Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='dyeknom']Blockbuster Video rental on a cartridge, check and make sure it works. :)[/quote]
Yep, it works. Now I gotta decide if I wanna Ebay it or keep it.

I just found out that I have competition in my area. Some mexican guy goes to every pawn in Tampa & buys every non-sports game he can find, & then sells them for outrageous prices at the flea mkt. I visited his store & saw stuff like FFVII for $80, MvC2 (DC) for $50, etc. Funny thing is, no1 was in there for the 1st 15 mins i was there, & I coulda nabbed anything I wanted. Damn me for being so damn honest.:bomb:

[quote name='Segasonic01']Yep, it works. Now I gotta decide if I wanna Ebay it or keep it.

I just found out that I have competition in my area. Some mexican guy goes to every pawn in Tampa & buys every non-sports game he can find, & then sells them for outrageous prices at the flea mkt. I visited his store & saw stuff like FFVII for $80, MvC2 (DC) for $50, etc. Funny thing is, no1 was in there for the 1st 15 mins i was there, & I coulda nabbed anything I wanted. Damn me for being so damn honest.:bomb:[/quote]

My competition recenly decided to quit...to bad he told the pawnshop employees what stuff is worth, now i can't find anything worth purchasing, at most of the pawnshops.

Purchased a Wireless Les Paul guitar for the 360, brand new in the plastic still, for $35 a couple weeks ago. Other than that, they didn't have squat there. From what I understand, a lot of pawn shop owners will take the nice stuff they acquire and either keep it for themselves, or sell it on ebay.

Well, this month marks 1 year since I started going to the Pawns. To think of all the good stuff I've gotten this year makes me really happy. Here's some of the stuff I can remember:

MArio RPG-$1
Zelda: LTTP-$1
MvC2 (Xbox)-$8
ClayFighter 63 1/3 Sculptor's Cut-$6
Many N64 titles-$2 to $6
Many rarer PS1 titles-$8 each
Halo 2 x4 (1 CE)-$6 each
Clock Tower-$4
R6 Vegas-$6
Over G Fighters-$6
Blazing Angels-$6
Zelda CE x2-$8 each
OOT/ Master Quest x2-$10 & $8
FFVII x2-$6 & $8

Thanks a ton, CAG!

What is the guys ebay store name? It may be the same guy I have seen around. Most of us Tampa Pawn shoppers don't hoard, but there is this one guy who buys EVERYTHING he can get his hands on.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I went to Pawnshops today, all the good games were gone!! One Pawnshop owner told me that tons of people are using their tax rebates right now so there are tons of people buying and no one selling.[/quote]

I can definitely confirm that. At the shop I work at as soon as we put something nice out for sale it's gone. And nobody's selling...except for tools and jewelry.

Nothing super stellar today from the junk shop... but I did manage a box of dusty crap:

1 NES console, with all cables
3 NES controllers
SMB/Duck Hunt
Golf
Blades of Steel
Ice Hockey
Spy Hunter
Gotcha

A Nintendo 64 cart holder/drawer (One of the tracks on the inside is missing, but still opens/closes fine)

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (TG16) - Case, manual and card
Victory Run (TG16) - Case, manual and card

And..... a Power Glove, complete with adapter and all needed hardware... no manual though.

All for $20. Not my best haul ever, but sufficient.

[quote name='Otherguy676']What is the guys ebay store name? It may be the same guy I have seen around. Most of us Tampa Pawn shoppers don't hoard, but there is this one guy who buys EVERYTHING he can get his hands on.[/quote]

Al's games or something.

