Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

They know me at the local Goodwill now.

Ecco the Dolphin (Dreamcast, complete, mint aside from the jewel case) $4
Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast, in a replacement jewel case with back insert, disc is mint) $3

got these tonight, all complete and mint too!

chrono cross - $4.99
final fantasy ix - $4.99
jade cocoon - $4.99
oddworld abe's exoddus - $4.99

[quote name='SilverGriever']How some no one brings any good games like these into the pawn shop I work at??[/quote]

pawnshops are actually the last thing people would want to sell their games at. its almost close to donating for getting a buck for your games.

you should create a banner that says WE BUY YOUR GAMES (for a buck each).

[quote name='phear3d']you should create a banner that says WE BUY YOUR GAMES (for a buck each).[/quote]I think Gamestop has that trademarked already

LOL I think they offered me $6-7 for the Beatmania bundles I got from BB for $1.99 each. I went down the road and the one indy shop owner paid me $25 and $30 each. Big difference.

I just got back from the pawn shop near my house, where a woman just traded in a PS1 and a stack of games.

They turned some of her games away due to scratches, so I followed her out of the store and asked if I could see what she had... sadly it was garbage, so I had to say no thanks.

I went back in to ask if the games she just traded in were for sale yet, but they can't sell them til tomorrow :bomb:

I noticed Tomba in the stack, so for $5, I know where I'll be tomorrow morning at 10 am when the store opens. Hopefully there will be other goodies too. Will report back.

Last Friday I snagged Call of Duty 3 (complete) for 360 for $10 and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 for PS2 for $1.07 (complete)!!! Today I scored a Sixaxis for $5 and a Xbox360 512 Mem card for $10. Only reason I bought the memory card is because I need to swap saves from my sold 360 to my new one. I might have to sell it on Ebay afterwards to recoup damages.

[quote name='cranguy']I noticed Tomba in the stack, so for $5, I know where I'll be tomorrow morning at 10 am when the store opens. Hopefully there will be other goodies too. Will report back.[/quote]
Best of luck. Tomba was a great game. I had a demo of the first one.. I played it over and over and over. I hope to run across the full game someday.

When I went back to the pawn shop, they said the lady changed her mind and came back and turned the PSX into a loan.... which was a total fucking lie, especially when they gave her cash to begin with. *sigh*

Not really a good deal, it's the same price at KMart but I couldn't find the PS2 version, so I picked up.
:ps2:
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone $10
sealed.

On the up side this pawn shop pretty much has a flat rate for their games, based on the system, so I'll be stopping by every week or so to see if they have anything good.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Found Star Ocean: The 2nd Story (complete, non-GH) yesterday for $6[/quote]

What does GH stand for in this instance?

[quote name='Kosh']What does GH stand for in this instance?[/quote]
Greatest Hits.

Maybe... I'm not sure they did a GH version of that game.

[quote name='kube00']Also saw Halo 1, 2 $15 apeice used and Baldur's Gate dark Alliance $10 used, might bite on the halo 2.[/QUOTE]
Halo 1 is $10 at best buy so I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Well well well, look what appeared on the floor at the local pawn for $5:

Lady changed it into a loan, my ass. They were probably just lazy in stickering it and decided just to lie to me.

Oh well. It's mine now.

[quote name='mguiddy']Greatest Hits.

Maybe... I'm not sure they did a GH version of that game.[/quote]Yes they did... I own it ;)

[quote name='cranguy']
Yes they did... I own it ;)[/quote]

:whistle2:k

Every list of greatest hits games I've seen doesn't have it listed.

Would you post a picture?

From ebay:
cb3c_1.JPG

EDIT:
D'oh. Wrong Star Ocean. My bad.

I found 3 disc only copies of Persona for the PS1 the other day. I found one in a loose CD's at a pawn shop I frequent. I found two other copies in an ancient PS1 bin that had about 60 copies of NCAA 97. Ended up paying $6 for all 3. I'll have to resurface and test all three as they're all in rough shape. I also found Baldur's Gate II for the PS2 for $5, God of War II for $8, Gears of War for $10, and Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2) for $10. All in all, it was a very good day.

