Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='norkusa']Yeah, I know all about the official story. My point is you can't go into stores and buy magazines & vids of 17 yo girls flashing their tits. Why? Because it's highly illegal and the people selling them would get MAJOR fines and jail time if they did. That's why it makes absolutely no sense that major stores like EG/GS & Blockbuster are still selling this game if that story was really true.

The only official statement that I've ever seen about the case was made by Top Heavy Studios and was posted on Gamespot. That combined with the fact that the 17 yo was *still* included on the DVD re-release is why I call bullshit on this story.[/quote]

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A260258

The Austin Chronicle is a reputable source.

"According to court filings, [the jailbailt] was waiting in line to enter Tequila Frog's bar on March 11, 2003, when she saw the nearby stage. Armed with a fake California ID she'd bought in Dallas and a "newly enhanced buxom" (as misnamed in court papers, presumably for "bosom") given to her by her parents as a Christmas present the year before..."

I weep for America.

LOL dfg

I can just imagine that conversation.

Mom + dad: honey, what do you want for christmas this year? a new car? a new (insert other possible want here)........?

underage liarpants: no, i want a boob job and a fake id.....

mom + dad: ok dear, whatever you want, you know we can't say NO to you...

Scored at another pawn today:

Final Fantasy VII (x3, 1 GH, 2 Black Labels, all complete)
Dot Hack Part 4 Quarantine CIB w/DVD
Koudelka PS1 CIB

Total: $84.80

[quote name='tangytangerine']I've gotten a few deals from pawn shops.

Skies of Arcadia Legends- $9.99
Tales of Symphonia- $4.99
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee- $4.99

Sure beats the prices Gamestop has for those games.[/quote]

Well, I can pretty much avoid all pawn shops in my area now including this one I mentioned now. Seems they think they can make big money on last gen games now. Here's some of their jacked up prices now:

Rainbow Six 3(Xbox)- $14.99
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate(Xbox)- $24.99

Needless to say, I'm avoiding that place now too.

today at a pawn shop I found:

Zelda Collector's Edition-$8
Waverace 64-$5
Mario 64-$5
Starfox 64-$5
Diddy Kong Racing-$5

They also have Mario Kart and Smash Bros for $5 each, but SSB is very dirty, and MK I already have.

Managed to find a copy of Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance for PS2 at a local pawn shop. Disc w/ cover and case, but no manual.
$10

Not a pawn shop, but at Goodwill today I found a boxed copy, with tech-tree poster, manual, complete case of Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire for 5.99. Steal!

Picked up a copy of Smash Bros. Melee for $10.00 at my Pawn Shop. They might have had more stuff, but I didn't have much time to look around.

The good thing is that everything is at a fixed price.

[quote name='yukine']The good thing is that everything is at a fixed price.[/quote]Those tend to be the best. Thankfully, all of the pawn shops in my area are like that.

Granted, it means I have to sort through 200 copies of Madden 2004 before I find Fatal Frame, but hey, the Maddens are the shop's problem, not mine.

bastards at my local pawn shop charge a flat rate of $15 bucks for a single xbox game (nothing good except san andreas ph and breakdown )

Got today at a pawn shop for $12 total plus tax

1) Twisted Metal 2 Black Label Complete (Sold for $8 afterwards to a friend)
2) Super Mario All Stars Cart only SNES
3) Mega Man X2 Cart only SNES

And at a Salvation Army
1) Goemon's Adventure Cart Only N64 - $2

I have had a few good deals at pawn shops also

$15
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Mobile Suit Gundam: Perfect One Year War (Yes, an import game at a pawn shop!)
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VIII (Bought it 2 weeks after it was first released!)
Darkstalkers 3
Ogre Battle (PSX)
Tactics Ogre (PSX)

$3
Intelligent Qube
Actraiser (Factory Sealed!)

$20 for a complete Sega Genesis (Model 2) with a Sega CD, two controllers and Sonic CD

Breath of Fire (SNES) $5
Breath of Fire 2 (SNES) $2

Thats all I can remember for now.

My local pawn shops also use Egay and EB to determine price. Funny how they still want to sell games like Madden 2001 for $5 and Madden 2004 for $10. The other day, I saw a Marvel VS Capcom 2 for the PS2 (some poor soul must have sold this game for $5 top). They were going to sell it to me for $10 until the manager told the old guy to go on EB to check for prices. He saw the price "79.99" on EB and 60+ eBay, so he started this whole shit about this game is rare and stuff. Haha, just a moment ago, he hadn't even heard about this game and was going to settle it for $10. I left later because there is no way I'm going to pay 60+ for a used game in a pawn shop. They seriously should change their store name to EB or Egay.