Al is the guy at the flea market on the corner of Fowler and Nebraska Ave. He cleaned out Rhino and is I believe he hits up Clearance Sales. His flea market store is priced OVER ebay and I believe he is a lurker on this site.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Al is the guy at the flea market on the corner of Fowler and Nebraska Ave. He cleaned out Rhino and is I believe he hits up Clearance Sales. His flea market store is priced OVER ebay and I believe he is a lurker on this site.[/quote]

I can't blame him, but i hate it when people buy up all the stuff and then try to get top, or above top dolar for it.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Al is the guy at the flea market on the corner of Fowler and Nebraska Ave. He cleaned out Rhino and is I believe he hits up Clearance Sales. His flea market store is priced OVER ebay and I believe he is a lurker on this site.[/quote]
ya, I don't see how he stays in business with those prices. I really hope no1 around here is dumb enough to pay.

Picked up Picross (DS) for $12.99. Not much of a markdown, but a markdown nonetheless. Also picked up Frequency (PS2) a couple weeks ago for around $5. Curious to see how it plays.

jumping flash 2 complete 5 bucks.
wooo
This was the first game I ever bought for my ps1, and played it up until I "upgraded" to a dreamcast on 9.9.99. ha

i remember the other day i went in there and saw a basketball card I wanted. .(it was a Jordan, "final floor") I didn't want it because it was a jordan I wanted it because it was from the Utah Jazz floor.. well on ebay i can purchase the same card for around 20 bucks.. you know pretty good priced card but not really lavishly rare or anything.. well at the pawn shop they wanted 150.. i laughed.. someone bought it though..

sometimes i find really nice condition RPGs.. i assume they are from kids' basements that parents are cleaning out and just take to the pawn shop because they have no use for them.. one haul i got Lufia 2 and SM RPG complete in boxes (well.. complete outside of maps/instruction manuals but everything else.. kinda weird..) so I still hold hope that I can find a copy of Earthbound or Suikodens..

Most pawn shops around me have crap games. I never go to any of them specifically looking for games but I always stop and see what they have. Here's what I saw in one shop recently:

An Xbox 360 HDDVD drive for $189
A PS3 for $420
A PSP for $139
Madden with Eddie George on the cover for $13
Some random UMD's for $14
A dusty old PS2 for $119

This was from one of the "chain" pawn shops. They have three or four scattered around town. The other hole-in-the-wall shops have very few, if any, games. I guess everyone in my city bends over at EB/GS.

[quote name='urzishra14']i remember the other day i went in there and saw a basketball card I wanted. .(it was a Jordan, "final floor") I didn't want it because it was a jordan I wanted it because it was from the Utah Jazz floor.. well on ebay i can purchase the same card for around 20 bucks.. you know pretty good priced card but not really lavishly rare or anything.. well at the pawn shop they wanted 150.. i laughed.. someone bought it though..

sometimes i find really nice condition RPGs.. i assume they are from kids' basements that parents are cleaning out and just take to the pawn shop because they have no use for them.. one haul i got Lufia 2 and SM RPG complete in boxes (well.. complete outside of maps/instruction manuals but everything else.. kinda weird..) so I still hold hope that I can find a copy of Earthbound or Suikodens..[/quote]

a shop around here grossly over prices it's items also, I found out that it is because they have to put it on the floor so they put an insane price on because someone they know is going to com in and get it later and they give him a huge discount.

Found Pikmin 2 (no manual) for $10 & GTA Double pack (Xbox, complete) for $3 today. The double pack is up for trade/sale if anyone wants it.

[quote name='SLOYAROLE']An Xbox 360 HDDVD drive for $189
[/quote]
:rofl:
Higher than retail since the first price drop.

[quote name='SLOYAROLE']Most pawn shops around me have crap games. I never go to any of them specifically looking for games but I always stop and see what they have. Here's what I saw in one shop recently:

An Xbox 360 HDDVD drive for $189
A PS3 for $420
A PSP for $139
Madden with Eddie George on the cover for $13
Some random UMD's for $14
A dusty old PS2 for $119

This was from one of the "chain" pawn shops. They have three or four scattered around town. The other hole-in-the-wall shops have very few, if any, games. I guess everyone in my city bends over at EB/GS.[/quote]

Here they mark Fat PSP's up to 169.99, and people pay that, I have no idea why, i guess people ahve no idea that they can go next door to walmart and get a new slim for that...