[quote name='thack']I found 3 disc only copies of Persona for the PS1 the other day. I found one in a loose CD's at a pawn shop I frequent. I found two other copies in an ancient PS1 bin that had about 60 copies of NCAA 97. Ended up paying $6 for all 3. I'll have to resurface and test all three as they're all in rough shape. I also found Baldur's Gate II for the PS2 for $5, God of War II for $8, Gears of War for $10, and Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2) for $10. All in all, it was a very good day.[/quote]

LOL Try telling my local pawn shops to actually price stuff THAT cheap. The fuckers use Egay as their barometer on what to charge, but hopefully once their game shelf is overflowing, they will change their minds and reduce prices.

But, I don't see that happening anytime soon either, since they have games in a box already behind the counter.

Not all pawn shops use ebay. Where I work I use ebay as a last resort or prices. The money we give is based on what we can sell it for. If someone brings in 3 copies of the 1st Splinter Cell for Xbox, I'll turn em away cause I already have 10 copies of it on the shelf.

Now most greatest hits games I'd give about 2-3 dollars for, cause I can sell em for about $10. New releases, it depends. Usually about 10.

But you can't knock it too bad. Pawn shops aren't charity, and you can't get your PS2 back from EB/GS. If you've got a place that knows what stuff is really worth, and what people will generally pay for it you're lucky. If you want to sell your games and you're not desperate for quick cash, I'll be the first to tell you to avoid a pawn shop. If you want to get the most out of your stuff, go to ebay.

Just scored Castlevania: Chronicles (PS1, complete in mint condition) for $3.99 today!!!! \\:D/

Also picked up Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS, complete) for $12.99.

I picked up a disc only Halo 2 for $4 that I took to GS and traded in for $15. Used that credit, plus a little money, to pick up a used copy of Ico.

They also had a disc only copy of Halo, but it was cracked.

What! Second Story was done GH for the original PSX, I've seen it all over at used stores. And you call yourselves gamers! Sheesh :lol:

I looked at two pawn shops for the first time today only to not really see anything. Their games were all $10, but 98% of them were some variation of a sports game. Mostly PS2/XBOX games and hardly anything else as well. I suppose the only thing I might have "bit" on had I owned either system, is that all games pre-2003 (PS2/XBOX) were only $1.

One place I was looking at was selling all of their PS2s for $90. Screw that, not to mention they looked like they haven't been cleaned since their creation.

This was from a thrift store, but whatever.
Fox hunt (PC) 100% complete - $7
Lemmings & oh no! More Lemmings (Playstation) complete - $3
Unreal strategy guide with soundtrack never opened and taken out of pocket - $5

Pretty good, I might edit in a picture later if I'm not feeling too lazy to look for my camera.

You've gotta keep checking.
Finding video games is very hit and miss.
There is a goodwill in town where I constantly go and never found anything, but I kept going. I found a few things here and there. The one day I found Silent Hill mint and complete.
Just stick with it, you'll eventually come across something good.

Edit - You live in Miami..shit..

Got the following from an out-of-town shop that I visited for the first time 2 days ago:

2x Wavebirds $10 ea
Resident Evil 2 PS1 disc only $5
Resident Evil 2 Platinum PC $5
Inuyasha Secret of the Cursed Mask PS2 $6 (they accidentally rang it up as a DVD... would have been $10)

The Resident Evils came out of a CD binder that was sitting under a PS1, marked "PS1 system + games $25." I asked the guy if there were games in the binder... he really didn't know, so he whipped it out.

I asked if they would sell games separately, and they were a bit hesitant. I offered $5 per game, which they took. Everything else in the binder was either crap PS1, crap PC, or burned PS1 games :roll: If there was anything else decent in there, I would have bought the whole set.