Ouch! I think if it were me, I would have slapped a Hamilton on the counter and ran out the door before they had time to check.

i found 3 wavebird controllers without receivers for $8 bucks each, kotor for $5, halo 2 ce not much of a bargain but was complete in good condition for $24, and 2 doom 3 ce for $15. also spotted gta san andreas for the xbox for $5 bucks, and metroid prime echoes for $8

My haul for today:

Gears of War CE (missing art book)-$13
Need for Speed Carbon CE 360 (missing bonus disc)-$10
Metal Gear Sold (black label, no manual)-$5
Gavarians (no manual)-$5
Nightmare Creatures 2-$2 (anyone wanna trade this for a DC version?)
Smackdown vs Raw 2007 360-$8

I also came across the case for Samba De Amigo for $2 and I got so happy. But then after looking for 5 mins they told me they couldn't find it :bomb: I should probably go back next weekend & get a different person to look.

Managed to snag a complete copy of Ico for $8. Case looks like crap, but that's easily replaced. Everything else is in very good shape.

I checked out the local Goodwill on my lunch break, found the following SNES games:

Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose
Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool
Aero the Acrobat (w/ manual)

$2.69 apiece. I also got a spare charger for my cell phone new in box for $3.50, and a massive rotating CD tower for my complete PS1 games for only $3.59 - it even has slots for double-size jewel cases, so my RPGs are all in there, too! =D

And at GameCrazy, I found:

SNES:
King Arthur's World
Wings 2: ces High
Power Rangers Zeo Battle Racers
X-Kaliber 2097

PSX:
Chocobo's Dungeron 2
The X-Files

DC:
Sonic Adventure 2
Evolution

Disc-only where applicable, but all 2 for $5. I've never seen any of those SNES games before.

Decent finds?

ive found these a few months ago:

Marvel vs. Capcom DC - $5
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 dc - $2.50
Resident Evil 4 - $8
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 (disc only) $5
.Hack Infection - $8
Nintendo DS Onyx (no charger, no stylus, good condition though) $80

i actually passed on Smash brothers melee disc only for $5. it was in the RE4 case. i actually wished that i payed more attention to these pawnshops 6 or 7 years ago, i could have gotten alot of great shit cheap.

I got a pretty good haul today:

Xenosaga III: $17
Trauma Center DS: $17
FFIII: $21

I also got FF Chocobo Tales at CC for $17.

I found a pawn shop I hadn't seen before so I'm going to check it out when I get a chance. Probably has crap but you never know.

My pawn shop week has been decent

7/30
Cart Only Secret of Mana - $6
Complete Project Gotham Racing 3 - $5
Complete Marvel vs Capcom 2 (XBX) - $5

8/1
Complete Zelda Twilight Princess Wii - $25

The pawn shop near me is so annoying. The guy working there is a dick, and no matter how polite I act, he still acts like a dick. They had all their games overpriced, but they had some "clearanced" to $3.87 (weird price...). Problem was, they were just the real crappy ones. He had some decent ones, and I asked if those were clearance too. He says,
"No, just those other ones."
"Oh...OK..."
"I need to get around to checking if any of these are more than a year old before I put any on sale."
Most of them were xbox and ps2 games from 2003-2005 :roll:

[quote name='vicious7171']The pawn shop near me is so annoying. The guy working there is a dick, and no matter how polite I act, he still acts like a dick. They had all their games overpriced, but they had some "clearanced" to $3.87 (weird price...). Problem was, they were just the real crappy ones. He had some decent ones, and I asked if those were clearance too. He says,
"No, just those other ones."
"Oh...OK..."
"I need to get around to checking if any of these are more than a year old before I put any on sale."
Most of them were xbox and ps2 games from 2003-2005 :roll:[/QUOTE]

Actually, in "pawn shop speak", a year old means that it's been in the store for more than a year, not how long the game has been released.

For instance, the stores near me clearanced some "year old" games for 2.00 each a while back, yet they had copies of the exact same games still on the shelf, they just weren't a year old yet.

Went to several shops today and had a few finds:

Fatal Frame (complete) - Xbox
$7

Parasite Eve, GH version (complete) - PS1
Legend of Legaia, black label (complete) - PS1
Final Fantasy Tactics, GH version (complete) - PS1
$21 for all three

[quote name='Cmosfm']Actually, in "pawn shop speak", a year old means that it's been in the store for more than a year, not how long the game has been released.

For instance, the stores near me clearanced some "year old" games for 2.00 each a while back, yet they had copies of the exact same games still on the shelf, they just weren't a year old yet.[/quote]

Ohh, I see now. At first I was confused about that, I suppose that's the best way for them to do it, I just wish they had flat video game prices. Thanks.

Went to a pawn shop I never been to earlier today and picked up

Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner (near mint and complete) $5
DDR Konamix (near mint and complete) $3

Seen Pikmin 2 for $15 but I passed, just a little too rich for my blood. They also had Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life Player's Choice version for $25 :roll:

Went today and found a copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee for $9.95. Had to get it resurfaced at Game Crazy since it had some surface scratches and it didn't have a instruction booklet.