[quote name='Sinnbox']Here they mark Fat PSP's up to 169.99, and people pay that, I have no idea why, i guess people ahve no idea that they can go next door to walmart and get a new slim for that...[/quote]
They may want the fat for *cough*home brew.

I just got back from my favorite pawn shop with A mint complete FF7 and mint complete Metal Gear Solid! $10 total! I already have these games so I will sell them.

[quote name='mguiddy']They may want the fat for *cough*home brew.[/quote]

Not much homebrew in my town, mostly stuck up kids getting their moms to buy them a PSP. About the only homebrew in my town in some guy that smokes alot of homegrown and then tries to mod Xbox's...lol they are hideous, I picked up some from the pawnshop that they purchased unknowingly. my cost? $10 apiece!!

whoo.. good day today..

i got Halo 3 LE for 10 bucks.. go me.. they had N3 and Perfect Dark Zero.. not really games i wanted to even spend 10 bucks for.. but halo 3 woo.. it is complete as far as i can tell (manual, artbook 2 discs, metal case)

[quote name='urzishra14']whoo.. good day today..

i got Halo 3 LE for 10 bucks.. go me.. they had N3 and Perfect Dark Zero.. not really games i wanted to even spend 10 bucks for.. but halo 3 woo.. it is complete as far as i can tell (manual, artbook 2 discs, metal case)[/quote]

You mean CE right? The one with the helmet is called the Legendary Edition (LE). Still a great deal though!

well on the back it says "halo 3 limited edition".. i figured LE was the universal symbol for Limited edition.. no it did not come with the ridiculous helmet.

Super Pawn (Las Vegas) can go blow themselves. Nothing but Xbox titles and most of them are crappy sports games.

I did run across Panzer Dragoon Orta for $14.99 (no thanks) and Beyond Good & Evil at another for 10 bucks. Rule of thumb: I don't want to pay over 5 bucks for a last-gen game unless I know it's rare.

I was at a PS yesterday and they had a shelf with about 15 360's. They wanted $259 for most of them. Some were $239 (guess those were the RRoD units or something). I also saw NFS Pro Street (PS3) for $39. These shops must be ran by morons who think people are going to pay just under retail prices for their gaming stuff. They had the usual 200 copies of old Madden games all priced at $13.

[quote name='SLOYAROLE']I was at a PS yesterday and they had a shelf with about 15 360's. They wanted $259 for most of them. Some were $239 (guess those were the RRoD units or something). I also saw NFS Pro Street (PS3) for $39. These shops must be ran by morons who think people are going to pay just under retail prices for their gaming stuff. They had the usual 200 copies of old Madden games all priced at $13.[/quote]

Don't you love how pawnshops give $1 or $2 and charge $20+ for current gen stuff.

I went to a local pawn shop to turn my Wii into some cash on Friday, and they were going to give me $50. I had everything in perfect condition and took care of it since I bought it when it was first released. Okay, well they said this and I quote:

Your looking at getting $50 here. The new ones come with 3 games and an extra controller. :stares at me:
Mind you that this is TWO days before SSBB comes out and they tell me I can only get $50, screw that.

I was heading to a Kmart to see what I could find (nothing) when I passed up a Super Pawn that I didn't realize was over by Kmart. Checked it out and they had some pretty decent games. Ended up walking away with Radiata Stories (complete) for 10 bucks. Not bad, especially because I've been wanting this one for a while.

I stopped in at this UBER shady pawn shop in Culver City, hoping the ghetto location would result in some choice finds. Utter garbage. It was run by a family of Hassidic Jews, quite a site.

They told me to look in a case when I asked about games, they had maybe 2 Dreamcast sports games total as far as gaming went.

I need to try the REAL juicy ghetto locations, maybe those will be better.

