collins was great. So crushing on her. :)

The episodic nature of the book did sort of hurt the story, making me feel that it was quite rushed, even if it did reach a satisfactory ending. It would be cool to see a John Carter of Mars tv show, but because it tanked, it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

So what if there's no nudity? The romanticism of the adventure was good enough for me.

Even on the Red Planet, McNulty is still an asshole.

Pretty cool they hired Daryl Sabara to play Edgar Rice Burroughs. Maybe Robert Rodriguez can make a movie called Machete of Mars!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']John Carter, I thought it would be terrible as the trolls have whined about it. I thought it was a pretty darn exciting movie.
[...]
The episodic nature of the book did sort of hurt the story, making me feel that it was quite rushed, even if it did reach a satisfactory ending. It would be cool to see a John Carter of Mars tv show, but because it tanked, it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

So what if there's no nudity? The romanticism of the adventure was good enough for me.

Even on the Red Planet, McNulty is still an asshole.[/QUOTE]As someone who had no idea it was based on a serious book until I started dicking around Project Gutenberg last month (When they said "based on a book" i pictured some cheap YA Fiction like Hunger Games) I also enjoyed the film and am frankly a bit surprised at the criticism. That said the ending and the other timelines did feel a bit off and I suppose that might be explained by this "episodic nature" of the source material as you suggest.

21 Jump Street - It was funny, I enjoyed it.

The Devil's Double - Somewhat interesting, the lead guy did a good job at portraying the psychotic son. The little bit of gore was over the top and unexpected though.

Young Adult - The most miserable, boring piece of shit movie I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I'd rather start a new family tradition of watching The Road first thing every Christmas morning than ever having to watch this movie again.

@Wolfkin Yeah, if Disney bothered to split the movie in two or made it longer, the pacing could've been better. It did take a while for him to learn the Martian language, but I guess they really want to cram in and make better the significance of Carter's rebirths. Just seeing Carter become Dotar Sojat was enough for one movie, and then bringing in McNulty could've been the start of another one. I guess without McNulty they couldn't introduce Dejah quick enough.

Prometheus - Must see.
Lived up to the trailers; only saw clips of the Alien movies (only watched the AvP ones) but was engrossed from start to end in Prometheus. Really, really liked the ship's design (Prometheus). I do have some questions though.
They said the "makers" died 2000 years ago, so were these bio-bombs made because of Jesus' crucifixion? Is Riddly Scott a Creationist? Also, are the "makers" the Predators (head/spinal rip of cyborg)

Finally saw There Must Be Blood. I liked the second lead (the twins) better than the main lead (Day-Lewis). Both really good performances. I also saw My Beautiful Launderette a few months ago. Been on a Day-Lewis kick, I guess.

Oh, now I get the milkshake thing.

[quote name='dothog']Finally saw There Must Be Blood. I liked the second lead (the twins) better than the main lead (Day-Lewis). Both really good performances. I also saw My Beautiful Launderette a few months ago. Been on a Day-Lewis kick, I guess.

Oh, now I get the milkshake thing.[/QUOTE]

You know the twins are the same guy right?

I didn't enjoy There Will Be Blood; it just seemed to drag on for me.

For some reason, I put that movie and No Country For Old Men together in my head (I think because they're both set in Texas and came out around the same time). I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men and so There Will Be Blood just disappointed.

Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome as always, though.

Amazing Spider-Man - 3/5- It was ok, but that's about it. Been there, done that and the stuff we've seen before seemed to drag on forever. I don't really buy Garfield as Parker/Spidey yet, but Ifans knocked it out of the park as Connors.

[quote name='Backlash']I didn't enjoy There Will Be Blood; it just seemed to drag on for me.

For some reason, I put that movie and No Country For Old Men together in my head (I think because they're both set in Texas and came out around the same time). I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men and so There Will Be Blood just disappointed.

Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome as always, though.[/QUOTE]
NCFOLM had to delay filming because TWBB's oil smoke explosion scene.

[quote name='Backlash']I didn't enjoy There Will Be Blood; it just seemed to drag on for me.

Of the two I'd definitely pick No Country, I don't even think Blood is close. No Country feels a lot more self-assured. Blood definitely had big energy on the strength of those performances, but that energy was wasted in winding its way around the story.