Absolutely hate the series, but bought to trade for something I'll enjoy.

The majority of the pawnshops in my area remind me of the pawnshop from Pulp Fiction. No matter which one it is, theres ALWAYS a big dude and a skinny looking crackhead behind the counter. I don't stay too long in any shop and if I would be miked, you can hear me saying, " Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead"

I guess the best thing I've ever found was a R-Types Delta for PSX way back when but, not too much more than that.

today was a bust for me. I went to 5 pawn shops and all I found were the FF8 bonus disc for PE, Blue Stinger (complete), and Golden Axe 2 (complete) cost $11 for all

I used to work for a video game store and we had some horrible trade in values. They were so bad sometimes, I would refer customers to a PS who buy games for 5 bucks. So they would get some cash and not some crappy store credit.

Drove up and down I-19 in Port Richey, FL today on my last day of vacation. Had some nice finds...

First shop had a flat $10 on all games (mostly PS2 and X-Box) with nothing decent to speak of...until I asked for DS games, and he pulled a complete, shiny copy of Pokemon Diamond out from behind the counter for $15. I ended up coming back later and picking it up on my way home; even if I change my mind, I can get $25 for it at GS with the promo/Edge.

Next we passed a shop that had a bunch of NES games that were a flat $5 each; the owner wasn't in so I couldn't haggle. They also had Spawn for PSX, complete, $7. Although they had some nice ones like Metroid and Rescue Rangers, at $5 a pop they wouldn't be worth getting to flip since I had most of them, and $5 is more than I'd spend on anything for the NES. They did have Golden Sun for GBA for $5...I passed, not knowing much about it. Is it worth picking up?

The next shop had a friggin' treasure trove of N64, SNES, and NES titles, as well as PSX stuff...complete Fear Effect and a ton of other games...all stickered at DOUBLE TO TRIPLE EBAY PRICES. $35 for Donkey Kong 64...I picked up multiples for $0.75 a pop during the GS 75% off liquidation. $20 for Mario All-Stars, $25 for Donkey Kong Country. Somehow though, I got Pokemon Ruby and Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (complete) for $9.95 each, and the guide for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for $2. The owner claimed he was actually getting those prices for his old stuff. o_O

Another hock shop had some NES's for $100 apiece, SNESes for $80, and no games for them. They had Chocobo Races complete for the PSX, only $6, but the disk look like it had a surface scratch so I passed on that, along with a disc-only copy of Clock Tower in similar condition. They had Wing Commander for the PSX in the long box for $8, it was missing the manual so I passed. My girlfriend found Disney's Robin Hood there sealed for only $10.

The big haul came in the form of DVDs, though. For $30 total, I picked up:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Special Extended Edition)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended Edition)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Special Extended Edition)
Scary Movie 4 Unrated
The Venture Bros. Season 1
The Shawshank Redemption (2-disc 10th Anniversary Edition)
Ali G in da House (the movie)
Saw II
Daredevil: Director's Cut
Dawn of the Dead (Unrated Director's Cut...but full screen, bleh)

Everything's in great shape, and not a bad haul considering that the LotR 4-disc editions cost about 30 apiece at retail.

And to top it off, the Pokemon Ruby game has all the legendaries obtainable in-game and Diamond is saved right before the battle with Dialgia. =D

No, no...by surface scratch, I mean on the top of the disk...meaning the actual data gets shredded off. A scratch on the underside can cause a hiccup in the reading, but if the data is missing, resurfacing can't help it.

I only visit one pawn shop often, but I still manage to do okay with getting good games.
My neighbor owns the store next to the pawn shop, and from years of going in there I've become friends with the owner and staff, so occasionally an employee will tell me that they just received a lot of games and give me a good deal on them.
Yesterday I saw 1080, one of my favorite games of all time, and I was going to buy it regardless of price. I guessed it would be around $8-$12, but when I picked it up my heart almost skipped a beat. $1.00 canadian. It may not seem like that good of a deal to you guys, but a few years back I sold my n64 and all it's games for $10 each, and I've finally started buying some n64 games again. Also, N64 was the first console I've ever owned, and 1080 was the first game I got for it, so this game brings back some memories.

Found something nice today!

img1662fw3.jpg

img1664cw3.jpg

This is the first copy of Earthbound that I've ever found out in the wild. Makes up for the fact that Gamestop didn't have Jeanne D'arc in yet :bomb:

[quote name='cranguy']Found something nice today!

This is the first copy of Earthbound that I've ever found out in the wild. Makes up for the fact that Gamestop didn't have Jeanne D'arc in yet :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Jealousy doesn't begin to describe what I feel. I've never even seen this game before. Why won't it just come out for the Virtual Console already?

bread's done
Back