[quote name='Ragekod']I went to a local pawn shop to turn my Wii into some cash on Friday, and they were going to give me $50. I had everything in perfect condition and took care of it since I bought it when it was first released. Okay, well they said this and I quote:

Mind you that this is TWO days before SSBB comes out and they tell me I can only get $50, screw that.[/quote]

This is why:

1) Even though I hate the site, Ebay is your friend

and

2) Don't buy a game system if you may later on have a need for the money that the system cost you.

Hence, this is why I'm not buying a PS3 or 360 until President Bush sends me my damned $300 or so tax rebate/economy stimulus $$$, since I look at it as kinda 'free' money. Well, I know it's not 'free', but hell, it's a nice incentive to go out and blow some $$$ on something I want anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is why:

1) Even though I hate the site, Ebay is your friend

and

2) Don't buy a game system if you may later on have a need for the money that the system cost you.

Hence, this is why I'm not buying a PS3 or 360 until President Bush sends me my damned $300 or so tax rebate/economy stimulus $$$, since I look at it as kinda 'free' money. Well, I know it's not 'free', but hell, it's a nice incentive to go out and blow some $$$ on something I want anyway.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't expecting the amount I paid for but at least a little more then $50, but I did end up selling to for $200 an hour later to a guy who was willing to pay top dollar for it. Good luck getting that check.

[quote name='Ragekod']I wasn't expecting the amount I paid for but at least a little more then $50, but I did end up selling to for $200 an hour later to a guy who was willing to pay top dollar for it. Good luck getting that check.[/quote]

$200 is top dollar!!!

Why didn't you sell it on here or on ebay. You would have gotten at least what you paid for it. I would have given you $250+ tax for it

[quote name='Ragekod']I wasn't expecting the amount I paid for but at least a little more then $50, but I did end up selling to for $200 an hour later to a guy who was willing to pay top dollar for it. Good luck getting that check.[/quote]

FYI: I don't deal on Ebay AT ALL.

And when I make deals here, I only take cold, hard CASH or a US Postal Service Money Order. Of course, accepting only those 2 forms of payment has lost me some deals, but I'm not crying over those few lost deals, that's for sure.

So, believe me, I wouldn't have to be 'waiting' for a check, since I don't take them AT ALL.

Oh and you seriously got ripped off, since $200 isn't quite 'top dollar' as far as I've seen for even a used Wii system. But, at least you sold it, right?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

So, believe me, I wouldn't have to be 'waiting' for a check, since I don't take them AT ALL.

[/quote]

Dude, you realize he was saying good luck waiting for that government rebate check, right? Not a check for something you sold. I think you can scale back the douchebaggery.

If he had to sell it, he had to sell it. I hate when people wax all superior like they've never bought something fun and then later needed some money for something.

i have a pretty good story..

i wanted the game "gun" (it was around the time it came out.. i wasn't willing to pay full price for it..or anythign but i wanted it..) this guy was trying to pawn it at the pawn shop.. the shop was probably going to give him around 5 bucks (they buy at 5 sell at 10.. reasonable i suppose) i said id give him 10 bucks for it and said something like "I just bought this game for 50 bucks why would I sell it to you for 10.." well i left and i found it at the shop later and learned from the owner (she saves me PS1/SNES games from time to time ) and she only gave him 2 dollars for it and he took it and left. mostly because he was being a jerk wad..

heh anyways..

[quote name='Synergy']Dude, you realize he was saying good luck waiting for that government rebate check, right? Not a check for something you sold. I think you can scale back the douchebaggery.

If he had to sell it, he had to sell it. I hate when people wax all superior like they've never bought something fun and then later needed some money for something.[/quote]

If he needed money for something why would you sell it for at the bare minimum $50 less than he could have gotten somewhere else?

If he had to sell it, fine, but normally if you have to sell something, you need money. Why would you toss out 50-70? He could have stood outside gamestop and sold that thing in about half an hour for retail price.