I agree that the pacing might've been off, I had that "waiting around" feeling as I watched it. However, in the moment I was really wrapped up in those two performances. It was definitely a good (quality) movie in that it engaged me: I wasn't just sitting through it, looking for cheap laughs, like I would at a summer blockbuster.

[quote name='DestroVega']I thought Limitless was pretty good except the ending which didn't even attempt to explain itself.[/QUOTE]

Really? Made sense to me...

RE: Haywire
Maybe it's just the settings on my stereo, but Gina's ADR sounded completely disembodied and not even a part of the film. Literally, the first thing out of her mouth in the coffee shop took me right out of the movie. Watching some of the special features made me think it was a mixing issue since her voice sounded pretty normal outside of the movie.
Great fights, especially the end of the street chase. Some of the things she did were just out of this world. The beach fight was a bit of a letdown, despite that amazing body all put together in the catsuit.

The Last House On The Left 2000's Edition:
Couldn't stand it after about 15 minutes. Too pervy with the girl being far too young looking. Not cool.

Bored To Death (HBO Series):
Apt title. Despite being a big fan of Jason Schwartzman in Huckabees and all the Wes Anderson movies as well as most of Zach Galifinakis's stuff, this show just drags and sort of annoys me.

Seems like people like one and hate the other when it comes to those two movies.

I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet, it's on my to do list, but I thought NCFOM was a terrible movie.

[quote name='nasum']
Bored To Death (HBO Series):
Apt title. Despite being a big fan of Jason Schwartzman in Huckabees and all the Wes Anderson movies as well as most of Zach Galifinakis's stuff, this show just drags and sort of annoys me.[/QUOTE]

I think Bored to Death, at least the first 2 seasons, is a grower. Stick with it.

At first it was too jewy new yorky and dainty for me, but the part of me that's a big fan of hard-boiled fiction gave it a chance and stuck with it from the start. By the middle of the first season I'd recognized how much ass Ted Danson was kicking, and I stuck with the show until the bitter end.

And that end is bitter. It's really odd how all of a sudden, once the third season hit, a show that was so true to its characters just decided to ignore the things that made the characters who they are. The first 2 seasons are still fun, though. Give 'em a chance.

There Will Be Blood was exactly like Magnolia. People loved it or hated it. Nobody was really in the middle. I'd watch anything Daniel Day Lewis is in though. Guy is one of the best actors ever. He pretty much kept Gangs Of New York's head above water. Without him I think that movie would have been shitty as hell. Bill The Butcher is one of the film villains ever.

So. I saw Magic Mike last night. I'm not going to lie. It was enjoyable. Me and my friends(women) I went with only could find seats in the front. My biggest fear was gigantic penises flying at me. And you know what? There's not even a single penis in the movie. Guess what bewbs are shown on screen more than any actual penis. You see one, but it's blurred out while a guy is using a penis pump.

But other than that. It was quite enjoyable. It was more like a basic movie with stripping lightly sprinkled throughout. It wasn't bad at all. And holy shit I could not stop laughing at this one scene:
there's a scene where the one guy is passed out on the floor in his own vomit from taking too much ecstasy the night before and his druggie gf's pet PIGLETTE. YES PIGLETTE. SUPER CUTE. is trying to grab a milk bottle and running around in a circle. I could not stop laughing my fucking asshole off at this scene. It's a serious one too. I have to say. That fucking pig made the movie. LOL.

Not even really a spoiler but still. Anywhoozle. The movie ended on such a dark and depressing note I was so taken off gaurd. Haha. Anyways. Magic Mike was enjoyable.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ wife told me Olivia Munn goes topless in the movie... How did I never hear about that until now?[/QUOTE]

Yup right at the beginning too. This movie was made to deceive women. Haha.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Yup right at the beginning too. This movie was made to deceive women. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Wife still thought it was great. Maybe I'll watch it on cable or something when it hits.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ wife told me Olivia Munn goes topless in the movie... How did I never hear about that until now?[/QUOTE]

saw some grainy still of that wasnt too impressed guess ill need to rent the br when it comes out lol. still remember her in that pie dive outfit.

bread's done
Back