Not a bad haul, methinks.

How do you guys find pawn shops? I looked in the phonebook and I looked online and man...the stores that they sent me to were totally not pawn shops. For example, one sent me to a dry cleaners and the other sent me to a jewelry/watch repair shop. WTF?

I saw a copy of FF7 in a bookstore, but they are charging 50 for it. Is it worth picking up? It was a week back so I forgot if it was the GH version.

I got a mint copy of Sid Meier's Pirates for xbox for $10, almost got Silent Hill 3 as well for ps2 for $7 (would have resold that). But for the most part that pawn shop had shitty prices ripped from ebay. They did have a cloned NES console for $20 but Mario Party 1 for n64 for $25, ick.

Not quite a pawn shop, nor game related, but I got a killer deal this week.

I was waiting for my g/f to try on her Halloween costume on at the local thrift store, when what did I spy in their DVD case? A mint, shrinkwraped copy of Firefly, the complete series. Upon inquiring, I found out they had it priced at only $7.99. Needless to say I jumped on that. :D

Originally thought of resaleing it, but then I realized I've never actually seen the whole series. What I did see I loved, so I decided I'll keep it.

Edit: grammer and spelling

[quote name='matters38']
Edit: grammer and spelling[/quote]
:lol::rofl:;)

Also, nice score. I watched the first episode but didn't like it. *dodges stones* But I would have picked it up for that price to give it another go.

How do you guys find pawn shops? Do you look online, lookin in phone books, drive around, etc.? I looked in a phonebook and I was sent to a dry clearner or a watch/jewelry repair shop. Thanks for any advice. :)

Forza 2 (mint/complete) - $15
Dead or Alive 4 (mint/complete) - $15
Resistance: Fall of Man (mint/complete) - $20

All on my weekend trip to Austin. Awesome haul.

[quote name='pcktlnt']How do you guys find pawn shops? Do you look online, lookin in phone books, drive around, etc.? I looked in a phonebook and I was sent to a dry clearner or a watch/jewelry repair shop. Thanks for any advice. :)[/quote]

I'm assuming by your location being listed as Bay Area, that means San Fran, right?

If so, a quick internet search brought up NUMEROUS hits for pawn shops in your area. So, all I have to say is....check Google?

First listing that came up just searching MSN using the term: Pawn shops in the San Francisco area was:

http://www.sfstation.com/pawn-shops/business-directory

It's up to you to do the rest of the legwork though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm assuming by your location being listed as Bay Area, that means San Fran, right?

If so, a quick internet search brought up NUMEROUS hits for pawn shops in your area. So, all I have to say is....check Google?

First listing that came up just searching MSN using the term: Pawn shops in the San Francisco area was:

http://www.sfstation.com/pawn-shops/business-directory

It's up to you to do the rest of the legwork though.[/quote]
Hehe, no, I'm not from San Francisco. I'm an hour or so away from it. I'm in the San Jose area. I did a google, but I can't find any good information correctly. I can find thrift stores though. I'll try again next week when I have time to drive around. Cheers :)

I find it's best to call a pawn shop before I go there the first time. You can usually feel out what type of games they carry and a general price range. If the prices are high, or they don't carry video games, you can avoid wasting your time.

Found Mario Kart: DD for $10 (no manual) and Tomba 2 complete for $6 today. They had Mario Tennis and Kart for N64, but felt the need to double the price to $8 since the last time they had these :roll:

Got some good pickings this week.

PS1 all complete non gh in very good condition $4.99/ea
Castlevania: SOTN :hot:
Silent Hill :hot:
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Survivor
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve - including the bonus disk

PS2
Final Fantasy XII - 2 copies complete $6.99/ea :hot:
Suikoden III - missing manual $6.99
Shadow of the Colossus - complete $10

Found something I never thought I'd find in a pawn today...

PS1: Mobile Suit Z-Gundam Import. Looks like it was just taken out of the wrapper.

bread's done
Back