[quote name='urzishra14']i have a pretty good story..

i wanted the game "gun" (it was around the time it came out.. i wasn't willing to pay full price for it..or anythign but i wanted it..) this guy was trying to pawn it at the pawn shop.. the shop was probably going to give him around 5 bucks (they buy at 5 sell at 10.. reasonable i suppose) i said id give him 10 bucks for it and said something like "I just bought this game for 50 bucks why would I sell it to you for 10.." well i left and i found it at the shop later and learned from the owner (she saves me PS1/SNES games from time to time ) and she only gave him 2 dollars for it and he took it and left. mostly because he was being a jerk wad..

heh anyways..[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the one time I tried offering 2-5 for a Tony Hawk GBA game after somebody traded in abunch of GameBoy stuff for cash at GameStop and couldn't trade in the Tony Hawk game since they couldn't find it in the system. They turned me down as if it was too little although I'm sure they got about the same or less per a game for everything they traded in. If EBgames did take the Tony Hawk game it would have been different as I don't think they would have decided to keep it if only offered a buck or less :D

I could have sold it much higher, but the guy who wanted to but it had his kid in there with him and I felt that I should help a family out who wanted the system. I won't touch ebay since I've heard some bad stories about selling on there. I was short on cash and had to pay a friend who was visiting here because she let me barrow a lot of cash to by some stuff at the concerts we went to.

Yeah and I did mean good luck on getting the government check, sorry about the confusion.

[quote name='Synergy']Dude, you realize he was saying good luck waiting for that government rebate check, right? Not a check for something you sold. I think you can scale back the douchebaggery.

If he had to sell it, he had to sell it. I hate when people wax all superior like they've never bought something fun and then later needed some money for something.[/quote]

I misunderstood them, for that I do apologize. However, I've very rarely had to sell something I had for money for something I needed. Though, I did just sell most of my last gen games for $$$ to grab a 360 or PS3, but I changed my mind in the end.

some other weird things that I find in the pawn shops from time to time..

a really nice 8 track digital recorder (for recording music and the like) for 100 buck.. talked her down to 50 (it originally sells for like 400 bucks)

a really nice accoustic/electric guitar.. i paid 70 bucks (it was originally 400 new)

i see "music band equipment" ALL the time in there.. from old mixer boards to PA speakers to drum sets.. those really arn't cheap but they do sell.

since I don't own my own house or even a garage to put things in, I haven't had the pleasure of getting cheapo tools from the pawn shops yet. but i do see great deals on saws/electrical power tools from time to time.

Guitar "Stomp boxes".. i usually pay like 10-15 bucks for these when they comparably go for 20-60 "new" at guitar stores.

as for video game related things..

weird things i see in there from time to time.. like boxed SNES games.. i remember that era and keeping the boxes really wasn't a common practice so seeing such nice condition games with at least the box (usually without the instructions though, kind of weird) is somewhat of a percieved "rarity" for me.

places that say "they don't take genesis games" (i tried to pawn off a bunch of worthless drab for maybe a few bucks one time) and then i see Genny games in there at a later date.. i have two pawn shops in town, one that I think buys its stuff mostly from estate sales, and the other that buys stuff mostly from people .. i usually go to the latter because they have better prices on V-games (i'm sorry I won't spend 20 bucks a PS2 game..)

random complete series.. like I purchased complete buffy series for 2 bucks a disc ( i can't remember the total price) also purchased complete Dawson series (for my GF for 2 bucks a disc) but I never see just random seasons.. its kind of weird

random decent computers that are way overpriced..considering the deep discounts I get for most things at pawn shops sometimes others are just way way out of my league

does anyone notice all the really crappy offbrand guitars and the ilk there? or all the crappy TVs/Stereos..

I have been missing big time by skippin pawn shops...went into a local one today and picked up:

FF7
FF8
FF9
Golden Eye

All for 10 bucks, they had a 4 for 10 old games box. I almost died when i saw the games, all the psx games were mint, black label and had instruction manuals. I wonder how much people get rid of these gems for...2 bucks? Oh well their loss our win :)

bread's done
Back